Recommendations for good marriage finance books?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
JAIrwin

Recommendations for good marriage finance books?

Post by JAIrwin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:25 am

Hi Bogleheads (this is my first post here :happy )!

I've recently gotten engaged (great success!), and we're planning to be married in 2014.

As such, I wanted to begin reading up on the whole marriage-finance thing since most of what I've studied so far applies to being single.

Any one read any really awesome marriage-finance books that they would recommend that I pick up (I am looking for books about finances after the marriage, not on how to save money on your wedding, etc)?

Thanks!

Jacob
Jacob Irwin, graduate student/PF blogger

GeauxBR

Re: Recommendations for good marriage finance books?

Post by GeauxBR » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:30 pm

I'd find a local church offering Dave Ramsey's FPU or just work through the books together. Get on the same page as your spouse as early as possible when it comes to money/budget.

Not really a book rec, more of a newlywed rec. And congrats!

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:47 am

Jacob,
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your engagement.

Are you and your future spouse on the same page regarding finances? If not, that would suggest that BOTH of you should do some reading.

In any case, the books recommended in the wiki apply to married life, possibly even more than they apply to being single. In my view, a couple can live as cheaply as 1.7 single people, so you're going to get a boost :D

JAIrwin

Post by JAIrwin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:53 am

Thanks so much for the welcome and congrats! That's actually a great recommendation. I've read a lot of books in the past few years about personal finance and investing and sort of skimmed over the parts that didn't apply to me at the time. However, as new things happen in life, I probably should revisit those same books since they contain some good advice!

We are "more or less" on the same page about finances in that neither of us are overspenders and pretty frugal. The main difference is that we have a lot of disparity in net worth coming from different economic backgrounds, and she also has a good amount of student loan debt that she is working to pay off, so I'll have to get her accustomed to the habit of saving/investing once that is paid off!

Are you and your future spouse on the same page regarding finances? If not, that would suggest that BOTH of you should do some reading.

In any case, the books recommended in the wiki apply to married life, possibly even more than they apply to being single. In my view, a couple can live as cheaply as 1.7 single people, so you're going to get a boost :D
Jacob Irwin, graduate student/PF blogger