Municipal Bond Rules Changing?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
LFrugal

Municipal Bond Rules Changing?

Post by LFrugal »

Anyone else as concerned as I am that the federal tax exemption for municipal bonds may be in jeopardy as Washington seeks yet another source of revenue?

A recent budget request would eliminate or cap the exemption on tax-exempt bonds at 28 percent, making all or a portion of the interest on municipal bonds subject to federal taxation, increasing the cost of borrowing by your local utility and your local government.

If enacted, yet one more tax increase hitting those of us about ready to retire. Yikes!
NYBoglehead

Re: Municipal Bond Rules Changing?

Post by NYBoglehead »

I for one am not worried. The states and municipalities have no interest in seeing the tax-exempt status go away (in its entirety, capping the exemption might be different). The biggest beneficiaries of the tax-exempt status of municipal bonds are states like California, New York and New Jersey, which have a large proportion of the votes in Congress.

Secondly, even if they cap the exemption at 28% the overwhelming majority of people will not be affected, and to be the 28% in retirement means that you have $146,000 in TAXABLE income for MFJ (meaning at least $166,000 in total income using the standard deduction and personal exemption for MFJ). The tax-equivalent yields would still be attractive enough to draw investors, so I don't think that proposal would have that profound of an impact on the borrowing costs of states/cities/municipalities.
Topic Author
LFrugal

Post by LFrugal »

I'm guessing what would likely happen here is investors will simply demand a higher yield and state and local governments would suffer and would be forced to raise state and local taxes. So one may be free and clear on their federal return if under the income thresholds, yet hit right where they live with higher state and local taxes.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

Speculations on proposed or future legislation is off topic on this site.

Here's the relevant forum policy:
Politics and Religion

In order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited. The only exceptions to this rule are:
  • Common religious expressions such as sending your prayers to an ailing member.
  • Usage of factual and non-derogatory political labels when necessary to the discussion at hand.
  • Discussions about enacted laws or regulations that affect the individual investor. Note that discussions of proposed laws or regulations are prohibited.
  • Proposed regulations that are directly related to investing may be discussed if and when they are published for public comments.