Need help creating bonus criteria for myself

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
WHL
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Need help creating bonus criteria for myself

Post by WHL » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:25 pm

My boss has asked me to put together a list of criteria for the basis of my 2013 bonus. 30% of the bonus will come from company targets; he will take care of this. The remaining 70% of the bonus is up to me. His words: "bonus goals should be attainable, measurable, and outside of your day to day duties."

I am at a complete loss here. My only real plans are to search around the net hoping some people have been in a similar situation. Alternatively, I would like to propose that my company takes the money allocated for my bonus and uses it (plus some sort of match, potentially) for sending me to advanced training classes. While it would be nice, I honestly do not need the bonus money, and would rather build my skill set to get my base salary up. This makes me a more valuable and effective employee, as well.

Details about me that may help:

USA Service manager for a small but growing division of a European heavy equipment-type company.
Employed with this company for 5 months. Things are going well so far.
100% bonus potential is $13,000.
Company thus far has paid for some training and multiple trips to Europe - I do not see this changing.

If there is anything else I can provide I will be more than willing to do so. Thanks for your help!

Random Poster
Posts: 1638
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 am

Re: Need help creating bonus criteria for myself

Post by Random Poster » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:31 pm

WHL wrote:My boss has asked me to put together a list of criteria for the basis of my 2013 bonus. 30% of the bonus will come from company targets; he will take care of this. The remaining 70% of the bonus is up to me. His words: "bonus goals should be attainable, measurable, and outside of your day to day duties."

The "outside your day to day duties" part makes things a bit difficult, I'd presume. It implies to me that you'd get a bonus for successfully doing someone else's job in addition to successfully doing your own.

To that end, perhaps your first bonus-eligible accomplishment should be "create and implement 2013 bonus calculation methodology".

More seriously, do you have the ability to manage/mentor/supervise/direct anyone else? Are you in any way responsible for someone else's success?

User avatar
Lee Saage
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Georgetown, TX

Re: Need help creating bonus criteria for myself

Post by Lee Saage » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:42 pm

One of the schemes used by some of my more creative folks is to include as a goal completing one of those advanced training classes. Sort of accomplishes both objectives.
Most of my money went to fast cars, fast living and good wine. The rest I just wasted.

WHL
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Need help creating bonus criteria for myself

Post by WHL » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:46 pm

Random Poster wrote:
WHL wrote:My boss has asked me to put together a list of criteria for the basis of my 2013 bonus. 30% of the bonus will come from company targets; he will take care of this. The remaining 70% of the bonus is up to me. His words: "bonus goals should be attainable, measurable, and outside of your day to day duties."

The "outside your day to day duties" part makes things a bit difficult, I'd presume. It implies to me that you'd get a bonus for successfully doing someone else's job in addition to successfully doing your own.

To that end, perhaps your first bonus-eligible accomplishment should be "create and implement 2013 bonus calculation methodology".

More seriously, do you have the ability to manage/mentor/supervise/direct anyone else? Are you in any way responsible for someone else's success?
I thought about that after posting and I agree with you that it is somewhat vague. I'll try to elaborate without revealing too much...

My typical responsibilities are my customers and our equipment (service, maintenance, warranty), customer training, assisting with sales (being the technical expert to work with the potential customer engineer / service personnel), typical reports and schedules.

I do not manage anyone but myself, and I work with minimal supervision.

User avatar
Epsilon Delta
Posts: 7423
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: Need help creating bonus criteria for myself

Post by Epsilon Delta » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:48 pm

How about the water level on your favorite lake?

If you look at managements goals you'll find there's usually no requirement that the metric be something you have control over.

WHL
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Need help creating bonus criteria for myself

Post by WHL » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:48 pm

Lee Saage wrote:One of the schemes used by some of my more creative folks is to include as a goal completing one of those advanced training classes. Sort of accomplishes both objectives.
This was a part of my 2012 bonus and is already somewhat scheduled for 2013 as well. I have one fairly substantially large training I need to complete this year. Including more is definitely a good idea as that satisfies multiple desires, as you mentioned.

User avatar
Epsilon Delta
Posts: 7423
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: Need help creating bonus criteria for myself

Post by Epsilon Delta » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:19 pm

On a less snarky note:

It is possible that you and your boss have a different idea of what your daily duties are. If you have a job description you look through it and see if there's anything you do that is not on your list of duties, and use that to shape some of your goals.

Post Reply