What credit/charge cards do you have in your wallet?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
herks

What credit/charge cards do you have in your wallet?

Post by herks » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:21 pm

I've been consolidating my credit/charge cards, previously had about 5-6 most of which I wasn't using anyway to now 3. I pay my balance in full every month:

Citibank Thank You Premier Card (annual fee $75, I know it's $125/yr but I got grandfathered in and haven't paid a penny even though I'm suppose to pay the $75 annual fee. I call customer service and ask to be exempt every year and they have been kind enough to waive it)
PenFed Premium Travel Rewards American Express (no fee) - I use the citicard primarily because I bank with citibank and like to combination of reward points from my checking/saving account plus the citicard bonus. I thought if CItibank refused to waive the annual fee then I will cancel Citicard and switch to PenFed primarily, but Citi has waived the fee every year...
Discover (no fee) - thinking about cancelling Discover, I don't use it often frankly.

The question I'd like to know for those who pay their balances in full (which I suspect most do on this site), what cards do you currently own and why?

I don't know if the rewards cards I'm using is ideal for me. I travel moderately. Like to get rewarded when I make purchases.

Thanks.

Eldendor

Re: What credit/charge cards do you have in your wallet?

Post by Eldendor » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:27 pm

See this thread for some info: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 2&t=110360

My spenders:

1. Amex Blue - 6% groceries
2. Penfed Platinum - 5% gas
3. Citi Forward - 5% Amazon, 5% restaurants, 5% movie theatres
4. Discover - rotating categories and shopdiscover portal
5. UsBank Cash+ - 5% home improvement, 5% bill pay (soon to be nerfed though)
6. Chase Freedom - rotating categories
7. Barclay's Priceline - 2% everything else

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:31 pm

I keep my credit cards in my bedside nightstand drawer. If I put them all in my wallet, I wouldn't be able to walk because of the tilt to one side.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:33 pm

herks wrote:The question I'd like to know for those who pay their balances in full (which I suspect most do on this site), what cards do you currently own and why?
Capital One (cash back) -- This is my US dollar credit card for day to day purchases in the US, big dollar purchases in Canada, and on all purchases in other countries due to their lack of an international currency transaction add-on fee.

TD Canada Trust -- this is my Canadian dollar credit card for day to day purchases in Canada.

That's all I've got.

HighFive

Post by HighFive » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:24 pm

Just 1--US Bank Cash+: 2% gas or groceries, 5% on two categories of your choosing. Plus an additional $25 when you redeem $100.

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:39 pm

None for a multitude of reasons...

1. Seen my parents struggle with cc debt most of my childhood. Mom even taught me how to hang up on collectors!
2. These companies have the worst customer satisfaction ratings of just about any financial industry.
3. They continue to find new fees and ways to hike interest rates even after congressional hearings and new laws being passed.
4. Cash/negotitations/couponing makes me spend less (proven research on this...)
5. Many places offer good rewards programs (gas, groceries, etc.) even for people spending with cash/debit cards.
6. Debit cards do everything the cc does (online purchases, pay-at-pump) and does not potentially put me in debt.
7. With only 1 open bank account with my debit card, I've lowered my chances for ID theft (granted, there is still risk).
8. Setting a good example for my own children about being financially responsible.
9. Lots of checking accounts now offer interest on balances above a certain amount.

There's nothing a cc company can offer that will make me buy their piece of garbage....

tj

Post by tj » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:40 pm

In my wallet currently:
-Fidelity Amex (2% everything)
-Discover (5% restaurants)
-Citi Forward (5% restaurants for places that don't take discover)
-Chase Freedom (5% gas, $0.10 each for small transactions)
-Fidelity Visa (1.5% everything, for places that don' take Amex)
-Debit card

After April 1, I will remove the Discover, perhaps replacing with a Mastercard for the very unusual merchant that would only take MC.

I have several more cards in a drawer.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:58 pm

PenFed (visa? forgot) - 5% gas, 3% supermarkets, 1% everything else
Amazon Chase Visa - 3% on Amazon, 2% on drugstores and restaurants, 1% on everything else.
Barclays Sallie Mae Visa - 5% cashback up to $250 a month for gas and groceries and 5% cashback on books up to $750 a month and 1% everything else
Citi MC - 1% on everything (legacy)

jbmitt

Post by jbmitt » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:12 pm

Chase Subaru 3% on everything (redeemable in $100 increments to purchase, lease, service, parts & accessories)
Fidelity Amex 2% on everything

2stepsbehind

Post by 2stepsbehind » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:24 pm

whats in my wallet depends on the minimum spending I need to get the bonus/reward. Currently, working towards spending on a delta amex (70k bonus) and chase ink (50k ultimate rewards--good towards a statement credit of $500, airfare of $625, or can be transferred to travel partners).

crowd79

Post by crowd79 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:42 pm

Right now my primary cards are:

AMEX Preferred-6% back on groceries
Citi Preferred-5X (5%) Thank you points through March 31st on everything else including gas.

VTXVX

Post by VTXVX » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:49 pm

Delete
Last edited by VTXVX on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:01 pm

Just one, a B of A Visa rewards card. You know the commercials for the 1-2-3 card? That one. 1.1% everything, 2.2% restaurant, 3.3% gas. It was 1, 2, and 3 percents, but there's a 10% bonus on rewards when deposited into a B of A checking account (which I have, although the rewards don't stay there very long).

Looking at this thread, clearly I should have more. I also noticed at the L.A. Open on Saturday that using a Mastercard for payment gets the holder 2-for-1 on tickets. Thankfully my guest had one! So that's got me thinking that I should consider getting another card (I also have a B of A non-rewards Visa that I've had since 1999 that I use for my gym membership each month to keep it open. Maybe I'm misunderstanding credit scores)... specifically a non-Visa. For diversification or better rewards.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:17 pm

3, none have an annual fee

One for business that I've had 20+ years
One for personal that I've had the same length of time
One newer rewards card that I've had for 4 years.

fkampere

Post by fkampere » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:22 pm

Amex BCE - Groceries, and every day purchases.
Chase Freedom - Rotating categories
Citi Forward - Restaurants and Amazon
Discover It - Rotating categories (Thinking about closing though)

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:32 pm

I rarely use plastic. I carry one CC, from a bank walking distance from where I live, and a DC, from a bank also walking distance from where I live. Most months I use neither, especially the DC.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:06 am

In my wallet:
AT&T Universal Platinum card (MasterCard) - joint account with my wife; used for stuff we buy/do together, for the house etc.
SunTrust Platinum Rewards VISA - for stuff I buy for myself, in person (not online).

Next to my computer:
Chase Freedom VISA - for my personal online purchases (books, music, hobby stuff).

That's it for me. My wife has an AT&T Universal card on the joint account, and a local department store card that she uses only occasionally.

We always pay balances in full every month.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

harikaried

Post by harikaried » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:23 am

5% restaurant/amazon Citi Forward
2% everything else Priceline
jbmitt wrote:Chase Subaru 3% on everything (redeemable in $100 increments to purchase, lease, service, parts & accessories)
Interesting. This is the first I've heard of this card. What do /you/ end up spending the rewards on?

It's a Mastercard with a $500/year reward cap with some expiration time (4yr?). You have a second 2% everything card because of that limit?

nirvines88

Post by nirvines88 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:37 am

Discover with rotating 5% rewards (currently restaurants), 1% cash back on everything else

Thinking about getting another one in the near future, not sure which though!
"Beware of little expenses, a small leak will sink a great ship" - Poor Richard

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:33 am

1 VISA - has a cash back / rewards program
1 MC - had that one since the early 70's
1 Bank Debit card - to get money out of the ATM
herks wrote:I've been consolidating my credit/charge cards, previously had about 5-6 most of which I wasn't using anyway to now 3.
You raise an interesting concern. My wife, who is a lot more aware of our credit score than I, has a rather convoluted theory on the factors that effect the credit score: How much of the available balance do you use each month, how long have you had a card, how many cards have you cancelled, etc.

I don't know if any of it is true; however, you might want to check on how a credit score is calculated and what impacts the score before you get too far down the line on consolidation.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:46 am

Discover - 20+ years, for cash back and rotating categories
M/C - points reward card
M/C - holdover from college days, this is the one card where they said just mail in your college id and get a card. Not really, needed to give just about everything but my blood to get one, oh and write them a letter as well - but I did get a higher than average credit limit for all my hard work. :oops:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:06 am

Here is the plastic I have that I can use for buying stuff:
Brent's Deli (GC)
Disney Visa (CC)
Neiman Marcus (SC)
Macy's Thanks for Sharing (GC)
WF Visa (CC)
BA Debit (DC)
CU Visa (CC)
Disney Rewards Redemption (GC)
Firestone (SC)
Elephant Bar (GC)
Discover (CC)
Conoco-Phillips-76 (SC)
CU Debit (DC)
Starbucks (GC)
BA Amex (CC)
Nordstom (SC)
BankotWest (DC)
Macy's (SC)
Red Robin (GC)
Sears (SC)
JC Penny (SC)
WF Debit (DC)
AT&T Universal MC (CC)

mrspremise

Post by mrspremise » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:16 am

I like to keep it fairly simple:
Amex Blue Cash - no fee, grandfathered into 1% everywhere and 5% gas, grocery & drugstore after the first $6500, has a high credit limit and we use this as our primary card
Chase Freedom - no fee, 1% casback on everything + 5% rotating categories, fairly nice online vendor cashback program, and it's a Visa so it gets taken most places the Amex doesn't

I had a Macy's card once, but it closed automatically from disuse!I have considered the Amazon credit card, although if I'm on top of things I can by amazon gift cards at the grocery store and get 5% back instead of 3%.

Edit: Forgot my Target RedCard which is actually a debit card, but gets me an extra 5% and free shipping at Target. It was actually the free shipping that did it for me- they can track my spending information anyway since I always use the same card otherwise.
Last edited by mrspremise on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fclevz

Post by Fclevz » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:18 am

I seem to be pretty alternative as my wallet is as simple as can be - I don't have one.
I only carry two cards; a Charles Schwab Platinum Debit Card, and my driver's license. That's it. I haven't even carried any cash for more than two years.

Cheers,
Fred

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:59 pm

Fclevz wrote:I seem to be pretty alternative as my wallet is as simple as can be - I don't have one.
I only carry two cards; a Charles Schwab Platinum Debit Card, and my driver's license. That's it. I haven't even carried any cash for more than two years.

Cheers,
Fred
Amen, bother! They don't pass those things out just to give you a deal! :idea:

RyeWhiskey

Post by RyeWhiskey » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:40 pm

Keep it simple:
PenFed Platinum Rewards: 5% Gas, 3% Groceries
USBank Cash +: 5% Restaurants, 5% other category of your choice, 2% drug stores

Gas, Groceries and Restaurants are most people's biggest expenses so it makes sense to maximize these categories year round with the minimum amount of cards. I've been looking this over for a while now and this is best set-up I can muster.
This post was brought to you by Vanguard Total World Stock Index (VTWSX/VT).

desertgoose

Post by desertgoose » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:00 pm

I've seen the Citi Forward card mentioned quite a few times. My understanding is that you get "Thank You Points" instead of actual cash back. For those of you that use the card, do you redeem the points for gift cards (it looks like you could get a $25 gift card for 2,500 points) or this there some other redemption option available?

tj

Post by tj » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:09 pm

desertgoose wrote:I've seen the Citi Forward card mentioned quite a few times. My understanding is that you get "Thank You Points" instead of actual cash back. For those of you that use the card, do you redeem the points for gift cards (it looks like you could get a $25 gift card for 2,500 points) or this there some other redemption option available?

In the past I bought $100 walmart gift cards and sold to plastic jungle for $90 (effectievly 4.5% cashback), now I just redeem for Amazon gift cards.

sesq

Post by sesq » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:25 pm

desertgoose wrote:I've seen the Citi Forward card mentioned quite a few times. My understanding is that you get "Thank You Points" instead of actual cash back. For those of you that use the card, do you redeem the points for gift cards (it looks like you could get a $25 gift card for 2,500 points) or this there some other redemption option available?
The three best options are:

1. If you fly and have the Citi TY Premiere you get 1.33 cpp towards tickets, making the 5X category a 6.65% value.
2. At times gift cards are on sale. I have gotten $200 from Old Navy (kids clothes) for 16K (1.25 cents per point).
3. You can redeem for "student loan" or "mortgage payments" for a penny a point, and they will mail you a check. I have never done it, but I am told that some folks request that the check for their "mortgage" be made out to the bank where they keep a checking account, and low and behold it deposits.

To the OP, my wallet consists of:
1. Citi Forward (5x Dining & Amazon)
2. Amex BCP (6% Groceries, 3% Gas)
3. whatever card I am working on minimum spend on to get a bonus (currently a UA card). I got 15 new cards last year primarily for bonuses, and expect to be more conservative in 2013 and get 6-8.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:29 pm

Suntrust Debit
CapOne 360 Debit
Amazon Rewards Debit
Wells Fargo Command Debit
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

jbmitt

Post by jbmitt » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:40 pm

harikaried wrote:
jbmitt wrote:Chase Subaru 3% on everything (redeemable in $100 increments to purchase, lease, service, parts & accessories)
Interesting. This is the first I've heard of this card. What do /you/ end up spending the rewards on?

It's a Mastercard with a $500/year reward cap with some expiration time (4yr?). You have a second 2% everything card because of that limit?
My family has always owned Subarus, between my parents, sister, and I, we have 4 accounts each earning the $500 annual max. Our dealer is flexible for us to swap them among ourselves. The program used to allow them to be bought and sold on places like nasioc.com but I think it's been revised to transferable within a 'household'. Between synthetic oil changes (with a coupon of course), tires, etc they've been useful. Our dealer will typically price match most local shops. I used $2000 towards the downpayment on my '12 Impreza Sport.

In our situation it makes sense, for others, cash might be a better perk.

The Fidelity AMEX goes to my annual roth contributions and becomes my primary card when I exhaust the subaru points at $500 or if I'm behind on my roth contributions.

bru

Post by bru » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:55 pm

gvsucavie03 wrote:
Fclevz wrote:I seem to be pretty alternative as my wallet is as simple as can be - I don't have one.

Cheers,
Fred
There's always one who who extolls the virtues of no credit cards. And I just shake my head.

Meanwhile the rest of us take our cash back (hundreds or more per year), using the float to buy something today and not pay for it for 45 days or so, doubling the manufacturer's warranty and all the other benefits credit cards offer. Of course most Bogleheads (and SD'ers and FW'ers) pay 'em off monthly, pay no annual fees, etc. so all the benefits are gravy. I charge practically everything, even something under $1. My wife still likes to pay cash, but I do my best to get her to use the cards. You should try it.

As for me (and my wife):

Chase Freedom (1%, 5% rotating cats, and bonus CB for being a Chase bank customer)
Citibank Dividend Card (1%, 5% rotating cats)
Discover It (recently converted) (1%, 5% rotating cats)
Target REDcard (5% off immediately at Target, target.com)

mike143

Post by mike143 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:05 pm

Amex Blue - 6% groceries
Penfed Platinum Visa - 5% gas
Citi Forward Visa- 5% Amazon, 5% restaurants
Fidelity Amex - 2% everything
Priceline Visa- 2% everything
Random Mastercard for Sam's Club
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.

Fclevz

Post by Fclevz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:32 am

bru wrote:
gvsucavie03 wrote:

Cheers,
Fred
There's always one who who extolls the virtues of no credit cards. And I just shake my head.

Meanwhile the rest of us take our cash back (hundreds or more per year)...
No need to shake your head in my direction, as no debt is what helped me to retire at age 43 :)
But I wasn't actually mentioning the debit card because I'm anti-credit, but rather because of the simplicity factor. With a credit card, I have to deal with the transaction twice; once when I buy something and again when the bill comes. I'm lazy. Who wants that extra work?

Cheers,
Fred

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:42 am

mike143 wrote:Amex Blue - 6% groceries
I could find all of these with Google except the Random Mastercard. Or did you mean to say you have 12 mastercards and pick one at random each day to carry with you for the next 24 hours?

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:01 am

Fclevz wrote:
bru wrote:
gvsucavie03 wrote:

Cheers,
Fred

Meanwhile the rest of us take our cash back (hundreds or more per year)...
No need to shake your head in my direction, as no debt is what helped me to retire at age 43 :)
But I wasn't actually mentioning the debit card because I'm anti-credit, but rather because of the simplicity factor. With a credit card, I have to deal with the transaction twice; once when I buy something and again when the bill comes. I'm lazy. Who wants that extra work?

Cheers,
Fred
I'm with you, Fred. I rarely use credit or debit cards. I carry them with me in case I need them, mainly for big-ticket item purchases or for smaller purchases in case I don't have enough cash to pay for them. I retired in 2008 at 45 and with no debt since 1998 when I paid off my mortgage. I don't like dealing with CC transactions twice, as it is extra work for me. Cash back offers me very little, as I would be able to charge maybe $2,000 a year that I now pay in cash (mostly groceries). So 3% cash back is $60 a year or $5 a month, hardly worth the inconvenience of making a CC payment every month (most months I have no CC bill; I had maybe 4 CC bills in all of 2012).

travellight

Post by travellight » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:44 am

I carry several but really just use whichever bonus I am working on currently. It is a Citibank AA Advantage card currently.

mike143

Post by mike143 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:14 am

sscritic wrote:
mike143 wrote:Amex Blue - 6% groceries
I could find all of these with Google except the Random Mastercard. Or did you mean to say you have 12 mastercards and pick one at random each day to carry with you for the next 24 hours?
Its a specific Mastercard but I don't feel like getting my wallet right now. It provides no benefits that I know of, I only carry it for when I go to Sam's Club. If I remember I will stop by Walmart and buy a Walmart gift card with my 2% card and use it as Sam's, but sometimes I forget.

Also note you have to also get the Citi Diamond Preferred Visa (and link Thank You accounts) with the Citi Forward Visa to get 5% ($0.01 per point) cash back, else its 4% ($0.008 per point).

I actually put more cash back in the ATM than I take out. I despise cash and it for some reason likes to sacrifice it self to worthless purchases, such as lotto. When I can make at least 2% on everything, why would I carry cash?

Note: I don't carry any credit card debt, pay off in full every month. The only time I do is to float a purchase at 0% for 12-15 months.

Note 2: I use to buy $500 Visa gift cards with my 6% grocery but they capped the purchases at $7,500 now. I will probably downgrade to the 3% card without the annual fee since the bulk of my grocery purchases do not count at 6% (ALDI, Walmart, Sam's Club).

gnosis

Post by gnosis » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:22 am

Discover More - 5%-20% cash back from rotating categories & ShopDiscover cashback portal
Chase Freedom Visa - 5% cash back from rotating categories, alternative to Discover card
PenFed Visa - 5% cashback at gas stations
Starwood Amex - about 2% back in points that I've always redeemed for hotel stays

midareff

Post by midareff » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:22 am

everything paid off monthly

2. Penfed Platinum Cash - 5% gas
3. FIDO Amex 2% on everything
4. Discover - 5% for rotating categories.
5. FIDO Visa 1 1/2% on everything for the places that don't take Amex

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:31 am

Only one cc--Marriott (Chase) Black card. Love those Marriott reward points. Wife and I are going to Edinburgh and London this summer for 12 nights using Marriott points for hotels and airfare. I pay off the balance every month.

mike143

Post by mike143 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:37 am

For those that take non cash rewards, are they at least equal to 2% or greater cash value? The only time I have seen non cash reward that were worth more than 2% cash was for flights (flyertalk.com).

bru

Post by bru » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:35 am

Fclevz wrote:No need to shake your head in my direction, as no debt is what helped me to retire at age 43 :)

Cheers,
Fred
Yes I guess the five minutes or so you might spend every month is too much "extra work" for free money. I see posts here about the few pennies people save, to not take free money seems ridiculous to me. Oh and then there's the occasional deals like when Discover offered Gas Cards for .50 on the dollar. I use CCs to my advantage.
Last edited by bru on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

bru

Post by bru » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:38 am

scrabbler1 wrote:
I don't like dealing with CC transactions twice, as it is extra work for me. Cash back offers me very little, as I would be able to charge maybe $2,000 a year that I now pay in cash (mostly groceries). So 3% cash back is $60 a year or $5 a month, hardly worth the inconvenience of making a CC payment every month (most months I have no CC bill; I had maybe 4 CC bills in all of 2012).
Free money is free money. $60 would buy a nice dinner or whatever. As for inconvenient, all my CCs are either auto pay or in one minute I pay it online.

KWu

Post by KWu » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:46 am

Citi Divident Platinum MC
Military Star Card

I've had the Citi card ever since I turned 18 and enrolled into college. I've been accumulating cash back ever since and usually request the rewards checks when I hit $250 in cash back. I got the Military Star card to get $0.05 off the pump price on post, which is usually cheaper than buying gas off post.

WHL

Post by WHL » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:36 am

Haven't left a balance on a cc in years...

Don't use debit cards because I don't want someone able to empty my bank accounts if they somehow skimmed the numbers

I whore rewards credit cards for the sign-up bonuses like crazy. I've completed the chase sapphire preferred, us airways, united, American, alaska, southwest, and other cards I can't remember.

I'm currently spending on my chase ink plus business card, when it's done I'll go back to using my CSP until I get my next round of credit cards.

Thousands of dollars in bonuses in the form of airline bonus miles is insanely awesome. I don't fly much personally but fly a ton for work so it's nice to have the miles to upgrade my work flights or buy my personal trips.

I think whn I'm done with this ink card I'll have enough miles for five first class international flights :)

SPG8

Post by SPG8 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:53 am

midareff wrote:everything paid off monthly

2. Penfed Platinum Cash - 5% gas
Same. Stayed with PenFed cash, and spend enough on groceries to cover the Amex fee.

porcupine

Post by porcupine » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:57 am

scrabbler1 wrote:[...]I'm with you, Fred. I rarely use credit or debit cards. I carry them with me in case I need them, mainly for big-ticket item purchases or for smaller purchases in case I don't have enough cash to pay for them. I retired in 2008 at 45 and with no debt since 1998 when I paid off my mortgage. I don't like dealing with CC transactions twice, as it is extra work for me. Cash back offers me very little, as I would be able to charge maybe $2,000 a year that I now pay in cash (mostly groceries). So 3% cash back is $60 a year or $5 a month, hardly worth the inconvenience of making a CC payment every month (most months I have no CC bill; I had maybe 4 CC bills in all of 2012).
You should not be participating in this discussion! ;-)

If you retired at 45, that implies you saw no need to work further and are well set, financially speaking, in life. That is not the case with most Bogleheads. Most of those who are still out there earning money would not mind a little more work to earn a little more.

- Porcupine

volleyballfwtx

Post by volleyballfwtx » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:05 pm

Bank of America MasterCard (CC) - I use it to pay bills so I can accumulate reward points.
Wells Fargo Visa (CC) - For emergencies.

Just to have just in case (convenience), and I have had these cards for a long time.

jbreittling

Post by jbreittling » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:37 pm

I carry two cards.

Discover w/ cash back bonus - used for 100% of my purchases, paid off in full every month.
Visa through my insurance company - only have it in the event something happens to my Discover card (fraud/identity theft).