Self Employment Question

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:58 pm

Self Employment Question

Postby Gettingrich » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:18 am

Last edited by Gettingrich on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:58 pm

Re: Self Employment Question

Postby Gettingrich » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:43 pm

bueller? bueller ?

User avatar
Posts: 1457
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:02 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Self Employment Question

Postby Raybo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:58 pm

There is no paper work the IRS requires you to fill out in advance.

Obviously, you may be required to sign contracts with employers and you will likely get 1099 forms for some/all of the revenue you earn. You won't get 1099s for some/all of your gaming wins and losses and I would suggest that you get a log book where you note date, time, place, and win/loss for each gambling session, so that, if necessary, you can show contemporaneous notes to bolster your tax form entries.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:06 pm

Re: Self Employment Question

Postby mgcfo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:18 pm

In the scenario you provide, there is probably nothing else you need to do (additional filings would be required if you were passing the income through a single member LLC taxed as an s-corp, but I doubt that's your situation).

As a professional gambler, you will file those earnings and expenses (if any) on Schedule C. In the contractor situation, those earnings will be listed on a second Schedule C. Make sure you track any out-of-pocket expenses to offset the contractor revenue on that applicable Schedule C.

In both cases, the payers will normally request a W-9 from you, but those are typically sent/mailed to you to complete which enables those entities to submit a 1099-Misc to you and the IRS each January.

I may be reading too much into your question, but on the paperwork question, there's always the possibility you may need a local business license in the contractor situation, but given the nature of the income, this is probably doubtful.

Posts: 55289
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Self Employment Question

Postby livesoft » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:20 pm

Lots of great info here: Just read the ones with interesting titles first. They might lead to others to read.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Return to “Personal Finance (Not Investing)”