1040 X refiling

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:10 pm

1040 X refiling

Post by 3274Winston » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:58 pm

I have never had to file an amended return. It appears all I have to do is submit the two pages of the 1040 X is that correct?

User avatar
Posts: 1888
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:50 am

Re: 1040 X refiling

Post by SSSS » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:05 pm

Any forms from your original return that change (besides your 1040) will probably need to be resubmitted as well.

If you used tax software to prepare your original return, it should be able to handle it easily.

When in doubt, read the instructions here:

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Form-1040X,-Amen ... Tax-Return

One relevant bit:
Assembling Your Return

Assemble any schedules and forms behind Form 1040X in order of the “Attachment Sequence No.” shown in the upper right corner of the schedule or form. If you have supporting statements, arrange them in the same order as the schedules or forms they support and attach them last. Do not attach correspondence or other items unless required to do so, including a copy of your original return.

Attach to the front of Form 1040X:

A copy of any Forms W-2, W-2c (a corrected Form W-2), and 2439 that support changes made on this return;

A copy of any Form W-2G and 1099-R that support changes made on this return, but only if tax was withheld; and

A copy of any Forms 1042S, SSA-1042S, RRB-1042S, and 8288-A that support changes made on this return.

Attach to the back of Form 1040X any Form 8805 that supports changes made on this return.

If you owe tax, enclose (do not attach) your check or money order in the envelope with your amended return. See the instructions for line 19, earlier.

Posts: 324
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:31 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: 1040 X refiling

Post by HouseStark » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:51 am

If you are subject to a state income tax, you could often be required to also file an amended state return for that year, if the state tax would also be affected. It would not always be required since some changes you make on an amended 1040 would not result in changes to your state income tax. In that case, you may not be required to file an amended state return. In cases where the federal amend does affect the state return, you are usually REQUIRED to file an amended state return within a certain period of time. Consult your state revenue department for the applicable forms and rules.

Post Reply