Best/most economical fax solution?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
tdhg566

Best/most economical fax solution?

Post by tdhg566 »

If this is in the wrong forum, apologies and pls move it

What service(s) do people on this forum use to fax documents? I'll be retiring in a few weeks and need to figure out how I'll send and receive fax documents when I no longer have access to the company fax machine. Do people just go to Kinkos and pay $1pp? I'll be doing enough faxing that $1pp isn't an option.

Direct faxing with a machine/phone line isn't an option due to the "local only" phone line configuration of our ATT UVerse account. We use our cell phones for all long distance

PC based programs, including Outlook plug-ins aren't an option because my wife uses Apple equipment.

I've reviewed every web based fax service I can find, and http://www.trustfax.com seems to have the best price for casual uses. Anyone know anything about it? Besides being web based the advantage is a low fixed price ($3.33/mo, or $0.25pp); they also have other account choices with cheaper pp arrangements if my volume increases.

Would appreciate your thoughts
As an Enrolled Agent I advise clients about taxes and investments. My work is retiree friendly, geographically portable, mentally stimulating, personally profitable and emotionally rewarding.
rwm

Post by rwm »

I am very happy with myfax.com. It has been reliable and fast. You will have to check them out to see if they have a plan to meet your needs.

rwm
FlyingDiver

Post by FlyingDiver »

I'm using myfax.com as well. Seems like a pretty good service.

joe
rwwoods

Post by rwwoods »

Windows has a built-in fax program. You can find it under Accessories/Communications. Your PC will need to have a modem card and phone line connection. Add a scanner and you are all set.
modal

Post by modal »

You can get fax machine cheap these days. I'd just go ahead and buy one, unless you think it's too much clutter for your house.

"Direct faxing with a machine/phone line isn't an option due to the "local only" phone line configuration of our ATT UVerse account. " You should be able to bypass that.
Topic Author
tdhg566

Post by tdhg566 »

modal wrote:You can get fax machine cheap these days...
Sorry that I wasn't clear in my original post. My house land line is local calls only, so a physical fax machine isn't an option. Besides, after being in the computer business for 40 years I'm really not interested in buying and maintaining network or communications equipment. I want to pay for the service, but have someone else maintain the infrastructure. That's why I don't have Tivo, but do use a DVR from ATT (and previously from a cable company). This is also why I want a web based service and not a client (Outlook, Windows) based service. My wife needs access to the fax service from her various/multiple Apple machines
As an Enrolled Agent I advise clients about taxes and investments. My work is retiree friendly, geographically portable, mentally stimulating, personally profitable and emotionally rewarding.
FlyingDiver

Post by FlyingDiver »

modal wrote:You can get fax machine cheap these days. I'd just go ahead and buy one, unless you think it's too much clutter for your house.

"Direct faxing with a machine/phone line isn't an option due to the "local only" phone line configuration of our ATT UVerse account. " You should be able to bypass that.
His phone line can't make long distance calls. Makes a fax machine kinda worthless. Adding LD capability to that line is probably going to cost more than using myfax.com or similar.

joe
Topic Author
tdhg566

Post by tdhg566 »

FlyingDiver wrote:I'm using myfax.com as well...joe
Thanks for both endorsements of myfax. I will look at them again. Currently their minimum arrangement is $10/mo, with a correspondingly higher nbr of pages. I'm not sure I need that many pages, but that day may come. Might make sense to just settle into the right long term service. Thanks again.
Topic Author
tdhg566

Post by tdhg566 »

FlyingDiver wrote:His phone line can't make long distance calls. Makes a fax machine kinda worthless. Adding LD capability to that line is probably going to cost more than using myfax.com or similar...joe
Yes, I've just completed a full consolidation of my communications equipment and rationalized four vendors (Sprint, Cingular, MCI, Comcast) down to one (ATT), yielding an approximate 40% savings in my monthly phone, internet and TV costs. While the youngest daughter was in college (out of state) I had the $50/mo MCI plan that allowed unlimited calling anywhere, anytime. Wife and daughter got their money's worth out of that I'm absolutely sure, and I never cared how much they talked.

We don't need that amount of service any more, and our cell phones provide all the LD capability we need. Actually don't need a house land line at all, except ATT requires it for UVerse. So I have the $11/mo option, part of how I obtained the 40% savings. Not only does it lack LD, it also limits me to a fixed number of outbound calls each month. But that's OK too :lol:
Justin618

Post by Justin618 »

no long distance calling --- simple solution.

Do what I did (when I didn't have long distance) ---- buy an inexpensive fax machine and then just buy a long distance calling card (as low as 2 cents / min). You can call the card's 1-800 number w/o long distance service.

Justin

as point of advice - pay the extra money for the black/white laser printer - fax films have a short durability and high replacement costs.
G12

Post by G12 »

except ATT requires it for UVerse
Have you had a good experience with UVerse? Might check it out after our cable deal expires.
sportal

online fax solutions.

Post by sportal »

The original was efax. But their prices aren't the best, and I didn't like having to use their reader on the free accounts.

I've been very happy with maxemail.

The cheapest plan is $24 a year (much cheaper than myfax $10 a month). You get your own dedicated incoming number. You can receive faxes or voicemails on this incoming line. Faxes are received in your email inbox as a PDF, or you can go to the website and retrieve them from there. Same with voice messages.

Regarding outbound, you can send them via email, or via your computer. For example if you have a word document you want to send, you just upload it via the web page.

It gets a little more complicated if you need to return a filled out signed form. My solution for that is usually to scan in the completed form to a computer and upload it via the web page. Or if I'm lazy go to a real fax machine.

One side benefit of the maxemail account, is that the voicemail is included. So if you have to give someone out a number, but would rather not give them your home phone or cell phone, give them this number, and you will get the voicemail in your inbox.
Topic Author
tdhg566

Post by tdhg566 »

Justin618 wrote:...buy an inexpensive fax machine and then just buy a long distance calling card...
The long distance calling card is a good idea, but I should have clarified that I don't want to buy ANY additional equipment and certainly not fax specific equipment. We already have a high quality scanner (photography is one of our hobbies). All I need is the fax service
Topic Author
tdhg566

Post by tdhg566 »

G12 wrote:Have you had a good experience with UVerse?...
UVerse has only been installed a few weeks, but so far it's been fine. I might mention a few things about the entire transition. In no particular order:

-The installer's locally initiated line test measured worse quality than did the remotely initiated test that was done when I signed up. So a lineman had to be called, who found a problem in my cable pair at the pole. That took a few hours and almost required the installer to reschedule. So just because they tell you it will work at your house, wait until the installer confirms it.

-You may find certain channels not in your package work at first, then drop off weeks later. Wife watches CNN a lot, and mistakenly had it on CNNI (rather than CNN) one evening. Screen suddenly went blank and message appeared saying we hadn't subscribed to the channel. I called and it took the tech support guy quite a few minutes to realize what had happened. Seems that channels would either work or not on day one. Not so

-If you do a UVerse deal at a re-branded Cingular store, you'll be speaking with an ATT rep and not a mobile phone salesperson. Even so, they're not all created equal. At one store I asked the rep how many RJ45 (ethernet) jacks were on the back of the modem and he was clueless. I might as well have been speaking Greek. But he did call someone and find out the answer, and called me back. I ended up using the downtown Cingular store in my office building, not the one near my house. The downtown store was better equiped to deal with my questions.

-If they offer you this discount and that credit, get each and every one of them IN WRITING, something like a home sale settlement statement. And get the salesperson's cell phone number. I had $50 and $100 credits and $10 monthly discounts and 10% monthly discounts flying around all over the place when I was negotiating. I wrote them all down. No surprise some things didn't get onto the bill, or else didn't show up for 3+ months. But my sales guy fixed everything.

-Realize that changing the sign at the store from Cingular to ATT doesn't do a thing for their back in CRM and accounting systems. I still get two bills, one for wireless and one for Internet/TV. They admit they could combine them, but it would mean dropping a 10% loyal customer/win-back discount and taking a 5% combined billing discount. What I was originally told is that the combined billing discount would be in addition to the others I was already enjoying.

Hope this helps
kpanghmc

Free faxing

Post by kpanghmc »

I haven't checked out the options endorsed in this article, but for the price of free there's really nothing to lose:

http://freebies.about.com/od/freeservic ... faxsar.htm
Kevin
Topic Author
tdhg566

Re: online fax solutions.

Post by tdhg566 »

sportal wrote:The original was efax. But their prices aren't the best, and I didn't like having to use their reader on the free accounts.

I've been very happy with maxemail...One side benefit of the maxemail account, is that the voicemail is included. So if you have to give someone out a number, but would rather not give them your home phone or cell phone, give them this number, and you will get the voicemail in your inbox.
That's very, very interesting. maxemail hadn't turned up in my searches, but I'm already looking at their web site. I agree with you about anonymous voice mail being useful. It's not REALLY anonymous since a determined enough person can find out who owns that account/mailbox/fax number. But if they're that determined then you probably have other problems :roll:
FinanceGeek

Post by FinanceGeek »

We also have declined long distance service on our land line. We use an HP all-in-one printer/scanner/fax and a Sams Club AT&T calling card. Works great!
Topic Author
tdhg566

Re: Free faxing

Post by tdhg566 »

kpanghmc wrote:I haven't checked out the options endorsed in this article, but for the price of free there's really nothing to lose:

http://freebies.about.com/od/freeservic ... faxsar.htm
I studied the features of these free services and was almost convinced they were the way to go. But the FSA claim forms I submit can not have a cover page. Even the outbound premium ($1.99/fax) service attaches a cover page (without logo or ad). But otherwise these free services look great for casual users.

This did point out that I need to understand the cover page policy of the other services.

Thanks!
Nitsuj

Post by Nitsuj »

What are you faxing? And how often are you faxing? I can think of very few reasons to fax, so I am curious.
G12

Post by G12 »

The long distance calling card is a good idea, but I should have clarified that I don't want to buy ANY additional equipment and certainly not fax specific equipment. We already have a high quality scanner (photography is one of our hobbies). All I need is the fax service
You probably know this already, but you can scan your document to a file on your computer and then e mail the file to the recipient, unless the recipient is limited to receiving via fax machine only. I do this frequently. I don't have a Mac, though.
wmp

Post by wmp »

Take a look at k7 for free incoming faxes. For outgoing we use Fax1.com, only $0.12/page but $10 minimum prepayment.
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

I have used Trustfax for over 2 years now. I also liked their pricing structure best. Their service has been fantastic, very reliable and good tracking. I use their website to send faxes, and receive faxes by email. They also have the option of sending faxes by email. As an early customer, I am locked into a lower rate :).
Topic Author
tdhg566

Post by tdhg566 »

G12 wrote:You probably know this already, but you can scan your document to a file on your computer and then e mail the file to the recipient, unless the recipient is limited to receiving via fax machine only. I do this frequently. I don't have a Mac, though.
Thank you. Yes, my requirements do include sending faxes to businesses that require a fax with their bar-coded form as the cover page. Can not substitute an email with attachment. This is for submitting Flexible Spending Account receipts. There's an automated process on the other end that reads the fax and processes it with minimum human intervention.
Topic Author
tdhg566

Post by tdhg566 »

Nitsuj wrote:What are you faxing? And how often are you faxing? I can think of very few reasons to fax, so I am curious.
Primarily Flexible Spending Account receipts at this time. One or two sets of pages per month. This requirement will continue for at least another year. See previous post. Also, when dealing with medical providers many of them can only fax detailed documentation to a customer. They won't email it.
Topic Author
tdhg566

Post by tdhg566 »

oneleaf wrote:I have used Trustfax for over 2 years now. I also liked their pricing structure best. Their service has been fantastic, very reliable and good tracking. I use their website to send faxes, and receive faxes by email. They also have the option of sending faxes by email. As an early customer, I am locked into a lower rate :).
Outstanding. Thank you VERY much for weighing in. I carefully compared three plans on my short list and have all but decided to go with TrustFax. I'll probably do their toll-free plan for $40/yr more to better accommodate future plans we have for a small business which may be located in another city or state. maxemail is a close second though. Other better known names, e.g. myfax, efax, all seemed to have $10/mo minimum prices. I'm going to think about it another day or two to make sure I haven't missed any requirements.

Well, this has generated quite a discussion! Thanks to everyone for their help. I got much further with this group than I did spending an hour on Google :roll:
Last edited by tdhg566 on Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

If you are interested in testing it, send me a PM.

For instance, you can fax me something and i'll email you the PDF that it generates. And I can fax you something and you can see how it looks on your machine (to get an idea of what your customers might see from their end).
nickee

101FAX

Post by nickee »

i can't believe people actually pay out as much as $10 a month for online faxing!! when i pay just half the price for it! at $4 i'm getting my money's worth at 101fax. that price comes with a lot of features you're most likely (or MORE!) to find from other providers. then if you're really tight on the budget, they have a payperuse faxing service.

this one's fax machine to email vis-a-vis too!
sport

Post by sport »

If you want inexpensive long distance service, Pioneer Telephone offers long distance at 2.7 cents per minute 24/7, with no monthly minimums. If you let them bill your credit card, there are no billing charges either. It would allow you to send long distance faxes for mere pennies, and then only when you use it. To use the service, once it is installed, you just dial "1" and then the number, just as though you had long distance service through your phone company. I have been using this for a few years now, and it works great. If this works for you, you can sign up on line.

Best wishes,

Jeff
Topic Author
tdhg566

Re: 101FAX

Post by tdhg566 »

nickee wrote:i can't believe people actually pay out as much as $10 a month for online faxing!! when i pay just half the price for it! at $4 i'm getting my money's worth at 101fax.
As you just joined yesterday and this is your first post, it's very likely you're a troll :evil: . But I'm in a charitable mood so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. :lol:

I looked at 101fax and it has no compelling features or pricing over many other choices. I selected trustfax.com.

Thank you for your comments.
curly lambeau

Re: Best/most economical fax solution?

Post by curly lambeau »

tdhg566 wrote:Direct faxing with a machine/phone line isn't an option due to the "local only" phone line configuration of our ATT UVerse account. We use our cell phones for all long distance
I have a local only line and still make long distance faxes. You just purchase minutes from an internet based calling card company, like onesuite.com.

They have caller ID so you don't have to use a pin. When you send a fax you just prefix it with their access number.

EDIT: I now see you don't want to buy a fax machine, and don't want to use your computer, so this won't work for you. It would work for others.
Last edited by curly lambeau on Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nitsuj

Post by Nitsuj »

jsl11 wrote:If you want inexpensive long distance service, Pioneer Telephone offers long distance at 2.7 cents per minute 24/7, with no monthly minimums. If you let them bill your credit card, there are no billing charges either. It would allow you to send long distance faxes for mere pennies, and then only when you use it. To use the service, once it is installed, you just dial "1" and then the number, just as though you had long distance service through your phone company.
I'd assume to use the service to make faxes you also need a fax machine.
curly lambeau

Post by curly lambeau »

Your computer(+modem) is a sufficient fax machine for most purposes with a service like that.
Nitsuj

Post by Nitsuj »

curly lambeau wrote:Your computer(+modem) is a sufficient fax machine for most purposes with a service like that.
Fewer and fewer computers have modems in them anymore. I sure don't have a modem.
curly lambeau

Post by curly lambeau »

That is false. Laptops outsell desktops in ever greater numbers, and almost all have a modem.
Topic Author
tdhg566

Re: Best/most economical fax solution?

Post by tdhg566 »

curly lambeau wrote:I now see you don't want to buy a fax machine, and don't want to use your computer, so this won't work for you. It would work for others.
Yes, by using a (virtual) web service, rather than (physical) equipment, I don't have limits on where I can send or receive faxes (as long as I already have the PDF file or have access to a scanner to make same). For example, I've already given my fax number to my elderly mother in another state who has occasion to receive a fax or two. I can receive it during the day and forward it to her, without requiring me to be home to retrieve printed copies which then have to be re-scanned before being sent as an email attachment.

Besides, the ONLY reason I still have a home phone number, rather than converting 100% to cell phones, is because ATT UVerse requires it. That could change at any time. Flexibility is the word of the day. Physical equipment doesn't give me that.

In a similar way I no longer use Outlook for personal email (even though I'm an IT professional and use Outlook religiously at work). I'm no longer constrained by my home network or computing environment. It's eliminated so much hassle and non-value added work for me. I really don't get any satisfaction from recovering from yet another server or client crash, or troubleshooting home network problems. To the extent I can find economically priced web services for each of my needs it's my strategy to use them. Someday all these services will be economically available on my handheld device and I'll be even less encumbered :P
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

tdhg566 wrote:Outstanding. Thank you VERY much for weighing in. I carefully compared three plans on my short list and have all but decided to go with TrustFax. I'll probably do their toll-free plan for $10/y more to better accommodate future plans we have for a small business which may be located in another city or state. maxemail is a close second though. Other better known names, e.g. myfax, efax, all seemed to have $10/m minimum prices. I'm going to think about it another day or two to make sure I haven't missed any requirements.

Well, this has generated quite a discussion! Thanks to everyone for their help. I got much further with this group than I did spending an hour on Google :roll:
Interesting thread. However, I couldn't seem to find the $10/y price on TrustFax.com. Am I missing something?
My signature has been deleted.
Topic Author
tdhg566

Post by tdhg566 »

indexfundfan wrote:Interesting thread. However, I couldn't seem to find the $10/y price on TrustFax.com. Am I missing something?
My bad. :oops: That was $40/yr or $3.33/mo. Easily upgraded to either of the next plans. I signed up last weekend. It fits my needs very well.