Personal Finance Software for Mac?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
jon-nyc

Personal Finance Software for Mac?

Post by jon-nyc » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:53 pm

I'm soliciting opinions on a personal finance package for Mac. I've heard Quicken for Mac is really poor.

I'm considering changing from my bespoke spreadsheet method to something more robust, at least for expense tracking.

sscritic

Re: Personal Finance Software for Mac?

Post by sscritic » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:00 pm

The version of Quicken for Mac that I have tracks expenses. If you want to do fancy stuff with investments, I have never tried, so I can't say.

CyberBob

Post by CyberBob » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:02 pm

Check out iBank and Moneywell.

Bob

Edit: You Need a Budget is popular too, if your focus is on tracking spending.
Last edited by CyberBob on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hansp

Post by hansp » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:02 pm

I converted from Quicken to Moneydance for Mac about 6-7 years ago. Works well. Nothing super fancy on the investment end, but does a good job for all the basics.

JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:09 pm

I run Quicken 2013 for PC on Win 7 Virtual Machine (Parallels) on Mac. I wish Quicken Mac had feature and download parity with the Windows version. I have tried the various alternatives and not liked them.

evelyn

Post by evelyn » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:24 pm

I was skeptical of Quicken Essentials for Mac, but I tried other software and was not impressed. Plus I really like Quicken and didn't want to switch. Amazingly, I was able to easily and successfully transfer years of Quicken files on PC to my Macbook Pro. If you've never used Quicken before, then you won't have any problems getting up to speed. For a PC Quicken user, it takes a bit of adjustment. It's a no-frills package, but I find it very user-friendly, and I download all my banking and credit card info easily, which is an important feature for me.

I found these excellent online Quicken Essentials for Mac tutorials, which answered all my questions and also showed me lots of shortcuts:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrJrs8084/videos

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:42 pm

evelyn wrote:I was skeptical of Quicken Essentials for Mac, but I tried other software and was not impressed. Plus I really like Quicken and didn't want to switch.
I use Quicken 2007 for Lion, a different product. It is a bit of a secret product. When it first came out, it was easy to get. Now I think you have to buy Quicken 2007 then contact them directly about upgrading to Quicken 2007 for Lion.
I want to upgrade to Lion Compatible Quicken Mac 2007. Where can I find this version?

If you are a registered Quicken for Mac 2007 customer, please contact us to purchase Lion Compatible Quicken Mac 2007.
http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/ ... 84802.html

I don't know that this page is still valid. It conflicts with the "contact us" above. I already owned Quicken 2006 for Mac and paid $15 for the upgrade when it came out.
http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-fina ... x-lion.jsp

Note: 2007 needed rosetta as it was not a universal app, and won't run on Lion.

bawr

Post by bawr » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:23 pm

GnuCash runs on Mac OS X and is free.

Jake46

Post by Jake46 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:19 pm

I switched from Quicken for Mac to iBank two years ago. Easily converted my Quicken files. Does everything I need.

BH13

Post by BH13 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:42 pm

I'm also very happily using Quicken 2007 for Lion. It works great on Mountain Lion 10.8.2 as well.

I've been a very long (over 15 years) term user of Quicken for Mac and while not as feature complete as the Windows version, it still downloads my Fidelity, Schwab brokerage transactions as well as for my Amex credit cards. For the FIA Fidelity Amex & Cap One Venture cards, I have to go to their websites and do a web download.

fcox85

Post by fcox85 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:54 am

CyberBob wrote: You Need a Budget is popular too, if your focus is on tracking spending.
+1 on YNAB (You Need a Budget). If your aim with this software is incredible budget awareness and tracking, there is no better program out there, in my opinion. Disclaimer: it is NOT an investment tracking program, and does not pretend to be. It's strictly geared toward budgeting/tracking.

ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:22 pm

fcox85 wrote:
CyberBob wrote: You Need a Budget is popular too, if your focus is on tracking spending.
+1 on YNAB (You Need a Budget). If your aim with this software is incredible budget awareness and tracking, there is no better program out there, in my opinion. Disclaimer: it is NOT an investment tracking program, and does not pretend to be. It's strictly geared toward budgeting/tracking.
+2

I tried Quicken for Mac and was very disappointed (after using the PC version for years). Being retired, it's important to me to make very wise spending decisions and YNAB gives me a great handle on our spending. For investing, I use a simple Numbers (Excel) sheet and VAnguard's statements. I don't do a lot of trading so don't need anything sophisticated for investing.