For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time...

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
DidItMyWay
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:19 pm

For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time...

Post by DidItMyWay » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:35 am

...how many miles and years have you gotten out of it?

I ran my first car to 190,000 and 13 years. It was still running well when I sold it, but I got rid of it because I went from a sporty car to more of a "family" car.

My current car is at 145,000 and 13 years old. Am going to try to run it to at least 200,000 miles and about 4 more years, because it is still running well (knock on wood.) Am wondering if I am being realistic.

User avatar
southerndoc
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by southerndoc » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:37 am

I have a 2009 that has 90,000 miles on it. I usually keep cars until they have 150,000 miles on them.

As you can see, I drive a lot.

atfish
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 6:41 am

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by atfish » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:45 am

2003 Dodge PU with 164,000 miles & 2009 Toyota Rave 4 with 98,000 miles. Tend to buy new vehicles and drive them till wore out.

camiboxer
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:52 am

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by camiboxer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:46 am

My hubby is a mechanic and we tend to keep cars seemingly forever. I just retired a 95 Olds Cutlass with a little over 300,000 miles on it. It was starting to nickle and dime us to death and that is with free labor! My hubby is a vehicle hoarder. At last count we had 12. Some haven't seen pavement in 10 years or more while others only get driven on nice sunny days. We tend to "buy and hold". :D
Even the Cutlass won't get sold. He will hold on to it and fix its issues when he gets around to it.
Minus two of my vehicles we don't have anything with less than 125,000 miles on them.

User avatar
NAVigator
Posts: 2457
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:24 am
Location: Iowa

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by NAVigator » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:21 am

1999 Saturn SC2 with 63k miles.
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."

reggiesimpson
Posts: 1608
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by reggiesimpson » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:26 am

1997 Lincoln Town car. 201,000 miles and 18 mpg around town. Still reasonable to maintain so i will keep it until its not. A plus.........because of its size few people try to cut me off.

scrabbler1
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:39 pm

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by scrabbler1 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:33 am

The car I owned prior to my current one was a 1991 Geo Prism. I bought it used in 1992 with 10k miles and put another 51k miles on it in the next 15 years. I don't drive much and always took the train to work.

ddunca1944
Posts: 926
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:49 pm

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by ddunca1944 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:41 am

I drive a 2000 Toyota RAV4 that has 170,000 miles on it. Purchased in 2003 when it had 55,000 miles. Will probably replace it this year or next. I put about 15,000 miles on it annually. It has not required any major repairs.

I think keeping a car until it has 200,000 miles is feasible if you start with a well made vehicle and take care of it.

sscritic
Posts: 21858
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:36 am

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by sscritic » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:44 am

1998 and 185,000.

P.S. In another thread yesterday, I saw someone refer to his 1998 as a 14 year old car. I age cars the way that they age thoroughbreds; my 1998 is 15 years old in 2013, no matter what month I bought it nor what month it is today.

porcupine
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:05 am

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by porcupine » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:48 am

sscritic wrote:1998 and 185,000.

P.S. In another thread yesterday, I saw someone refer to his 1998 as a 14 year old car. I age cars the way that they age thoroughbreds; my 1998 is 15 years old in 2013, no matter what month I bought it nor what month it is today.
I don't really know how thoroughbreds are aged; but a 1998 car is typically manufactured (and sold) in 1997, so it should really be a 16-year old car, shouldn't it?

- Porcupine

john94549
Posts: 4638
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by john94549 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:51 am

1994 Buick Regal. 76K miles. Inherited when my wife's Mom died in 2004. I don't drive a lot. Neither did my wife's Mom.

sscritic
Posts: 21858
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:36 am

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by sscritic » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:54 am

porcupine wrote: I don't really know how thoroughbreds are aged;
"If you knew google, like I know google"

Credit to Buddy DeSylva and Joseph Meyer; and Eddie Cantor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0zKqiClt1k

22twain
Posts: 1445
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 5:42 pm

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by 22twain » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:58 am

My first new car was a 1990 Geo (now Chevy) Prizm. After about ten years and 170K miles, oil smoke started to show up in the exhaust, and my wife and I decided to replace it rather than do an engine overhaul. We ended up with a 2000 Prizm which is still going strong (knock wood) after 175K miles.

We use my wife's car for most local trips (up to 15 miles or so), so most of the mileage on my cars has been for out of town trips (50+ miles) including vacations. Starting from the Southeast, the current Prizm has made several trips apiece to Florida, New England, the Midwest, and Arizona, with another trip to Arizona coming up this summer. We just change the oil regularly and get a thorough checkup before each long trip.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

Mudpuppy
Posts: 5889
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:26 am
Location: Sunny California

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:04 am

sscritic wrote:1998 and 185,000.

P.S. In another thread yesterday, I saw someone refer to his 1998 as a 14 year old car. I age cars the way that they age thoroughbreds; my 1998 is 15 years old in 2013, no matter what month I bought it nor what month it is today.
1999 and 85k. It's getting a few age related issues now, but still cheaper to repair than get another car.

And my car has a sticker saying exactly when it left the factory, so I don't have to age it like a thoroughbred. For those wondering how thoroughbreds are aged, they all increment the age by a year on January 1st regardless of when they were actually born. A foal born in May 2011 and a colt born in Feb 2011 would both be called "2 year olds" right now.

mlipps
Posts: 890
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:35 am

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by mlipps » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:07 am

22twain wrote:My first new car was a 1990 Geo (now Chevy) Prizm. After about ten years and 170K miles, oil smoke started to show up in the exhaust, and my wife and I decided to replace it rather than do an engine overhaul. We ended up with a 2000 Prizm which is still going strong (knock wood) after 175K miles.

We use my wife's car for most local trips (up to 15 miles or so), so most of the mileage on my cars has been for out of town trips (50+ miles) including vacations. Starting from the Southeast, the current Prizm has made several trips apiece to Florida, New England, the Midwest, and Arizona, with another trip to Arizona coming up this summer. We just change the oil regularly and get a thorough checkup before each long trip.
Those Prizms are good cars. My parents bought a 1991 in 1997. My mom told me then it would be my car when I turned 16. Sure enough, in 2005 we replaced it with a new Corolla for my mom and I took the keys. It got me through college and now has 194,000 miles. It still runs but needs an expensive repair (around $500), so my parents are finally getting rid of it.
By the way, after 20 years of trucks, my dad also caved and got a 2010 Corolla during Cash for Clunkers. Last month, my fiance and I traded in our SUV for...you guessed it, a Corolla. OK, technically it's a Matrix, but they're the same car mechanically. My parents are proud. :) Both my parents hope these will be the last vehicles they ever buy.

User avatar
Epsilon Delta
Posts: 7430
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by Epsilon Delta » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:22 am

sscritic wrote: P.S. In another thread yesterday, I saw someone refer to his 1998 as a 14 year old car. I age cars the way that they age thoroughbreds; my 1998 is 15 years old in 2013, no matter what month I bought it nor what month it is today.
The thoroughbred age rules lead to almost all the horses being born in the same, unnatural, month. IIRC, in the 1980s, UK license plates indicated the year of initial sale. This lead to big blip in car sales in the first month of the registration year as the vain wanted their cars to seem as new as possible. Much of the auto industry disliked this and would have preferred sales to be spread evenly over the year. So be careful how you measure, it may have consequences.

User avatar
Tim_in_GA
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:42 am

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by Tim_in_GA » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:22 am

I just traded in our 1996 Ford Taurus on a new car. It had only 140K miles but was in need of some expensive repairs, and we just didn't trust it.

I also have a 1999 Dodge Ram pickup with 172K miles and it is still going strong. I'll keep it for a few more years at least.

Fallible
Posts: 6414
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by Fallible » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:26 am

22twain wrote:My first new car was a 1990 Geo (now Chevy) Prizm. After about ten years and 170K miles, oil smoke started to show up in the exhaust, and my wife and I decided to replace it rather than do an engine overhaul. We ended up with a 2000 Prizm which is still going strong (knock wood) after 175K miles. ...
I agree with those here who praise the Prizm. In 1994, I bought a '91 Prizm that had come off a lease and had around 45,000 miles on it. I added about 100,000 more over 10 trouble-free years and decided to trade it in on another used car with more safety features. Before buying the Prizm, I learned that a reason it was so highly rated was because the drivetrain (and possibly more) was made by Toyota.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

jes58
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:14 am

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by jes58 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:29 am

1996 Corrolla, 197,000. Everyone's telling me to get a new car. I'm tuning out the noise. Once I get to 200 K, I'll do the same.

sscritic
Posts: 21858
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:36 am

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by sscritic » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:36 am

Epsilon Delta wrote: in the 1980s, UK license plates indicated the year of initial sale. This lead to big blip in car sales in the first month of the registration year as the vain wanted their cars to seem as new as possible. Much of the auto industry disliked this and would have preferred sales to be spread evenly over the year. So be careful how you measure, it may have consequences.
Wow, I never knew that how I count the age of my own car could affect the auto industry in the UK. My sphere of influence is even greater than I imagined! :)

User avatar
matjen
Posts: 1911
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:30 pm

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by matjen » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:41 am

1998 Lexus GS400 with 198,500 miles. Most of those are city miles. Want to make it to 200K and then will start looking.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

User avatar
jeff1949
Posts: 653
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Salem, OR

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by jeff1949 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:48 am

1998 Acura RL has over 200,000 miles (now has broken odometer that would cost $500 to fix so it is still broken :( ).

Had a 1984 Honda Accord before that which had around 250,000 miles on it when sold in 1995. About the same for a 1992 Accord finally sold in 2002.

If you can't get over 200,000 miles out of a car these days you are not really trying (or you are buying the wrong brand)! :D
Last edited by jeff1949 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

325e
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:48 am

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by 325e » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:52 am

1986 car, got it a year ago, up to 185k.

Newer cars last a long time. If you have a japanese or an american car that is reliable, and you do preventative maintenance, you can get the 250k miles. Actually, I think cars like a lexus at 100k miles are under-valued because that is what people used to think were a lot of miles.

They can always be fixed. Even if the engine goes, you can get a junk yard engine with fewer miles. But people eventually part ways when rust becomes an issue or it gets more expensive to fix than to buy another.

upperleftcoast
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:14 am

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by upperleftcoast » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:52 am

1987 VW Vanagon. 25 years old. 240K miles. I've owend it for almost 12 years. Yep, takes a lot of money to keep the thing running well and safe to drive.

whomever
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:21 pm

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by whomever » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:00 pm

My scheme is to buy new, never abuse, always do scheduled maintenance (esp, never let the oil run low and keep the cooling system working well).

I've worn out (i.e. needed to replace major drivetrain components - heads, tranny, etc) US made cars in as little as 170K miles.

OTOH, we had a Honda Civic that we replaced at 275K only because we wanted AC. The only major[1] maint it had required was a clutch at 250K or so. I have relatives who have run Toyota pickups well into the 300's w/o problems.

[1]by major maint, I mean having to pull the engine or transmission. All cars need new struts, CV shafts, water pumps, alternators, etc from time to time, as well as routine maintenance like timing belt changes, brakes, and so on.

MathWizard
Posts: 2917
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by MathWizard » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:00 pm

I used to ditch cars at 100K to 110K. Now I go until something major breaks and the car
is over 100K, (transmission or engine) or I feel the car is getting to be unreliable.

Lately, with newer cars, I've been getting over 150K. They are now garaged (in snowbelt country)
so that may be helping also.

User avatar
matjen
Posts: 1911
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:30 pm

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by matjen » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:03 pm

325e wrote: Newer cars last a long time. If you have a japanese or an american car that is reliable, and you do preventative maintenance, you can get the 250k miles. Actually, I think cars like a lexus at 100k miles are under-valued because that is what people used to think were a lot of miles.
That was exactly my strategy and it worked out great. Bought my 1998 Lexus GS400 used in 2000. Some high-level salesman had it way out in the suburbs and put 70k highway miles on it in 3 years. Car was state-of-the-art at the time. Built in touchscreen NAV, HID Headlights, side air bags, steering wheel shifters, and 300 HP and 310 ft lbs torque. The car has lasted me 12+ solid years and only recently have I felt that it is falling a bit behind. I think we are at an inflection point with car technology where the larger touchscreens and technologies are really going to make a difference. Things like back up and side cameras, lane changing, hybrids/mileage efficiency, dual clutches, active (and reliable) suspensions, etc. This stuff is working its way down to $30K and less cars.
Last edited by matjen on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

User avatar
JupiterJones
Posts: 2673
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:25 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by JupiterJones » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:15 pm

I keep 'em until the doors fall off.

Literally.

JJ
Stay on target...

sscritic
Posts: 21858
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:36 am

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by sscritic » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:15 pm

jeff1949 wrote: Had a 1994 Honda Accord before that which had around 250,000 miles on it when sold in 1995.
I guess 685 miles a day, 365 days a year is possible. Did you buy before February 29, 1994? That gave you one extra day, so make that 366 days.

User avatar
rustymutt
Posts: 3728
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by rustymutt » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:23 pm

I've got a 94 GMC Suburban, with 108K miles on it, and I'll still be driving it next year. Bought it new in 94.
Also a 99 Toyota Avalon with 92K on it, and it's still in use.
The newest car in our family is a 07 Mecury, with 54K on it.

All still strong, and well kept up. Liability only savings, for insurance. Lower property taxes.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

User avatar
rustymutt
Posts: 3728
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by rustymutt » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:24 pm

I've got a 94 GMC Suburban, with 108K miles on it, and I'll still be driving it next year. Bought it new in 94.
Also a 99 Toyota Avalon with 92K on it, and it's still in use.
The newest car in our family is a 07 Mecury, with 54K on it.

All still strong, and well kept up. Liability only savings, for insurance. Lower property taxes. Higher maintenance cost is the one draw back, but not annoying in anyway.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

sscritic
Posts: 21858
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:36 am

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by sscritic » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:38 pm

Buy six or seven cars and share the load. 30,000 miles a year can be only 5,000 or less on each car if you share and share alike. That's how you can have a 10 year old car with only 50,000 miles on it.

keystone
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:34 pm

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by keystone » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:41 pm

1999 Honda Civic VP, 119K miles, ~14 years old.

I will keep it until I no longer trust it for reliable transportation.

I also don't worry about maintenance bills that some may call expensive. Even if I have to spend 1K on maintenance/repairs, I figure it doesn't take long to recoup that compared to the cost of owning a new car.

Valuethinker
Posts: 35332
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:45 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:
sscritic wrote: P.S. In another thread yesterday, I saw someone refer to his 1998 as a 14 year old car. I age cars the way that they age thoroughbreds; my 1998 is 15 years old in 2013, no matter what month I bought it nor what month it is today.
The thoroughbred age rules lead to almost all the horses being born in the same, unnatural, month. IIRC, in the 1980s, UK license plates indicated the year of initial sale. This lead to big blip in car sales in the first month of the registration year as the vain wanted their cars to seem as new as possible. Much of the auto industry disliked this and would have preferred sales to be spread evenly over the year. So be careful how you measure, it may have consequences.
I'd have to check the date but I believe this continued into the 2000s.

There still is that 'September blip' (and conversely a car price discount in the summer months on the old models).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_re ... ent_system

that's right-- twice a year.
A two-digit age identifier, which changes twice a year, in March and September. The code is either the last two digits of the year itself if issued between March and August (e.g. "10" for registrations issued between 1 March and 31 August 2010), or else has 50 added to that value if issued between September and February the following year (e.g. "60" for registrations issued between 1 September 2010 and 28 February 2011);
From 2001.

I learned only in the last few years that the 'new car smell' is actually solvents -- I doubt many people realize that ;-).
Last edited by Valuethinker on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jeff1949
Posts: 653
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Salem, OR

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by jeff1949 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:47 pm

sscritic wrote:
jeff1949 wrote: Had a 1994 Honda Accord before that which had around 250,000 miles on it when sold in 1995.
I guess 685 miles a day, 365 days a year is possible. Did you buy before February 29, 1994? That gave you one extra day, so make that 366 days.
Make that a 1984 Honda. :oops:

sscritic
Posts: 21858
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:36 am

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by sscritic » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:50 pm

jeff1949 wrote:
sscritic wrote:
jeff1949 wrote: Had a 1994 Honda Accord before that which had around 250,000 miles on it when sold in 1995.
I guess 685 miles a day, 365 days a year is possible. Did you buy before February 29, 1994? That gave you one extra day, so make that 366 days.
Make that a 1984 Honda. :oops:
At least you know one person read your post. :)

Valuethinker
Posts: 35332
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:53 pm

sscritic wrote:
Epsilon Delta wrote: in the 1980s, UK license plates indicated the year of initial sale. This lead to big blip in car sales in the first month of the registration year as the vain wanted their cars to seem as new as possible. Much of the auto industry disliked this and would have preferred sales to be spread evenly over the year. So be careful how you measure, it may have consequences.
Wow, I never knew that how I count the age of my own car could affect the auto industry in the UK. My sphere of influence is even greater than I imagined! :)
Chaos theory. The wings of a butterfly, beating, change the destination of a hurricane.

As per my other post September is still the big month for car sales in the UK.

We have odd public holidays (2 Bank Holidays in May) but plans to move one to the 4th quarter are always rejected because of the disruption to manufacturing schedules in their busiest 3 months of the year.

Q4 is the big one for any number of industries, not only retailers.

However because the UK government year, and financial year, has ended 5th April since the Middle Ages, most financial companies have year ends 31st March-5th April.

Conversely throughout Europe many companies shut down in August. And in Scandinavia, it's July (there is more sense in that one, as that's when it is sunniest, the longest days, and warmest in Scandi-hoovia).

But if you have a French subsidiary and a Swedish one say, it's a bit of a nightmare, as July-August someone is always completely on holiday.

If you worked in Paris, 'having to work' in August was always the perfect cover for having an affair ;-). Family goes to the seaside or the countryside, and you, you slave away in Paris, or canoodle with your petite amie ;-).

User avatar
jeff1949
Posts: 653
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Salem, OR

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by jeff1949 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:56 pm

sscritic wrote:
jeff1949 wrote:
sscritic wrote:
jeff1949 wrote: Had a 1994 Honda Accord before that which had around 250,000 miles on it when sold in 1995.
I guess 685 miles a day, 365 days a year is possible. Did you buy before February 29, 1994? That gave you one extra day, so make that 366 days.
Make that a 1984 Honda. :oops:
At least you know one person read your post. :)
Good point....always a silver lining there if one looks hard enough. On the other hand it was my wife's car and she does drive a lot more than I do. 8-)

at ease
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:16 am

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by at ease » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:57 pm

..drove a 1984 Honda Accord until 2003....it had 426,000 miles when i traded it in on a 2003 Toyota Corolla....the 03-Corolla now has 316,000 miles...odd thing though, at 299,999 the Corolla no longer increaserd miles...it is forever stuck on 299,999...so i track miles on trip meter for actual miles and oil changes....
Last edited by at ease on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NorCalDad
Posts: 759
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:14 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by NorCalDad » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:58 pm

12 years old, 165,000 miles. Once I made the decision to replace my timing belt a second time, I felt committed to go for 200,000 miles. Insurance is dirt cheap and I still enjoy driving it.

n171n
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by n171n » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:59 pm

2001 BMW 740i with 160,000 miles ... was surprised to see its KBB is worth less than $5k!

sscritic
Posts: 21858
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:36 am

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by sscritic » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Valuethinker wrote: Conversely throughout Europe many companies shut down in August. And in Scandinavia, it's July (there is more sense in that one, as that's when it is sunniest, the longest days, and warmest in Scandi-hoovia).

But if you have a French subsidiary and a Swedish one say, it's a bit of a nightmare, as July-August someone is always completely on holiday.
My niece works for Ericsson, in Dublin, and is often posted in the US when not in the Ukraine or Chile. When does she get a vacation?

Correct answer: not often. :)

P.S. More fun from the EU
This site does not automatically use cookies, following the recent EU directive. This means it is not performing as well as it can. If you would like to enjoy the full functionality of this website, all you have to do is to accept cookies.

stoptothink
Posts: 4301
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by stoptothink » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:03 pm

My beloved '97 Nissan pickup was totalled by a hit & run driver very early in the morning on New Years, the first police report of 2013 in my city. I was sleeping, it was parked on the street in my residential neighborhood, and somebody hit it and took off. My guess is a drunk driver; how they managed to drive away their vehicle seeing mine demolished, I have no idea. Frame was bent and quarter panel destroyed, among other damages. I only had liability so it was a total loss. I purchased it in '03 with about 70k miles, it had 160k (with less than 15k the last 4yrs) and had never needed any serious repairs. Was expecting at least another 5yrs out of it, seeing as I drive very very little. It was only my 2nd car, the first didn't die on my either, my Honda Civic was stolen from my work parking lot. It was 6yrs old and had about 80k on the clock.

Went out that afternoon and purchased a '09 Hyundai accent with 39k miles. Hoping this one eventually dies on me, a little easier to handle than it getting stolen or totalled.

Rick_29T9W
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:15 am

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by Rick_29T9W » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:07 pm

I have a 1992 GMC Sierra pickup truck with 161,000 miles. It still runs reliably and looks good. The body is still in perfect condition and has never been in an accident. Vehicles do not rust here in Arizona. I had it repainted several years ago, and was fortunate to find a body shop in another nearby town which did good quality paint jobs for about half the price that the local body shops wanted.

It just has a 4.3 Liter Vortac V-6 and a 5-speed manual transmission in the full sized truck, but still runs full power and performs surprisingly well on the steepest hills at highway speeds. The 5-speed transmission probably helps.

I plan to have the bench seat re-uphostered sometime soon. I asked the parts department at the dealer about possibly buying a new seat, but he said those are no longer available. I also want to get the radio fixed or replaced. Other than that the truck is in great shape.

I do not drive many miles per year since I live upstairs from where I work. It takes me about 25 years to drive enough miles to wear out a car or truck. I hope to keep driving it for another 5 years or so, if it keeps running reliably. So far it has not yet need repairs very often. Two or three years ago, it needed a new A/C system installed for about $800. About a month ago, a nearby mechanic did a tune-up and fixed a bad oil leak fixed for about $250.

User avatar
Epsilon Delta
Posts: 7430
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by Epsilon Delta » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:12 pm

Valuethinker wrote: Chaos theory. The wings of a butterfly, beating, change the destination of a hurricane.
Exactly. How everybody measures a thing started out as how somebody measured it. US energy policy would be significantly more sane if that somebody had chosen gpm instead of mpg. I'm not sure sscritic has enough influence to accidentally mess up the world, but there's no need to take chances.
Valuethinker wrote: But if you have a French subsidiary and a Swedish one say, it's a bit of a nightmare, as July-August someone is always completely on holiday.
We could never find the Swedes in August either.

User avatar
bengal22
Posts: 1409
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by bengal22 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:13 pm

2005 Chevy Avalanche with 113K. Everything works except that the honker no honks. But that's probably God's way of making me a more considerate driver. However my quest to educate those that do not use turn signals, that drive exactly the speed limit on a freeway in the far left lane, and that cannot stay in their lane, is on hold.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

porcupine
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:05 am

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by porcupine » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:18 pm

sscritic wrote:
porcupine wrote: I don't really know how thoroughbreds are aged;
"If you knew google, like I know google"

Credit to Buddy DeSylva and Joseph Meyer; and Eddie Cantor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0zKqiClt1k
If I cared about how thoroughbreds are aged ... I would google as though I'd never googled before. OK, that does not come across like I want it to :oops:, but I'm sure you get my point.

- Porcupine

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 18849
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:27 pm

96 Honda Civic - 58K miles, I use public transportation for work commute. On weekends, use other newer vehicle for family and hauling stuff. Just had the car repainted last year - Northeast exposure can be harsh on a car kept outside. No rust, knock on wood. How often would you change the oil if you rarely drive the car?

BTW, $1,000 on repairs is not major these days - replace a cat converter, muffler and some wheel bearings could run you close to that. But then, most of those parts are long-lived (another ten years+) at the rate of recent use.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 18849
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:34 pm

stoptothink wrote:My beloved '97 Nissan pickup was totalled by a hit & run driver very early in the morning on New Years, the first police report of 2013 in my city. I was sleeping, it was parked on the street in my residential neighborhood, and somebody hit it and took off. My guess is a drunk driver; how they managed to drive away their vehicle seeing mine demolished, I have no idea. Frame was bent and quarter panel destroyed, among other damages. I only had liability so it was a total loss. I purchased it in '03 with about 70k miles, it had 160k (with less than 15k the last 4yrs) and had never needed any serious repairs. Was expecting at least another 5yrs out of it, seeing as I drive very very little. It was only my 2nd car, the first didn't die on my either, my Honda Civic was stolen from my work parking lot. It was 6yrs old and had about 80k on the clock.

Went out that afternoon and purchased a '09 Hyundai accent with 39k miles. Hoping this one eventually dies on me, a little easier to handle than it getting stolen or totalled.
You may need to find a safer place to live.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

porcupine
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:05 am

Re: For those of you who have kept your cars for a long time

Post by porcupine » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:41 pm

bengal22 wrote:2005 Chevy Avalanche with 113K. Everything works except that the honker no honks. But that's probably God's way of making me a more considerate driver. However my quest to educate those that do not use turn signals, that drive exactly the speed limit on a freeway in the far left lane, and that cannot stay in their lane, is on hold.
You can pick how considerate you want to be! ;-)

- Porcupine

PS: I hope the bumper sticker is as common in your neck of the woods as it is in mine!

Post Reply