Tax Q: Short term relocation to low-cost areas

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
User avatar
Posts: 922
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:32 am

Tax Q: Short term relocation to low-cost areas

Postby dandan14 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:21 am

My wife and I are considering doing something a little unconventional. We're considering selling (or potentially renting out) our house and having several short-term (6 month-ish) living experiences around the country. I won't have any problem working remotely.

Does anyone know how this would work for state income taxes? Would we pay based on how many months we "lived" in a state? Or perhaps could we establish residency in a no-income-tax state like FL and then just "visit" other states.

Has anyone on the board ever done this?

User avatar
Advisory Board
Posts: 20096
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:58 pm
Location: Columbia, MD

Re: Tax Q: Short term relocation to low-cost areas

Postby grabiner » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:24 am

You have to check with each state. Many states will tax you as a resident if you lived in the state for a substantial part of the year (often 183 days) even if you have a permanent home elsewhere. In addition, your former state may still consider you to be domiciled there, and some states will tax you as a resident based on your domicile even if you were almost never there, while others will not.

Regardless of your state of residence, if you earn income in a state, you have to pay taxes on that income (with the exception of some neighboring states such as PA/NJ which don't tax each other's residents on salary).
David Grabiner

Return to “Personal Finance (Not Investing)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beach, Bing [Bot], BogleAlltheWay, bsteiner, #Cruncher, KlangFool, lowndes, LukeHeinz57, MDfive21, moneywise3, Spirit Rider, walkindude and 87 guests