Alternative to TD Student Checking

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Gemini

Alternative to TD Student Checking

Post by Gemini »

I have had this account for a long time and only recently have I begun using it to store my emergency fund. I like the fact that there are plenty of physical locations close to home and I can walk in to deposit or withdraw funds. Recently, I got a letter in the mail stating that this account will now be converted to TD Simple Checking account, which has a monthly fee. I am annoyed and wanted to know what other banks I should consider. One thing that TD lacks is the check deposit via image feature and it would be an additional benefit if my future bank has one.
livesoft

Re: Alternative to TD Student Checking

Post by livesoft »

Maybe TD has a non-student checking account that has no fees?
Many places have no-fee checking with a direct deposit of some kind. Do you work part-time? Can your paycheck be direct deposited?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
Gemini

Post by Gemini »

I work full time and my check is already deposited directly into my USAA account. I use the TD bank to take chunks out of USAA via direct deposit to build my e-fund.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Well, I was going to recommend USAA, but ....

What other banks do you use? Maybe one of them will be better for you?

One can usually have a paycheck split into a few direct-deposit locations if needed. That is, direct-deposit of the same paycheck does not have to go all to only one place.

I use WellsFargo because they are totally fee-free and give me lots of perks, but I understand that they may not work for everyone. I used to use USAA, but they closed my account without telling me.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
master36

Post by master36 »

How about an online bank? They typically offer a higher interest rate, and most reimburse ATM fees.

I currently use HSBC, and I have it scheduled to automatically withdraw money from my checking account each month.
Topic Author
Gemini

Post by Gemini »

I have a couple online banks already. I would prefer somewhere I can just walk into to make deposits or take out large sums if needed.
thebogledude

Post by thebogledude »

Gemini wrote:I have a couple online banks already. I would prefer somewhere I can just walk into to make deposits or take out large sums if needed.
Only you can know what is available within walking distance. Chances are if there's a TD Bank, there's going to be another bank or credit union and you can do some research on their fee structure.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Gemini wrote:I have a couple online banks already. I would prefer somewhere I can just walk into to make deposits or take out large sums if needed.
You might want to consider a local credit union since credit unions don't discourage unprofitable customers like you (small balance, teller usage). Next you'll probably tell us you are already using one, since that seems to be the way this thread is going? :wink:
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

Gemini wrote:I have had this account for a long time and only recently have I begun using it to store my emergency fund. I like the fact that there are plenty of physical locations close to home and I can walk in to deposit or withdraw funds. Recently, I got a letter in the mail stating that this account will now be converted to TD Simple Checking account, which has a monthly fee. I am annoyed and wanted to know what other banks I should consider. One thing that TD lacks is the check deposit via image feature and it would be an additional benefit if my future bank has one.
You can also check the bank's other options, which may depend on where you live. I have a TD Convenience Checking account, which has no fee with a minimum balance of $100. It doesn't pay interest, but I don't keep enough in this account for that to matter even if interest rates go back up. (I keep my interest-bearing cash in other accounts.)
Wiki David Grabiner
Topic Author
Gemini

Post by Gemini »

Thanks for the replies. I called and converted to TD convenience checking. I am using this to park an e-fund and so far have around 20K. Only downside it that it is 0%....