A High Security Personal Check?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Dog_Papa

A High Security Personal Check?

Post by Dog_Papa » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:34 pm

I rec'd an offer for the "New High Security Personal Check". It came in the mail, along with my monthly statement. I was not aware there was such an animal.
I have never had a problem with checks. Well, with personal checks, I had some business checks stolen and then cashed, many years ago. I don't write that
many anymore. I pay a different way for most things.

Are some personal checks more secure than others? I would think it would have more to do with your bank, than the check itself. Am I missing something?

tfb

Re: A High Security Personal Check?

Post by tfb » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:06 am

Dog_Papa wrote:Are some personal checks more secure than others? I would think it would have more to do with your bank, than the check itself. Am I missing something?

Some checks do have more security features: microprint, watermarks, etc. Most of them are for physical inspection and anti-photocopying. Whether you should care about those features is a different question.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

Easy Rhino

Re: A High Security Personal Check?

Post by Easy Rhino » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Checks are kind of inherently a hot mess in my book. You can mark up a cocktail napkin with suffient info, and it turns into a check.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/chk/20010320a.asp

I think "high security" is a contradiction in terms for checks.