Assistance for low-income

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
archbish99

Assistance for low-income

Post by archbish99 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:33 am

Trying to help out a friend who lives in Ohio with very limited income (sub-$20k/year). Her partner is in the process of filing for bankruptcy and may be forced to leave his job soon, and she has a child in his last year of college.

From what I can find, Ohio's Medicaid program doesn't cover people ages 20-64 who aren't disabled, regardless of income. They might qualify for food assistance. Any ideas where else might they look for help making ends meet?
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.

Mrs.Feeley

Re: Assistance for low-income

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:43 am

In most states low-income residents can qualify for a free limited-use cell phone:

https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Safelink/

Not as big a deal as medical insurance but it can help in keeping down the monthly bills.

Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:43 am

What age?
Section 8
Local food bank
local churches
Welfare
Utility assistance programs
Unemployment
Local/church health clinic
local jobs program
Best wishes,
John

archbish99

Post by archbish99 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:58 am

Johm221122 wrote:What age?
Mid-50s.
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.

Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:05 am

archbish99 wrote:
Johm221122 wrote:What age?
Mid-50s.
Sometimes there is housing assistance for people over 55 based on income

mackstann

Post by mackstann » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:25 am

I think food stamps are pretty easy to get and basically you just need a low enough income.
It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:13 am

The Ohio state government website for Family Services: http://jfs.ohio.gov/

Perhaps a local house of worship can assist your friend with seeking resources. Usually, many large organizations have charities associated with them that provide assistance. Just to be clear you do not have to be a member of the congregation to have access.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:16 am

mackstann wrote:I think food stamps are pretty easy to get and basically you just need a low enough income.
It is means-tested, income and assets. From what I have seen, those on SNAP really do have no resources. FYI - they no longer issue stamps or coupons, everything is in the form of an electronic benefit card - a good thing in my mind, less stigma for everyone.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

mlipps

Post by mlipps » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:24 am

archbish99 wrote:Trying to help out a friend who lives in Ohio with very limited income (sub-$20k/year). Her partner is in the process of filing for bankruptcy and may be forced to leave his job soon, and she has a child in his last year of college.

From what I can find, Ohio's Medicaid program doesn't cover people ages 20-64 who aren't disabled, regardless of income. They might qualify for food assistance. Any ideas where else might they look for help making ends meet?
Note that food stamps income eligibility for family of 1 is $14079. Your friend, amazingly, will probably not qualify.

Medicaid in most states only covers custodial parents.

As others have said, if she does qualify "food stamps", now known as SNAP, are typically easy to apply for and get started on. I don't know all the details of Ohio (I grew up there, but did lots of volunteering in Chicago going to school in this field) but in some places, you can even get emergency food stamps if you have less than 5 days resources in hand. Otherwise, it will probably take a month or two. You said partner; is this a spouse? One thing that is always confusing is how to apply when considering two unmarried people who live in the same home as they will likely ask for "household" income. This may be worth going in to talk to a case worker about. And, as others have said, eligibility is not just based on income, it is also assets. I think you have to have less than $1000 in checking/savings/etc. Not sure how 401k/IRA would count.

She could also, as others have suggested, look into energy assistance programs; sometimes these are through the utility and sometimes through the state.

Safelink wireless is a good one and also Reach Out wireless is the same idea. However, you have to be on some kind of public benefit to qualify: WIC, Food Stamps, SSDI, Medicaid, etc.

For the partner who is leaving the job, depending on the reasons, look into Workforce Investment Act retraining funding.

There is subsidized housing for seniors, which, as Johm221122 noted, sometimes starts at 55 and sometimes at 62.The waiting lists for senior housing, at least in Illinois, are shorter than those for family subsidized housing, but still long. 1-2 years instead of 3-6.

Feel free to PM me to pick my brain further, there's a lot of knowledge in there doing no one any good right now.

mhc

Post by mhc » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:47 am

Where I live, many of the programs for low income people are administered by the county. Contact the county. They know all of the programs available.

As mentioned, many churches offer clothing, food, and sometimes medical.

I use to volunteer at Catholic Charities. They had counselers who new every resource available.