Page 1 of 1

Medigap Plan F

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:57 pm
by nonnie
We've had Medigap Plan F for nearly five years. We're currently have a two-personjoint plan with Blue Shield. When we recently moved to another county our rates went up more than $35 per month. Our agent has now recommended AARP as they have the lowest rates among the six or seven companies she represents. We need to join AARP for $16/yr. We've never had a problem with our secondary paying as long as Medicare pays and I'm assuming AARP would be the same. I'm told AARP Medigap is one of the largest plans in the US-- any problems or caveats if we switch?

Nonnie

Re: Medigap Plan F

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:50 pm
by wwross
The United Health Group that runs the AARP Medigap plans seems to do a pretty good job, from what I hear.

Re: Medigap Plan F

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:08 pm
by kaneohe
Not exactly the question you are asking. Just joined AARP plan F this yr but haven't used it yet. However for many yrs before that, had a corporate funded supplement plan administered by UHC who has the AARP plans. Never had a problem.

Re: Medigap Plan F

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:52 pm
by nonnie
Thanks for the responses so far. The strangest thing just happened--I mean a really strange coincidence. I just received a phone call from American Seniors Assistance--apparently a well-known scammer-- offering to help me with free Medicare benefits!!

Re: Medigap Plan F

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:13 pm
by S&L1940
the wife has a policy from Mutual of Omaha that started out cheaper than mine and now costs more per month. Service has never been an issue with no denials of payment

I have had AARP's Medigap for 8 years and United Health has been just fine.

I started coverage in CT and then moved to Florida, the rate immediately jumped about $50 because we are in Medicare Central. :annoyed
good luck, Rich

Re: Medigap Plan F

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:20 pm
by SnapShots
My mother had AARP Medigap and we had no problems. She was in and out of the hospital and skilled nursing the last year and a half of her life. Died 2 y ears ago. My husband is one it. I'll use AARP when I get on Medicare. 5 stars out of 5. :beer

Re: Medigap Plan F

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:04 pm
by Michele120
All Medigap plans are identical. Your Plan F with ABC company will be the same Plan F with XYZ company. The difference is premiums are for the brand name of the insurance company. They only pay what Medicare does not when Medicare pays something. The only exception is when you are out of the country and need Medical attention for something that Medicare would pay if you were in the U.S. Your Plan F has that coverage up to $50,000. What you want to make certain of is that any company you elect will have enough money to pay your claims. The AARP is a fine product but it is not the only one. If you have political reasons to not join AARP, there are other options that do not require you to join anything with a political action committee.

Re: Medigap Plan F

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:15 pm
by Michele120
nonnie wrote:Thanks for the responses so far. The strangest thing just happened--I mean a really strange coincidence. I just received a phone call from American Seniors Assistance--apparently a well-known scammer-- offering to help me with free Medicare benefits!!
Be very careful of any person or organization that contacts you with either a phone call or email. I am in the middle of certification studies for Medicare products. The government agency that regulates what insurance agents can do is called, "The Centers For Medicare and Medicaid Services" aka CMS. It is illegal for any insurance agent to initiate contact with any Medicare beneficiary for Advantage or Medicare D plans. They frown on insurance agents making unsolicited contact for Medigap. My recommendation is that you call your state's Department of Insurance to verify if they are legitimate. Under normal circumstances, and insurance agent is only allowed to contact you if you initiate the conversation with by either calling his office or returning a Reply Card through the mail. Unsolicited phone calls are unethical at best and quite possibly illegal. If you elect to communicate with them, be very careful.

Re: Medigap Plan F

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:19 pm
by Michele120
1530jesup wrote:the wife has a policy from Mutual of Omaha that started out cheaper than mine and now costs more per month. Service has never been an issue with no denials of payment

I have had AARP's Medigap for 8 years and United Health has been just fine.

I started coverage in CT and then moved to Florida, the rate immediately jumped about $50 because we are in Medicare Central. :annoyed
good luck, Rich
Both United of Omaha and UHC are fine insurance companies. I am appointed with both. I would, however, offer you one tip. One of those companies offers an additional discount when both spouses are insured with the same insurance company. Since the coverage is identical and they are both solid insurance companies, if premium is a concern, I recommend that you look at adjusting your portfolio if it will save you money.

Re: Medigap Plan F

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:34 pm
by S&L1940
Michele120 wrote:
1530jesup wrote:the wife has a policy from Mutual of Omaha that started out cheaper than mine and now costs more per month. Service has never been an issue with no denials of payment

I have had AARP's Medigap for 8 years and United Health has been just fine.

I started coverage in CT and then moved to Florida, the rate immediately jumped about $50 because we are in Medicare Central. :annoyed
good luck, Rich
Both United of Omaha and UHC are fine insurance companies. I am appointed with both. I would, however, offer you one tip. One of those companies offers an additional discount when both spouses are insured with the same insurance company. Since the coverage is identical and they are both solid insurance companies, if premium is a concern, I recommend that you look at adjusting your portfolio if it will save you money.
we have checked out costs for the wife to change plans. to my understanding, she would come in at the rate quoted for her current age which would be even higher than what she is now paying. again from what we have been told, we are in effect locked in with our original choices.

if the above is mistaken please let me know because neither company suggested that a reduced rate was available. Rich

Re: Medigap Plan F

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:17 pm
by btenny
Don't you have to medicaly qualify at the new company to switch? If you have bad pre-existing conditions I was under the impression that the company you pick at 65 is the only company that has to (or will) provide you Medicgap insurance. All the other companies can decline you after the open enrollment period.

Bill

Re: Medigap Plan F

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:21 pm
by nonnie
btenny wrote:Don't you have to medicaly qualify at the new company to switch? If you have bad pre-existing conditions I was under the impression that the company you pick at 65 is the only company that has to (or will) provide you Medicgap insurance. All the other companies can decline you after the open enrollment period.

Bill
Fortunately, that is NOT the case in CA. You can switch during your birthday month; any other time you must do medical underwriting. I don't know how many other states have laws that permit this.

Re: Medigap Plan F

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:14 am
by Michele120
btenny wrote:Don't you have to medicaly qualify at the new company to switch? If you have bad pre-existing conditions I was under the impression that the company you pick at 65 is the only company that has to (or will) provide you Medicgap insurance. All the other companies can decline you after the open enrollment period.

Bill
Medigap is regulated by both state and federal law. Federally, it has both an Initial Enrollment Period and Special Enrollment Period. During those times approval is guaranteed. They are found in the "Guide To Medigap." Unless a person qualifies for one of those election periods, they must be able to pass medical underwriting. Some states may offer more Special Election Periods but that is not the norm. If you live in a state, like CA, that has an annual guaranteed approval period, you are more free to chase lower premiums. If you live in a state that only accepts federal regulations, when you are chasing the best Medigap premium, make certain to only shop with insurance companies you are willing to keep the rest of your life. If you develop an illness while you have them, you may not be able to change again and will be stuck with them unless you want to change to Medicare Advantage.

Re: Medigap Plan F

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:10 am
by TheGreyingDuke
It is my understanding that if the company you are insured with leaves the (state) market, you are then able to switch to another company without underwriting (but you are only guaranteed access to the same plan, an "upgrade" may open you to underwriting.)