car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
manuvns
Posts: 987
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:30 pm

car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by manuvns »

my 2014 mercedes c-class got rear ended with damages/repair work amounting to 7.5k , the insurance is young america / fred loya insurance . I have made a claim for car damges and they have created a claim number . I am trying to get in touch with this company claims department which is hard to get to, i need to get my car repaired . What are my options ?
Last edited by manuvns on Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Devil's Advocate
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

Call your insurance. Find out if you make a claim with them if they will go after other company.

DA
User avatar
gwe67
Posts: 1020
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:52 pm

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by gwe67 »

You are out of luck. They cost less because they don't pay out on claims.

"Fred Loya Insurance rating is F with the Better Business Bureau, and our review does not recommend the company due to the numerous lawsuits filed against them. Insurance claims are often ignored, and the company appears to consistently avoid paying them."

https://www.expertinsurancereviews.com/fred-loya/
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
rebellovw
Posts: 1133
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by rebellovw »

I don't know that insurance. I can't vouch for it.
quantAndHold
Posts: 6048
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by quantAndHold »

Is this your own insurance, or the other guy’s? If it’s the other guy’s, call your own insurance, and have them deal with it.

If it’s your own insurance, I’m sorry. You get what you pay for.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Topic Author
manuvns
Posts: 987
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by manuvns »

rebellovw wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:16 am I don't know that insurance. I can't vouch for it.
here are some reviews for this company

https://www.corporateofficeheadquarters ... ffice.html

i was told by lawyer to get it fixed with my insurance and they will attempt subrogation.
miamivice
Posts: 2418
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:46 am

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by miamivice »

manuvns wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:08 am my 2014 mercedes c-class got rear ended with damages/repair work amounting to 7.5k , the insurance is young america / fred loya insurance . I have made a claim for car damges and they have created a claim number . I am trying to get in touch with this company claims department which is hard to get to, i need to get my car repaired . What are my options ?
I can't tell if your insurance or the other parties insurance is young america. If that is the other parties insurance, you should find an attorney who will sue them and then they all of a sudden will agree to pay.
Topic Author
manuvns
Posts: 987
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by manuvns »

miamivice wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:22 am
manuvns wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:08 am my 2014 mercedes c-class got rear ended with damages/repair work amounting to 7.5k , the insurance is young america / fred loya insurance . I have made a claim for car damges and they have created a claim number . I am trying to get in touch with this company claims department which is hard to get to, i need to get my car repaired . What are my options ?
I can't tell if your insurance or the other parties insurance is young america. If that is the other parties insurance, you should find an attorney who will sue them and then they all of a sudden will agree to pay.
it's the other party insurace , she was broke and driving 2005 dodge neon with sub standard insurance .
Topic Author
manuvns
Posts: 987
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by manuvns »

quantAndHold wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:21 am Is this your own insurance, or the other guy’s? If it’s the other guy’s, call your own insurance, and have them deal with it.

If it’s your own insurance, I’m sorry. You get what you pay for.
it's the other party insurance that rear ended and was following too closely .
User avatar
8foot7
Posts: 2570
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by 8foot7 »

time to file with your own insurance as if you were hit by an uninsured motorist -
DarkHelmetII
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:25 pm

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by DarkHelmetII »

manuvns wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:08 am my 2014 mercedes c-class got rear ended with damages/repair work amounting to 7.5k , the insurance is young america / fred loya insurance . I have made a claim for car damges and they have created a claim number . I am trying to get in touch with this company claims department which is hard to get to, i need to get my car repaired . What are my options ?
Before suing them, contact your State Insurance Commissioner. Give them relevant information e.g.:

1) Date of accident
2) Policy # and claim #
3) Estimate or proof of payment for the $7.5K
4) Correspondence / attempts to reach out to the insurer

Might even use the phrase "market conduct violation" to put it in the language of the regulator. Point is that, regardless of how poorly the company is rated by the likes of the BBB or online reviews, what ultimately matters is the regulator.
User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 7438
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by Kenkat »

manuvns wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:22 am
rebellovw wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:16 am I don't know that insurance. I can't vouch for it.
here are some reviews for this company

https://www.corporateofficeheadquarters ... ffice.html

i was told by lawyer to get it fixed with my insurance and they will attempt subrogation.
This is exactly what you will need to do.
Topic Author
manuvns
Posts: 987
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by manuvns »

DarkHelmetII wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:27 am
manuvns wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:08 am my 2014 mercedes c-class got rear ended with damages/repair work amounting to 7.5k , the insurance is young america / fred loya insurance . I have made a claim for car damges and they have created a claim number . I am trying to get in touch with this company claims department which is hard to get to, i need to get my car repaired . What are my options ?
Before suing them, contact your State Insurance Commissioner. Give them relevant information e.g.:

1) Date of accident
2) Policy # and claim #
3) Estimate or proof of payment for the $7.5K
4) Correspondence / attempts to reach out to the insurer

Might even use the phrase "market conduct violation" to put it in the language of the regulator. Point is that, regardless of how poorly the company is rated by the likes of the BBB or online reviews, what ultimately matters is the regulator.
thanks i will be filing complaint aginst them with state Insurance Commissioner
onourway
Posts: 3016
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by onourway »

Just call your own insurance and get it fixed. It then becomes their problem to get paid by the other insurer. You will be temporarily out your deductible.
pshonore
Posts: 7288
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by pshonore »

onourway wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:37 am Just call your own insurance and get it fixed. It then becomes their problem to get paid by the other insurer. You will be temporarily out your deductible.
That works provided he has collision coverage (which is likely on a 2014 vehicle)
Topic Author
manuvns
Posts: 987
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by manuvns »

pshonore wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:41 am
onourway wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:37 am Just call your own insurance and get it fixed. It then becomes their problem to get paid by the other insurer. You will be temporarily out your deductible.
That works provided he has collision coverage (which is likely on a 2014 vehicle)
yes i do have coverage , with 1k deductible .
helloeveryone
Posts: 847
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:16 pm

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by helloeveryone »

onourway wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:37 am Just call your own insurance and get it fixed. It then becomes their problem to get paid by the other insurer. You will be temporarily out your deductible.
curious - if you claim through your insurance then let them deal with fighting the other insurer - does it count "against" you and then your insurance goes up since you have a claim?

I've always wondered. Obviously you pay a premium and these are the times you want to finally use their services but curious about that aspect.
dbr
Posts: 36362
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by dbr »

In any case you can't not report the accident to your insurance company.

You contact your company and don't deal with the other driver's insurance company at all. You obtain their insurance name and policy number to give that information to your company.

I have no idea if your insurance company will raise your rates or not. We have had very few auto insurance claims and have also never had a rate increase following a claim. The worst claim was an at our fault total of our own car.
LeslieSmiley
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 7:43 pm

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by LeslieSmiley »

helloeveryone wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:50 am
onourway wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:37 am Just call your own insurance and get it fixed. It then becomes their problem to get paid by the other insurer. You will be temporarily out your deductible.
curious - if you claim through your insurance then let them deal with fighting the other insurer - does it count "against" you and then your insurance goes up since you have a claim?

I've always wondered. Obviously you pay a premium and these are the times you want to finally use their services but curious about that aspect.
Insurance companies use all kinds of algorithms to determine risks and premium, the notion that your premium will go up every time you file a claim is not always the case. It depends on the nature of the claim and other factors. Typically, if you are not at-fault, the claim should not increase your premium generally.

As for the OP, most insurance companies provide “subrogation” service, that is, you typically file claim with your own insurance to get your car fixed and your insurance company will go after the other party’s insurance company to recoup the repair cost. If you have a deductible, you will be paying the deductible initially, but once your insurance company successfully recoups the cost of the repair, your deductible would be refunded back to you.
User avatar
galawdawg
Posts: 2763
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:59 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by galawdawg »

manuvns wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:22 am i was told by lawyer to get it fixed with my insurance and they will attempt subrogation.
Your lawyer gave you good advice. If subrogation is successful (your insurer may even need to sue the other driver's insurer), your deductible would be paid to you by your insurer from the recovery.
User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 7115
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by RickBoglehead »

manuvns wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:34 am thanks i will be filing complaint aginst them with state Insurance Commissioner
Why? What's your insurance company for? You make claim with yours, they charge you the deductible and they go after her company for the deductible. That's what you pay them for. Nothing for you to do at this time other than contact your insurance company.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Katietsu
Posts: 5079
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by Katietsu »

With my insurance company, if they ultimately pay out more than $750, it counts as an accident against me. But, if they just front the money and are able to get it back from the other insurance company, it does not. But this is just one data point. I do not think there is any universal set of rules.
Strayshot
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:04 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by Strayshot »

This is my opinion, YMMV

Never work with the other party insurance. Use your insurance, pay the deductible and get your car fixed. If the other party is at fault, your insurance will go after the other insurer (subrogation) and will also pay you back your deductible. The worst case outcome is that it takes a long time (or never) getting your deductible back. You have to decide how much time and hassle your deductible is worth. For me, as soon as Geico (other insurer) gave me the run around I just used my insurance (State Farm). I will probably never get my $250 deductible back, but the stress and hassle saved was worth it.

Now fighting with my insurer about the value of the car and the body shop for being useless, that is another story………..
User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 12066
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by ResearchMed »

OP: Is there a reason that you didn't have your own insurer handle this?

The few times we've had a claim, be it something like being rear-ended (at high speed :shock: ) or having a car spin out on ice and crash through our fence and some trees/bushes, we always contacted OUR insurance company.
The "other guy's insurance company" is not going to be *your* friend!

They've made sure things got paid. Auto accidents were the auto insurer, of course, and the driver landing on our yard after wiping out quite a bit, was *our* homeowner's policy with the driver's auto policy as far as I understand it.

The only thing that took a bit of time in the latter case was that the other insurer's lack of cooperation about paying our deductible. But that finally got paid, too.

A lot of people here on BH seem to avoid dealing with their own insurer, and I'm not quite sure why.
(Are we missing some sort of downside with this? It's always been relatively smooth... thus far.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
TJat
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue May 04, 2021 6:51 am

Re: car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by TJat »

Call your insurer as others have said. I don’t believe many States (if any) allow for rate surcharges for “not at fault” accidents. However, you might get unknowingly dinged if you shop around with other carriers. This isn’t determined if you tell your insurer about the accident or not, as any repairs will be picked up with Carfax or CLUE.
dbr
Posts: 36362
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by dbr »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:45 am
A lot of people here on BH seem to avoid dealing with their own insurer, and I'm not quite sure why.
(Are we missing some sort of downside with this? It's always been relatively smooth... thus far.)

RM
I think there is some sort of an idea they will get their rates raised and can avoid that by somehow covering everything up.

In reality the only friend you have if you are involved in an accident is your own insurance company.
mortfree
Posts: 2566
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by mortfree »

Similar experience but without the headaches.

My insurance company contacted the agent of the at fault party and got the claim submitted.

I didn’t submit a claim through my insurance.

I guess I got lucky.
User avatar
scorcher31
Posts: 364
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:13 pm

Re: car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by scorcher31 »

At least with my insurance in my state if the other party is found 100% at fault your insurance won't go up. I always go through my insurance.
quantAndHold
Posts: 6048
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by quantAndHold »

manuvns wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:46 am
pshonore wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:41 am
onourway wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:37 am Just call your own insurance and get it fixed. It then becomes their problem to get paid by the other insurer. You will be temporarily out your deductible.
That works provided he has collision coverage (which is likely on a 2014 vehicle)
yes i do have coverage , with 1k deductible .
Just go through your own insurance. The only reason you’d have to pay the deductible is if your insurance company can’t get the other insurance company to pay, which is unlikely.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
hnd
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:43 am

Re: car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by hnd »

in 2007 i was rear ended. the guy had some jenky insurance. i could never get a hold of anyone, it was a mess. I went through ours instead. I basically paid for half the repairs. After a year, i called our insurance company and they still were unable to make contact with the other party. i never received the deductible back. (I came out even in the end as I did the repairs myself)
mrmass
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: MA

Re: car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by mrmass »

Moral of the story-Don't get in a crash with a crapbox Neon.
nydoc
Posts: 213
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:57 pm

Re: car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by nydoc »

Just file the claim through your insurance. Why do you want to handle this yourself? It’s not your problem.
User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 12066
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by ResearchMed »

hnd wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:39 pm in 2007 i was rear ended. the guy had some jenky insurance. i could never get a hold of anyone, it was a mess. I went through ours instead. I basically paid for half the repairs. After a year, i called our insurance company and they still were unable to make contact with the other party. i never received the deductible back. (I came out even in the end as I did the repairs myself)
The one time we had a bit of difficulty with our (homeowner's, then) insurer recovering our deductible for us from the driver's insurance, we finally directed our insurer (we did not speak with the other insurer at any time) to tell the other insurer ("verbatim please") that our client has directed us to tell you...

"It's been too long now. We don't think our fence and trees jumped out and hit the car, so either give us our deductible within a week, or we file a complaint with the State Insurance Commissioner's Office."

Insurance is regulated.
We had the check cashed within the week.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
jerrysmith
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:20 pm

Re: car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by jerrysmith »

I've always gotten my insurance involved and they handled everything.
hnd
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:43 am

Re: car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by hnd »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:59 pm
hnd wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:39 pm in 2007 i was rear ended. the guy had some jenky insurance. i could never get a hold of anyone, it was a mess. I went through ours instead. I basically paid for half the repairs. After a year, i called our insurance company and they still were unable to make contact with the other party. i never received the deductible back. (I came out even in the end as I did the repairs myself)
The one time we had a bit of difficulty with our (homeowner's, then) insurer recovering our deductible for us from the driver's insurance, we finally directed our insurer (we did not speak with the other insurer at any time) to tell the other insurer ("verbatim please") that our client has directed us to tell you...

"It's been too long now. We don't think our fence and trees jumped out and hit the car, so either give us our deductible within a week, or we file a complaint with the State Insurance Commissioner's Office."

Insurance is regulated.
We had the check cashed within the week.

RM
we were noobs with cut rate progressive insurance.
User avatar
SmileyFace
Posts: 6566
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by SmileyFace »

manuvns wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:26 am
quantAndHold wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:21 am Is this your own insurance, or the other guy’s? If it’s the other guy’s, call your own insurance, and have them deal with it.

If it’s your own insurance, I’m sorry. You get what you pay for.
it's the other party insurance that rear ended and was following too closely .
I have been hit a few times and I never deal with the other insurance company - only my own. My insurance covers everything (once they determine I am not at fault - which usually is just one phone call). then chases the other driver's insurance.
User avatar
NewMoneyMustBeSmart
Posts: 566
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:28 pm
Location: Midwest

Re: car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart »

manuvns wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:08 am my 2014 mercedes c-class got rear ended with damages/repair work amounting to 7.5k , the insurance is young america / fred loya insurance . I have made a claim for car damges and they have created a claim number . I am trying to get in touch with this company claims department which is hard to get to, i need to get my car repaired . What are my options ?
I will share my opinion on dealing with claims adjustors and auto insurance.

I think that auto insurance serves to indemnify and defend the insured from lawsuits. As a courtesy and in their own interest, they have people proactively work issues prior to lawsuits, mainly to save money.

I've had 3 accidents in the last 10 years, the other driver was at fault each time.

After the accident, I mailed the insurance company and said "I will be repair my car from your clients action, and I will submit costs to you for reimbursement." I sent it certified and ignored their calls.

In all cases, I took care of my own business. I had my car repaired. I rented a rental car. I kept receipts and costs, and at the end of this, I sent the bill to the insurance company, including diminished value.

In two cases they simply paid it, in the the third they offered a lower amount, and I said okay I'll just sue your client and then they paid.

So, my recommendation to you is - of course you're getting the run around. That's their nature. Take care of business and give them the bill.

However, I have the luxury of cash to do this, and they were <$5k issues. If you don't have the cash, maybe try using honey and sweetness first, and the escalate to insurance regulators.
-- | Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts - Einstein
User avatar
StevieG72
Posts: 1406
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by StevieG72 »

Call your insurance company and let them handle it, you may have to pay the deductible but it will be recovered if they get payment from Fred Loya Insurance. If Fred Loya denies the claim it will fall under uninsured motorist coverage which usually has no deductible.

Happened to me, my 4Runner was rear ended by a young man driving his sisters car. The sister had one of the budget insurance policies, and they denied the claim. ( likely because the brother was driving and he was not listed as a driver or resident if he lives with her)
Anyways, no big deal my insurance covered 100% of repairs and rental under my uninsured motorists coverage. Unfortunately for the other driver not only was the minor damage to my vehicle not covered, the major damage to her car will not be covered either. In addition, my insurance company may choose to try to recover the amount paid for my claim from the driver or owner of the other car.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
tibbitts
Posts: 14306
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by tibbitts »

I have only had one instance of an accident and I dealt directly with the other driver's insurance - the other driver was at fault.

I had no idea my own insurance would pay for repairs (and then presumably be reimbursed by the other party) to my car when I had no coverage on my car other than liability, but apparently that's what everybody is saying.
User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 7115
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by RickBoglehead »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:33 pm I have only had one instance of an accident and I dealt directly with the other driver's insurance - the other driver was at fault.

I had no idea my own insurance would pay for repairs (and then presumably be reimbursed by the other party) to my car when I had no coverage on my car other than liability, but apparently that's what everybody is saying.
No, that's not what they're saying. If you lack collision, your insurance company will assist in the process but fix nothing.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
tibbitts
Posts: 14306
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by tibbitts »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:36 pm
tibbitts wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:33 pm I have only had one instance of an accident and I dealt directly with the other driver's insurance - the other driver was at fault.

I had no idea my own insurance would pay for repairs (and then presumably be reimbursed by the other party) to my car when I had no coverage on my car other than liability, but apparently that's what everybody is saying.
No, that's not what they're saying. If you lack collision, your insurance company will assist in the process but fix nothing.
I wonder how much assistance they would really offer given they wouldn't be on the hook for any payment. Does anyone have experience getting assistance from your own insurance company with claims where you don't have collision coverage? I just assumed I'd get no help so I didn't ask. I'd guess that very, very few Bogleheads carry collision insurance, especially beyond the first year or two of car ownership. Collision is probably almost as universally scorned around here as extended warranty coverage, since it's an expense most Bogleheads can self-insure - or at least they could before the current freakish rise in used vehicle prices
lazydavid
Posts: 3769
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by lazydavid »

onourway wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:37 am Just call your own insurance and get it fixed. It then becomes their problem to get paid by the other insurer. You will be temporarily out your deductible.
No, OP will be permanently out of their deductible. These rubbish companies NEVER pay. But yes, the correct process is to file a claim with your own insurance and let them go through the subrogation process. No reason for you to deal with that nonsense yourself.
SmileyFace wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:32 pm I have been hit a few times and I never deal with the other insurance company - only my own. My insurance covers everything (once they determine I am not at fault - which usually is just one phone call). then chases the other driver's insurance.
I always go to my own insurance first. But when they're collecting the information, depending on how I answer the other party's insurance question, their response changes. If it's one of the majors, they usually tell me to go ahead through their process and if I get any guff at all, to call them back and they'll handle it. In all of these cases, the process has indeed been painless. But a couple of times, they've told me straight out that the other company is garbage, and they will just handle everything on my behalf. If I told them it was Loya (which is primarily sold out of grocery stores around here), I would get the latter response.
User avatar
SmileyFace
Posts: 6566
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by SmileyFace »

lazydavid wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:46 pm
onourway wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:37 am Just call your own insurance and get it fixed. It then becomes their problem to get paid by the other insurer. You will be temporarily out your deductible.
No, OP will be permanently out of their deductible. These rubbish companies NEVER pay. But yes, the correct process is to file a claim with your own insurance and let them go through the subrogation process. No reason for you to deal with that nonsense yourself.
SmileyFace wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:32 pm I have been hit a few times and I never deal with the other insurance company - only my own. My insurance covers everything (once they determine I am not at fault - which usually is just one phone call). then chases the other driver's insurance.
I always go to my own insurance first. But when they're collecting the information, depending on how I answer the other party's insurance question, their response changes. If it's one of the majors, they usually tell me to go ahead through their process and if I get any guff at all, to call them back and they'll handle it. In all of these cases, the process has indeed been painless. But a couple of times, they've told me straight out that the other company is garbage, and they will just handle everything on my behalf. If I told them it was Loya (which is primarily sold out of grocery stores around here), I would get the latter response.
Are you saying here you answer to the other inurance company? I have gotten letters and calls from the other insurance company after filing my claim through my insurance but ignore them - I only work with my own.
JonFund
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:51 pm

Re: car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by JonFund »

As soon as I saw you have Fred Loya Insurance, I knew why you were having problems. [OT comment removed by moderator oldcomputerguy] I was rear-ended in an accident a few years ago, and the first question the tow-truck driver asked me before he proceeded was, "you don't have Fred Loya Insurance, do you?" Fortunately, I was insured by a "Good Neighbor" you might say.
lazydavid
Posts: 3769
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by lazydavid »

SmileyFace wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:30 pm
lazydavid wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:46 pm
onourway wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:37 am Just call your own insurance and get it fixed. It then becomes their problem to get paid by the other insurer. You will be temporarily out your deductible.
No, OP will be permanently out of their deductible. These rubbish companies NEVER pay. But yes, the correct process is to file a claim with your own insurance and let them go through the subrogation process. No reason for you to deal with that nonsense yourself.
SmileyFace wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:32 pm I have been hit a few times and I never deal with the other insurance company - only my own. My insurance covers everything (once they determine I am not at fault - which usually is just one phone call). then chases the other driver's insurance.
I always go to my own insurance first. But when they're collecting the information, depending on how I answer the other party's insurance question, their response changes. If it's one of the majors, they usually tell me to go ahead through their process and if I get any guff at all, to call them back and they'll handle it. In all of these cases, the process has indeed been painless. But a couple of times, they've told me straight out that the other company is garbage, and they will just handle everything on my behalf. If I told them it was Loya (which is primarily sold out of grocery stores around here), I would get the latter response.
Are you saying here you answer to the other inurance company? I have gotten letters and calls from the other insurance company after filing my claim through my insurance but ignore them - I only work with my own.
No, sorry. When I call my insurance and make a claim, one of the questions they ask is "What is the other party's insurance?" If my response to that is something like Liberty Mutual, they tell me to go ahead and go through Liberty's process and it will be smooth--with the provisio that if it isn't for any reason, they'll handle it. And it's been fine. The last time my wife's car got rear-ended, when I gave them the name of the other insurance company (which I no longer remember), they immediately said "We'll handle this, we've never once recovered from that company. Give us five minutes to collect the information we need, go get your car fixed and we'll take care of everything." So I did, and it was fine, except for predictably never getting my deductible back.
NYCaviator
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:06 pm
Location: NYC

Re: car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by NYCaviator »

Go through your own insurance. I was hit by someone with a policy from one of these "high risk" insurers. I tried to go through them... lesson learned. Turns out they do the estimates at the same offices where they sell the policies (the ones with huge stickers on the window that say "no license, no credit, no problem!).

One of the people working there (who not only sold policies but was an appraiser too :confused ?) used a hi-lighter to circle damage on my car, took pictures with her cell phone, and then told me to call the toll free number in a few days. When I finally got ahold of the adjuster, the estimate was $700. Come to find out not a single body shop in the area would work with this insurance company because they were so bad. I immediately called my own insurance, went to a body shop of my choosing, and the actual damage was almost $10,000. Never again.

I would absolutely report them to your state's insurance commissioner or they will keep getting away with this stuff. These low end insurance companies are predatory and they need to be held accountable. Their entire business practice is to delay and deny claims and make themselves so horrible to deal with that you end up going through your own insurance, and they win. The only entity to hold them accountable is the state regulator.
Katietsu
Posts: 5079
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by Katietsu »

Duplicate
Last edited by Katietsu on Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katietsu
Posts: 5079
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by Katietsu »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:33 pm. I'd guess that very, very few Bogleheads carry collision insurance, especially beyond the first year or two of car ownership. Collision is probably almost as universally scorned around here as extended warranty coverage, since it's an expense most Bogleheads can self-insure - or at least they could before the current freakish rise in used vehicle prices
I would guess this partially depends on rates. I consider my collision to be cheap insurance relative to the potential payout and likelihood of a payout. A couple of hundred a year for a potential >$30,000 payout seems a much better deal than $100 extended warranty on a $500 piece of electronics that will be worth $50 by the end of the warranty period.
[/quote]
TropikThunder
Posts: 2939
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:41 pm

Re: car got rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by TropikThunder »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:41 pm I'd guess that very, very few Bogleheads carry collision insurance, especially beyond the first year or two of car ownership. Collision is probably almost as universally scorned around here as extended warranty coverage, since it's an expense most Bogleheads can self-insure
These are often the same people who brag about saving $800 a year on homeowner's insurance because if their $700,000 house burns down they can just pay cash to rebuild it. Not people I would be looking to for inspiration.
User avatar
SmileyFace
Posts: 6566
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:11 am

Re: car gor rear ended , claims adjuster will not co-operate

Post by SmileyFace »

lazydavid wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:29 pm
SmileyFace wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:30 pm
lazydavid wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:46 pm
onourway wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:37 am Just call your own insurance and get it fixed. It then becomes their problem to get paid by the other insurer. You will be temporarily out your deductible.
No, OP will be permanently out of their deductible. These rubbish companies NEVER pay. But yes, the correct process is to file a claim with your own insurance and let them go through the subrogation process. No reason for you to deal with that nonsense yourself.
SmileyFace wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:32 pm I have been hit a few times and I never deal with the other insurance company - only my own. My insurance covers everything (once they determine I am not at fault - which usually is just one phone call). then chases the other driver's insurance.
I always go to my own insurance first. But when they're collecting the information, depending on how I answer the other party's insurance question, their response changes. If it's one of the majors, they usually tell me to go ahead through their process and if I get any guff at all, to call them back and they'll handle it. In all of these cases, the process has indeed been painless. But a couple of times, they've told me straight out that the other company is garbage, and they will just handle everything on my behalf. If I told them it was Loya (which is primarily sold out of grocery stores around here), I would get the latter response.
Are you saying here you answer to the other inurance company? I have gotten letters and calls from the other insurance company after filing my claim through my insurance but ignore them - I only work with my own.
No, sorry. When I call my insurance and make a claim, one of the questions they ask is "What is the other party's insurance?" If my response to that is something like Liberty Mutual, they tell me to go ahead and go through Liberty's process and it will be smooth--with the provisio that if it isn't for any reason, they'll handle it. And it's been fine. The last time my wife's car got rear-ended, when I gave them the name of the other insurance company (which I no longer remember), they immediately said "We'll handle this, we've never once recovered from that company. Give us five minutes to collect the information we need, go get your car fixed and we'll take care of everything." So I did, and it was fine, except for predictably never getting my deductible back.
Ah - I see. My insurance company never made me chase another - if they did I would probably switch as that's what I pay them to do.
Post Reply