Do I pay for extra day for 10 year anniversary?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JB2013

Do I pay for extra day for 10 year anniversary?

Post by JB2013 »

Hi everyone. I need an unbiased opinion here on something I've been going over in my head for the last few weeks and can't make a decision. My wife and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary in June. Her dream has always been to head out to Montana, stay in a remote cabin, and go horseback riding. So, I'm planning a surprise trip to do just that. My only question is: Does this trip feel rushed and should I pay to add an extra day?

We fly out on a Thursday morning and arrive at 9:30am. We are renting a car and should be able to leave the airport around 10:15am or so. We can't check in to our place until 3pm, so I plan on grabbing lunch and then going to one of the hot springs for a few hours until we can check in. Then perhaps just explore the area (our place is literally surrounded by mountains and forests) until we grab dinner. Afterwards head back to the cabin and hang out.

On Friday morning we need to wake up around 7:45am since it's an hour drive to the horseback riding company. I'm going to leave it up to my wife to do either the 2 or 3 hour option. If I know her, she'll probably pick the 3 hour. After the ride, we'll grab lunch and then stop at a different hot springs with 3 different temperature pools for a few hours. Then, I made reservations in advance at a good dining spot with steak/seafood.

On saturday we need to be up by 8am to leave around 8:30am in order to catch our flight back home. I'm wondering if all this seems too rushed where she never gets to sleep in much and not a ton of time in the area. Current expense so far is around $1,500, which includes the cabin, airfare, car rental, and estimating food.

If I add on another day, I need to pay a charge to change the flight day and book a hotel downtown since the cabin can't extend another day, which comes to $265. I can't extend the car rental so we would need to bring the car back to the airport and get an Uber to downtown Bozeman, which would cost around $25 and a 12 minute drive. Then thought we can rent some bikes totaling $50 to get around the city, lunch, dinner, etc. So, to add on another day is coming to around $500.

We have three kids 7 and under so felt a little bad to have our parents watch them for 3 nights, so I only booked it for two nights. But, now am regretting this a bit and realized I can always have one of our friends watch 2 of the kids which she always is open to.

I want this to be a fun and relaxing trip, but obviously don't want to spend the money I have and short change the experience. Does the extra money seem worth it? Does this trip feel rushed to you? Curious to hear what other Bogleminded folks think. Thanks!
dukeblue219

Re: Do I pay for extra day for 10 year anniversary?

Post by dukeblue219 »

It feels rushed. On your one full day you'll already be thinking about cleaning up and packing to head home. Can you at least fly back late on Saturday?
Winslow1130

Post by Winslow1130 »

3 kids for me under 7 as well. Book the extra day. Both of you earned it.
AlexanderTheMediocre

Post by AlexanderTheMediocre »

Agreed it feels rushed, especially if you're flying somewhere. Take the extra day if this is meant to be special.
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

I agree it feels rushed.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
jumppilot

Post by jumppilot »

Rushed. Not enjoyable.
Topic Author
JB2013

Post by JB2013 »

thanks for the feedback everyone. damn, lol. i figured as much. ah just killing myself for not thinking about this ahead of time. man this sucks
Last edited by JB2013 on Sat May 15, 2021 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Pay for the extra day
TIAX

Post by TIAX »

Stay at least 3 days
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

My perspective from being happily married for 43 years: you’re rushing it. The extra day is the right course.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

The extra day would be nice, but what about burdening your parents an extra day? To me that is the bigger issue. Are they okay with it? Did your friends say they can watch them a day? Are they all okay with the pass off, packing everything up, etc?
Last edited by Triple digit golfer on Sat May 15, 2021 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

IDK, I don't seeing adding an extra day in Bozeman with no car and staying in a hotel as adding much. That being said if you do do it, I'd suggest going to the Museum of the Rockies. For dinner I'd suggest going to the Mint Cafe and Bar in Belgrade. If you want and awesome sandwich go to the Pickle Barrel in Bozeman and take the sandwiches for a picnic in one of the parks or on the campus.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:38 am The extra day would be nice, but what about burdening your parents an extra day? To me that is the bigger issue. Are they okay with it? Did your friends say they can watch them a day? Are they all okay with the pass off, packing everything up, etc?
Burdening grandparents with grandchildren... get out of here, lol.
Triple digit golfer

MrBobcat wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:41 am
Triple digit golfer wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:38 am The extra day would be nice, but what about burdening your parents an extra day? To me that is the bigger issue. Are they okay with it? Did your friends say they can watch them a day? Are they all okay with the pass off, packing everything up, etc?
You never know. Also, they may have prior obligations even if they love watching the kids.
Topic Author
JB2013

Post by JB2013 »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:42 am
You never know. Also, they may have prior obligations even if they love watching the kids.
i already ran this by both my parents and my in laws who are completely fine with it. they live within walking distance so we are pretty close. i haven't reached out to the friend yet, but she is so chill and loves to do this kind of stuff. I doubt it would be a problem unless they are busy. My wife is really low maintainence in the fact that even getting to say she did this would mean a lot to her. Yet, I just feel it's rushed, so thought of the idea of staying th extra day. I would really be all for it if we could rent a scooter for the day bc we loved doing that on another trip, but I can't find anything like that in the area. The lack of transportation is kinda frustrating for this last day.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

JB2013 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:48 am
i already ran this by both my parents and my in laws who are completely fine with it. they live within walking distance so we are pretty close. i haven't reached out to the friend yet, but she is so chill and loves to do this kind of stuff. I doubt it would be a problem unless they are busy. My wife is really low maintainence in the fact that even getting to say she did this would mean a lot to her. Yet, I just feel it's rushed, so thought of the idea of staying th extra day. I would really be all for it if we could rent a scooter for the day bc we loved doing that on another trip, but I can't find anything like that in the area. The lack of transportation is kinda frustrating for this last day.
I'm semi surprised you can find an uber, but I guess there is an airport and a lot of people coming and going so it makes sense.
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Travel itself can be somewhat tiring. That combined with your pretty tight itinerary. Add the day and enjoy the trip.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues (travel).
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

In Bozeman its probably not a issue but like rental cars, be careful with Uber. In some locations they are still in short supply and/or are on surge pricing.

Go with the extra day and enjoy!
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

Don't count on the rental car. I had a "reservation" for one this week, but none were available (not your location).
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

JB2013 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:26 am thanks for the feedback everyone. damn, lol. i figured as much. ah just killing myself for not thinking about this ahead of time. man this sucks
Don't beat yourself up. It was a good intention honest mistake. Fix it... and it's like it never happened. Who cares it costs you extra money.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Feels extremely rushed. Extend at least 1 more day. Call the rental agency every day and request one day extension. Under normal circumstances I'd just keep the car an extra day, regardless of what the rental company said, but given current rental car shortage you might be impacting someone else's vacation if you kept it without approval.
Triple digit golfer

JB2013 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:48 am
I'd add the extra day then.
jljl222

Post by jljl222 »

If you want the cabin and car for the entire 3-night stay, maybe add the extra day to the start instead of to the end? i.e. consider starting the trip on Wednesday?
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

I could not find a rental car in Orlando a few weeks ago and tried Turo.com for the first time. It worked out great.

If you are not familiar with Turo, it's a car sharing marketplace (kind of the car equivalent to AirBnB).
FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish »

Extra vacation days are the best days. Enjoy, and happy anniversary.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

I try to book Wednesday- Sunday for these trips without kids. At worst Thursday-Sunday. It's your anniversary, do the extra day.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

JB2013 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:08 am I want this to be a fun and relaxing trip, but obviously don't want to spend the money I have and short change the experience....
This isn't what I'd call relaxing. As somebody else has already said, stay at least three days. It's the least you should do for a 10 year anniversary.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

Yes, extend this for another day. This seems very rushed and not relaxing. Returning the car, etc. also doesn't seem relaxing so maybe you can book a massage or something else that your wife might enjoy while you deal with logistics?
squirm

Post by squirm »

Some people love caos others like me don't. There's no way wife and I would do this trip in this time frame, but maybe you guys are different.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Try autoslash.com to book a rental car for the days you want. I use them a lot for great prices. Pre-Covid, wide choice of car rental companies.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

Commercial flights might be subject to long delays and sometimes they even cancel...
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

JB2013 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:08 am If I add on another day, I need to pay a charge to change the flight day and book a hotel downtown since the cabin can't extend another day, which comes to $265. I can't extend the car rental so we would need to bring the car back to the airport and get an Uber to downtown Bozeman, which would cost around $25 and a 12 minute drive. Then thought we can rent some bikes totaling $50 to get around the city, lunch, dinner, etc. So, to add on another day is coming to around $500.
A different perspective. I agree it feels rushed but looking at what has to be done to extend the stay which isn't even staying in the same spot or doing the same activities, I would go a different route. I would fly home and do something else on the home leg of the trip that you don't normally do. Go out to eat at a favorite restaurant, get a motel room in town and stay out late, etc. You are accomplishing the same thing as above but without the hassles of trying to get everything extended, packing up multiple times, etc.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

lthenderson wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:31 am
JB2013 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:08 am If I add on another day, I need to pay a charge to change the flight day and book a hotel downtown since the cabin can't extend another day, which comes to $265. I can't extend the car rental so we would need to bring the car back to the airport and get an Uber to downtown Bozeman, which would cost around $25 and a 12 minute drive. Then thought we can rent some bikes totaling $50 to get around the city, lunch, dinner, etc. So, to add on another day is coming to around $500.
A different perspective. I agree it feels rushed but looking at what has to be done to extend the stay which isn't even staying in the same spot or doing the same activities, I would go a different route. I would fly home and do something else on the home leg of the trip that you don't normally do. Go out to eat at a favorite restaurant, get a motel room in town and stay out late, etc. You are accomplishing the same thing as above but without the hassles of trying to get everything extended, packing up multiple times, etc.
I love this suggestion!
Watty

Post by Watty »

jljl222 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:10 am If you want the cabin and car for the entire 3-night stay, maybe add the extra day to the start instead of to the end? i.e. consider starting the trip on Wednesday?
Adding the extra day at the start of the trip would also be better so you could still do the other stuff if your flight is canceled or delayed and you have to take a later flight.

Just for future reference one problem with having such a short trip is that if the weather is bad for one key day it can be a big problem. I know that it is hard to find people to watch the kids but the next time you might try for a longer trip.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Curious what arrangements OP has decided on.

I do not think adding an extra day that involves returning the car and changing accommodations is really an upgrade. I like the suggestion of trying to add a day at the beginning. Or, at least, attempt to get a car rental that can be kept for the extra day so that you eliminate that part of the hassle.
tredd351

Post by tredd351 »

Dude, Life is too short and the chances like this only come around a few times. Stay stay stay.
Topic Author
JB2013

Post by JB2013 »

Katietsu wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:22 am Curious what arrangements OP has decided on.

I do not think adding an extra day that involves returning the car and changing accommodations is really an upgrade. I like the suggestion of trying to add a day at the beginning. Or, at least, attempt to get a car rental that can be kept for the extra day so that you eliminate that part of the hassle.
Well, I took people's comments to heart and agree that the two day trip was just feeling really quick. I called the car company and they said when I arrive there I could always ask for it to be extended. The car would need to be returned by Saturday, but I decided to extend the trip by one day. The airport is only a 10 minute drive from the hotel we will stay at on Saturday. My plan is to walk to a local cider/brewery place and just hang out on the main street of Bozeman. I contacted the hotel and she said Uber and Lyft are well saturated in the area, and calculated around a cost of $22 bucks to get down to main street after I drop the car off. There's also a nice bike rental place which we love doing, so I'll leave that open to her as well.

The friend is also taking my oldest two with her on Saturday and my parents agreed to take the 2 yr old for the extra night. I feel good about it, and while not ideal if I had planned better, I don't think my wife will knock me for it. A little curious how she will respond knowing I'm taking her away from the kids for three days, lol. Hoping it all works out!
sfnerd

Post by sfnerd »

JB2013 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:28 am
Katietsu wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:22 am Curious what arrangements OP has decided on.

Well, I took people's comments to heart and agree that the two day trip was just feeling really quick. I called the car company and they said when I arrive there I could always ask for it to be extended. The car would need to be returned by Saturday, but I decided to extend the trip by one day. The airport is only a 10 minute drive from the hotel we will stay at on Saturday. My plan is to walk to a local cider/brewery place and just hang out on the main street of Bozeman. I contacted the hotel and she said Uber and Lyft are well saturated in the area, and calculated around a cost of $22 bucks to get down to main street after I drop the car off. There's also a nice bike rental place which we love doing, so I'll leave that open to her as well.

The friend is also taking my oldest two with her on Saturday and my parents agreed to take the 2 yr old for the extra night. I feel good about it, and while not ideal if I had planned better, I don't think my wife will knock me for it. A little curious how she will respond knowing I'm taking her away from the kids for three days, lol. Hoping it all works out!
Well, she has a husband who obviously cares for her and her children, so I imagine she'll be very happy.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Way too rushed.

Stay at a dude ranch that has the riding there. Way to much traveling around and driving.

Book a place that is everything you want, horses, massages, spa, food etc. They are out there. And stay at least four days.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

JB2013 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:28 am

That sounds like a winner!
It's a GREAT day to be alive! - Travis Tritt
Topic Author
JB2013

Post by JB2013 »

Brianmcg321 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:34 am Way too rushed.

Stay at a dude ranch that has the riding there. Way to much traveling around and driving.

Book a place that is everything you want, horses, massages, spa, food etc. They are out there. And stay at least four days.
We are staying at a ranch. She said for a long time all she's wanted is to stay at a place in the mountains in a remote cabin and go horseback riding. So, that's what I booked. She has made the comment that she wouldn't want to do only an hour ride if she ever went there, and the place that we are staying at only offers hour long rides. So, I found a place 55 minutes away that does private rides of either 2 or 3 hours in length. A lot of other places would have you go with a group so I wanted to avoid that.

Hard place about Montana is things are spread out especially if she wants to stay in a log cabin in the mountains. Driving to places is part of the downfall.