[Got mysterious letter from the IRS]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
Topic Author
Johm221122
Posts: 5367
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 6:27 pm

[Got mysterious letter from the IRS]

Post by Johm221122 »

[Moved into a new thread from: Mysterious deposit from IRS --admin LadyGeek]
Katietsu wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:02 am The IRS does follow up with a letter if they adjust your refund.
Last year they did this to me. Sent me $8,000 and said I made a mistake. They did not exactly tell me mistake
My question which I didn't ask is how is that possible when my tax liability was maybe $1200?
Katietsu
Posts: 4966
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Mysterious deposit from IRS

Post by Katietsu »

Johm221122 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:18 am
Katietsu wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:02 am The IRS does follow up with a letter if they adjust your refund.
Last year they did this to me. Sent me $8,000 and said I made a mistake. They did not exactly tell me mistake
My question which I didn't ask is how is that possible when my tax liability was maybe $1200?
You got a letter but it did not have enough information to understand the change? While the IRS may have made a mistake in your situation, $8000 refunds are common for people with $1200 tax liability if there are children in the household or ACA policies.
Topic Author
Johm221122
Posts: 5367
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 6:27 pm

Re: Mysterious deposit from IRS

Post by Johm221122 »

Katietsu wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:18 am
Johm221122 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:18 am
Katietsu wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:02 am The IRS does follow up with a letter if they adjust your refund.
Last year they did this to me. Sent me $8,000 and said I made a mistake. They did not exactly tell me mistake
My question which I didn't ask is how is that possible when my tax liability was maybe $1200?
You got a letter but it did not have enough information to understand the change? While the IRS may have made a mistake in your situation, $8000 refunds are common for people with $1200 tax liability if there are children in the household or ACA policies.
No information. It just said I made a mistake. No children or ACA and simple return with just one W2 and nothing else
BD w/ Kung-Fu Grip
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:20 pm

Re: Mysterious deposit from IRS

Post by BD w/ Kung-Fu Grip »

Johm221122 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:43 am No information. It just said I made a mistake. No children or ACA and simple return with just one W2 and nothing else
So, did you keep it or follow up? Here's hoping they make the same mistake for me!
Topic Author
Johm221122
Posts: 5367
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 6:27 pm

Re: Mysterious deposit from IRS

Post by Johm221122 »

BD w/ Kung-Fu Grip wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:55 am
Johm221122 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:43 am No information. It just said I made a mistake. No children or ACA and simple return with just one W2 and nothing else
So, did you keep it or follow up? Here's hoping they make the same mistake for me!
I kept the money and put letter in safe deposit box. I have claimed single last 10 years and only had W2 income, bank interest of maybe $10 a year and cashed in EE bonds 3 years ago(matured and paid taxes only on interest not capital).
My 1040 is simple and I always have tax liability of a little over $1000 maybe $1200 recently. No home, kids or energy efficient tax breaks, etc... I don't understand why but I assume there letter/calculations are correct
User avatar
dodecahedron
Posts: 5595
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: Mysterious deposit from IRS

Post by dodecahedron »

Johm221122 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:43 am No information. It just said I made a mistake. No children or ACA and simple return with just one W2 and nothing else
My best guess about what might have happened to Johnm221122 is that another taxpayer submitted a large estimated tax payment and somehow that other taxpayer's SSN got mis-keyed as Johnm221122's SSN and accidentally credited to his tax account.

I believe the IRS runs some name-check SSN consistency protocols but if Johm221122's surname is a common one (e.g.,Smith, Jones, Miller, Williams, ...) or even just begins with the same four character name control as a common surname, (e.g., SMIT, JONE, MILL, WILL, ...) it is conceivable that some name SSN mismatches can elude that consistency protocol check.
Topic Author
Johm221122
Posts: 5367
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 6:27 pm

Re: Mysterious deposit from IRS

Post by Johm221122 »

dodecahedron wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:29 pm
Johm221122 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:43 am No information. It just said I made a mistake. No children or ACA and simple return with just one W2 and nothing else
My best guess about what might have happened to Johnm221122 is that another taxpayer submitted a large estimated tax payment and somehow that other taxpayer's SSN got mis-keyed as Johnm221122's SSN and accidentally credited to his tax account.

I believe the IRS runs some name-check SSN consistency protocols but if Johm221122's surname is a common one (e.g.,Smith, Jones, Miller, Williams, ...) or even just begins with the same four character name control as a common surname, (e.g., SMIT, JONE, MILL, WILL, ...) it is conceivable that some name SSN mismatches can elude that consistency protocol check.
My first and last name are extremely common. Your guess seems like a possibility. My mistake(they think) could be not putting down estimated tax payment?
User avatar
dodecahedron
Posts: 5595
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: Mysterious deposit from IRS

Post by dodecahedron »

Johm221122 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:01 pm
dodecahedron wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:29 pm
Johm221122 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:43 am No information. It just said I made a mistake. No children or ACA and simple return with just one W2 and nothing else
My best guess about what might have happened to Johnm221122 is that another taxpayer submitted a large estimated tax payment and somehow that other taxpayer's SSN got mis-keyed as Johnm221122's SSN and accidentally credited to his tax account.

I believe the IRS runs some name-check SSN consistency protocols but if Johm221122's surname is a common one (e.g.,Smith, Jones, Miller, Williams, ...) or even just begins with the same four character name control as a common surname, (e.g., SMIT, JONE, MILL, WILL, ...) it is conceivable that some name SSN mismatches can elude that consistency protocol check.
My first and last name are extremely common. Your guess seems like a possibility. My mistake(they think) could be not putting down estimated tax payment?
Yes, and such mistakes are not uncommon. Taxpayers don't always keep good records of all the estimated tax payments they made and I have seen taxpayers who forgot to enter an estimated payment get an IRS letter worded similarly to yours.
User avatar
celia
Posts: 12776
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:32 am
Location: SoCal

Re: DIDN’T get letter from the IRS—-yet!

Post by celia »

My guess is that you were eligible for some/all of the stimulus checks over the past year but did not get them at the time. After your 2019 or 2020 tax return was processed, you may have been eligible and have now received them.

So, first we should ask:
1. Did you receive the stimulus checks during the last year?

2. Were you eligible for them?
Topic Author
Johm221122
Posts: 5367
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 6:27 pm

Re: DIDN’T get letter from the IRS—-yet!

Post by Johm221122 »

celia wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:57 pm My guess is that you were eligible for some/all of the stimulus checks over the past year but did not get them at the time. After your 2019 or 2020 tax return was processed, you may have been eligible and have now received them.

So, first we should ask:
1. Did you receive the stimulus checks during the last year?

2. Were you eligible for them?
No I'm talking last year. Tax year 2019 and received money in March 2020. I originally thought it was bank mistake until a letter arrived a week later. Left money in checking account 6 months because I just knew they would just take it back. But here a year later nothing
User avatar
Metsfan91
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:33 pm

Re: Mysterious deposit from IRS

Post by Metsfan91 »

Johm221122 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:43 am
Katietsu wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:18 am
Johm221122 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:18 am
Katietsu wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:02 am The IRS does follow up with a letter if they adjust your refund.
Last year they did this to me. Sent me $8,000 and said I made a mistake. They did not exactly tell me mistake
My question which I didn't ask is how is that possible when my tax liability was maybe $1200?
You got a letter but it did not have enough information to understand the change? While the IRS may have made a mistake in your situation, $8000 refunds are common for people with $1200 tax liability if there are children in the household or ACA policies.
No information. It just said I made a mistake. No children or ACA and simple return with just one W2 and nothing else
Have you tried to pull transcript from IRS site? Transcript should show how refund was calculated.

Few years ago I received more om refund than what I expected. IRS followed it a with letter informing me that HSA mistake was made in my calculation.
“Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy.” — John C. Bogle
Topic Author
Johm221122
Posts: 5367
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 6:27 pm

Re: Mysterious deposit from IRS

Post by Johm221122 »

Metsfan91 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:57 pm
Johm221122 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:43 am
Katietsu wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:18 am
Johm221122 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:18 am
Katietsu wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:02 am The IRS does follow up with a letter if they adjust your refund.
Last year they did this to me. Sent me $8,000 and said I made a mistake. They did not exactly tell me mistake
My question which I didn't ask is how is that possible when my tax liability was maybe $1200?
You got a letter but it did not have enough information to understand the change? While the IRS may have made a mistake in your situation, $8000 refunds are common for people with $1200 tax liability if there are children in the household or ACA policies.
No information. It just said I made a mistake. No children or ACA and simple return with just one W2 and nothing else
Have you tried to pull transcript from IRS site? Transcript should show how refund was calculated.

Few years ago I received more om refund than what I expected. IRS followed it a with letter informing me that HSA mistake was made in my calculation.
No but that is good idea
Topic Author
Johm221122
Posts: 5367
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 6:27 pm

Re: Mysterious deposit from IRS

Post by Johm221122 »

Metsfan91 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:57 pm
Johm221122 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:43 am
Katietsu wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:18 am
Johm221122 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:18 am
Katietsu wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:02 am The IRS does follow up with a letter if they adjust your refund.
Last year they did this to me. Sent me $8,000 and said I made a mistake. They did not exactly tell me mistake
My question which I didn't ask is how is that possible when my tax liability was maybe $1200?
You got a letter but it did not have enough information to understand the change? While the IRS may have made a mistake in your situation, $8000 refunds are common for people with $1200 tax liability if there are children in the household or ACA policies.
No information. It just said I made a mistake. No children or ACA and simple return with just one W2 and nothing else
Have you tried to pull transcript from IRS site? Transcript should show how refund was calculated.

Few years ago I received more om refund than what I expected. IRS followed it a with letter informing me that HSA mistake was made in my calculation.
Actually simple to log on. I didn't know this was available

It says
Bal due/overpayment by computer TP

This line is at very bottom of transcription. I'm guessing it is saying I over payed close to $7000. Is this an estimated tax payment? Plus my letter specifically said I made a mistake
lazynovice
Posts: 1491
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:48 pm

Re: Mysterious deposit from IRS

Post by lazynovice »

Johm221122 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:47 am
Metsfan91 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:57 pm
Johm221122 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:43 am
Katietsu wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:18 am
Johm221122 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:18 am

Last year they did this to me. Sent me $8,000 and said I made a mistake. They did not exactly tell me mistake
My question which I didn't ask is how is that possible when my tax liability was maybe $1200?
You got a letter but it did not have enough information to understand the change? While the IRS may have made a mistake in your situation, $8000 refunds are common for people with $1200 tax liability if there are children in the household or ACA policies.
No information. It just said I made a mistake. No children or ACA and simple return with just one W2 and nothing else
Have you tried to pull transcript from IRS site? Transcript should show how refund was calculated.

Few years ago I received more om refund than what I expected. IRS followed it a with letter informing me that HSA mistake was made in my calculation.
Actually simple to log on. I didn't know this was available

It says
Bal due/overpayment by computer TP

This line is at very bottom of transcription. I'm guessing it is saying I over payed close to $7000. Is this an estimated tax payment? Plus my letter specifically said I made a mistake
You need to compare each line of the transcript to your return to see which is different to see where the difference is. That line is just doing math, I believe.
“I didn’t want my sailboat to be in the driveway when I died.” Nomadland
User avatar
David Jay
Posts: 11060
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:54 am
Location: Michigan

Re: [Got mysterious letter from the IRS]

Post by David Jay »

I am wondering if someone at some company accidentally entered John’s SS number into their system instead of an employee’s actual number and there was withholding that went on his record. I would compare the 2019 W-2 from his employer and the “amount withheld” on the return. My bet is that they don’t match (by about $7000).
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Topic Author
Johm221122
Posts: 5367
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 6:27 pm

Re: [Got mysterious letter from the IRS]

Post by Johm221122 »

David Jay wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:29 am I am wondering if someone at some company accidentally entered John’s SS number into their system instead of an employee’s actual number and there was withholding that went on his record. I would compare the 2019 W-2 from his employer and the “amount withheld” on the return. My bet is that they don’t match (by about $7000).
this appears to be the problem or an estimated tax payment(that I didn't make). Actually from a Google search this happens occasionally because many people have this same exact thing. I found 3 different discussions in 5 minutes. This never crossed my mind because they said I made a mistake
fabdog
Posts: 1703
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:59 pm
Location: Williamsburg VA

Re: [Got mysterious letter from the IRS]

Post by fabdog »

this appears to be the problem or an estimated tax payment(that I didn't make). Actually from a Google search this happens occasionally because many people have this same exact thing. I found 3 different discussions in 5 minutes. This never crossed my mind because they said I made a mistake
that's what happened. Somewhere else is a taxpayer who got a letter from the IRS demanding money because an estimated payment they made was not shown in their computers. The good news is that taxpayer by sending in their documentation (cancelled check most likely) got it resolved. The IRS then has no way to know where the estimated payment actually went.

You can try (if you desire) to write them a letter saying you didn't make this payment and want to return the money.

Mike
Post Reply