claim roof on insurance?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Avolition

claim roof on insurance?

Post by Avolition »

There are probably a lot of factors that make this not an easy question.

Our home has its original roof that is ~25 years old. Our insurance covers replacement cost, not depreciated value. We were just notified by our insurance that due to no recent claims we would have forgiveness from rate increase on our next claim.

We're 99% sure there's enough lifetime of hail damage and whatnot to get a roofer to say its damaged enough for a claim.

Should we try to claim the roof and get it replaced or should we just pay to have it replaced?
Ddd7651

Re: claim roof on insurance?

Post by Ddd7651 »

For my two cents, I always say don't lie or embellish and what happens happens. If a roofer thinks it has noticeable hail damage that shortened the life, so be it. If you submit it to the insurance company and simply ask if it is covered, they will respond. It never hurts to ask. Asking for the professionals in that arena to determine the outcome versus lying or demanding the outcome is different. I think everyone knows those types of people. Let the professionals figure it out and just ask I say.
Golf maniac

Post by Golf maniac »

Don’t know your location, but in Florida there are shady roofing companies going around neighborhoods asking if they can check your roof for hail damage. Of course they always find it and replace a lot of roofs in a neighborhood. Three problems, first the quality of the work may be subpar and not discovered until the company is long gone. Second, all the insurance filings have created a need to increase rates (somebody has to pay for all those new roofs). Third, the insurance may not cover all expenses so read the contract carefully before signing.

So, if you are going this route research and find a reputable roofing company in your area that has been around for a long time. Also, double check the fine print of your insurance coverage to determine exactly what they will pay and what documents you need to prove your claim. Personally I probably would just pay for the roof since it lasted the useful life anyway. I would want to save that no increase for claim in case something really big happened.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Avolition wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:24 am There are probably a lot of factors that make this not an easy question.

Our home has its original roof that is ~25 years old. Our insurance covers replacement cost, not depreciated value. We were just notified by our insurance that due to no recent claims we would have forgiveness from rate increase on our next claim.

We're 99% sure there's enough lifetime of hail damage and whatnot to get a roofer to say its damaged enough for a claim.

Should we try to claim the roof and get it replaced or should we just pay to have it replaced?
You've identified all the issues. What is it that you need forum members to decide for you? You make a claim, and it might get paid, might not. If it does, you've said you have no rate increase, and you've used up your forgiveness freebie. Seems pretty clear it's up to you to decide what you want to do, what insight could we possibly have?
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

If your insurer won't increase your premiums after the claim, there isn't much reason not to file a genuine claim if the amount would be meaningfully greater than your deductible. It will be put on the record shared by insurance companies, but I don't see that preventing you from getting another homeowner's policy if you needed one.
“Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Avolition wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:24 am There are probably a lot of factors that make this not an easy question.

My unfortunately somewhat extensive experience with this is that getting a roofer to say it's damaged enough for a claim is not the same as getting an adjuster to authorize paying the claim.

However I don't know whether a denied claim would count against you at least in terms of using up what seems to be your "claim credit."
zag00

Post by zag00 »

make sure roofing contractor is licensed, bonded, insurance, etc. They typically inspect for free. Have them take pictures while they are inspecting to show you after they come down off the roof. Insurance co will send an adjuster/inspector to confirm damage.
I'm in north tx that has been hit with hail 2-3x in the past 4-6wks it seems like. Getting my 9yr roof replaced due to hail damage. Pictures shows some areas down to the fiberglass - no bueno.
Having your contractor there while insurance adjustor is there is a good idea so that they agree on what is damaged and what is not.
Topic Author
Avolition

Post by Avolition »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:33 am

You've identified all the issues. What is it that you need forum members to decide for you? You make a claim, and it might get paid, might not. If it does, you've said you have no rate increase, and you've used up your forgiveness freebie. Seems pretty clear it's up to you to decide what you want to do, what insight could we possibly have?
Valid question. I guess our concern was what downside weren't we seeing. It seems too good to be true that insurance might possibly replace the roof and we'd not get fallout from them just for asking.
BarbK

Post by BarbK »

I think once you ask, that is a claim whether they deny it or not. I think you did really well having a 25 year old roof.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

zag00 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:44 am make sure roofing contractor is licensed, bonded, insurance, etc. They typically inspect for free. Have them take pictures while they are inspecting to show you after they come down off the roof. Insurance co will send an adjuster/inspector to confirm damage.
I'm in north tx that has been hit with hail 2-3x in the past 4-6wks it seems like. Getting my 9yr roof replaced due to hail damage. Pictures shows some areas down to the fiberglass - no bueno.
Having your contractor there while insurance adjustor is there is a good idea so that they agree on what is damaged and what is not.
At least right after a storm, which is my situation now, most roofers will not meet with an adjuster unless you agree in writing to have the roofer handle the entire claim. Meaning you agree to sign over the entire settlement to them and they act as general contractor. So for example in my case that's problematic because (besides the obvious potential conflict of interest) it might be that the roofer I would choose depends on whether insurance will replace the entire roof (one roofer said this would be a sure thing, beyond doubt), half the roof (another roofer said the insurance might approve that but not the entire roof, due to the direction of the hail), or just repairs. If you have to replace half a roof (and as in my case the same shingle color/model is still available), then it could be that an authorized contractor for your brand of roofing could provide a longer warranty. If the entire roof, you might want an authorized contractor for some other brand that you want to change to. In any case, having the roofer and adjuster there at the same time definitely doesn't mean they will agree on the damage they are both looking at - especially in this case with 25 years of normal "wear and tear." There is a certain life expectancy to a roof.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Avolition wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:50 am
RickBoglehead wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:33 am

Valid question. I guess our concern was what downside weren't we seeing. It seems too good to be true that insurance might possibly replace the roof and we'd not get fallout from them just for asking.
I did think of one question to ask.

While it's forgiveness for a rate increase, ask about a claim frequency / total. More specifically, a company may cancel your policy if you make more than X claims in Y years. Does a claim like this, forgiven for a rate increase, count?

I have coverage for technology with $100 deductible. I forgot I had this coverage, and broke a tablet worth say $600. Then 2 years later I drowned a phone worth even more. When I remembered the coverage, I was told to not forget that 3 claims on the same policy type within 3 years means I could get cancelled. The tablet didn't count because it was outside the 3 years and given as a favor.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
mkc

Post by mkc »

One of the first questions your insurance company will ask you is "What was the date of the loss?" They will want to correlate damage with a specific incident/hail storm/tree falling. And they will check the weather data if it's a hail or wind damage claim.
oldmotos

Post by oldmotos »

Turn it in and ask the insurance company to send someone out to see if the roof needs replacing due to hail. If they say yes get a couple of bids and get it done. No reason not to.
zag00

Post by zag00 »

tibbitts wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:07 pm
zag00 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:44 am make sure roofing contractor is licensed, bonded, insurance, etc. They typically inspect for free. Have them take pictures while they are inspecting to show you after they come down off the roof. Insurance co will send an adjuster/inspector to confirm damage.
At least right after a storm, which is my situation now, most roofers will not meet with an adjuster unless you agree in writing to have the roofer handle the entire claim. Meaning you agree to sign over the entire settlement to them and they act as general contractor. So for example in my case that's problematic because (besides the obvious potential conflict of interest) it might be that the roofer I would choose depends on whether insurance will replace the entire roof (one roofer said this would be a sure thing, beyond doubt), half the roof (another roofer said the insurance might approve that but not the entire roof, due to the direction of the hail), or just repairs. If you have to replace half a roof (and as in my case the same shingle color/model is still available), then it could be that an authorized contractor for your brand of roofing could provide a longer warranty. If the entire roof, you might want an authorized contractor for some other brand that you want to change to. In any case, having the roofer and adjuster there at the same time definitely doesn't mean they will agree on the damage they are both looking at - especially in this case with 25 years of normal "wear and tear." There is a certain life expectancy to a roof.
should have included YMMV in my post.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Insurance is quirky and certainly varies based on the state you live in.

Years ago we had a major hail storm in Arizona and it damaged my roof. The AZ insurance did not hold it against me for some reason that I can't recall. Then shortly afterwards I moved to MD and when I was getting insurance rates the companies in MD were holding it against me as a claim. They had some explanation but since this was ~10 years ago I don't recall the specifics.
GlennK

Post by GlennK »

BarbK wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:59 am I think once you ask, that is a claim whether they deny it or not. I think you did really well having a 25 year old roof.
Exactly. I had one of those neighborhood companies look at my roof and tell me I had hail damage. Insisted on calling the insurance company right then. The company said I had to file a claim before they would come out and look. I declined until I could get a few more roofers to inspect. Not surprisingly, those that have come out since say there is not significant enough damage for the insurance company to replace a 23 year old roof. They also have said that it is due, but could last another year or two.

I asked for a discount with the idea they can do it when you have down time from other homes, including waiting till fall. So far, no takers on that.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Was there a covered loss or not? Did you give timely notice to the insurer of the loss if that is required by your policy?

Whether you could "get a roofer to say its damaged enough for a claim" should not be a factor in determining whether to file a claim. There are unscrupulous roofers out there and insurance fraud involving exaggerated or outright false claims of storm damage is a significant issue for insurance providers as well as consumers, who ultimately bear the costs of fraudulent claims.

Be cautious not to look at the claim forgiveness recently offered by your carrier as a ticket to free replacement of a roof that has nearly or actually reached the end of its expected useful life. Filing a questionable claim directly on the heels of their notice that your next claim would not result in a rate increase could result in scrutiny by the carrier's fraud investigators. That is particularly true if particularly if you can't identify the date of the loss or if your claim is not substantiated by localized storm data and an adjuster's inspection of the roof (and other parts of your property that are frequently damaged by a hail event, such as gutters, windows, siding and vehicles that are not maintained in a garage or shelter).

None of us know whether you had a genuine covered loss. If you did, file your claim. However, if you file a non-meritorious claim hoping for a "free" roof, the consequences could be severe.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

You have to remember that there is no downside for a roofer who claims you can get insurance to pay for a new roof, but there may be considerable downside to you in attempting to claim damage on insurance.