Verizon Wireless - Asking for a lower rate

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
mstone3

Verizon Wireless - Asking for a lower rate

Post by mstone3 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:55 pm

I've been with Verizon Wireless for around 15 years and want to stay with them for their good service and quality of network/coverage, however like everyone I'd like a lower monthly bill. I currently pay around $70 for unlimited talk/text plus 2gb data. Has anyone successfully called Verizon and asked for a lower rate? Any negotiating tips or techniques?

Thanks!

bloom2708

Re: Verizon Wireless - Asking for a lower rate

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:59 pm

You could switch to a Prepaid plan.

You could switch to Total Wireless (Verizon coverage) and pay $33.20/month with auto-pay (plus tax) for Unlimited/Unlimited/5GB 4G LTE data.

I guess it can't hurt to call and say, "It is just one line, I want to lower my bill, what are some options?" I do not think the customer service reps will have any/much flexibility to deal.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:04 pm

Or, if you have Comcast internet, you could consider Xfinity Mobile. You would remain on the Verizon network. My service for 1G data is around $15; 2G would add $12 additional. That includes all taxes and fees.

niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:05 pm

I have not seen any scenarios that CSR can do in terms of offering reduced monthly Mobile Plans.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:25 pm

You can switch to a prepaid plan either with Verizon directly or with a reseller. I have Verizon prepaid and pay $40/month for unlimited talk/text and 3 GB of data with rollover data. You can get a better deal with a reseller/MVNO, but Verizon restricts the bandwidth of its resellers to far lower than 4G/LTE speeds. The lower bandwidth was enough of a downgrade for me to go with Verizon prepaid. YMMV.

mxs

Post by mxs » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:31 pm

I think at best, you may be able to save 10-15 dollars, if you are in an older plan that charges more than a newer plan. I don't think they are going to give you a unique plan/pricing. The only other option with them is if you can get an employer discount.

I would consider the Comcast option if you are a candidate, or US Mobile, Page Plus, and Total Wireless. Check them all out and get what fits your needs most. I looked at the past years monthly usage and priced against slightly higher than my monthly usage in minutes/texts/data and US Mobile is cheapest for me. Everyone has different usage though.

soccerdad12

Post by soccerdad12 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:35 pm

I was in the same situation a couple of years ago with AT&T. The service was great, but the $$ wasn't. They wouldn't budge so I moved to straight talk, an MVNO, which uses AT&T's network. The downside with straight talk with that when you tried to access the internet, there was always a 5 second lag, like I was on super slow-mo. I couldn't take it, so I went crawling back to AT&T. I am on Project FI now and it has been perfect for me.

Jayhawk11

Post by Jayhawk11 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:27 pm

Verizon has discounts for many employers if you work at a megacorp. I have a discount with them currently due to my current employer (the government), but before I was here they had a discount for my megacorp. Couldn't hurt to ask.

aceoperations

Post by aceoperations » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:29 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:59 pm
You could switch to a Prepaid plan.

You could switch to Total Wireless (Verizon coverage) and pay $33.20/month with auto-pay (plus tax) for Unlimited/Unlimited/5GB 4G LTE data.

I guess it can't hurt to call and say, "It is just one line, I want to lower my bill, what are some options?" I do not think the customer service reps will have any/much flexibility to deal.
I just switched to Total Wireless with 2 shared lines for $60/mo with unlimited talk/text and 15GB of shared data. This is more than enough data for us. Although the $$ is nice, the customer service was totally painful. While I was porting into Total Wireless, the rep told me that they had a "technical issue" that was "beyond their control" and that the issue needed to be "escalated" within 24-48 hours. While I was asking what the issue was and why it would take so long, my call dropped from my previous provider and I was ported into Total Wireless. :oops: :oops:

LetItRide

Post by LetItRide » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:50 pm

Assuming you are not on one of their for X years, you can switch anytime (I did this last year). Go to "verizonwireless.com" AND scroll to the bottom of the page (MAKE sure you get to the bottom as they try to push their higher price items on the top). Look for "Don't need unlimited" - unlimited is applying to data only.

Looks like for your equivalent items that you currently have, you can choose the "small" plan - $35/month.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:03 pm

Cricket Wireless is Unlimited Talk/Text and 2GB data (throttled to 2G speeds after 2gb) for $30/mo including taxes and fees.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:49 pm

Have you looked at Verizon's plans lately? I recently switched to unlimited text/talk with 5 gig of data (which rolls over if I don't use it) for $60.00 per month. Since I went with paperless billing, the discounted it another $5.00/month, for a total of $55 including taxes.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:09 pm

Jayhawk11 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:27 pm
Verizon has discounts for many employers if you work at a megacorp. I have a discount with them currently due to my current employer (the government), but before I was here they had a discount for my megacorp. Couldn't hurt to ask.
Verizon Wireless also gives discounts to the Military, including those who previously served. They will ask you to upload proof of your service, such as a DD214 form.

need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:20 pm

mstone3 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:55 pm
I've been with Verizon Wireless for around 15 years and want to stay with them for their good service and quality of network/coverage, however like everyone I'd like a lower monthly bill. I currently pay around $70 for unlimited talk/text plus 2gb data. Has anyone successfully called Verizon and asked for a lower rate? Any negotiating tips or techniques?

Thanks!
https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/5gb-for-55/

You can get 5 gb plus unlimited talk/text for $55.

Can switch online or call.

Comes out to be around $45 with my employer discount. Can check using your work email:
https://www.verizonwireless.com/discount-program/

LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:34 pm

I recently switched jobs and lost my employer paid plan but was able to keep my phone.

I’m very happy with my selection.

ATT Prepaid (formerly go phone) that is unlimited / unlimited / 6 GB per month with rollover data for each month. Sometimes I use 3gb then I get 9gb next month). 4G LTE.

costs $43 dollars per month with autopay and that includes taxes. Autopay gives $5 off.

I can add or change things on the plan on the go if needed. Very convenient.

Brewman

Post by Brewman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:57 pm

Ruger wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:49 pm
Have you looked at Verizon's plans lately? I recently switched to unlimited text/talk with 5 gig of data (which rolls over if I don't use it) for $60.00 per month. Since I went with paperless billing, the discounted it another $5.00/month, for a total of $55 including taxes.
I switched recently also and got a lower rate with more data. I actually did a chat session with their rep and he initially tried to push me to the more expensive plan but when I said the magic words "I'm considering switching to another provider" because I really need to lower my bill. He found me an "unadvertised" plan that he got me into. We had 5 phones with 10G of data and we regular went over by one Gig - he got me into an 18Gig plan that was cheaper than my original plan plus 8 more gig of data with the unused rolling over ....good bye overage charge. He also said when I switched he would not be able to continue my employer discount but after a little prodding he said he could honor it and was also able to consolidate to surcharges I was getting into one to save an extra $3 mth.....I was happy with his efforts! I know I don't have the cheapest plan but we were happy with verison and now even more so.

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:28 pm

I have Verizon prepaid and pay $40/month for unlimited talk/text and 3 GB of data with rollover data. You can get a better deal with a reseller/MVNO, but Verizon restricts the bandwidth of its resellers to far lower than 4G/LTE speeds.
It's my understanding that when push comes to shove, such as at Disney World, the Super Bowl, or anywhere where there are thousands of cell phones and bandwidth is congested, post-paid customers are served first, pre-paid customers come next, and MVNO's are last in line.

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:12 pm

I tried asking Verizon to lower my bill and was told I had the lowest rate so after 18 years I switched. I needed unlimited data so I went to Comcast with unlimited data for $45 a month. The new phone was additional but they gave me $200 off of an IPhone 7 and financed it at 0 interest for 24 months. Currently it saves a few dollars over my old Verizon plan but there are no over data charges and the real savings kick in when the phone is paid off assuming I keep the phone beyond that. There is no contract involved. They use the Verizon network so the service is the same.

mstone3

Post by mstone3 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:30 pm

Thanks all very much for your replies and suggestions - I did call Verizon and switched to the 5gb/unlimited talk and text as a few folks pointed out. With the employer discount, I'll be going down from $70 per month to about $45 - not too shabby!

gwe67

Post by gwe67 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:14 pm

shrinkabill got me a huge discount with Sprint. They took a 30% commission though.
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:59 am

Cheyenne wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:28 pm
I have Verizon prepaid and pay $40/month for unlimited talk/text and 3 GB of data with rollover data. You can get a better deal with a reseller/MVNO, but Verizon restricts the bandwidth of its resellers to far lower than 4G/LTE speeds.
It's my understanding that when push comes to shove, such as at Disney World, the Super Bowl, or anywhere where there are thousands of cell phones and bandwidth is congested, post-paid customers are served first, pre-paid customers come next, and MVNO's are last in line.
Is this true of all providers? Do you have some link to verification of this?

I don't care about crowd events, but I do care about disasters, and I lost AT&T service off and on for hours after a very bad storm which did substantial damage over a wide area recently.

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:10 am

Is this true of all providers? Do you have some link to verification of this?
I don't remember the exact links but I've done a fair amount of reading on cell phone service, mostly here: http://www.howardforums.com/forum.php?s ... 6f54788319, and that's mentioned frequently. It stands to reason that mobile phone companies would give priority service to post-paid customers. That's why they pay the premium.