My son wants to move to Hong Kong

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
steelerfan

My son wants to move to Hong Kong

Postby steelerfan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:10 am

So, I need some legal advice and I hope that someone here can offer it or point me in the right direction.

My 27 yr old son is currently living at home and working full time at a low paying job. We live in the U.S.

My son has fallen in love with a young women from Hong Kong who is a foreign student attending a local University in the U.S. She will be graduating in a few months and wants my son to go with her back to Hong Kong. They are not married nor are they engaged.

My wife and I will soon meet with them to discuss the issue and I want to be able to advise them on the legal hurdles as well as personal/moral issues they will need to think about.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Specifically:

Will they need to get married before he leaves for Hong Kong?
Will he need a visa? If so, what type?
Does he need any additional sponsorship besides her? From an employer, for example?
And then, anything else that I am not thinking about...
"You make most of your money in a bear market, you just don't realize it at the time." - Shelby Cullom Davis

barnaclebob

Re: My son wants to move to Hong Kong

Postby barnaclebob » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:14 am

Sounds like he doesn't have much to lose by doing this, be happy for him. The legal visa requirements are probably the biggest issue to research. Not sure what moral issues there could be unless he has some kind of obligations here. Your son doesn't sound like a good scam target and usually those relationships work by someone getting married for citizenship to stay in the US.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

cheese_breath

Postby cheese_breath » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:20 am

steelerfan wrote:And then, anything else that I am not thinking about...

Have you thought about sending an inquiry to the Chinese embassy or one of their consulates? I imagine an Internet search would probably tell you all you need to know.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

advice789

Postby advice789 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:37 am

Regarding Hong Kong, a few thought

1) Employment - a work visa is required to be employed. A company can sponsor a work visa. Also I think a spouse of a hk citizen can apply for a spousal visa. He can travel to Hong Kong and as a USA citizen, does not need visa prior to arrival. But this is a tourist visa and he would need to leave the country and return later. I heard some people leave for a day by going to Manila and then a day later return to Hong Kong for a tourist visa again. This cannot be abused as Hong Kong will see people departing and returning on tourist visa and may seem odd. Also local language skills very helpful to find employment but companies will hire English speakers with unique work experience. Note you cannot work with a tourist visa

2) marriage in Hong Kong is relatively simple. You go to the government office, register and you are legally married. Best to check local requirements for marriage as there maybe health checks etc.

There are websites with useful info. Your son can do a search to check this info. It is a world class city and lots to do,but can be very expensive like San Fran or NYC in t eras of rent and cost of living . Given partner is local, she will know the landscape for a reasonable life.

Best wishes to you all

Watty

Postby Watty » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:55 am

I don't know anything about Hong Kong but you can easily Google "Hong Kong Visa" and find lots of information.

Even if he can get a Visa to go there for an extended period of time the Visa it will not allow him to work there unless it is a special work visa. He may need to be able to show that he has a way to support himself until the date of his return flight and that he has health insurance.

Most likely his best choice is to go there for a few weeks on a tourist visa and then return and figure out what their long term plans are.

I don't know about Hong Kong but even if they get married it may take a long time to get a visa that allows him to move there and I would not assume that it would always automatically be issued. For comparison I worked with someone from India that got married to a woman there and it took them about a year to get a visa for her to come to the US. During that time she had to stay in India while he was in the US. I don't know the details but it sounded like they spent at least $10,000 on a lawyers and fees to get the visa approved.

If getting married is a possibility in the future then he needs to be very careful about violating any visa restrictions now. If he does something like goes there on a tourist visa and overstayed it then that could greatly complicate getting a permanent visa later.

SecretAsianMan

Postby SecretAsianMan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:02 am

1) He definitely shouldn't marry her right now.

2) Americans can stay 90 days in HK without a visa. He should be able to make a few visa runs (leaving for a day or more and then coming back) before they give him any trouble. Combine visa runs with frequent longer travel to other countries and he should be fine.

3) I would assume he would need to make some money and getting a work visa would make living there easier. With his skills, he'd likely only be able to get a job teaching English. That's probably the best avenue for him to take.

4) Sounds like he has nothing to lose by doing this at this point in his life. He should go! I moved to Asia in my early 20s and it was the best decision of my life.

5) There are a gazillion resources on the internet regarding this topic. I suggest he start looking if he's serious.

SAM

susa

Postby susa » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:06 pm

Humility is considered strength in the culture. The ability to master Cantonese (not Mandarin) will become a valuable asset later.

Afull

Postby Afull » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:18 pm

I think this is a great opportunity for your son and I hope you're not trying to discourage him. I couldn't tell from the tone of the OP if you were for, against or indifferent.

All the suggestions you've received are good. I would add that he go first as a tourist with his girl friend during a school break. Hong Kong will be a big culture adjustment and to quit job and move without having been there is a bit risky.

I have a nephew that made a couple trips to China in his 20's and it was life changing in many ways for him. My daughter also lived in Italy and Spain for school and as a part time English teacher. Going to a foreign country just gives people a better world view.

I think they become more independent/self reliant.

chocolatemuffin

Postby chocolatemuffin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:07 pm

As others have mentioned, legal requirements (e.g. visa) information is easy to find online. I immigrated to US from HK, so let me add my 2 cents here:

- What does he plan to do in HK? What skills does he have?
- Does he have a college degree? Credentials is very important in HK.
- Where does he plan to live? Rent is extremely expensive in HK. Even if he's able to get a decent job in HK, he'll still cram into a very small apartment (in US standard).
- HK is very hot and humid in the summer. Is he okay with the weather?

I think he should spend a couple months in HK first, and see whether he likes it there. It doesn't seem like he has anything to lose, so just treat it as an adventure.

flyingaway

Postby flyingaway » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:52 pm

The parents-children relationships in China (Hong Kong) are different from those in the U.S. The girl might be from a rich family in Hong Kong and everything will be solved in that case. (Not everyone can study in the U.S. without a financially sound family).

Sandtrap

Postby Sandtrap » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:14 pm

There may be cultural dynamics and implications that cannot be quantified. Either insignificant or insurmountable -- far beyond Visa and monetary or employment considerations. Good luck.

majiaknight

Postby majiaknight » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:40 pm

I visited HK several times during my wife's ~4.5 year graduate study in HK. Now we both work in high tech in CA. My wife and I never thought about moving our family to HK or working there. To us HK is much more crowded than SF or NYC and the living expenses especially for housing could be even higher than SF/NYC by US standard (google "cage home hong kong" and you'll know what I mean). Most high paying jobs are related to financial industry. You may have to learn at least a little bit Cantonese to live there. The humid weather could also be an issue.

It could be very exiting to visit HK for one or two months as a tourist, but it could be very challenging once you work and live there. The cost of living in HK will put great pressure on young couple financially.

I think your son and his partner need some serious talk on the option of moving back to US if things didn't work out as expected in HK. Good luck to them!

youdiditr2

Postby youdiditr2 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:47 pm

NO

NO. Hong Kong resident and USA resident can visit respective country for 90 days without a VISA

Does he need any additional sponsorship besides her? From an employer, for example?

Need to apply if he wants to work. Can't work on 90 days VISA

YES! How is he going to afford to live in Hong Kong? It's a lot of expensive to live in Hong Kong than in San Francisco.

He should also get used to living in cramped apartments. I mean very SMALL apartment. Small like MICRO Apartment. Even movie stars live in apartment in Hong Kong.

rralex1

Postby rralex1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:30 pm

steelerfan wrote:So, I need some legal advice
Will they need to get married before he leaves for Hong Kong? Based on your comments they are not married, so depending on what he declares as a purpose for the trip, no.
Will he need a visa? If so, what type? Same answer as above.
Does he need any additional sponsorship besides her? From an employer, for example? Again, it depends on what he declares his intentions to be.

Respectfully, what may be the greatest concerns are the future and whether this is good for your son or not (overly simplifying here). Legal questions are easily answered by calling the American embassy.

Having been through a son of roughly the same age following the love of his life to places that were not ideal, I can relate. I was very concerned on many levels. The good news is that the woman he was in love with was very focused on her future and also loved him has much as he loved her. Today she has her PHD and they are happily married. It was a journey however without a doubt.

I wish you well and share my experience to suggest that understanding much more about the girlfriend's and your son's plans, future, her family, and history will help to gauge what may be in the future for both of them. Love is indeed blind, and your support and seeking to understand in depth may go much farther than pursuing the legal ramifications of the move. If you know all of this pls disregard, just a post that wishes you, and your son, and your family well.

MossySF

Postby MossySF » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:34 pm

The cost of housing is high but if you are willing to live in a smaller footprint, you can offset with other lower living costs. The metro is cheap and best run in the world. Many people live in high rises where you can just take an elevator down to the shops/supermarkets at ground/2nd floor of your building. Every metro station has a gigantic shopping mall. Food is way cheap compared to SF/NYC/etc. You will lose weight from all the walking and public transportation. You feel safe going out for late nightlife because the streets are still packed with people. You can fly/stay cheap to multiple exotic countries for vacations.

And this is my opinion part -- if you are an American NOT OF ASIAN HERITAGE -- you will be seen as a higher class by most people in Hong Kong (and Asia in general). You may have been just some dude smoking weed behind the 7-11 parking lot but go to Hong Kong and you're now just a notch below Prince William.

On the downside, forget about driving unless you marry into a wealthy family living on Victoria Island. It's not like there are any fast roads to drive anyways unless you somehow pull off a dual China/Hong Kong license plate which costs I think about $100K (U.S. Dollars).

People here have already replied about HK tourist visa policy so you can head to Hong Kong first to get the lay of the land. If you want to find work, most companies can usually figure out how to sponsor you for a work visa. There's also something called the quality migrant scheme where you get assigned points for degrees and professional work -- that allows you to apply for a work visa even without a sponsoring company. Make sure you bring certified copies of all your documents like birth certificates and official degree records for any future work/permanent visa application.

student5

Postby student5 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:05 pm

"And this is my opinion part -- if you are an American NOT OF ASIAN HERITAGE -- you will be seen as a higher class by most people in Hong Kong (and Asia in general). You may have been just some dude smoking weed behind the 7-11 parking lot but go to Hong Kong and you're now just a notch below Prince William."

I doubt that very much nowadays. Perhaps 20 years ago.

youdiditr2

Postby youdiditr2 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:14 pm

student5 wrote:"And this is my opinion part -- if you are an American NOT OF ASIAN HERITAGE -- you will be seen as a higher class by most people in Hong Kong (and Asia in general). You may have been just some dude smoking weed behind the 7-11 parking lot but go to Hong Kong and you're now just a notch below Prince William."

I doubt that very much nowadays. Perhaps 20 years ago.

Still mostly true.

I was in Hong Kong 4 years ago for 4 weeks vacation and what I saw was White people generally treated a lot better than Chinese Mainlander.

Even if you're a millionaire Mainlander, you're waiting in line outside the store so you can buy a $20k hangbag.

The native Hong Kong folks have a short lash on mainlanders speaking Mandarin. Native Hong Kong folks will scream and cuss out the Chinese Mainlander, but you won't see them doing it on a white person.

student5

Postby student5 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:33 pm

"The native Hong Kong folks have a short lash on mainlanders speaking Mandarin. Native Hong Kong folks will scream and cuss out the Chinese Mainlander, but you won't see them doing it on a white person"

Shopkeepers perhaps, how about professionals, doctors lawyers, higher education folks? Do you want to tar all the HK people with the same brush? (I am not from Hong Kong by the way)

MossySF

Postby MossySF » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:05 pm

I don't want to get this thread side-tracked. I was just making that comment that an average American with a white complexion working an average retail job at the mall will probably see a bump in social class and opportunities in Hong Kong. This could make it a bonus for moving to Hong Kong permanently.

Anything beyond that ... I have been making visa runs to Hong Kong for years now and have seen it all upfront/behind the scenes ... and a lot of these topics have been covered recently by Hong Kong journalists so it's not like the Kongers don't know their prejudices. (And it's not like we don't have similar prejudices here in the U.S.)

sco

Postby sco » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:18 pm

Hong Kong is a nice city.. Also, it is very expensive. The Cultural differences I find very interesting, nothing to be concerned about.. Just figure out how to afford to live there :)

livesoft

Postby livesoft » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:28 pm

steelerfan wrote:My wife and I will soon meet with them to discuss the issue and I want to be able to advise them on the legal hurdles as well as personal/moral issues they will need to think about.

My advice to a 27-year-old adult would be to wish him well and to figure things out on his own.

I moved overseas at age 26. I don't even recall telling my parents until I had moved. I figured out how to get a job, a passport, a work visa, pay for airline tickets, find a place to live, speak/read/write the foreign language, etc.

Legal hurdles? Who cares? They can be solved.

Besides, one can always come back to the US.
Last edited by livesoft on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

harrychan

Postby harrychan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:30 pm

I am from Hong Kong and this is a bad idea. In general, no Chinese family who sends their daughter to the US for university is going to openly welcome a foreigner into their family who isn't clear on what they want to do with their life. There may be exception such as if you are extremely wealthy and can bankroll their daughter's future including theirs. But as someone else has stated, they must be upper middle class in order to send their daughter to school. My view is the young woman is from a wealthy family who thinks your son can live in their flat. It is quite a selfish proposal as I don't see how the woman or your son can support the cost of living in Hong Kong. The family may welcome your son initially but it will fade once they realize he doesn't have useful work experience which will lead to a job for a visa.

The discussion you need to have with your son and this girl is that you cannot responsibly allow your son to go to Hong Kong unless he comes up with a plan on how he will be able to support himself. I'm not sure if your son has a college education but low level Hong Kong job pays roughly 8000HKD which is roughly $1000 USD. Tax is flat rate at 15%

A studio in HK for rent in the city goes for about $600-700USD.

http://hongkong.craigslist.hk/apa/6018936607.html

Transportation costs go for about $100USD. That leaves you with $200-300 for food, utilities, entertainment, and others.

Feel free to PM me about most intimate details. I have more I can share about being a 'foreigner' in HK but I'd rather not post it in the open.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

moneywise3

Postby moneywise3 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:25 am

Contrary to popular belief, HK is fallible to political instability. With China economy tanking, its likely going to end up in political isolation by the world. Who knows what they might decide for the foreign nationals living there.

Sandtrap

Postby Sandtrap » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:34 am

harrychan wrote:I am from Hong Kong and this is a bad idea. In general, no Chinese family who sends their daughter to the US for university is going to openly welcome a foreigner into their family who isn't clear on what they want to do with their life. There may be exception such as if you are extremely wealthy and can bankroll their daughter's future including theirs. But as someone else has stated, they must be upper middle class in order to send their daughter to school. My view is the young woman is from a wealthy family who thinks your son can live in their flat. It is quite a selfish proposal as I don't see how the woman or your son can support the cost of living in Hong Kong. The family may welcome your son initially but it will fade once they realize he doesn't have useful work experience which will lead to a job for a visa.

The discussion you need to have with your son and this girl is that you cannot responsibly allow your son to go to Hong Kong unless he comes up with a plan on how he will be able to support himself. I'm not sure if your son has a college education but low level Hong Kong job pays roughly 8000HKD which is roughly $1000 USD. Tax is flat rate at 15%

A studio in HK for rent in the city goes for about $600-700USD.

http://hongkong.craigslist.hk/apa/6018936607.html

Transportation costs go for about $100USD. That leaves you with $200-300 for food, utilities, entertainment, and others.

Feel free to PM me about most intimate details. I have more I can share about being a 'foreigner' in HK but I'd rather not post it in the open.

+1

sjoung

Postby sjoung » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:38 am

steelerfan wrote:So, I need some legal advice and I hope that someone here can offer it or point me in the right direction.

My 27 yr old son is currently living at home and working full time at a low paying job. We live in the U.S.

My son has fallen in love with a young women from Hong Kong who is a foreign student attending a local University in the U.S. She will be graduating in a few months and wants my son to go with her back to Hong Kong. They are not married nor are they engaged.

My wife and I will soon meet with them to discuss the issue and I want to be able to advise them on the legal hurdles as well as personal/moral issues they will need to think about.

Job prospect is probably the biggest concern. Does he have a college degree? I'm not sure about HK but many Asian countries require a college degree to get a work visa as an English teacher. I've seen many without college degree teaching English (freelance) but risky.

In general, I think this is a great experience for him (I also did this when I was young). I've seen many young adults making similar moves in Asia. Some love it. Some hate it. It certainly builds character and he has really good opportunity to find out about what he really wants to do or not want to do. At minimum he'll certainly have a fresh perspective about the world. Good luck.

fishboat

Postby fishboat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:09 am

livesoft wrote:
steelerfan wrote:My wife and I will soon meet with them to discuss the issue and I want to be able to advise them on the legal hurdles as well as personal/moral issues they will need to think about.

My advice to a 27-year-old adult would be to wish him well and to figure things out on his own.

Amen..if 'advice' wasn't asked for then lecturing about legal, personal, or moral issues is a waste of time...it serves the OP's concerns rather than the son's. If he's still at home at 27 then a little first-hand life experience is probably a healthy step in some direction.

brito11

Postby brito11 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:40 am

Here are some of my observations: not HK native but speak Chinese and English and have worked in Asian countries...

1. I wouldn't dissuade your son from going. It's a great life experience, regardless of whether the relationship works out and what kind of job he gets. At this point when he is still young and living at home, I feel an experience like this will only help him.

2. SUPER IMPORTANT - he needs to get a job before he goes - unless his GF's family is well-connected and can get him a job once he gets there. It may seem easier to just land there and go job-hunting, but because of the uncertain visa status and lack of flexibility, it's better to find a job while in the States.

He should absolutely get all legal hurdles cleared or at least know how to deal with them. In this day and time, it is not okay to "worry about it later."

3. There are many stereotypes about Westerners/Americans/whatnot. While stereotypes exist everywhere, to some extent it is exacerbated in China because of the homogeneous population, even in HK.

4. Westerners tend to be treated better because they usually hold higher paying jobs in HK (e.g. finance, tech). It's not necessarily due to them being white...I would not bank on "rock star" as a selling point. Which is why it's important that your son first visit HK to see if he will like it, as a previous poster said.

market timer

Postby market timer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:11 pm

brito11 wrote:2. SUPER IMPORTANT - he needs to get a job before he goes - unless his GF's family is well-connected and can get him a job once he gets there. It may seem easier to just land there and go job-hunting, but because of the uncertain visa status and lack of flexibility, it's better to find a job while in the States.

It will be extraordinarily difficult to job search in HK from the US with a low paying job. With a high paying job, where you have unique skills, it's much easier to ask for a flyout or company transfer to HK. In OP's son's situation, I'd suggest making the move and seeing what comes from networking. HK should offer much more opportunity than what is available near his family's home in GA.

steelerfan

Postby steelerfan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:37 pm

OP Here.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have read all your replies and PMs too. I feel much better equipped now to guide and advise my son through this - thanks to all of you.
"You make most of your money in a bear market, you just don't realize it at the time." - Shelby Cullom Davis

yangtui

Postby yangtui » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:22 pm

Speaking as somebody who did something similar to your son, the only thing I would be concerned about is health insurance. Make sure he has catastrophic coverage. The last thing you want is to suffer some sort of serious calamity overseas and not have access to the best local care with the possibility of being flown back to the US for treatment.

blaugranamd

Postby blaugranamd » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:30 pm

A good friend of mine did something similar: packed up and moved to Taiwan on a whim and got a basic teaching position at a school teaching English. Had a great 2-3 years doing it eventually came back stateside. I don't know much about the legal/medical/etc stuff to this, but could be a great, once in a lifetime opportunity if done right.
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

Cyclesafe

Postby Cyclesafe » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:11 pm

I'm an American who has lived overseas in Singapore, Japan, Russia, Italy, Croatia, and UK. I did these things after establishing a competence in the United States that was in demand elsewhere. Something well beyond just speaking English, I might add.

Unless one is filling a "gap year" or is "taking time off to find oneself", or whatever, living overseas for no good reason merely postpones getting established in life. If this girlfriend's family will set your son up in their business, that's one thing. Good onya. But if he will be expected to make his own way in Hong Kong without more, I see trouble.

Often while I was working overseas, I'd get unsolicited resumes and cold calls from young Americans who wanted even unpaid internships to get established. The resumes and calls went unanswered every time. Why would I waste time with them when I could hire a local who could actually contribute to the organization? These kids had swallowed some fantasy that somehow they are exceptional because they are Americans and that of course an American would see that and give them a chance. Thousands of Americans have been used and abused as English teachers and then when they won't take it anymore are kicked out of the country to start over from scratch in the USA.

27 is already pretty old for a first job, but it's better than trying to find that first job at 30.

clip651

Postby clip651 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:31 pm

If your son is open to advice, and/or is reading this thread, here are a few things I would suggest before moving to another country and/or marrying someone from another country:

1) visit the new country first, either for as long as possible, or for multiple visits. See if you like the location, weather, culture, housing options, job options, etc, etc. And meet the family of the person you are dating.

1b) Don't get into any legal trouble while visiting a foreign country. Find out about local laws and customs in advance of your visit so you don't get in trouble accidentally.

2) if you like it there and want to move back there for a longer period of time and be employed there, come back home and fully investigate the legal issues and requirements with respect to a long term move and employment in the other country. Don't forget to investigate ex-pat tax issues amongst other issues - being from the US you will likely have to continue to file and pay US taxes even if you never work here again... (You can do this research prior to visiting as well, but since you won't know how you like it there until after you visit, you can wait until after the visit if you prefer.)

3) divorce is generally expensive and complicated. Being married to someone from another country adds significantly to the costs and complications in the event of a divorce. So do what you can to be really sure about the relationship, as well as the various arrangements for whichever country you will live in as a couple, before marrying. A long period of dating seriously prior to marriage may be a good idea.

And - have fun with the new adventure!

best wishes,
cj

dm200

Postby dm200 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:33 pm

I would also consider (and perhaps prepare for) future "change in plans" for them both to establish residence in the US.

InvestorNewb

Postby InvestorNewb » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:44 pm

Cyclesafe wrote:Often while I was working overseas, I'd get unsolicited resumes and cold calls from young Americans who wanted even unpaid internships to get established. The resumes and calls went unanswered every time. Why would I waste time with them when I could hire a local who could actually contribute to the organization? These kids had swallowed some fantasy that somehow they are exceptional because they are Americans and that of course an American would see that and give them a chance. Thousands of Americans have been used and abused as English teachers and then when they won't take it anymore are kicked out of the country to start over from scratch in the USA.

27 is already pretty old for a first job, but it's better than trying to find that first job at 30.

Or they just wanted a job regardless of the employer's nationality. I sense some hostility in your post.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)

halfnine

Postby halfnine » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:24 pm

Your son absolutely needs to sort out his visa situation. Utilizing a travelers visa and border runs to extend it can work great for those who have no long term commitments to a developed country since spending significant time elsewhere or returning home are not deal breakers. But it is a huge risk for those with partners. It could mean months together followed by months apart. He could risk becoming persona non grata with no chance of migrating into the country in the future. It can also complicate getting a correct spousal/fiance/partnership type visa when the time comes as often they want proof of time together and also that one wasn't misusing their existing visa. Now, if your son does opt to spend time in HK on a traveler's visa it is in his best interest not to mention his girlfriend lives there when going through immigration. It would also be in his best interest not to work without a proper visa. Hopefully, he doesn't have any sort of criminal record either.

I would say that if HK has a fiance visa, this might be a path worth looking into for them both. These typically might come with a 2 year period prior to necessitating a marriage.

I am going to echo a comment made by a few other posters. Short of some advance degrees or a doctor/lawyer the HK parents probably aren't going to be to keen on your son either.

But, for your son, he should give it a go. None of this is insurmountable. My spouse and I (citizenship from different countries) spent many years in and out of Visa Hell across a few countries and a couple of continents before we finally married.

Return to “Personal Finance (Not Investing)”