My dog has to go to the hospital

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Petrocelli

My dog has to go to the hospital

Post by Petrocelli » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:33 pm

Do you have any suggestions as to how to keep the bill down?

Thanks in advance.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

livesoft

Re: My dog has to go to the hospital

Post by livesoft » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:43 pm

Just like orthodontists, select a vet in a lower-average-income ZIP code.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

ks289

Post by ks289 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:48 pm

Sorry to hear about your dog. Hope things turn out well.
Difficult to control costs in this situation since vet fees, labs, radiology, meds can be expensive and it can be very difficult if not impossible to pick and choose which items are more high yield/ important than others.

1. We do sometimes apply cost effectiveness strategies for deciding on which tests to do with guidance from the vet. We have deferred ultra expensive testing such as MRI or even xrays in favor of empiric steroids for presumed disc disease.
2. We consistently save a little money on outpatient medications by asking vet to write prescription for any human medication (many antibiotics, analgesics, H2 blockers, steroids, muscle relaxants) and get it filled at Walmart instead of getting it from the vet office. Extra cheap if it is among the $4 generic meds offered.

blacktupelo

Post by blacktupelo » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:58 pm

We recently had to have our 13 year old cat in the animal hospital. They diagnosed him with gall bladder and liver problems but said they thought surgery could correct the problems sufficiently to give him another 9 mo. of life without the discomfort he was experiencing. So we gave the go ahead, knowing what the expected cost would be, but with an upper limit. Well he didn't come through the post-op so well and was getting worse. We should have stopped then to spare him more discomfort, but we had hope that also didn't pan out when a blood transfusion didn't really change his condition. Ended with euthanasia. So the final cost was much more than the original estimate but we gave the ok at each step.

The hardest thing to do is decide when to stop and do the humane thing for your animal.
Larry

MidnightX

Post by MidnightX » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:23 pm

I would suggest that you not express "we'll do whatever it takes" to get him/her better, even if you will. You, and probably most others here, know not to do that, but I slip every once in a while and quickly realize I have given them free rein to charge me whatever they want and to perform any unnecessary procedures they can think of to meet that end. Sorry about the pup.

MidnightX

Post by MidnightX » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:51 pm

Also, get a second opinion even though it will cost an additional office visit. I had a sick cat and the vet kept trying treatment after treatment. When he suggested removing one of its kidney, I took the cat to a different vet who said the cat had leukemia and removing its kidney would do no good. That experience is what prompted my prior response about unnecessary treatments. Although a vet may be low cost, unnecessary or futile treatments could cost you more in the long run.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:13 pm

It's going to be hard to keep costs down on the weekends with veterinarians. Anything that require immediate surgery is likely to incur a weekend "emergency service" price tag. And if the dog is already at an emergency veterinarian instead of a normal veterinarian, everything is going to come with a bigger price tag (emergency veterinarians are like ER visits, always more expensive than going to the normal veterinarian). The big thing to focus on is what is absolutely needed right now (particularly if you are at an emergency veterinarian), what can wait until next week at "normal" treatment prices, and what is optional (and pricey) but may have some level of benefit to the pet.

For example, a few years ago I had a cat with a congenital defect that led to getting urinary blockages. The regular vet said if he kept repeatedly getting blocked, he would need surgery to correct the issue. After having been discharged from the regular vet in the middle of the week for one blockage, he got another blockage on a Saturday night. The emergency vet put in a catheter to relieve the blockage and prevent toxic consequences that come when a cat cannot pee. But we waited until Monday to transfer the cat to the normal vet for the surgery he needed to correct the defect. Not only was the surgery 4x more expensive at the emergency vet, they were not as accustomed to performing the procedure as my normal vet was (so the outcome could have been poorer) and it was not immediately necessary for the health of the cat. So the emergency vet stabilized the cat for the weekend and the regular vet took over on Monday to complete the treatment.

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:29 pm

Thank you all sincerely for your replies.

Muchtolearn

Post by Muchtolearn » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:28 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:It's going to be hard to keep costs down on the weekends with veterinarians. Anything that require immediate surgery is likely to incur a weekend "emergency service" price tag. And if the dog is already at an emergency veterinarian instead of a normal veterinarian, everything is going to come with a bigger price tag (emergency veterinarians are like ER visits, always more expensive than going to the normal veterinarian). The big thing to focus on is what is absolutely needed right now (particularly if you are at an emergency veterinarian), what can wait until next week at "normal" treatment prices, and what is optional (and pricey) but may have some level of benefit to the pet.

For example, a few years ago I had a cat with a congenital defect that led to getting urinary blockages. The regular vet said if he kept repeatedly getting blocked, he would need surgery to correct the issue. After having been discharged from the regular vet in the middle of the week for one blockage, he got another blockage on a Saturday night. The emergency vet put in a catheter to relieve the blockage and prevent toxic consequences that come when a cat cannot pee. But we waited until Monday to transfer the cat to the normal vet for the surgery he needed to correct the defect. Not only was the surgery 4x more expensive at the emergency vet, they were not as accustomed to performing the procedure as my normal vet was (so the outcome could have been poorer) and it was not immediately necessary for the health of the cat. So the emergency vet stabilized the cat for the weekend and the regular vet took over on Monday to complete the treatment.

This is common in adult male cats. How did the cat tolerate the catheter or was he kept at the vet sort of "tied down" all weekend?

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:14 pm

Muchtolearn wrote:This is common in adult male cats. How did the cat tolerate the catheter or was he kept at the vet sort of "tied down" all weekend?

It wasn't an adult cat, he was only about 10 months at the time (and stunted growth due to this problem, so he was only the size of about a 4-5 month kitten). He just had a congenital defect in his "plumbing" so to speak such that any tiny crystal that a cat could normally pass would cause a blockage. This wasn't something a diet change could solve (we'd already tried all the veterinary urinary diets and he still kept getting blocked). It was just bad "plumbing".

And they don't really tie down any cat, not even a kitten. Cats don't tolerate that very much. At that point, he was rather "used to" the treatment so as long as he was lightly sedated (or even just on pain meds without additional sedation), he didn't bother the cath. The regular vet was hoping to get him a little bigger (up to 5 pounds, he was only 4 pounds at this point) before trying the surgery to increase chances of success, but that just wasn't in the cards.

In any event, my point was that there are treatments which are needed RIGHT NOW to save the pet. And then there are treatments that can be delayed until a normal veterinarian (at normal prices) can do the procedure. And there are treatments which are optional, but might provide additional benefits. The point is to get the weekend veterinarian to distinguish between these treatments before authorizing a course of action. Obviously, if it is something urgent like internal bleeding or ingesting a poison, you want that done right then and there regardless of the cost (or if the cost is too much, have the animal humanely euthanized). But if there are other options that might work out to be cost effective and not detrimental to the long-term health of the pet, you want to know all those options before you decide what to do. It's all about making sure you're properly informed.

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:55 am

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog! I hope he or she recovers and is soon bouncing around again with your family.

Keeping vet costs down... Hmm, I usually just say, between tears, "Here's my credit card. Take whatever you need. If you need more there's another card at home. Just get him well again."

The expense killer seems to be diagnostic tests. Especially if you go to an emergency animal hospital which tends to be manned by kids just out of vet school who haven't had that much experience diagnosing. They run whatever tests the textbook say. Truly, I once took a 19-year-old comatose cat to an emergency vet and the kid-vets in charge wanted to send her to the local vet school to do an MRI for brain tumors because they couldn't make heads or tails of the bloodwork and hadn't a clue what else might be wrong. When I said I didn't want to do brain surgery on a 19-year-old comatose cat they acted as if I were a bad, bad kitty-mom.

The local vet school is also pretty bad in this regard. The problem is that a sick dog or cat can't explain what's wrong, why they feel awful, so they go on diagnostic fishing trips. As a responsible pet owner you need to sometimes step in and say "I don't think putting a 16-year-old dog under general anesthetic for MRIs and CT scans is a good idea, especially since it's likely that whatever we find will be untreatable for a dog this age. Anyhow, all we have here is an old dog who is moaning, there is no other indication of a spinal or brain tumor." I don't think vets today want to make a judgement call like that.

A few of the vet clinics around here also pay their vets, who tend to be kids just out of school, mostly by commission on the tests and procedures they perform. We avoid those clinics.

Whenever we send one of our dogs to the local vet school for surgery we have our regular vet, a diagnostic whiz we've gone to for years, supervise the treatment. She goes over tests and x-rays, and makes any decisions on what tests will be performed. This keeps costs down, because there are no fishing trips. She has also caught some pretty serious things that the vet school has missed.

If there needs to be regular testing and monitoring, like bloodwork, we've found that the same test will have very different prices at different vet clinics in town. Curious because all the local vets send their bloodwork to the same lab. We call around, get prices, talk to our vet about it. Usually the prices change.

X-rays. We've found that the vet school and some of the local veterinarian surgical centers will not accept x-rays from local vets. Even though they're all using the same equipment. They always want to redo the x-rays at an $800 pricetag. This is always infuriorating. I always haggle over the practice and fees.

I think having a great regular vet is invaluable. Not only is our vet a great diagnostician, but she helps in navigating the veterinarian medical-industrial complex. :wink: She not only helps us keep costs down, but ensures that our dogs and cats get the very best treatment.

We talk to a lot of dog owners through the dog clubs we belong to and while walking our dogs around the neighborhood. This is a great way to find a great vet.

Good luck! Hopes and prayers for you, your dog and your family. I hope his recovery is quick and the years ahead of him long and sweet.

BenBritt

Post by BenBritt » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:08 am

Find the best vet in your area and write the check. Talk with other dog owners if time allows.

Wagnerjb

Post by Wagnerjb » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:47 am

Petrocelli wrote:Do you have any suggestions as to how to keep the bill down?

Ask the hospital if they will take your $5,000 watch as partial payment.
Andy

FlyHi

Post by FlyHi » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:40 pm

Since we have 5 dogs & 6 cats we were able to get a 10% discount from our vet. When I asked the vet to give me written persciptions so that I could order meds on line he asked for the web site's address and he matched their prices.

Good luck!
“If you want to feel rich, just count the things you have that money can't buy”

Martello Shores

Post by Martello Shores » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:03 pm

As with human patients--knowing the dog as you do--it might help to read up on conditions and treatments. Merck Veterinary Manual is at http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp. I've liked holistic vet Karen Becker's videos on various topics: http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... ideos.aspx ,e.g, planning for animal emergencies.

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:55 pm

Unfortunately, our dog suddenly passed away after 13 years with us. I learned some things going through the experience. I'll tell you about them later.

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:56 pm

Wagnerjb wrote:
Petrocelli wrote:Do you have any suggestions as to how to keep the bill down?

Ask the hospital if they will take your $5,000 watch as partial payment.

I'd give them more than that to have our dog back.

norookie

Post by norookie » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:14 pm

:oops:
Last edited by norookie on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c

rfburns

Post by rfburns » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:22 pm

Petrocelli, I'm sorry for your loss. I have lost beloved dogs in the past and am unfortunately am near losing my 12 year old lab now. I suppose you have to be a dog lover to understand how much we love them. Do your best to work through the mourning and when you are ready get a new dog to close the circle again.

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:37 pm

I am so very sorry, Petrocelli. As one gets older it gets harder. My condolences to you and your family.

camiboxer

Post by camiboxer » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:25 pm

So very sorry for your loss.
From one broken heart to another, I wish you and your family peace.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:31 pm

My condolences Petrocelli. It's never easy to lose a pet, but the sudden losses hit so much harder.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:47 pm

My deepest condolences. I never had a dog, nor did my wife, until 2 years ago. I didn't "get it". Befor that I wondered why people spent big sums on vet care. But the past two years with our pooch have been the greatest. So I get it, Petrocelli...and am very sorry for your loss. Dogs are members of the family. I wish you well during this tough time.

Martello Shores

Post by Martello Shores » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:11 am

"Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really."

-Agnes Sligh Turnbull

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts and condolences. They truly mean a great deal to me. I knew getting over Molly's death would be hard, but this is much harder than I thought.

From a financial standpoint, I learned this: If your dog has any chance of overcoming a medical problem, you will probably spend too much money on it to try and overcome that problem. Our vet told us that Molly would probably not survive when we brought her in. He thought we should euthanize her rather than spend money on treatment. We spent money on treatment anyway because there was a possibility she would survive.

It is very hard to think rationally where a loved one's life is concerned. Expect a modicum of irrationality when at the animal hospital.

FlyHi

Post by FlyHi » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:21 pm

Petrocelli,

My sincere apologies on your loss. I am dealing with a 12 1/2 year old Corgi who has many medical problems and she just started to refuse her regular food so we are hand feeding her chicken, I'm sure this is nature's way of telling us her days are numbered. If you don't have another dog (or pet) I suggest you get a dog right away to ease the pain.
“If you want to feel rich, just count the things you have that money can't buy”

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:10 am

Petrocelli wrote:Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts and condolences. They truly mean a great deal to me. I knew getting over Molly's death would be hard, but this is much harder than I thought.

From a financial standpoint, I learned this: If your dog has any chance of overcoming a medical problem, you will probably spend too much money on it to try and overcome that problem. Our vet told us that Molly would probably not survive when we brought her in. He thought we should euthanize her rather than spend money on treatment. We spent money on treatment anyway because there was a possibility she would survive.

It is very hard to think rationally where a loved one's life is concerned. Expect a modicum of irrationality when at the animal hospital.

Please don't have any regrets. We wouldn’t be caring human beings if we didn’t become a bit crazed at such times and spend more than what some might consider prudent to try to save the life of a beloved friend. In these situations one should never have any regrets about the sum spent, no matter the outcome. It is what money is for. Does it have any better purpose than to be spent on the sustenance, care, and well-being of those we love, even if the effort is in vain? So please, don’t permit yourself the torture of regrets, but remind yourself that you tried to make the best out of a heart-wrenching situation and I’m sure that for that your entire family will always be grateful.

Again, I’m so very sorry for your and your family’s loss. I hope that in time the heartache will recede a bit and all the warm memories of Molly will shine in their place.

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:13 am

FlyHi wrote:Petrocelli,

My sincere apologies on your loss. I am dealing with a 12 1/2 year old Corgi who has many medical problems and she just started to refuse her regular food so we are hand feeding her chicken, I'm sure this is nature's way of telling us her days are numbered. If you don't have another dog (or pet) I suggest you get a dog right away to ease the pain.

Chicken is good, but try this: Get a couple pounds of fresh liver. Simmer it with ten cloves of garlic. Less if you get the fresh pungent farmer’s market kind. Do not, I repeat DO NOT open the windows; it will build excitement! :D Toss into the pot a handful of chopped veggies if you feel creative. When the liver is cooked, cool the concoction, then put it all through a meat grinder, you know, one of those old-fashioned hand-cranked ones you get for a buck at a garage sale, also known as a Boglehead Special Cheapskate Food Processor. Dollop a few big spoonfuls of this, broth and all, on top of the old girl’s kibble. If there is still food left in the bowl after fifteen seconds she has lost her will to live.

I found this tip in a fundraising cookbook for a dog rescue club. I had an old dog with cancer who had stopped eating. This restored her appetite with a nearly wild gusto. I believe she lived an extra few months because she didn’t want to miss any meals. You can also make this garlic stew with chicken, giblets, and beef stew meat trimmed of fat. Some recommend adding Pedialyte, although I’ve never tried that and have heard that dogs don’t like it much.

Good luck to you and your dog! You can never love them too much.

ilmartello

Post by ilmartello » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:24 am

Petrocelli wrote:Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts and condolences. They truly mean a great deal to me. I knew getting over Molly's death would be hard, but this is much harder than I thought.

You gave your dog a pleasant lifestyle for as long as forces beyond your control would allow you to keep her. You did your job. Just have a good cry and when that time has faded, consider adopting a rescue or shelter dog so another pup can have a chance for a full life. No dog can replace another, each has their own unique quirks, but you'll at least feel part of the hole is filled.

HongKonger

Post by HongKonger » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:01 am

I'm coming late to this, but I want to also offer my deepest condolences. I lost my very loved 17 year old furbaby in May. You can light a candle at rainbowbridge.com if it helps. Pets are as much a family member as any human and deserve the same care and love - whatever it costs.

I am so sorry for your loss.

englishgirl

Post by englishgirl » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:17 am

I'm very sorry for your loss, Petro.

If it helps any, when my beloved cat passed away, I opted not to do any treatment, as it would only have given her at most a few months anyway. But I still felt horribly guilty. I'm glad that she went peacefully, but it seems that you either feel foolish for spending the money or guilty for not spending it. It's a no-win situation, as there's always going to be some sort of regret. What matters in the end is that you loved each other.

I waited 5 months to get another pet, as there was just no way that I was ready immediately and I needed that space to grieve. Now I have two little munchkins. :) Although right now one of them is not exactly helping me type as she's lying all over me purring and cutting off circulation to my arm.
Sarah

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:49 am

Petrocelli wrote:Unfortunately, our dog suddenly passed away after 13 years with us. I learned some things going through the experience. I'll tell you about them later.

Wow...I just noticed this thread. Terribly sorry for your loss. We lost one of our dogs just two months ago. I can tell you this, as you deep down already know and others have probably said, it will pass. Hang in there!

I don't know if it will help or hurt...be hard to read or make you smile...or all of the above...but here is the thread about the dog we're adopting now.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=99835

Don't feel obligated to read/look...but just know that eventually you'll probably find another great dog that will present a whole new challenge and a whole new outlook for you. It just so happened that this very dog fell into our laps this week. I know you probably can't even fathom thinking about another dog right now...Lord knows I couldn't at the time. But you will.

Best wishes to you.

Christian

woof755

Post by woof755 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:40 pm

Sorry, Petro.

I still miss my black lab, Velvet, and think remember her like we lost her yesterday. But it was 2001. Best. Dog. Ever.

Just like your Molly!
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:32 pm

englishgirl wrote: If it helps any...

Believe it or not, the responses in this thread are a great comfort to me. Doing an ordinary task like making my sandwich for work the past two mornings has become an emotional ordeal when I look down and Molly isn't there to get her morning treat. It's good to know others understand that feeling.

rfburns

Post by rfburns » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:37 pm

It takes time, but you will survive with your happy memories of your pet Molly. My advice is when your grieving becomes less, start thinking about getting a new dog. I know it's hard to imagine now and a new dog never 'replaces' the other, but new bonds form again and the joy returns. I'm on my third lab now and she she is running out of time. But I don't regret anything because my dogs have always received good care and were and are a source of great comfort to me.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:40 pm

Mrs.Feeley wrote:Simmer it with ten cloves of garlic. Less if you get the fresh pungent farmer’s market kind.

Garlic and onions are not properly digested by dogs and cats, which results in the destruction of red blood cells. This may or may not result in anemia, depending on how much the animal ingests. It's probably best to err on the side of caution and avoid feeding anything containing garlic and onions, particularly with small animals or sick animals.

jcharles

Post by jcharles » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:36 am

Dear Petrocelli,

So sorry to hear about your loss. Over the past nine years we have lost two min pins who raised a corgi who thought he was a min pin until the day he passed. Today we have two corgis.

For us it has always been good to have at least one other familiar canine friend around to love and share the healing process with. And while we never completely get over the loss, welcoming a new member to the family helps to sooth the grief and gives us the joy of new adventures to anticipate and share. In our experience the surviving senior dog also seems to take great pride in raising a little puppy and passing on the wisdom of of the dog trade. With our unbroken chain of puppies we often see unique behaviors in our newest corgi kids that we often observed and commented about as being unique to our first min pin. This too is a comfort.

And to tell you the truth, when it comes to vet bills in the middle or at the end of lives that will always be too short, if we have the funds, it is not money spent on heath care for "a dog". It is health care for a family member who gives or has given us more joy than we can ever repay. I doubt that there is a dog person alive who wouldn't give anything they could for just one more walk, one more game of ball, or one more trip to the doggie beach with a friend who gave you unconditional love every day of their life.

I hope you find a special canine friend to share new adventures with soon.

Best regards,

jcharles

lucky3

Post by lucky3 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:40 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss. Back in December we lost Munson (yes, named after Thurman) a bischon of 14 years....I'm an adult with grown kids out of the house, never thought I would take the loss as bad as I did. Still get a little choked up when I think about it. After combing through rescue websites we found Lucky...a 2 to 3 year old bischon/poodle mix who's a great little dog. We'll never forget Munson, but having Lucky helps. Only a fellow dog person knows what you're going through. Embrace the love you gave your dog.

Lucky3

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:06 pm

Upon reflection, I have thought about a dog's life like this:

They have short lives, but good lives. They are born, and go directly into retirement. No portfolios, no worries about interest rates, no school, no job. They simply eat, sleep and live a life where they are walking down the street and a total stranger walks up, pets them, and tells them how great they are.

Not a bad existence.

G12

Post by G12 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Petrocelli wrote:Upon reflection, I have thought about a dog's life like this:

They have short lives, but good lives. They are born, and go directly into retirement. No portfolios, no worries about interest rates, no school, no job. They simply eat, sleep and live a life where they are walking down the street and a total stranger walks up, pets them, and tells them how great they are.

Not a bad existence.

Sorry for your loss, the finality of death can be brutal. We have tended to find a new companion within 6-8 weeks of losing a valued buddy, it helps ease the pain and give one something to work on and enjoy.

The lucky dogs are those you describe above. Like humans, many canines draw very bad lots in life and experience much harshness and pain, which is why we try and adopt/rescue to give the less fortunate a shot at a great life.