WSJ

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Offshore

WSJ

Post by Offshore »

I like reading the WSJ print edition, but the subcription rate is crazy high. I don't want to re-up.

Browsing the internet led me to a place that described how one can read the online WSJ for free. It involved cutting/pasting article titles to the google search bar, then using the results link to bypass subscriber access. It works!

Anyone who does this with regularity? Does it get old fast to cut/paste multiple articles on a daily basis?
greg24

Re: WSJ

Post by greg24 »

I don't do it very often, but that is how I read WSJ articles. If I wanted to read a bunch every day, I may not be willing to do it.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Why not just go to the library?
Gordon
SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill »

gkaplan wrote:Why not just go to the library?
Might need to do a cost analysis on this. Amt of gas used to get to/from library.

-B
DonDraper

Post by DonDraper »

A little unethical, no? You are pretty much stealing the content.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

DonDraper wrote:A little unethical, no? You are pretty much stealing the content.
Stealing may be a stretch. Doesn't the WSJ license the reprinting of the articles on other sites and get paid? Its not like he is asking his subscriber-friend to scrape it off the WSJ site and email it to him.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

We are letting our subscription lapse.

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

After many years, our subscription ran out last week. It is a great paper but I am not renewing at $500/year. I also feel foolish spending at least an hour every day reading it. There are better things to do with the time. It does nothing for our stay-the-course portfolio. The Miami Herald and internet are more than enough news.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

DonDraper wrote:A little unethical, no? You are pretty much stealing the content.
A little context please. Did you mean the library or the google?
shawcroft

The WSJ

Post by shawcroft »

I, too, have found the WSJ to be a great newspaper. I read it almost daily when I was at work and could thumb through a copy at the company library. ( we had a financial library at my company). I retired a few years back and could never justify the expense for an individual subscription......now less so since I have become a full-blooded Boglehead.
Shawcroft
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I subscribed to the print edition of the WSJ a couple of years ago with miscellaneous airline miles. When my subscription ran out I started reading it online through Google but I certainly didn't get as much out of it that way. It was, however, tolerable and better than paying for it - I am not willing to pay the full subscription rate. Recently I subscribed again using points from online surveys I occasionally take (e-rewards). I will continue to re-subscribe using points of one kind or another as long as I can make that work and read through Google during periods that I am not subscribed.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
BC_Doc

Re: We are letting our subscription lapse.

Post by BC_Doc »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Bogleheads:

After many years, our subscription ran out last week. It is a great paper but I am not renewing at $500/year. I also feel foolish spending at least an hour every day reading it. There are better things to do with the time. It does nothing for our stay-the-course portfolio. The Miami Herald and internet are more than enough news.

Best wishes.
Taylor
I've subscribed to the WSJ on my iPad for the past couple of months-- the cost is approximately $20 per month. I'm enjoying having access to it, but I'm definitely not reading it cover to cover.

The print edition isn't available here in western Canada. Even if it were available, $500 would be above my price point!

Cheers,

BC Doc
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

WSJ through airline miles can be a really good value. It's the equivalent of, like, a 30 bucks for a full year.
johnny72

Post by johnny72 »

Last edited by johnny72 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
SnapShots

Post by SnapShots »

It is important our newspapers survive and the Internet is killing off most of them. However, although I feel guilty and I cheat and read the NY Times free. The way to do it is to set your browser to Private Browsing. :greedy Edit: Private Browsing did not work with the WSJ. :annoyed
the best decision many times is the hardest to do
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Just dropped my print subscription to weekend only. $52 pa.
jej

Re: We are letting our subscription lapse.

Post by jej »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Bogleheads:

After many years, our subscription ran out last week. It is a great paper but I am not renewing at $500/year. .........

Best wishes.
Taylor
Ditto.

I look at the on line WSJ front page most days. A lot of content is not behind a firewall. Some is. My local library web site has the full content of the WSJ, as do many large public library systems. It is awkward, but sometimes worth the trouble to read an article. Fox Business on line covers the news end of the WSJ for me, and National Review Online covers the opinion end for me. Free is good.

jej
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

They are always running specials. My last subscription for the print version was $15.60/month, and I've seen it lower than that. I can't buy paper to line my parrot's cage, delivered to my door (actually driveway), cheaper than that.
yobria

Post by yobria »

With so many free sources, hard for me to justify paying for news. Unfortunate for the industry, but that's the way it is.
etarini

Post by etarini »

Easy Rhino wrote:WSJ through airline miles can be a really good value. It's the equivalent of, like, a 30 bucks for a full year.
Is that only for new subscribers? Can you renew with miles each year?

I've been getting the print and the online edition for years, but I'm not happy about how much it costs. I'm tempted to dump the print edition, except that it's better for browsing, and I find I stumble upon lots of articles I wouldn't have read otherwise.

Eric
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

etarini wrote:
Easy Rhino wrote:WSJ through airline miles can be a really good value. It's the equivalent of, like, a 30 bucks for a full year.
Is that only for new subscribers? Can you renew with miles each year?

I've been getting the print and the online edition for years, but I'm not happy about how much it costs. I'm tempted to dump the print edition, except that it's better for browsing, and I find I stumble upon lots of articles I wouldn't have read otherwise.

Eric
Supposedly it is for new subscribers only but I've found that most publications don't adhere to their 'new subscriber' policies. I typically re-subscribe to magazines at new subscriber rates (that I locate online) using the same name and address with no problem. I do risk skipping an issue or two but that doesn't concern me.

I'm not sure about the WSJ's stance on this. As I mentioned earlier I have subscribed to the WSJ with airline miles and then e-rewards miles with no problem, however there was a break in service between the two subscriptions.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
jaytheman

Post by jaytheman »

I started to take it every month with the Nook ebook version but I found that I did not have the time to go through it most weeks. I now buy an occasional version on weekends or review periodically at the library. I like it but could never see $500/yr. for it. I would even keep taking the Nook ebook version if my nook let me mass delete issues that I did not care about. Note: to non-Nook users removing an issue is cumbersome and if you have a week's worth of unread ones, you quickly tire of it.
williamg

Post by williamg »

reggiesimpson wrote:Just dropped my print subscription to weekend only. $52 pa.
Didn't realize they had this option. Does that turn out to be just the Saturday edition?
YoungLion

Post by YoungLion »

After my subscription using airline miles ran out, I renewed only for weekends for $52/year. And, yes, that's only one paper a weekend . . . delivered to the doorstep on Saturday morning.
magellan

Post by magellan »

johnny72 wrote:
Unbelievable position to take. WSJ does this because they want their content to be available in Google/Bing search results. To do that they make their content free to users of those search engines. There is no stealing involved.
+1. IMO, there's absolutely nothing unethical about this. WSJ could easily prevent their content from being indexed by google, but they won't. The truth is, they really really want those additional pageviews from non-subscribers.

They're optimizing to get the most revenue they can from each reader. They start with high subscription rates, then offer cut-rate deals to subscribers who shop around a bit, then offer the content for free for folks unwilling to pay. Those nonsubscribers generate pageviews that bring in ad revenue and this has become an important part of the formula. Very few sites want to shut out non-paying users completely, they just want to make it hard enough to entice folks to subscribe if they're so inclined. It's a classic case of a business trying to get the maximum revenue possible out of each consumer.

Jim
tonsofthorns

Post by tonsofthorns »

Here is a link for a 26 week subscription:

http://www.rewardsgold.com/mags/wsj/tgs_wsj_pg4-26.htm

I have been doing this for over a year and have stacked free subscriptions, which as of now expires next year.
schmoglehead

Post by schmoglehead »

I stopped the WSJ because over the past few years the quality has gone down. There are fewer of the in depth articles that used to make this paper so great. While I miss what the WSJ used to be, I dont miss what I let expire six months ago.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

williamg wrote:
reggiesimpson wrote:Just dropped my print subscription to weekend only. $52 pa.
Didn't realize they had this option. Does that turn out to be just the Saturday edition?
Yup. As jaytheman said its one day (Saturday) but its the best as far as i am concerned. Weekend investor section is usually quite timely and the other sections are fulfilling. I dropped the NY Times years ago.
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

We just switched from the San Francisco Chronicle to the local paper. I used to complain about the Chron only having a 4-page business section. My local paper only has 1 page--the back page of the sports section so I've been looking at a WSJ subscription. Haven't signed up yet but the last offer I found was $99/year.

https://wsjsubscribe.com/
This post may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.