2012 Honda civic, loss of steering wheel, always rolls back

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
no_name

2012 Honda civic, loss of steering wheel, always rolls back

Post by no_name » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:31 pm

Hi,

I normally do not post, however, I am in dire need. My parents bought 2 cars in May 30. Both are 2012 Honda civic LX. My parents are on a road trip with the other car.

Today, I drove my 2012 Honda civic to school and back, it worked fine. It sat in the garage. Afternoon, I backed out on the drive way and then shifted the car on "DRIVE," the car rolled back. I hit the brakes, but it was solid as cement. The steeling wheel was glued in place and cannot be moved by hand. It cannot be turned. The car still rolled back before I placed the gear in "PARK." The steeling wheel light is orange and is on. I turned the car on and off, the same experience happened.

When my brother gets home, I will let him try to "drive" it. I called Honda several times, they said my car is NOT in RECALL, however, I AM EXPERIENCING A RECALL.

I googled 2012 honda recall and got this:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/cars/2012 ... story.html
The NHTSA bulletin says that during assembly of certain 2012 Civics, the process required to seat the driver’s side driveshaft and set the retaining clip was not completed. As a result, the driveshaft may separate.

If separation occurs, the engine will no longer be able to propel the vehicle in any gear and the vehicle may roll away if the parking gear has not been set when the gear selector was placed in Park position. This situation increases the risk of vehicle crash and injury.

In a statement, Honda said that it has not received any reports of crashes or injuries related to this issue.
This describes the similar situation I was in. The car is 5 feet behind a communication box.

What to do? What to do?

I need the car to go to school and work.

Please help.

hicabob

Re: 2012 Honda civic, loss of steering wheel, always rolls b

Post by hicabob » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:36 pm

call the dealer since the car is under full warranty and tell them the car is not functional and they should come fix it.

no_name

Post by no_name » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:40 pm

hicabob wrote:call the dealer since the car is under full warranty and tell them the car is not functional and they should come fix it.
I tried and tried. Their lines is always busy. Cannot get any answers. They didn't offer any solution.

void

Post by void » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:06 pm

You should be able to call any Honda dealer for servicing and/or loaner.

Also, contacting Honda of America is an option.

gatorking

Post by gatorking » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:40 pm

Your car should also have roadside assistance since it is new. Call that number and have your car towed to the nearest dealership. Insist on a loaner for the duration of the repair. Also, tell the dealer/ Honda of America that you are about to report this to NHTSA since the current recall obviously is insufficient.

Good luck.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:52 pm

Go to your neighbors and ask them to look at your car.

Is it simply that you have the steering column locked? Do you know what I mean? Can you unlock the steering column?

Once my spouse turned on the anti-theft mechanism without even knowing her car had an anti-theft mechanism. The car was completely dead. Flipping the hidden switch fixed everything instantly.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

SteveB3005

Post by SteveB3005 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:00 pm

Like livesoft asked, is the steering wheel in a bind? Put the key in the ignition and turn the key as you turn the wheel and see if the steering wheel springs free.
Last edited by SteveB3005 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:04 pm

livesoft wrote:Go to your neighbors and ask them to look at your car.

Is it simply that you have the steering column locked? Do you know what I mean? Can you unlock the steering column?

Once my spouse turned on the anti-theft mechanism without even knowing her car had an anti-theft mechanism. The car was completely dead. Flipping the hidden switch fixed everything instantly.
I concur with livesoft. It might be the steering wheel locked. Make sure the key is in park. Turn the key before you start the car and jiggle the steering wheel with your right hand while you turn the key to ignition. See if that unlocks it.

If that doesn't work, call AAA. Have them look at it then have it towed to your Honda dealer. I presume your parents left you / your brother some cash or credit card. In the past you can use the towing cost and just enroll into AAA and they will count that as your first tow. After you get to Honda, insist you get a rental as others stated but you will unlikely get one. Good luck and keep us posted.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

Oddlot

Post by Oddlot » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:26 pm

You might find something relevant in the owner's manual about the steering wheel.
I presume you have called your parents(?). They may belong to an auto club or can offer other ideas.

awval999

Post by awval999 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:11 pm

gatorking wrote:Your car should also have roadside assistance since it is new. Call that number and have your car towed to the nearest dealership. Insist on a loaner for the duration of the repair. Also, tell the dealer/ Honda of America that you are about to report this to NHTSA since the current recall obviously is insufficient.

Good luck.
100% this. It's under full warranty. Have them tow it. Tell them to fix it. Request a loaner car. Ez game.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:14 pm

We know what really happened: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3Rf4mJtD4k

no_name

Post by no_name » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:18 pm

Last edited by no_name on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LynnC

Post by LynnC » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:30 pm

Agree, steering column might be locked.

If it isn't, after asking neighbor, then call Honda roadside assistance and have them come get it. It is covered under full warranty.

LynnC

no_name

Post by no_name » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:41 pm

please look at the videos!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:46 pm

Nice!

cacophony

Post by cacophony » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:49 pm

From the video it appears your engine is not running. The tachometer is showing 0.
Why would you expect the car to go in reverse when the engine isn't running? If you put a car in gear with no throttle doesn't it just roll in the direction of the incline?
Last edited by cacophony on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

no_name

Post by no_name » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:49 pm

vehicle was on...sigh.

Can anybody offer an explanation? Is this normal?

cacophony

Post by cacophony » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:50 pm

no_name wrote:vehicle was on...sigh.

Can anybody offer an explanation? Is this normal?
But your engine wasn't on .. sigh.

cacophony

Post by cacophony » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:52 pm

"The Honda Center" ... lol.

no_name

Post by no_name » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:56 pm

thanks everyone.

segfault

Post by segfault » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:59 pm

no_name wrote:please look at the videos!
I get the following message:
The video you have requested is not available.

gatorking

Post by gatorking » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:00 pm

Agree - the engine is not on.

cacophony

Post by cacophony » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:07 pm

Engine not being on explains everything you described in your original post: steering locked, car rolling while in gear, firm brake pedal

no_name

Post by no_name » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:13 pm

cacophony wrote:From the video it appears your engine is not running. The tachometer is showing 0.
Why would you expect the car to go in reverse when the engine isn't running? If you put a car in gear with no throttle doesn't it just roll in the direction of the incline?
The first video was a parking lot. there was another experience, when I was at the house, we have a little incline drive way. The car was on and backed out in reverse, then switched to drive, i hit the throatle. but the car was still rolling back. i'll post more videos, with the engine ON.

cacophony

Post by cacophony » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:32 pm

no_name wrote:
cacophony wrote:From the video it appears your engine is not running. The tachometer is showing 0.
The first video was a parking lot. there was another experience, when I was at the house, we have a little incline drive way. The car was on and backed out in reverse, then switched to drive, i hit the throatle. but the car was still rolling back. i'll post more videos, with the engine ON.
You didn't recognize the engine being off in your video, so I kinda doubt you're remembering correctly. But if it happens again a video will certainly be helpful.

BenBritt

Post by BenBritt » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:46 pm

Do not panic if possible.Contact your parents. Your dealership is ignoring your calls. That is just plain wrong.I was looking at a CRV this past Saturday. Seems they are having problems. I will pass on Honda. I am very sorry you are in this bind. Honda should be more than willing to help you.

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:55 pm

no name wrote: I normally do not post, however, I am in dire need. My parents bought 2 cars in May 30. Both are 2012 Honda civic LX. My parents are on a road trip with the other car.

Today, I drove my 2012 Honda civic to school and back, it worked fine. It sat in the garage. Afternoon, I backed out on the drive way

OK, the engine was running when you backed out--nothing unusual.

and then shifted the car on "DRIVE," the car rolled back. I hit the brakes, but it was solid as cement. The steeling wheel was glued in place and cannot be moved by hand. It cannot be turned.

This sounds like the engine died and you had no power steering of brakes.

The car still rolled back before I placed the gear in "PARK." The steeling wheel light is orange and is on. I turned the car on and off, the same experience happened.

Were you rolling when you placed the shifter in park? That would have produced quite a jerk. The steering wheel light means the power steering is not active. It will be on normally when the engine is not running, but the ignition is on. Where there any other lights on? If it was on (and others too) it probably means the ignition was on, but the engine was not running. The symptoms you describe are normally associated with engine off.

When my brother gets home, I will let him try to "drive" it. I called Honda several times, they said my car is NOT in RECALL, however, I AM EXPERIENCING A RECALL.

It doesn't matter if there is a recall on this problem, the car is under full warranty. Call the dealer, and if you can't get through email them and tell them you need service.

Related power steering problems with Honda fit.

http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general- ... -came.html

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:04 pm

I wonder if the OP is of legal driving age...
Attempted new signature...

LynnC

Post by LynnC » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:22 am

I am beginning to wonder about this entire post!

Honda roadside assistance are the people to call. The car in under warranty, but there seems to something else going on here and I'm not sure what it is. The driver may not be of legal age.

I could view the video either.

LynnC

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:19 am

It's interesting that cars now work so well such that many drivers have probably never experienced what used to be the fairly normal occurrence of having the engine stall, and the resulting loss of power steering and power brakes. If you aren't expecting it, it does feel like the steering or brakes are "locked", because of the dramatic increase in effort required. Actually I've never experimented with electric-assist steering, but I assume(?) it keeps working without the engine running, unlike the old engine-driven systems. I don't know of any electric-powered brake assists, but maybe there are some.

Paul