Skunk Removal

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Oddlot

Skunk Removal

Post by Oddlot » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:38 pm

Has anyone had any success with a DIY method to remove a skunk (now unfortunately a family) from the premises? I've tried ammonia soaked rags and recovering the access points w/dirt, to no avail. Many commercial concoctions are available (pepper, fox urine), but the on-line reviews are not encouraging.

I'm getting estimates from various animal removal services (not part of our village offering unfortunately). Looks to be $95 to $125 to set each trap and $65 to $85 to remove each animal).

I wasn't inclined to buy (rent?) the cages and trap them myself, but at these prices it makes me think again. Illinois state law apparently requires that the skunks be destroyed.

Any ideas? This is a suburban residence and they are under the front porch. Thanks.

billw

Re: Skunk Removal

Post by billw » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:26 pm

Tractor Supply Store if available in your area has special sales on live traps, something like $25.00 for two traps. I'd buy the traps and remove them myself.

Would also check with County Agent, local State Extension office an see what they suggest.

rfburns

Post by rfburns » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:47 pm

+1 Tractor Supply for live traps. They are online too. I would think you can call your animal control dept. to come dispose of the skunk. Best to check on the proper method first!

SteveB3005

Post by SteveB3005 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:13 pm

What's a guy do with a trapped skunk?

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:14 pm

I had a pair of skunks under my guest house - found where they were getting in and blocked it off at 2am when they were out doing whatever skunks do. The next day I found a dead skunk with a bloody head - Either a bobcat or a hawk I suppose, considering the local varmints (could a racoon kill a skunk?) - the other one left. After that I fixed the hole properly - skunks under the house is not a good idea.

twacapt

Post by twacapt » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:19 pm

Option 1: pay the price to have "critter control" remove the animals.

Option 2: put up with the smell

Option 3: buy and set a wire trip. tape cardboard all around the sides, top and bottom, so the skunks can't see. Put peanut butter as
bait at end of wire cage. kill the critters with a .38 revolver after they are trapped.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:20 pm

My neighbor once had skunks under her house - about 6 or 8 as I recall. She put a bright light bulb down there and left it on all night. Also played rock music. After a few days, the skunks just moved on.

It was kind of fun crawling around down there setting it all up. They were quite docile and neither of us got sprayed. It was a bit scary at first till we figured that part out.

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:59 pm

I'd be careful as many skunks carry rabies.

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:15 pm

I had the same problem two months ago with a skunk under one of my buildings which has a crawl space. Set a live trap with wet cat food and peanut butter at the end of trap, but also put a little bait near the entrance to the trap (give them a little taste). Place the trap in an area so you can see from a distance but also near a corner that you can sneak up close before the skunk can see you. Then shoot the skunk with a small shotgun (410) with number 6 shot. Bury the dead skunk at least two feet deep.

Leave the hole open for at least a week and bait the trap again. When you have caught all the animals, then seal access hole with large rocks or concrete. Do not be surprised if you catch a feral cat or two. My skunks had pulled the floor insulation down to make a nest and made a terrible mess. I read somewhere that skunks do not like moth balls so I put some of them under the building but I am not sure it will help.

Lefty

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:34 pm

If you are thinking of live trapping them and then moving them, better check with your local fish and game folks. Moving wild animals is a no-no here in Vermont and one needs a special license to do so. It has to do with rabies and the spred of disease from an area that has them to an area that may not.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

Oddlot

Post by Oddlot » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:22 am

I appreciate everyone's ideas. I do not plan to acquire any firearms for this purpose, however.

As noted by others, it is also illegal to transport wild animals in our area and with skunks, as others have mentioned, rabies is a possibility.

Bright lights and noises-- interesting. Giving that some thought. Maybe combining that with mothballs, spray, etc. would work. It would be nice to just drive them off to the nearest woods.

BlueEars

Post by BlueEars » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:04 am

Bright lights alone might work. After they leave I'd be very careful to seal the place up so they cannot return. Alternately one could install one or more of those LED lights with motion sensors. Would mean you need some power going to that area assuming it's not wired for it.

BTW, we had skunks a few years ago. The "professionals" sealed up the area where they came in and put in a one way door for their exit. But the skunk died under the house and we had a terrible odor. The door had been installed in a place that was different from the original entrance. Cost a lot to clean that up.

Good luck.

may pop

Post by may pop » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:38 pm

Weve had those visit us a time or 1000. The moth balls kept them out of the bushes in front of our house. Im also in IL. and we too have to pay to have them caught and removed. If its only a few Id give a lot of thought to paying for getting rid of them. Our neighbor used to trap and shoot them but he moved away. ( to damn many skunks) They like to live in the same places like other rodents so be sure you dont have any place for them to live.
Good Luck cause you will need it.
Ron

Polydorus

Post by Polydorus » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:34 pm

hicabob wrote:I had a pair of skunks under my guest house - found where they were getting in and blocked it off at 2am when they were out doing whatever skunks do. The next day I found a dead skunk with a bloody head.
Most likely killed by an owl. They like to dine on skunks. :happy

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:59 pm

Oddlot wrote:Bright lights and noises-- interesting. Giving that some thought. Maybe combining that with mothballs, spray, etc. would work. It would be nice to just drive them off to the nearest woods.
I believe we actually did use moth balls in addition to the light and noise, now that somebody has mentioned it. (Remember the moth balls are hazardous to breath and you would not want any kids to find them.)

Another idea that comes to mind is one of those motion activated sprinklers. I'm thinking of this more as a deterrent if they want to come back.

A light bulb on an electric cord is pretty cheap - it's worth a try. Don't be discouraged if they don't disappear immediately. As I recall, it took a week or so.

flossy21

Post by flossy21 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:59 pm

This is going to sound pretty harsh but really no more harsh than shooting them. Have you considered electrocution? You could easily rig up an extension cord with part of the insulation stripped away across the opening or an area where you know they travel. Plug it in during the time you know they are in transition. If you put a light bulb socket in the circuit you can modulate the amount of juice they get through the wattage of the bulb. When the bulb is lit that means you got one as the circuit will ground through the animal's body.

Oddlot

Post by Oddlot » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:25 pm

may pop wrote:Id give a lot of thought to paying for getting rid of them. Ron
Leaning this way. Just don't have the time to mess with it. Thanks to all for the interesting suggestions.

SteveB3005

Post by SteveB3005 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:55 pm

Another idea is to outfit your family with these.Image

Two possible outcomes here, both good. 1) They all leave on their own from overcrowding. 2) Daddy skunk tries to mate one of you and his family leaves the two-timer, reducing the problem to one skunk.

johnubc

Post by johnubc » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:05 pm

flossy21 wrote:This is going to sound pretty harsh but really no more harsh than shooting them. Have you considered electrocution? You could easily rig up an extension cord with part of the insulation stripped away across the opening or an area where you know they travel. Plug it in during the time you know they are in transition. If you put a light bulb socket in the circuit you can modulate the amount of juice they get through the wattage of the bulb. When the bulb is lit that means you got one as the circuit will ground through the animal's body.
Please do not take this advise, other than being inhumane :( , it is also dangerous if you have any children that frequent your house. I also highly doubt that it would work to any degree of satisfaction.

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:49 pm

The light bulb sounds like a simple and effective method.

I would not want to trap it, what do you do then?

I'm surprised to read that owls like to eat skunks! I have seen dead skunks on the road and crows won't eat them.

Moth balls are not that dangerous to breathe, we were exposed to them as kids in various places. Now that said, you probably should avoid it but when we were kids all closets and dresser drawers had moth balls in them. Actually now I remember they were under beds too, sometimes a couch. We survived but maybe they are different today than in the 50's? If anything I'd think they are safer today than back then.

BTW, I hate skunks.

SSSS

Post by SSSS » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:34 pm

zaplunken wrote:I would not want to trap it, what do you do then?
I accidentally trapped a skunk when I was trying to recover my lost cat. I was worried that releasing the skunk was going to be problematic, but it was actually quite civilized about the whole affair.

bru

Post by bru » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:39 pm

My father trapped a skunk and let it stay in the trap until it died. Probably not the most humane way to go.

We have skunks in the neighborhood but AFAICT they are not under our house. Almost every night we can smell 'em so they are definitely in the area.

Every few months there's a story of how they are overrunning the area. Our city of course does not get involved in removing them.

Polydorus

Post by Polydorus » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:59 am

I tried to trap one that had taken up residence in my attic. No luck with the trap but I eventually got her with D-Con.

Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:44 am

I looked at E pest solution. Com,they have either a fake coyote or fake owl I guess its suppose to scare them away.Could this work :D

Parthenon

Post by Parthenon » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:31 am

SteveB3005 wrote:What's a guy do with a trapped skunk?
My neighbor across the street sets a trap, once captured covers the trap with a blanket, puts the trap in the back of a pickup, then drives to the nearest forest preserve and opens the trap door. He claims to have never been sprayed.

Good Luck!

Ed
"What am I gonna do if I run out of money?"

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:35 am

We have ground squirrels (live in holes) and pack rats in our area. A neighbor bought a live-trap and was relocating them to an undeveloped area about a mile away. One day his wife noticed a string on the trap and asked him what it was for. He confessed that he got tired of relocating them, and started just dunking them in the swimming pool for a few minutes.

I think lights are a good idea, around here people have to either leave their car hoods up at night to keep the critters from chewing wires or nesting, or have a light under the hood on all night.

Here's our resident pest control agent:
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

sdrone

Post by sdrone » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:19 am

I tested quite a few of the "home remedies" and found none of them worked.

Cut off access to the den. You can't do it with dirt or gravel, they can dig through that. You can't just throw junk in there - they can move it or get around it. Flooding it MIGHT work, but you'll have to deal with the smell. I (ok ok my wife) didn't want that.

In my case, they had dug under my front steps; they apparently have more than 1 den, and 1 day they weren't in the den under the steps.

I went to Home Depot and bought a 10 or 20 pound box of concrete mix. Mixed it up (had about a 5 gallon bucket full) and shoved every bit of it into their hole. They never came back.

mainiac

Post by mainiac » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:21 pm

I paid $80 for a critter guy. The city animal control officer does not deal with skunks. I looked at traps, but didn't want to have to kill it or relocate it. I still don't know what the critter guy did with it. Skunks (and squirrels) like peanut butter sandwiches.

Default User BR

Post by Default User BR » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:06 am

mainiac wrote: I still don't know what the critter guy did with it. Skunks (and squirrels) like peanut butter sandwiches.
When I had a raccoon trapped that got into the attic, the removal guy said that they take them to a vet. Young ones are tested for distemper. If clean they are vaccinated and released on the vet's property (large wooded area). Infected juveniles or adults are euthanized.

Brian

SurfCityBill

Post by SurfCityBill » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:53 am

Funny, I thought the topic was about your financial planner.

-B