10 Brands That Will Disappear in 2013

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sheepdog

10 Brands That Will Disappear in 2013

Post by Sheepdog » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:59 am

24/7 Wall Street, via Yahoo Finance, has listed the 10 latest Brands which they believe will discontinue in 2013. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/10-brands ... -2013.html . This list does not include their list for 2012 in which some are still alive, such as Sears, Sony Pictures, Nokia ...

Here are their 2013 top 10 predicted to disappear..
1. American Airlines (I am flabbergasted at that as they had been a mainstay of reliablity in my life. They were my favorite airline, my frequent flyer airline, but they did not keep up.)
2. Talbots
3. Current TV (Al Gore's child)
4. Research in Motion (They owned the smart phones with Blackberry, but....)
5. Pacific Sunwear
6. Suzuki
7. Salon.com
8. Oakland Raiders
9. Metro PCS
10. Avon
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

Johm221122

Re: 10 Brands That Will Disappear in 2013

Post by Johm221122 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:21 am

Raiders may leave Oakland but there trademark black and silver should be very vauble (especially if they could win a little more)

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:30 am

American Airlines ... they certainly did implode - I bet things would be different if they had declared BK like united et al. Used to be my goto airline but they stopped flying where I need to go.
Current TV ... the original format was an interesting concept - perhaps too intellectual for the mass tv audience though?
Suziki - perhaps the Hayabusa has killed all those who bought it? What a monster though.
RIM - failure to innovate - resting on laurels - etc. I'm sure they will be dissected in MBA school for decades to come

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:10 am

Are we talking about brands or about companies?

I've just started playing Scrabble on my new Kindle Fire, and it doesn't seem very important to me that it now says Hasbro instead of Selchow and Richter.

Food brands often last quite a while, with what seems to me genuine brand continuity, even while the companies come and go and get acquired. Durkee's Spices was once a division of Smith-Corona-Marchant. I don't know quite what constitutes a "brand" but I think Durkee's meets the criterion in every way.

Something like Schwinn Bicycles is less clear. I'd say though that the brand has not disappeared, although the company surely has. But does the brand mean the same thing it used to? But does any brand maintain an identifiable set of characteristics for more than a few decades? The Cadillac brand ("marque?") exists, but is it the "same brand" as it was fifty years ago?

I don't know about phony revived brand names like Packard-Bell or Crossley or Pan American Airlines. Those probably shouldn't count.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:00 am

Brands don't disappear, they just get recycled:
The "Circuit City" brand is now owned by Systemax, which uses the brand to sell electronics as an online retailer, CircuitCity.com.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_City_Stores

Since 1998, Westinghouse Licensing Corporation has licensed the famous brand for use on a multitude of products, some (though not all) of which were in similar categories to those sold by the historic version of the company. Though these products advertise the Westinghouse name, they are neither manufactured by the historic Westinghouse company nor are the quality standards necessarily actively maintained by Westinghouse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westinghouse_Licensing

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:14 am

AMR and RIM may go away, but I don't think the American Airlines or Blackberry brands will.

Many people still refer to US Airways as US Air, which was abandoned because market research showed some people thought it sounded like a commuter airline. I think American Airlines will stay along with its iconic aluminum-colored planes with world-wide recognition. Likewise there is still plenty of demand for smartphones with keyboards -- the Blackberry still owns that market especially in business. I've used my Blackberry around the world on multi-week trips for email to replace a laptop. A virtual keyboard on an iPhone doesn't cut it for me when composing multi-paragraph, professional emails. Microsoft would be a possible buyer, and integrating BES into Exchange Server could certainly help tighten up the user experience to compete with Apple's ecosystem.

Bob's not my name

Post by Bob's not my name » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:44 am

stan1 wrote:A virtual keyboard on an iPhone doesn't cut it for me when composing multi-paragraph, professional emails.
im not srue what u men by prfessional emials i use a n ihone for evthing and its work just fin god enuf for bogggelheds anway i heat grammer and sperling nazi s lol

FlyHi

Post by FlyHi » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:11 pm

nisiprius"]Are we talking about brands or about companies?

Something like Schwinn Bicycles is less clear. I'd say though that the brand has not disappeared, although the company surely has. But does the brand mean the same thing it used to?

According to Wikipedia Schwinn was owned by a member of the Schwinn family until 1997, it is now owned by Nautilus Inc the fitness equipment company.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwinn_Bicycle_Company

I recently bought 2 bikes and among the ones recommended to me by the bike store was Schwinn
“If you want to feel rich, just count the things you have that money can't buy”

rendiggy

Post by rendiggy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:25 pm

Always interesting to see brands get rolled up under one of the main packaged good or inustrials.

Reminds me of this map of the major food/household brands I saw.

http://i.imgur.com/cXPyd.jpg

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:31 pm

The clothing retailer Talbots will probably be bought out by a private equity firm which will in turn sell it off as a clothing line to a larger retailer like JC Pennys. So it will become one of those American brands that never die. It's hard to believe they have over 1 billion in revenue and no profit. It's almost as if they are already owned by a private equity firm.

I thought Salon had kicked the cyber-bucket years ago. Was surprised to see it on the list as still existing.

As others have pointed out brands never really die. The names are sold off and lisenced and applied to other products.

I'm still waiting for Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips restaurants to be resurrected. I think there is a great void in American fast food for more fried fish. :D

bertie wooster

Post by bertie wooster » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:02 pm

I find it interesting that they didn't include Yahoo on their list.

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:44 pm

Mrs.Feeley wrote:I'm still waiting for Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips restaurants to be resurrected.
Did Arthur Treacher's go away? There's one not far from Times Square.

GregLee

Post by GregLee » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:59 pm

hicabob wrote:Current TV ... the original format was an interesting concept - perhaps too intellectual for the mass tv audience though?
This is a brand? If I'd known it was supposed to be intellectual, maybe I would have tried more to watch it.
I've been seeing it in my DirecTV guide for several years, but I probably tuned it in less than a dozen times all told. I couldn't figure out what it was there for. I just looked it up in the Wikipedia and found:
The new network would not have political leanings, Gore said, but would serve as an "independent voice" for a target audience of people between 18 and 34 "who want to learn about the world in a voice they recognize and a view they recognize as their own."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_TV
Does that even mean anything? "In a voice they recognize"? Maybe it would have been better to give it an explicit leaning toward progressive (out of work) Democrats.

I did watch Jennifer Granholm's show a couple of times, which was okay, but mostly what I see on their schedule are stale old documentaries. And it's not in high def.
Greg, retired 8/10.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:01 pm

stan1 said:
I think American Airlines will stay along with its iconic aluminum-colored planes with world-wide recognition.
They are gone, the new composite frames are not silver in color!
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:45 pm

TheGreyingDuke wrote:stan1 said:
I think American Airlines will stay along with its iconic aluminum-colored planes with world-wide recognition.
They are gone, the new composite frames are not silver in color!
That's why I said "aluminum-colored" -- not aluminum.
The artists renderings of their composite 787s show that they will be painted to look like aluminum (although probably not too shiny I'd guess).

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:25 pm

FedGuy wrote:
Mrs.Feeley wrote:I'm still waiting for Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips restaurants to be resurrected.
Did Arthur Treacher's go away? There's one not far from Times Square.
Why you're right! Talk about endless retail resurrections, mergers, sales and rebranding:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Treacher's

daytona084

Post by daytona084 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:56 pm

stan1 wrote:A virtual keyboard on an iPhone doesn't cut it for me when composing multi-paragraph, professional emails.
If you prefer a "real" (physical) keyboard, you certainly are not confined to RIM-Blackberry. There are numerous Android phones with this feature. I don't know of anyone with a Blackberry that selected it themselves. The only Blackberries I am aware of are company-issued.

gailcox

Post by gailcox » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:27 pm

I've deleted my post due to my fear of 'big brother'. (my employer is one of the companies in the "10 Brands That Will Disappear i 2013" list.
Last edited by gailcox on Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tuxx

Post by Tuxx » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:49 am

Nokia is on life support. Just hanging on by rumors someone is going to buy them.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:56 am

Tuxx wrote:Nokia is on life support. Just hanging on by rumors someone is going to buy them.
Even after the celebrity endorsement by Siri?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.