TV show recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TomatoTomahto

Re: TV show recommendations?

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:38 am

fillary wrote:Black Mirror, Sherlock, Vikings, 2 broke girls
One of these things is not like the others . . .
http://www.metrolyrics.com/one-of-these ... treet.html
Last edited by TomatoTomahto on Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:15 pm

Season 2 of Preacher just started. Adaptation of the comic where a preacher absorbs the power to command people to do anything, and goes on a trip to find God and demand some answers. Accompanied by his girlfriend and an Irish vampire, chased by the Saint of Killers, a gunfighter sent from Hell to stop him on his quest, this ultra violent, gory and irreverent black comedy is a must for fans of the genre.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:47 pm

Homicide Hunter on ID.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:54 pm

Season 3 of Broadchurch starts this week on BBC America. The first two seasons were really good, and are on Netflix. As with many British shows, subtitles may help.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:12 pm

Jackson12 wrote:
staythecourse wrote:Okay stop everything and check out "The Missing" on Starz. Only two seasons (each 8 episodes) but was amazing.

Also, am finishing up "American Crime" on Netflix which was good. First season was excellent. Didn't realize how good of an actress Felicity Huffman is.

Good luck.
Loved the first season of American Crime. Has anyone seen the third season? Any good?
Watching it now. Seems better then the second, but not as good as the third. Only 4 episodes in so far.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:40 pm

I just finished the sixth season of Call the Midwife.

The Call the Midwife Holiday Special will air in late 2017, and the seventh season will air in the spring of 2018 on PBS stations. I'm not sure when it will come out on DVD, probably some time in 2019. How can I wait this long? I just love this series.
Gordon

sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:46 pm

Ozark, The Night of, Goliath, Better Call Saul, Fargo. And the one all else is measured against........Breaking Bad.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

goldendad

Post by goldendad » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:16 am

West Wing

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:26 pm

gkaplan wrote:I just finished the sixth season of Call the Midwife.

The Call the Midwife Holiday Special will air in late 2017, and the seventh season will air in the spring of 2018 on PBS stations. I'm not sure when it will come out on DVD, probably some time in 2019. How can I wait this long? I just love this series.
Just to add, it's nice that this series, in addition to having subtitles for the episodes, also has subtitles for the special features.
Gordon

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:04 am

Jackson12 wrote:
staythecourse wrote:Okay stop everything and check out "The Missing" on Starz. Only two seasons (each 8 episodes) but was amazing.

Also, am finishing up "American Crime" on Netflix which was good. First season was excellent. Didn't realize how good of an actress Felicity Huffman is.

Good luck.
Loved the first season of American Crime. Has anyone seen the third season? Any good?
I like the first and second seasons on American Crime. The third season seemed preachy and seemed to end abruptly.

NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:28 pm

Most of mine have been listed including Ozark, GOT, Ray Donovan, Bloodline (first season), Stranger Things, True Detective (first season), Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. Also really like the Leftovers and Rectify.

Other older series are Dexter and Six Feet Under. Six Feet Under ran a little too long but has one of the best final episodes I have ever seen. It tied so well into the overall theme of the show.

From network TV, The Office still makes me laugh. "That's what she said!"

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:03 am

Tonight, I finished watching Season Two of Hostages on Netflix.

Hostages is a Hebrew language Israeli series that stars Jonah Lotan, Ayelet Zurer, Tomer Kapon, Micha Celektar, Dar Zuzovsky, Yoav Rotman,
Mickey Leon, Hilla Vidor, Nevo Kimchi, Ido Bartal, Shmil Ben Ari, Liat Stern, Michal Kalman, and Yoav Levi.

Adam Rubin (Jonah Lotan), an accomplished SWAT officer who has abducted the Prime Minister (Shmil Ben Ari) in order to save his wife's life, finds himself in the midst of a hostage situation, but this time it is him surrounded by large police forces, among them some of his best friends. Adam is stuck with the Prime Minister in an abandoned Yeshiva building on the outskirts of Jerusalem. His wife's medical condition is deteriorating, and he has to get out of there to save her life. He has no plan of action, and every moment passing sinks him deeper into quicksand. Even if he manages to extricate them from the trouble they're in, he will discover that the real troubles await him outside. (Series description compiled from a variety of online sources.)

When I watched the first season, it was because I wanted to hear Hebrew spoken, since I have been trying to learn Hebrew, and I really liked the series. I began watching the second season with the same objective; however I became so involved with the series that I just watched and enjoyed the series for what it is, if you can enjoy something as violent as this series is.

A third series is supposed to be in the works, but I don't know how the creators/producers of the series are going to pull that off, given the way Season Two ended
Gordon

barreg

Post by barreg » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:26 pm

I haven't seen Glitch mentioned, currently on Netflix. People in a small Australian town start coming back from the dead, but it's not like Stephen King's "Pet Sematary" as they're not evil when they come back. Good sci-fi and the trailer for season 2 was just released.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glitch_(TV_series)
https://www.netflix.com/title/80108495

Edit: it probably helps to have the context of what other shows people liked when they're making recommendations. Some of my other favorites are:
-The Wire
-GOT (though I wish it were a little less graphic)
-Stranger Things
-Vikings
-True Detective
-Merlin (British series on Netflix)
-Halt and Catch Fire
-True Blood (took a few episodes to get past some bad writing/acting, but got sucked in)
-Bosch (probably helped that I'd read the related books)
-The Night Manager
-The Walking Dead (disclaimer - watched the first few seasons, but stopped watching after a while when it became apparent that the show was stuck in a never-ending loop of misery and there wouldn't ever be a positive outcome for any of the characters. Also, could have been less graphic)

knick17

Post by knick17 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:47 pm

Bates Motel is great.
If you want smn lighter try Grimm

MJW

Post by MJW » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:05 am

I recently finished Season 5 of House of Cards and thought it was mostly terrible.

It really hasn't been very good for a while, but I'm a buy and hold investor.... :)

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:18 am

Tonight I finished watching the second season of Last Chance U on Netflix.

This Netflix original series follows a group of young men on the brink of becoming NFL stars. The players are the most recent recruits at East Mississippi Community College, which boasts three national championship titles over five years. The team is led by intimidating coach Buddy Stephens, whose win-or-else methods have helped players reach the NFL. Once again holding national championship aspirations, the team faced a major hurdle in that only thirty-two of their players were eligible for their opening game with Jones County Junior College due to suspensions related to the previous season's brawl. EMCC lost that game, 27–25, their first season-opening loss since 2010. The Lions would go on to win the rest of their games but were left out of the national championship game when they finished the season ranked No. 3 in the polls. In Season Three, the show switches to a college in Kansas.

This is pretty good. Some of the players are more likeable than others, and some of the coaches are more likeable than others. I have to say that, as a Jew, all the proselytizing got old after awhile.
Gordon

pjohnson

Post by pjohnson » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:59 am

The Office, Friends, Shameless, and Charmed. I've seen every episode of each multiple times and they still haven't gotten old :o

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:03 pm

Currently watching Inspector Lewis. I love those British crime dramas: Foyle's War, etc.
Better plots and characters than US police dramas IMO

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:12 pm

MJW wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:05 am
I recently finished Season 5 of House of Cards and thought it was mostly terrible.

It really hasn't been very good for a while, but I'm a buy and hold investor.... :)

I loved first season and 2nd was good but each season getting worse. I'll keep watching it but it's marginal at this point.

knick17

Post by knick17 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:19 pm

Bates Motel! Great TV show. Prequel of Psycho the movie and very very very addictive.

dvmmph

Post by dvmmph » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:35 pm

Big bang theory

ninaspi

Post by ninaspi » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:30 pm

"Halt and Catch Fire" on AMC and Netflix.

"Halt has told the best, most definitive account of the birth of the computer age, the rise of the internet, and Silicon Valley’s never-ending cycle of creative booms and busts—and it’s done so without losing its grasp on the people in the eye of the storm.

With each shift, the series captures the thrill, and existential horror, that comes from creating something new and then trying to make it profitable.
Halt and Catch Fire succeeds by making its tech narrative not a dry history lesson, but rather a battle of wills between four very flawed, compelling characters, each possessed of the kinds of manic ambition and tendency toward self-destruction that make for the best television drama."

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:52 am

The Vietnam War by Ken Burns. Last night we saw the first episode of this 18-part documentary. It's excellent as is usual for Ken Burns. It's on PBS.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:20 pm

Yep, the Ken Burns Viet Nam war show is awesome; I learned a lot and it kept me glued to my seat.
'best thing on TV in years.
It can be harrowing though. Maybe DVR it like I did so you don't watch it before bed. But it's awesome.
(I never realized the how big of a role the French played in its history.)

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:11 pm

abner kravitz wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:54 pm
Season 3 of Broadchurch starts this week on BBC America. The first two seasons were really good, and are on Netflix. As with many British shows, subtitles may help.
Also Shetland.. and ditto on the subtitles!

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:21 pm

Has anyone watched the 8 episode TV series called "The Sinner" on USA? Jessica Biel stars and produced it.

One new episode left at this point. A bit dark and strange at times, but interesting.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

Maya1234

Post by Maya1234 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:03 am

Grimm: zero interest in monsters/ fantasy. I watch it for the relationships romance. It's out-standing in this. Really
Burn Notice: Little interest in spies/action. Watch it for the relationships/romance. Sigh. Im sure most of you think I'm nuts.

tpetsch

Post by tpetsch » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:19 am

Epicly Later'd

VICELAND Wednesdays @ 2200.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:53 pm

Maya1234 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:03 am
Grimm: zero interest in monsters/ fantasy. I watch it for the relationships romance. It's out-standing in this.
Note that the series ended last season. I'm sure reruns are still in syndication.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:13 pm

Are there no Trekkers here?

The news series Star Trek Discovery aired its pilot last night on CBS. Subsequent episodes will only be available by subscription to CBS All Access.

It's set 10 years before the original era of the Shatner series. None of the original actors, but some of the original characters appear.

The First Officer, a woman, has a first name of Michael pronounced as usual for a man. No explanation, but perhaps its an artifact of her being raised as a Vulcan by Sarek. Hope that's not a spoiler.

Klingons, Vulcans, and others make appearances.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:54 pm

heartwood wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:13 pm
Are there no Trekkers here?

The news series Star Trek Discovery aired its pilot last night on CBS. Subsequent episodes will only be available by subscription to CBS All Access.

It's set 10 years before the original era of the Shatner series. None of the original actors, but some of the original characters appear.

The First Officer, a woman, has a first name of Michael pronounced as usual for a man. No explanation, but perhaps its an artifact of her being raised as a Vulcan by Sarek. Hope that's not a spoiler.

Klingons, Vulcans, and others make appearances.
I saw it too and didn't like it. Funnily the spaceship/computers/displays seemed so much more advanced than in the original series, though it was set ten years earlier. Maybe in the future tech will move backwards.

Koogie

Post by Koogie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:25 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:54 pm
I saw it too and didn't like it. Funnily the spaceship/computers/displays seemed so much more advanced than in the original series, though it was set ten years earlier. Maybe in the future tech will move backwards.
+1

I watched the first two. Cringe worthy writing in spots. The acting quality varied as well. Hopefully it will improve, as series often do.

pondering

Post by pondering » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:40 pm

The second season of This Is Us starts tomorrow
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:44 pm

goldendad wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:16 am
West Wing

I have this in my folder on Netflix to watch.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:56 pm

heartwood wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:13 pm
The news series Star Trek Discovery aired its pilot last night on CBS.
I meant to watch this but somehow thought it was airing next week, and I missed it. The reviews I've read were mostly negative, I was disappointed by "Enterprise" and was surprised that they didn't learn the lesson that prequels don't work, and there's no way I'm spending $6/month to subscribe to CBS All Access to watch this, so...I guess I"ll pass.

Koogie

Post by Koogie » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:25 am

There is a Star Trek spoof show on called "The Orville" Created by and starring Seth Macfarlane (Family Guy). I have watched three shows so far and it isn't terrible. In fact, it is enjoyable in a goofy way (if you like his brand of humor).

If I had to choose based on what I have seen so far, I would take the spoof over the official branded show.

Daisy Dog

Post by Daisy Dog » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:27 pm

The Wire
Deadwood
Sex and the City
Better Call Saul
Breaking Bad (started it but couldn't get DVD at library but "Saul" was available and LOVED it. I'll go back to "Bad.")
Scandal - Shonda Rimes also creator of How to Get away with Murder (haven't seen that)
THE GILMORE GIRLS (have seen it over and over again about 3 generations of old east coast family)
HIT PARADE - (no one will even know what I'm talking about)
I Love Lucy
House of Cards
True Detective first season
VEEP !!! is anyone funnier than Julia Dryfess(sp)? Great writing.
Silcon Valley
anything with Aaron Sorkin involved as in West Wing
The Mentalist
Billions
SNL

Next to watch - Luther and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:40 pm

Sex and the City
Grey's Anatomy
The Big Bang Theory
Aly McBeal
Better Call Saul
Fresh Off The Boat
Family Guy
Scrubs
Westworld 2016

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:48 pm

Koogie wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:25 am
There is a Star Trek spoof show on called "The Orville" Created by and starring Seth Macfarlane (Family Guy). I have watched three shows so far and it isn't terrible. In fact, it is enjoyable in a goofy way (if you like his brand of humor).
I've been watching and agree with this general assessment. However, I give the latest episode 5 out of 5 stars. Episode 7, Majority Rule.
Some people are immune to good advice. - Saul Goodman

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:30 pm

Just finished latest season of Narcos. First 2 were OK but this one was great. Not sure why, but perhaps the diversity of colorful characters and just the unbelievable plot.

Case59

Post by Case59 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:49 pm

For tight, well-scripted TV with iconic characters and lots of car porn, go back to the original Perry Mason shows. Available on FETV or DVD.
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain

Rashen

Post by Rashen » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:10 pm

on amazon prime:
-Bosch
-Hand of God

on Netflix:
-stranger things

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:09 am

The two things that have really impressed me (in totally different ways) recently:

Big Little Lies, on HBO
The Great British Baking Show, on PBS

apex84

Post by apex84 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:29 am

Fauda on Netflix was great. Waiting for the next season. Israeli show with strong character development of both the Israeli and Palestinian adversaries.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:47 am

A few things I have not seen mentioned but may have missed,a few reality shows.Yes I actually enjoy them even though they are heavily edited and all.Survivor is my favorite and always surprises.The Amazing Race and The Voice.My wife likes Project Runway and I have to admit it is kind of interesting because of the personal stories.I really enjoy Master Chef Junior with it’s amazing kids.
For a totally different show try Supernatural which has been on for about 13 years.It is about 2 brothers who are “hunters” that save people and sometimes mankind.Vampires,werewolves,angels,demons,god and all kinds of creatures.Hey,it is not PBS,but pretty good once you get into it.
My 3 all time favorite shows...Mash,Cheers and Seinfeld.
Most of the main dramas on Netflix and Amazon are very good.The Handmaids Tale on Hulu is excellent.
Some Network shows I like are good old NCIS,Blacklist,Blindspot and Designated Survivor.Designated Survivor is trying to be like the West Wing combined with conspiracies.The president is just a bit too goody goody to be believed,but it’s a tv show.Talk about exact opposites of our current reality :D
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

Mulligan22

Post by Mulligan22 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:42 pm

New here. My two cents.

Bitchin Rides
Iron Resurrection
Fantom Works
Wheeler Dealers
Select TCM movies.
Besides investing I'm a car guy too.

Not TV but WAMU FM it's public radio at 7pm Sunday. They stream online as well.
Show is The Big Broadcast.
Johnny Dollar
Gunsmoke
Dragnet.
All good old theater of the mind.

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:14 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:47 am
Designated Survivor is trying to be like the West Wing combined with conspiracies.The president is just a bit too goody goody to be believed,but it’s a tv show.
I loved Designated Survivor last season, when it was an edgy show about the fallout from a massive criminal conspiracy that successfully assassinated the President, Vice President, all but one Cabinet member, the entire Supreme Court, and all but two members of Congress...and that was just the first step of their plan. The premise has changed this season, with the conspiracy arc almost entirely wrapped up just three or four episodes in, and it's now a sad West Wing ripoff with (somewhat) fewer walk-and-talks. I'm probably about an episode away from giving up on it.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:24 pm

Need two separate threads here:

1. What would you sit down and watch on purpose (e.g., with your spouse)?

2. What will entertain you on the treadmill?

I have two completely non-overlapping lists. The latter is a lot easier!

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:29 pm

FedGuy wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:14 pm
hoops777 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:47 am
Designated Survivor is trying to be like the West Wing combined with conspiracies.The president is just a bit too goody goody to be believed,but it’s a tv show.
I loved Designated Survivor last season, when it was an edgy show about the fallout from a massive criminal conspiracy that successfully assassinated the President, Vice President, all but one Cabinet member, the entire Supreme Court, and all but two members of Congress...and that was just the first step of their plan. The premise has changed this season, with the conspiracy arc almost entirely wrapped up just three or four episodes in, and it's now a sad West Wing ripoff with (somewhat) fewer walk-and-talks. I'm probably about an episode away from giving up on it.
I agree with your assessment.It was really good until it changed.They could have probably gone 3 or 4 seasons just trying to really solve the assassinations and things related but they chose the current path which is not promising.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

MJW

Post by MJW » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:28 am

Koogie wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:25 am

If I had to choose based on what I have seen so far, I would take the spoof over the official branded show.
Some of the visuals are so similar to the TNG/DS9 era I'm surprised they are allowed to get away with it.

The show seems to try to strike a strange balance between being satire while also touching on some heavy/poignant subject matter. It's mostly silly but yet not completely on the level of a parody. We're four episodes in so far.