TV show recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Blues

Re: TV show recommendations?

Post by Blues »

A great show available on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video is the British series "Prime Suspect" with Helen Mirren.

As a retired fed myself, I'd have to say that this was one of the best police dramas I've ever had the pleasure of viewing. Right up there with the best, such as "The Wire".

(The final season (the seventh) was not on Netflix but was available free for Amazon Prime members.)
RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford »

Interesting round-table discussion with creators of "Mad Men", "Breaking Bad", and "Deadwood":

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/movies- ... avid-milch
Statch

Post by Statch »

We are late getting into all these great drama series...just started really watching that kind of TV this year. So we have lots of catching up to do. So far top of the list is The Walking Dead. We're retired and have never liked violent films so I don't even know why we watched the first episode, but then were hooked. I love the complexity and ambiguity of the moral dilemmas. We're now starting the 3d season of Homeland. To me so many of the details are completely unlikely but it's a really gripping story with great twists and turns. If it were a book I'd throw it against the wall every so often but would have to pick it back up to see what happens.

Others we've really been enjoying:

Foyle's War (great subdued police drama set during WWII)
True Blood (never thought I'd get my husband to watch vampires! We both loved the first three seasons but starting to lose interest after that. Great theme song.)
Breaking Bad (again, didn't think I'd like it but it's fantastic)
Lilyhammer (absolutely loved the first season, not so much the 2d)
House of Cards

What we're having trouble with is figuring out what's coming up when. We'll hear about a good show, watch past seasons on Netflix or Amazon, then find out the current season started while we were doing that, and now we have to pay if we don't want to wait for months. (Hello, 4th season of Walking Dead...and looks like we'll end up waiting for Foyle's War's latest.) How do you all keep up with what's new that's interesting, and what's starting when and on what network? Any good websites for that?
RustyShackleford

I'm pretty fascinated by the first 3 episodes of "The Leftovers" (HBO's newest drama), particularly the 3rd. I don't quite buy the comparisons to "Lost"; there are superficial similarities in the premise, I suppose, but we watched the first episode of each the other night and decided to forego any further "Lost".
Last edited by RustyShackleford on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockies1978

Post by Rockies1978 »

In my humble opinion, the four best tv shows on air right now are:

1) True Detective (by a wide margin, though I sometimes wonder if they'll be able to recapture the magic of the first season w/out McConaughey and Harrelson).
2) Game of Thrones - I've read all of the books and it's not exactly fantastic writing, but you have to respect it for the intricacy of the plotting alone. The show does a commendable job with the adaptation. And I'd argue the script for the show is better than the writing in the books, probably because they have to keep it tighter.
3) Orange is the New Black - I appreciate those who say there are gratuitious moments. It seems as if Netflix is doing its utmost to say "Hey, we can show/do anything over here!" That aside, it's still an extremely unique show with a compelling story.\
4) Sherlock - the BBC version

I haven't watched any sitcoms since How I Met Your Mother closed out its run. That show lagged a little in the final couple of seasons but there were a few episodes toward the end that were amazing, and taken as a whole that was an incredibly innovative show, and about as thought provoking as a sit-com can be.

The only show I'm interested in that I haven't caught yet is The Leftovers. It has a really intriguing premise.

I tend to loathe reality TV, but if one sucked me in it might be that upcoming Utopia.
pondering

Post by pondering »

The 3 shows I try to catch:

1) Modern Family
2) CBS Sunday Morning
3) 60 Minutes
--Robert Sterbal | robert@sterbal.com | 412-977-3526
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

No one has mentioned Better Call Saul which just finished its first season. It's about Saul Goodman and Mike Ehrmantraut before they arrived on Breaking Bad. The show runners are Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould of BB so it has all the creative genius that made BB so good.

While the show stands on its own there are many connections to the earlier series (which takes place later chronologically, of course). Some are quite obvious like Saul and Mike. Others are much more subtle and will test the abilities of even the most dedicated BB trivia nuts.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Available on Netflix, or a combination of Netflix for past seasons and cable for current:
Broadchurch
Bloodline
Rectify
Top of the Lake
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

We were skeptical because the movie was so awful, but the Netflix Original series "Daredevil" is fantastic. A warning, it is extremely violent and graphic, but very well done. Our other current favorite show is "Vikings" on the History Channel; that show actually inspired my wife to choose our (soon-to-be-born) son's name. I had no part in it, she picked the name.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

The Americans on FX.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
jrtexas

Re: What is your favorite TV show?

Post by jrtexas »

Zeppcoustic wrote:The Wire
From a retired big city cop, The Wire is the only realistic Cop show ever on TV. Hill Street Blues was close
jrtexas

Post by jrtexas »

Blues wrote:A great show available on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video is the British series "Prime Suspect" with Helen Mirren.

As a retired fed myself, I'd have to say that this was one of the best police dramas I've ever had the pleasure of viewing. Right up there with the best, such as "The Wire".

(The final season (the seventh) was not on Netflix but was available free for Amazon Prime members.)
Netflix says prime suspect is unavailable for streaming. Check out Wallander.
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

abuss368 wrote:The Americans on FX.
I second this recommendation. Incredible show. Hugely underrated.
Blues

Post by Blues »

From a retired big city cop, The Wire is the only realistic Cop show ever on TV. Hill Street Blues was close
jrtexas wrote:
Blues wrote:A great show available on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video is the British series "Prime Suspect" with Helen Mirren.

Netflix says prime suspect is unavailable for streaming. Check out Wallander.
I've read all the Wallander books but have not watched either of the (I believe) two versions of the series on TV.

"The Wire" was absolutely the best speaking from personal experience working in NYC and South FL though I will always have a soft spot for Hill St. Blues and NYPD Blue (all the obvious issues aside). In my opinion, Mirren's "Prime Suspect" was the best police drama aside from "The Wire" I have ever seen.

(As some others have commented, "Broadchurch" and "The Americans" are worth a watch but in a different league altogether.)
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

This is our watch list:

The Middle
Castle
Amazing Race

Everything else right now is series based.

These are my "best of" category:

1. The Walking Dead
2. Breaking Bad
3. House Of Cards

Better Call Saul is getting very good. A spin off from Breaking Bad.

I enjoyed the PBS Sherlock Holmes.
jrmillions

Post by jrmillions »

The Americans on Fx. Love the Cold War era spy story
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I am thinking about watching The West Wing on Netflix. Anyone recommend?
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

I bingewatched the first two seasons and part of a third and quickly tired of what I can only describe as excessive Sorkin-ism. But I will say this for the West Wing: if you can survive the Sorkin-ism and enjoy it, you will LOVE it, because it has many really great elements.

And if you can't, you'll probably enjoy it right up until the point where you say "Good Grief ENOUGH!" and pull the plug.

So while I may not sound like I'm giving it the world's most enthusiastic recommendation, I heartily think it's a show worth checking out and there's not much downside to watching it, only upside.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

On other series-related topics, I just watched season one of "Turn," the AMC Revolutionary War spy drama, and it was pretty meh. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't that terrific either and I think it suffered from trying to incorporate too many actual historical figures (Robert Rogers, Capt Simcoe, Capt Tallmadge, John Andre, etc etc). They seemed to miss the mark so badly on so many of the actual historic figures that it distracted me and I would have preferred the show in most cases just make up cipher characters who were obviously inspired by real historical figures but who also were obviously fictional.

I'm giving a look right now at Bosch (I've read every Michael Connelly novel, and the Pilot was okay but I'm not hooked) and also Orphan Black, which looks promising, but I'm also not enthralled. En route from the library is the British miniseries for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, which I'm legitimately excited about.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I haven't read through all the posts but thought I'd recommend "The Fall" on Netflix in case no one has yet mentioned it. It stars Gillian Anderson, of X-Files fame, and that guy who was just in the "Fifty Shades of Gray" movie (Jamie Dornan, I think is his name). It's a "police chase serial killer" show set in Belfast, Northern Ireland. There are two existing seasons, and a third season is planned. It's really well done.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

oneleaf wrote:
Has the series been renewed for a third season? The second season finale is next Wednesday.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

MoonOrb wrote:On other series-related topics, I just watched season one of "Turn," the AMC Revolutionary War spy drama, and it was pretty meh. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't that terrific either and I think it suffered from trying to incorporate too many actual historical figures (Robert Rogers, Capt Simcoe, Capt Tallmadge, John Andre, etc etc). They seemed to miss the mark so badly on so many of the actual historic figures that it distracted me and I would have preferred the show in most cases just make up cipher characters who were obviously inspired by real historical figures but who also were obviously fictional.

I'm giving a look right now at Bosch (I've read every Michael Connelly novel, and the Pilot was okay but I'm not hooked) and also Orphan Black, which looks promising, but I'm also not enthralled. En route from the library is the British miniseries for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, which I'm legitimately excited about.
We have "Turn" in our Netflix list but have not yet watched it.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Rupert wrote:I haven't read through all the posts but thought I'd recommend "The Fall" on Netflix in case no one has yet mentioned it. It stars Gillian Anderson, of X-Files fame, and that guy who was just in the "Fifty Shades of Gray" movie (Jamie Dornan, I think is his name). It's a "police chase serial killer" show set in Belfast, Northern Ireland. There are two existing seasons, and a third season is planned. It's really well done.
I will have to look for "The Fall". Thank you.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Rupert wrote:I haven't read through all the posts but thought I'd recommend "The Fall" on Netflix in case no one has yet mentioned it. It stars Gillian Anderson, of X-Files fame, and that guy who was just in the "Fifty Shades of Gray" movie (Jamie Dornan, I think is his name). It's a "police chase serial killer" show set in Belfast, Northern Ireland. There are two existing seasons, and a third season is planned. It's really well done.
I liked The Fall, but I do have to say that (spoiler alert) the Jamie Dornan character is really creepy.
Gordon
Statch

Post by Statch »

The Walking Dead
The Americans
Better Call Saul
Breaking Bad
Heartland
Justified (series just ended this week)
Orphan Black
Outlander
Broadchurch
Happy Valley
Longmire
Sherlock
Bloodline
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

abuss368 wrote:
oneleaf wrote:
Has the series been renewed for a third season? The second season finale is next Wednesday.
You mean 4th? Current season is 3rd. But yea, it has been renewed for a 4th. I am several eps behind on season 3 at the moment.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Just binge watched Daredevil on Netflix. Great addition to the Marvel lineup.
Mike
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

In the past:

renata

Post by renata »

Call the Midwife
(BBC series) Netflix
RustyShackleford

'Rectify' is extremely good. The plot sounds kind of melodramatic - guy gets off death row after 19 years - but the show is absolutely unique, with great writing and acting (especially the lead, who is mesmerizing). It is done by Ray McKinnon, the character actor probably best known as the preacher in the 1st season of Deadwood. He's also done a few movies, which I love too but not for everyone: Chrystal (very very dark), Randy and the Mob (not that great, except he plays identical twin brothers, one gay and one a good-old-boy, and the latter has the best put-down of soccer ever), and The Accountant (which won Academy Award for best short film a few years back).
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

The Americans finished the latest season tonight. Excellent program!
supertreat

Post by supertreat »

I would heartily recommend The Americans on FX. Great multi-layered plots w/ plenty of action. I put it right up there with breaking bad.
Assets - Liabilities = Equity + (Income - Expenses)
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Finished "House of Cards" on Netflix. Is another season going to be released?
tj

Post by tj »

Arrow
The Flash
Agents of SHIELD
mbk734

Post by mbk734 »

I like comedies:
Seinfeld
Strangers with Candy
Da Ali G Show
Chappelle Show
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

abuss368 wrote:Finished "House of Cards" on Netflix. Is another season going to be released?
yes
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
avenger

Post by avenger »

The Good Wife.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, BND, VTEB, SV fund]
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

supertreat wrote:I would heartily recommend The Americans on FX. Great multi-layered plots w/ plenty of action. I put it right up there with breaking bad.
It might have been up there with Breaking Bad, except that a recent artificial plot twist, near the end of this season, jumped the shark for me. It will offer interesting plot possibilities, and grounds for moral examination, but in real life, nah, would never happen.

I can't seem to make this SPOILER thing work on my iPad, but let's try:

SPOILER: The "coming out" to Paige.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

watching 3rd season of Bored to Death - funniest thing on television
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
vv19

Post by vv19 »

Watching The Wire again these days.

Unarguably the greatest TV series ever to be produced. Top class stuff.
vv19

Post by vv19 »

abuss368 wrote:I am thinking about watching The West Wing on Netflix. Anyone recommend?
You'd love it if you liked House of Cards.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

jay22 wrote:
abuss368 wrote:I am thinking about watching The West Wing on Netflix. Anyone recommend?
Love House of Cards, hated West Wing. I'm too slow to follow the dialogue on West Wing. Maybe I should have tried subtitles.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Here is another vote for Vikings.

Just finished season 3, quite a twist. Can't wait for S4 (maybe the last?).

It's similar to Game of Thrones in terms of political intrigue and violence without the sex part.

My other favorites are PBS' BBC Masterpiece Mysteries.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

bengal22 wrote:
abuss368 wrote:Finished "House of Cards" on Netflix. Is another season going to be released?
yes
Hmmm. Wife and I lost interest like maybe six episodes into the new season. Just not nearly as compelling as the two previous. Feels like all I have these days is my precious precious game of thrones.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

jay22 wrote:Watching The Wire again these days.

Unarguably the greatest TV series ever to be produced. Top class stuff.
Most def.

One thing about The Wire actors compared to other TV shows is there few 'beautiful models' in The Wire. Only Dominic West and Idris Elba that I can think of.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

jay22 wrote:
Thanks! I am looking forward to the series.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

Are any of the episodes of Better Call Saul available on Netflix or Amazon?
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Barefootgirl wrote:Are any of the episodes of Better Call Saul available on Netflix or Amazon?
as far as I know, not yet, but I have no doubt that they will be. I saved them on my DVR for my son when he's home from school.
greenfire

Post by greenfire »

On amazon prime: transparent
On netflix: house of cards, orange is the new black.
On showtime: Ray Donovan, Homeland
On HBO: (some old) the sopranos, true blood, six feet under,
Also nip/tuck, breaking bad, mad men.

And for comedy: Impractical Jokers and Whose Line is this Anyway?
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

We have been watching Madam Secretary.