TV show recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MJW

Re: TV show recommendations?

Post by MJW »

Last night I wrapped up Season One of "The Man in the High Castle" on Amazon Prime. Prior to the last episode I wasn't sure if I would continue with the series (the show's protagonists are cringe-worthy at times), but then that ending....

Spouse and I have steadily been making our way through "The West Wing" on Netflix and are about to begin the seventh and final season. Neither of us had watched the show when it originally aired. It's been fun.
woof755

Post by woof755 »

Netflix's Mindhunter is very good. Well written and acted, and it is taking its time. The interviews with serial killers are extremely well done. Based on a true story of FBI serial killer researchers.

Better Call Saul
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Narcos !!!!!!!!!
The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
Denver5280

Post by Denver5280 »

Stranger Things
RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford »

I just did a trial account at Hulu, in order to watch "The Handmaid's Tale". It is excellent, and as timely as today's headlines (as the saying goes). The lead actress, Elisabeth Moss, who was good in "West Wing" and great in "Madmen", is astonishing in this; I've never seen an actor do as good a job acting with facial expressions alone.

But browsing around Hulu, I rediscovered an old show that I watched on ABC 20years ago: "Murder One". It is one of, if not the, first show to use an entire season to tell a story. Way before it's time. And holds up amazingly well, though the music is way overdone, an ailment that plagues many otherwise decent shows to this day. The show is from the Bochco/Milch braintrust most noted for "NYPD Blue". It concerns the high-profile murder trial of a young actor for raping and murdering a 15yo girl. The acting and writing are very good.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

As good as Elizabeth Moss is with her facial expressions,Winona Ryder is equally bad with hers in Stranger Things.Just horrible,but the show is excellent outside of her.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
pondering

Post by pondering »

You can watch Warren Buffett on my favorite TV show, CBS Sunday Morning:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lessons-fr ... -hathaway/
--Robert Sterbal | robert@sterbal.com | 412-977-3526
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I've always watched Cash Cab. The last episode was 2012.

It's back tonight, December 4, for a new season. Ben Bailey is back, but they're introducing guest celebrities. Why mess with a good show?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/ ... 841677001/
mxs

Post by mxs »

Another vote for "The Man in the High Castle" an Amazon show. In short, a hypothetical show of if the Allies lost WW2 and the US was split east of the Rockies controlled by the Nazis, West of the Rockies controlled by Japan, and a neutral zone in the Rockies with some remaining resistance. There is some more things going on of course, as is revealed watching the show. Very good, I highly recommend. I am looking forward to reading the book which was written in the 60's I believe.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Just finished watching Wanted on Netflix.I guess it was the number 1 watched drama in Australia.Two seasons,6 episodes each.Pretty good.
However,I feel very guilty making this post.On another thread,one of the premier bogleheads said that tv is passive,addictive and unsatisfying.Since then I have struggled to pick up my remote :D
AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ »

Finished another re-watch of Person of Interest; my favorite show in years. The last episode is tough to take. Also finished re-watching Justified seasons 1 and 2 and now to watch the last 4 seasons that I have not yet seen. Don't have Netflix or Amazon Prime or HBO and I don't really have a contemporary show that excites me.

Hoops777 - I think you forgot to put in a smilie.
p14175

Post by p14175 »

American Ninja Warriors -- those people are amazing!
MJW

Post by MJW »

Solo viewing:
-- Just wrapped up Season 1 of Bosch. Will watch Season 2.
-- Going to start Season 5 of the Americans.

With Spouse:
-- Watching Season 7 of The West Wing.
-- Almost through Season 2 of Stranger Things. (No one can believe that we've spaced out our viewing vs. binge-watching)
-- Arrested Development - not sure where we are but serves as good filler when we don't want to commit to an hour-long show and are tired enough from the work day that we just want to laugh at dumb stuff.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

mxs wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:38 am Another vote for "The Man in the High Castle" an Amazon show. In short, a hypothetical show of if the Allies lost WW2 and the US was split east of the Rockies controlled by the Nazis, West of the Rockies controlled by Japan, and a neutral zone in the Rockies with some remaining resistance. There is some more things going on of course, as is revealed watching the show. Very good, I highly recommend. I am looking forward to reading the book which was written in the 60's I believe.
I had no idea what this was about, now that I know WW2 is involved it's going on ASAP! Thanks
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

MJW wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:05 pm Solo viewing:
-- Just wrapped up Season 1 of Bosch. Will watch Season 2.
-- Going to start Season 5 of the Americans.

With Spouse:
-- Watching Season 7 of The West Wing.
-- Almost through Season 2 of Stranger Things. (No one can believe that we've spaced out our viewing vs. binge-watching)
-- Arrested Development - not sure where we are but serves as good filler when we don't want to commit to an hour-long show and are tired enough from the work day that we just want to laugh at dumb stuff.
I love Arrested Development.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

A couple of new shows.The Good Doctor about a young autistic resident who is being guided by one of my favorite old West Wing actors,Richard Schiff.Gifted which is about mutants.Very good if you like the X-Men type stuff.
Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit »

Vikings (History channel)! Great show.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

I know this is gonna get a big laugh and raise some eyebrows:

I still watch Gunsmoke and The Lone Ranger.

Ok, go ahead and laugh!!

Have a great day BH’ers.

Don
BrianMc

Post by BrianMc »

I just finished the first season of “Mindhunter” on Netflix. It details the beginnings of the FBI’s Behavioral Science Unit (think “Silence of the Lambs” and “Criminal Minds”). No doubt in my mind this series will last several seasons. Fantastic show that you’ll likely binge watch.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

We just picked up Starz on a special. My wife seems to like outlander. I watched a little and lost interest. I did watch Girlfriend Experience. Definitely not for the kids! :D Really an odd but strangely intriguing show, even getting past the explicit content.
gips

Post by gips »

we've been watching a lot of good Scandinavian noir:
wallander
trapped
occupied
nobel

also, have liked:
hostages
fauda
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (BBC America / Netflix)

TV Series is loosely based around new stories surrounding the title character from the Douglas Adams books.
It's a quirky kind of sci-fi, not a comedy but not not-funny ... There are similarities to the Dr.Who series, if you're a fan of Dr.Who you'll probably enjoy Dirk Gently.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Drovor

Post by Drovor »

Friday Night Lights
Sons of Anarchy
Bones
Prison Break
Sleepy Hollow
Lost

Current shows:
The Walking Dead
Lethal Weapon
The Good Doctor
The Good Place
Scorpion
Timeline
Big Bang Theory - not caught up with the show but have watched several episodes when we see it on.
mancich

Post by mancich »

Curb Your Enthusiasm. Seasons 1-8 are free on Prime. Very funny show, but not appropriate when the kids are around.
Bharat

Post by Bharat »

Santa Clarita Diet, a dark comedy. Hilarious, accessible, a tad gruesome, so avoid watching with kids.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5580540
Everything that you own, owns piece of you.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Broadchurch on Netflix. Three seasons of a "Who done it?" British series about finding a murderer in a small coastal tourist town.

We are in the middle of Season 1, and glued to the set.
qwertyjazz

Post by qwertyjazz »

Just read the first page - somethings did not age well from 2012
Game of Thrones - way before the last season
Charlie Rose - before we found out the kind of person he was

At least this thread did not start in the 1980’s
I would probably have said how much I loved the Cosby Show and I Spy was always fun
G.E. Box "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

REELZ - Autopsy: The Last Hours Of...

Great show.

Fascinating.
BH_RedRan

Post by BH_RedRan »

Norsemen, Netflix Very funny. Vikings with personal angst and modern problems.
Unforgotten, PBS A Masterpiece detective series, Nicola Walker is great, as usual
Last Tango In Halifax, Netflix Nicola Walker again...
Bosch
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul (Better than breaking bad in my opinion).
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Some UK comedies:

Still Game is a Scottish sitcom: I think this one is on Netflix. Quite entertaining. Two widowed retirees.

Marley's Ghosts: A lady can see ghosts of various people close to her that passed away (don't want to say too much). It falls into the "ok" category. I give it extra points for starring Sarah Alexander.

The Worst Week of my Life: Ben Miller and Sarah Alexander. This almost falls into the slapstick type of comedy where almost anything that can go wrong to Ben Miller (he was in the early seasons of Death in Paradise), does go wrong. I found it very funny.

Gavin and Stacey (might have posted this before) but James Corden is a costar in it and was co-creator/write with Ruth Jones (also a costar). Very well done. The co-stars are more entertaining than Galvin and Stacey.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Trying on Apple TV
Very funny
MariaT

Post by MariaT »

I have been doing a marathon on “ Endeavour”(Prime Video), a British detective series about Inspector Morse during his younger years. Enjoy the series and I am now on Season 6. I love Fred Thursday’s character as well.

I understand “ Endeavour” is a prequel to “Inspector Morse” series which I will add to my watch list.
woof755

Post by woof755 »

A(nother?) vote for Succession on HBO.

Riveting drama comprised of a cast of characters, all written to be completely odious and performed to perfection. I hate every single one of the characters, but they all have a redeeming quality. Season 3 starts soon and I can't wait.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

BH_RedRan wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:44 pm Norsemen, Netflix Very funny. Vikings with personal angst and modern problems.
Unforgotten, PBS A Masterpiece detective series, Nicola Walker is great, as usual
Bosch
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul (Better than breaking bad in my opinion).
I just finished Bosch Season 7. Thrilled to learn the character story will continue on, with a new career. Already filming!
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

MariaT wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:15 pm I have been doing a marathon on “ Endeavour”(Prime Video), a British detective series about Inspector Morse during his younger years. Enjoy the series and I am now on Season 6. I love Fred Thursday’s character as well.

I understand “ Endeavour” is a prequel to “Inspector Morse” series which I will add to my watch list.
Having been huge fans of "Morse", we were at first disappointed in "Endeavour", but we gave it a bit more of a try and really got into it.

Yes, Roger Allam (Fred Thursday) is just terrific.

Another casting note: Dorothea Frazil, the journalist, is in real life Abigail Shaw... the daughter of John Thaw, the actor who played Inspector Morse.
That was a nice touch. :happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
sbq2012

Post by sbq2012 »

Mr Inbetween - it is an Australian crime-drama on FX. I'm watching it via Hulu
rterickson

Post by rterickson »

BH_RedRan wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:44 pm Unforgotten, PBS A Masterpiece detective series, Nicola Walker is great, as usual
A few more excellent shows featuring Ms. Walker:

River (BritBox/Prime Video); MI-5/Spooks (BritBox) and Touching Evil (IMDb TV).
magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter »

Lupin on Netflix. 10 episodes so far.

Filmed by Netflix in French but it is dubbed in English - or you can watch in French with English subtitles.

Gentleman thief trying to avenge his father’s arrest on the theft of his employer’s multimillion Euro necklace. Show begins with an amazing present day heist of the same necklace from the Louvre.
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

magazinewriter wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:07 pm Lupin on Netflix. 10 episodes so far.

Filmed by Netflix in French but it is dubbed in English - or you can watch in French with English subtitles.

Gentleman thief trying to avenge his father’s arrest on the theft of his employer’s multimillion Euro necklace. Show begins with an amazing present day heist of the same necklace from the Louvre.
We watched the first season. I thought it was OK but with not really a lot of ideas. The lead actor was very competent I thought but the writing is just so leaden that think neither one of us wants to watch a second season.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

What’s My Line (1950 to 1967, but the early years were best) — a panel game show with John Daly, Bennett Cerf, Dorothy Kilgallen, Arlene Francis, Fred Allen, Steve Allen, and others. Those were different times!

You Bet Your Life (1950-1960) a quiz show hosted by the inimitable Groucho Marx, king of the ad-libbed one-liner!

I used to watch them on The Game Show Network when I still had cable. I think they’re on YouTube now, at least some of them.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

McCartney 3-2-1 on Hulu.
Detailed Insights into into various Beatles songs (and some others) by Paul and an interviewer with nice pieces of Paul demonstrating things impromptu.
6 short (roughly 30-minute) episodes.
Really nice and engrossing. A real gem.
A must-see if you are a fan.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

rgs92 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:28 pm McCartney 3-2-1 on Hulu.
Detailed Insights into into various Beatles songs (and some others) by Paul and an interviewer with nice pieces of Paul demonstrating things impromptu.
6 short (roughly 30-minute) episodes.
Really nice and engrossing. A real gem.
A must-see if you are a fan.
Paul might have been my least favorite Beatle (more a George fan) but this show is great. Only two episodes in and already I know that I’m going to rewatch it.

I agree that it’s a must see!
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

pezblanco wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:04 pm
magazinewriter wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:07 pm Lupin on Netflix. 10 episodes so far.

We watched the first season. I thought it was OK but with not really a lot of ideas. The lead actor was very competent I thought but the writing is just so leaden that think neither one of us wants to watch a second season.
My wife thought the first season was "fun", but IMO it was terribly cheesy and predictable. Neither of us were interested in the 2nd season.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

stoptothink wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:12 am

My wife thought the first season was "fun", but IMO it was terribly cheesy and predictable. Neither of us were interested in the 2nd season.
Was hopeful for the second season but oh boy was it bad. Had to bail part way through the 2nd episode.
max12377

Re: What is your favorite TV show?

Post by max12377 »

S&L1940 wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:52 pm Twilight Zone and Barney Miller and Mash
aside for movies and an occasional tennis match or basketball playoff, the wife owns the remote...
+1 on Twilight Zone :happy
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

abner kravitz wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:51 am
stoptothink wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:12 am

Was hopeful for the second season but oh boy was it bad. Had to bail part way through the 2nd episode.
We couldn't even make it all the way through the first episode.
I'm forgetting now what we read that had us really eager to see this, but no....

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I'm not usually a musical fan, but Schmigadoon on Apple TV+ has been entertaining.

Also, Ted Lasso Season 2 starts tomorrow on Apple TV+. The first season was really good.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

On Netflix:

1. The Last Kingdom Set in the time of Alfred the Great, storylines around conflicts between the Saxons and the Danes and between the kingdoms which would eventually become England. https://www.netflix.com/title/80074249

2. Shtisel Hebrew with English sub-titles. Contemporary drama around life in the ultra-Orthodox community in Jerusalem. Surprisingly engaging. https://www.netflix.com/title/81004164

3. Hashoter Hatov Hebrew with English sub-titles. Police comedy set in Israel. 1/2 hour episodes. Very funny. https://www.netflix.com/title/80240277
mancich

Post by mancich »

Re-watching "Curb Your Enthusiasm" on HBO Max. Never fails to make me chuckle. I love Larry David :D
freckles01

Post by freckles01 »

GmanJeff wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:23 pm On Netflix:

1. The Last Kingdom Set in the time of Alfred the Great, storylines around conflicts between the Saxons and the Danes and between the kingdoms which would eventually become England. https://www.netflix.com/title/80074249

2. Shtisel Hebrew with English sub-titles. Contemporary drama around life in the ultra-Orthodox community in Jerusalem. Surprisingly engaging. https://www.netflix.com/title/81004164

3. Hashoter Hatov Hebrew with English sub-titles. Police comedy set in Israel. 1/2 hour episodes. Very funny. https://www.netflix.com/title/80240277
If you like Shtisel, try Unorthodox- Shira Haas acts in both series and is a terrific actress

Crash Landing on You- 2019 Korean drama, after hearing about it so much I finally watched it

Racket Boys- Also a Korean drama, wholesome funny

Vincenzo- another Korean drama, kinda violent and funny

Forget K POP, Korean dramas are addicting!

Ted Lasso- watched first season sooo good!

High on the Hog

Any food series on Netflix :D
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

freckles01 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:22 pm
GmanJeff wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:23 pm On Netflix:

If you like Shtisel, try Unorthodox- Shira Haas acts in both series and is a terrific actress

Crash Landing on You- 2019 Korean drama, after hearing about it so much I finally watched it

Racket Boys- Also a Korean drama, wholesome funny

Vincenzo- another Korean drama, kinda violent and funny

Forget K POP, Korean dramas are addicting!

Ted Lasso- watched first season sooo good!

High on the Hog

Any food series on Netflix :D
Thanks for the lead(s); will definitely check out Unorthodox and the Korean series, too!