TV show recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
stoptothink

Re: TV show recommendations?

Post by stoptothink »

wassabi wrote:I've been really enjoying Vikings. It can be a little violent, so not for the faint of heart.
It is my wife's favorite show. She named our son after the show. We just finished Goliath (Amazon Prime) and it was very good.
wassabi

Post by wassabi »

stoptothink wrote:
wassabi wrote:I've been really enjoying Vikings. It can be a little violent, so not for the faint of heart.
It is my wife's favorite show. She named our son after the show. We just finished Goliath (Amazon Prime) and it was very good.

I'll add Goliath to my list!
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

staythecourse wrote:Right now I'm binging on "Friday Night Lights".

Would second "Bloodlines".

Good luck.

I've watched the first two seasons of Bloodlines and enjoyed it, but it's very dark and depressing.

(Edited once to correct syntax.)
Last edited by gkaplan on Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon
Koogie

Post by Koogie »

I've been really enjoying The Expanse. Based on the series of SciFi novels by the authors James SA Corey. The second season just finished wednesday night. Mostly realistic scifi and just enough money is being invested to make it look good.

Also The Last Kingdom, on Netflix. Kind of a Game of Thrones light (without the female flesh or gore). The second season is quite good and the writing is catching up to the acting. Lot of money spent on it as well and it is also based on a series of novels (by Bernard Cornwell).
market timer

Post by market timer »

Currently on Netflix:

Rick & Morty
Peep Show
Black Mirror
Better Call Saul
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Another batch of Adventure Time is running, starting today and several days in a row next week.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

If you like comic book shows. Legion was terrific. Only 8 episodes about the son of professor X, one-off the most powerful mutants in the world. For many years he was locked in a mental ward as everyone thinks he is schizophrenic, but a new patient with powers of her own results in his realization that he has multiple powers of his own.
PortAlice

Post by PortAlice »

Catching up on season 3 of Halt and Catch Fire (Netflix) and season 2 of Fortitude (Amazon Prime). Fortitude has gone a little off-the-rails violent, so be warned. :shock:
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Fargo, season 3.

A 90 minute episode starts very slowly with perhaps a dozen story threads, all in what maybe a shared universe. So slow in the beginning I considered not finishing the episode. By the end I was hooked.

As often much wry dialog or outlandishness. The Coens are listed as executive producers, but it's Noah Hawley who's listed in most of the credits.
Thrifty1

Post by Thrifty1 »

Bates Motel is ending its run this Monday. I am so sad. The acting has been terrific, the atmosphere moody and foreboding.
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

gkaplan wrote:

Good luck.

I've watched the first two seasons of Bloodlines and enjoyed it, but it's very and dark depressing.
I now use the line regularly in conversations, "We are not bad people we just did a bad thing".

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Binge watching Fortitude on Amazon prime. A small mining town above the arctic circle struggles to transform into a tourist destination, but this small town might not survive the transition. The discovery of prehistoric remains threatens to unleash a species that preys on man, the apex predator. The towns secrets unfold as murder comes to town for the first time. Was the geologist eaten by a polar bear an accident or murder? Was the sherif's obsession with the beautiful Spaniard related, or could the governor's plans for the glacier hotel threatened by the discovery of treasure beneath the ice? Could the chubby chasers involvement with his girlfriend and a student be related to the gruesome murders? How does sudden cannibalism in the local wildlife relate to this? A DCI from London to help with the investigation, but is the antagonism and obstruction from the sheriff due to insecurity or guilt?
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

staythecourse wrote:
gkaplan wrote:

Good luck.

I've watched the first two seasons of Bloodlines and enjoyed it, but it's very and dark depressing.
I now use the line regularly in conversations, "We are not bad people we just did a bad thing".

Good luck.
We've had so many people recommend this show. We've tried watching it multiple times (at least 3) and just can not get into it. I think my wife watched like the first 4 episodes (I did not last that long) and just gave up. When does something actually happen?
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

stoptothink wrote:
staythecourse wrote:
gkaplan wrote:

Good luck.

Good luck.
We've had so many people recommend this show. We've tried watching it multiple times (at least 3) and just can not get into it. I think my wife watched like the first 4 episodes (I did not last that long) and just gave up. When does something actually happen?
It just might not be your cup of tea. My opinion, if after 4-5 episodes you can't get into a show best to move on. As mentioned on here there are just so many darn good shows to try out.

Of course, the best show I ever saw, the Wire, I hated until episode 6 or 7 and then was addicted for the rest of the show's run. Best show ever!

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
TerryDMillerMBA

Post by TerryDMillerMBA »

Bosch, season 2

Binge-watch for best results.
sesq

Post by sesq »

I had read that Bloodlines was not renewed for a 4th season. So when the third is out, that is it. I really enjoyed the first two.

I have gotten spoiled and prefer the binge watch option so I have The Americans, Saul and Fargo building up on my Tivo. Some shows I can't resist and watch "current" - GoT, Walking Dead, Doctor Who, etc.
davebo

Post by davebo »

TerryDMillerMBA wrote:Bosch, season 2

Does Bosch start getting better? I saw the great reviews, but just could not get into season 1...only lasted a couple episodes.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

davebo wrote:
TerryDMillerMBA wrote:Bosch, season 2

Does Bosch start getting better? I saw the great reviews, but just could not get into season 1...only lasted a couple episodes.
It's slow, and brooding, and moderately well acted and directed. It serves a purpose when other shows are on hiatus, but . . .
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Bylo Selhi wrote:After a two year hiatus a new episode of Sherlock aired in the UK a couple of days ago. Starring Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock and Martin Freeman as Watson. The Guardian's review sums it up nicely. Sherlock’s back and it's fast, fun, flashy, fantastic
Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat built 90 minutes of the fastest, funniest, flashiest, cleverest, most demanding, ridiculous and brilliant drama there is likely to be until … well, possibly until the next Sherlock comes along, sometime in 2017 we are told.
A real treat. I have no idea when it will air in North America. (I couldn't wait ;))
It's a great show. But I wasn't all that impressed with the last three episodes. The acting is still great, but the writing/story-line seems to have suffered greatly.

Perhaps the writers are struggling now they've totally let go of the Arthur Conan Doyle books.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

F A R G O

As mentioned before, best show on TV for the last few years.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

mickeyd wrote:F A R G O

As mentioned before, best show on TV for the last few years.
While there might be competition for "best," it sure is up there.
straws46

Post by straws46 »

Foyle's War, The Wire, and Breaking Bad. For oldies, it's amazing how well Perry Mason stands up to the passing of time.
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

Bosch Season 3 came out last week. Blew through it in 3 days. Now have to wait another year for Season 4. It's definitely a slow burn, all 3 seasons so far, but I really like it. Lots of dialogue (or lack thereof at times), less action. I'm also reading a lot of the Michael Connelly books, so fully immersed in the universe.

Finished Girls, which is now done. Also finished The Good Fight Season 1. Currently watching Better Call Saul Season 3, Fargo Season 3.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Last night, I finished watching the first season of Z: The Beginning of Everything on Amazon Prime Video.

Z: The Beginning of Everything tells the story of Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald, the brilliant, beautiful Southern Belle who became the original flapper and icon of the wild, flamboyant Jazz Age. Based on the book by Therese Anne Fowler.

Christina Ricci was especially good. I'm looking forward to a second series.
Gordon
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I finished Season Three of Shetland last night. I've pretty much have been binge-watching this series. It's that good.

The show stars Douglas Henshall, Alison O'Donnell, Steve Robertson, Mark Bonnar, Julie Graham, Stewart Porter, Erin Armstrong, and Anne Kidd. The series is based in the novels of Ann Cleeves, who writes the Vera Stanhope series, which is the basis for the Vera series. As good as that series is, I think Shetland is quite a bit better. It's suspenseful and atmospheric, with lots of plot twists. Season Four started filming in March of 2017. Netflix, which has the first three series, probably will stream it in April of 2018.
Gordon
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Brockmire on IFC. http://www.ifc.com/shows/brockmire

Not for the politically correct or those sensitive to language, but it's so funny. Hank Azaria and Amanda Peet are, respectively, a washed up baseball announcer and the owner of a rust belt minor league team. Tyrel Jackson Williams is strong as the team intern. I'm not a BB fan, but its a great show.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

Drama: Leftovers
Comedy: Master of None
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
aquifer

Post by aquifer »

Bosch
Longmire (not sure if there will be any more seasons, unfortunately)
Goliath
Elementary on CBS

I've been watching Death in Paradise on Netflix recently. I'm not real sure why I like it, but I do. Likeable characters, kind of a Murder She Wrote feel with the big reveal at the end in front of all the suspects.
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

Brockmire - IFC
Fargo - FX
The Americans - FX
Better Call Saul - AMC
The Son - AMC
Billions - Showtime
Chicago Justice - NBC - a Law and Order redux
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

I keep wondering why I'm not enjoying Fargo as much as I expected to and I guess it's because I loved the movie so much that my expectations were very high, too high it seems.

It seems darker, not as tightly written with characters not as developed...of course Billy Bob is always Billy Bob, it's the others I am referring to.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Barefootgirl wrote:I keep wondering why I'm not enjoying Fargo as much as I expected to and I guess it's because I loved the movie so much that my expectations were very high, too high it seems.

It seems darker, not as tightly written with characters not as developed...of course Billy Bob is always Billy Bob, it's the others I am referring to.
IME, it's worth giving it some more time. The pacing of a TV series is different than a film, and perhaps that's what bothers you. I assume that you're watching without commercials (i.e., skipping ahead on a DVR).
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I finished watching the eight-episode third season of Rake on Netflix last night.

Rake is an Australian series that stars Richard Roxburgh as rake Cleaver Greene, a brilliant but self-destructive Sydney barrister defending a usually guilty client. It also features a great supporting cast: Russell Dykstra, Danielle Cormack, Adrienne Pickering, Matt Day, Caroline Brazier, Keegan Joyce, and Kate Box.

It had been almost three years since I watched the second season, so it took several episodes before I got into Season Three. It's a great series, well worth watching. There's some uncertainty as to whether there will be a fourth season. I certainly hope so.
Gordon
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

gkaplan wrote:Rake is an Australian series that stars Richard Roxburgh...
This is also one of my favorite TV shows. It's sort of like a legal version of House, although decidedly wackier.
There's some uncertainty as to whether there will be a fourth season. I certainly hope so.
Actually there was a 4th season that aired a year ago in Oz. I don't know if/when it's available in the US. IMO season 4 wasn't quite as good as the first 2 or 3 seasons, perhaps because the writers were starting to run out of fresh ideas. At the end of that season there were rumors of a 5th season but I can't find anything recent, one way or the other.

P.S. to anyone who's looking for Rake, don't confuse with the US clone that aired in 2014 starring Greg Kinnear. It's not worth wasting your time on.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Bylo Selhi wrote:
gkaplan wrote:Rake is an Australian series that stars Richard Roxburgh...
This is also one of my favorite TV shows. It's sort of like a legal version of House, although decidedly wackier.
There's some uncertainty as to whether there will be a fourth season. I certainly hope so.
Actually there was a 4th season that aired a year ago in Oz. I don't know if/when it's available in the US. IMO season 4 wasn't quite as good as the first 2 or 3 seasons, perhaps because the writers were starting to run out of fresh ideas. At the end of that season there were rumors of a 5th season but I can't find anything recent, one way or the other.

P.S. to anyone who's looking for Rake, don't confuse with the US clone that aired in 2014 starring Greg Kinnear. It's not worth wasting your time on.
Bylo, thanks for the update and comments.
Gordon
spitty

Post by spitty »

Curb Your Enthusiasm---a new season just wrapped filming and will show probably in the fall.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

The other night I finished watching the third season of Bosch on Amazon Prime Video. This is the series based on the Harry Bosch crime novels of Michael Connelly.

I thought Season Three was the best of the three seasons. I did notice the season did not wrap with the solution to the Koreatown Killer (KTK), though, so I'm assuming that this will be taken up in Season Four, assuming there is a Season Four.

Another thing I noticed was that the series referenced Bosch's combat duty as being in Afghanistan. The novels have him in Vietnam, not Afghanistan. I assume the producers did that because Titus Welliver doesn't look hold enough to be a Vietnam combatant, nor is he actually old enough to have served in Vietnam. Wikipedia says he's fifty six, so he would have been in his teens when the United States military left Vietnam. (Also I suppose Afghanistan is more topical now than Vietnam.)
Gordon
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Just finished American Crime Story: The People vs. OJ Simpson.

It was excellent!

Other shows since I've posted in this thread before:

The Expanse, Westworld, Game of Thrones (I can't explain why I like it but I do), Fargo, Bosch,The Night Manager, Stranger Things.

We really liked Person of Interest, too, which was kind of a pleasant surprise as we tend not to like network crime procedurals.

General list of excellent television: The Wire, The Sopranos, Band of Brothers, Deadwood, Justified, Foyle's War, The Americans, The Shield, Breaking Bad, The Simpsons, Friday Nigjt Lights, Mad Men, True Detective, Star Trek TOS, The Twilight Zone, Alias, Rome.

Enjoyed but not at the top of the list: Sherlock, The Crown, Boardwalk Empire, The Pacific, Turn, Orphan Black.

Tried and could not get into: The Newsroom, Orange is the New Black, House of Cards (later seasons), Leverage.

Intending to watch: Oz, Big Little Lies, Spiral, MI-5, Life, Battlestar Galactica, The Bridge, Narcos.

If the Ken Burns documentaries count as a show, all of them are excellent.
Koogie

Post by Koogie »

gkaplan wrote:I finished Season Three of Shetland last night. I've pretty much have been binge-watching this series. It's that good.

The show stars Douglas Henshall, Alison O'Donnell, Steve Robertson, Mark Bonnar, Julie Graham, Stewart Porter, Erin Armstrong, and Anne Kidd. The series is based in the novels of Ann Cleeves, who writes the Vera Stanhope series, which is the basis for the Vera series. As good as that series is, I think Shetland is quite a bit better. It's suspenseful and atmospheric, with lots of plot twists. Season Four started filming in March of 2017. Netflix, which has the first three series, probably will stream it in April of 2018.
+1 We were just in the UK on holiday and due to DW health, I had some downtime so watched the first two seasons straight through. Very atmospheric as you say and this is probably the role of a lifetime for Henshall. The cinematography is great and it had a lot of high quality "guest" actors (Ciarin Hinds, Brian Cox..)

I have not read the books but have put a hold on the first one at our library.
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

Just finished a Netflix original called "The Keepers" a documentary that confirms what The Wire told us about Baltimore. Very well done. Warning emotionally rough
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Syfy just dropped all 10 episodes of 12 monkeys over the weekend. Great time travel/ apocalypse show loosely based on the movie.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Last night, on Netflix, I finished watching the tenth and final episode of the third and final season of Bloodline. I thought that Sissy Spacek, Kyle Chandler, and Linda Cardellini, in particular, stood out throughout the series.

In my opinion, overall, Season Three was the best of the three seasons. It was much better than Season Two, which I didn't like and which almost made me think that I wouldn't continue on to Season Three. I say that overall Season Three was the best of the three seasons, because I also thought that the tenth and final episode of the third and final season totally lost me. I couldn't figure what was going on.
Gordon
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Season 5 of House of Cards just recently added to Netflix.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
mancich

Post by mancich »

fsrph wrote:Season 5 of House of Cards just recently added to Netflix.

Francis
+1. Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright are ruthless as the President and First Lady. A very well-done show.
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

Started watching Happy Valley, on Netflix.

No, nothing to do with Penn State. This is a BBC production, set somewhere (I believe) in the British Midlands. Very well executed thriller/police procedural. Has a tone similar to The Killing or Prime Suspect (protagonist is a female police sergeant), but with a semi-rural working class setting.

Also reminds me of early Coen brothers, in that the criminals are incompetent but still manage to inflict substantial harm.

Have been watching it with subtitles on. Not strictly necessary for my American ears, but this way I get to pick up more of the regional slang that would otherwise have been unintelligible. Ever heard of a "numpty"? Me neither.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Last night, on Netflix, I finished watching Season Five of Orange is the New Black.

I think Season Five has been the best of the five seasons, at least the best since Season One. As has been the case throughout the run of this series, the season ended on a depressing note and with many unanswered questions that will need to be resolved in Season Six.
Gordon
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I've been watching Call the Midwife, the first two seasons.
Gordon
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

Okay stop everything and check out "The Missing" on Starz. Only two seasons (each 8 episodes) but was amazing.

Also, am finishing up "American Crime" on Netflix which was good. First season was excellent. Didn't realize how good of an actress Felicity Huffman is.

Good luck.
infotrader

Post by infotrader »

Fargo
Better Call Saul (this spin off is even better than the original: "Breaking Bad")
Breaking Bad
House of Cards
GOT
Dark Matter
Continuum (Netflix)
Fringe
Midsomer Murders (I watched it after "Forye's War)
Shetland (murders plus scenery on a Scottish archipelago)
Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 »

staythecourse wrote:Okay stop everything and check out "The Missing" on Starz. Only two seasons (each 8 episodes) but was amazing.

Also, am finishing up "American Crime" on Netflix which was good. First season was excellent. Didn't realize how good of an actress Felicity Huffman is.

Good luck.
Loved the first season of American Crime. Has anyone seen the third season? Any good?
Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 »

House Blend wrote:Started watching Happy Valley, on Netflix.

No, nothing to do with Penn State. This is a BBC production, set somewhere (I believe) in the British Midlands. Very well executed thriller/police procedural. Has a tone similar to The Killing or Prime Suspect (protagonist is a female police sergeant), but with a semi-rural working class setting.

Also reminds me of early Coen brothers, in that the criminals are incompetent but still manage to inflict substantial harm.

Have been watching it with subtitles on. Not strictly necessary for my American ears, but this way I get to pick up more of the regional slang that would otherwise have been unintelligible. Ever heard of a "numpty"? Me neither.
There's slated to be a 3rd season and then no more. I love this series. Subtitles definitely helpful.