TV show recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Cyrix_Sr

Re: TV show recommendations?

Post by Cyrix_Sr »

All on Netflix streaming:

Secret Garden
It's Okay, That's Love
City Hunter
God's Gift - 14 Days

Currently working on the amazing Gu Family Book!!
William4u

Post by William4u »

greenfire wrote:On amazon prime: transparent
On netflix: house of cards, orange is the new black.
On showtime: Ray Donovan, Homeland
On HBO: (some old) the sopranos, true blood, six feet under,
Also nip/tuck, breaking bad, mad men.

And for comedy: Impractical Jokers and Whose Line is this Anyway?
1. Transparent.
2. Olive Kitteridge.

The DW and I have also just started watching Amazon Prime's Transparent. The first two episodes are very good, and we are looking forward to seeing more.

And if you haven't seen HBO's Olive Kitteridge, it is one of the best shows we have seen in a while. It is only a 4 episode series, but it is so good. Very high quality writing, directing, and acting.
Jim Profit

Post by Jim Profit »

I've really been enjoying a new show this summer called "Mr. Robot" airing on the USA Network. Best way to describe it is a combination of the movies "Fight Club" and "The Matrix" with a sprinkling of "American Psycho" thrown in. Basically a psychological thriller involving hacking, social media, and the impact of all this technology on people's lives. The series was renewed for a second season before the pilot episode even aired so it will be around for awhile.

I work in Information Technology and the series has made serious waves in the industry due to the most accurate on-screen depictions of hacking and computer security I (or anyone else) have ever seen. You don't have to understand the hacking details to enjoy the show however. The series is available via Comcast OnDemand; I think it is available on Hulu and Amazon as well, but not Netflix as of yet.
Last edited by Jim Profit on Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DDMP20

Post by DDMP20 »

We cancelled our cable subscription about five years ago. Most of today's TV shows are mind numbingly idiotic.

We will watch some old shows online though.

Stuff like :

Newhart
Magnum PI
Family Ties
Wings
Love Boat
Dukes of Hazard
Sanford and Son
Good Times
"An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens." -Thomas Jefferson
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Catastrophe- Amazon Prime
The wire - Amazon Prime
Downton Abbey - Amazon Prime
Breaking Bad - Netflix
You better Call Saul - AMC
Mad Men -
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I have to laugh--talk about mind numbingly idiotic shows, then list Dukes of Hazzard as one to watch.
(Wonder when they will go through all the episodes frame by frame to remove the flag on top of the Gen Lee?)
Mike
Have been watching Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell, and Humans. Finished up the second season of Penny Dreadful, still can't decide if I like it that well, but it is interesting. Rectify is a fascinating character study.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Rita (Danish series on Netflix)
Gordon
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

House of Cards on Netflix among many good shows.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Netflix is getting very good with the options available.

At $7.99 a month, that is very Boglehead!
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Right now I fear that fear the walking dead may be a bust. Similar to season two of true detective. What a let down it's been.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

My favorite is House M.D., and I have yet to find anything that can match it. For me it was a combination of science, philosophy, humor, drama, suspense, sentiment, and more.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

The Honourable Woman (BBC)

It's a mix of Syriana and State of Play. Highly recommend. Stephen Rea plays my favorite spook ever, he belongs in a le Carre book.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

triceratop wrote:The Honourable Woman (BBC)

It's a mix of Syriana and State of Play. Highly recommend. Stephen Rea plays my favorite spook ever, he belongs in a le Carre book.
I agree; first-rate acting throughout (my crush on Maggie Gyllenhaal reinforced by her acting).
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Yesterday I watched the fifth and last season of Covert Affairs. At first, I was upset that USA canceled the series after the fifth season because of low ratings. After watching the fifth season, however, I can see why USA canceled the series. Season Five was not nearly as good as the first four seasons, which I had really liked, which is probably why the ratings were what they were. The plots had become wildly improbable, and the dialogue embarrassingly clichéd. The writers must have run out of ideas.
Gordon
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Fargo. Season 2. Episode 4 airs tonight.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/12/arts/ ... television
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Before revisiting this thread, I would have said that I watched too much TV.

However I don't even recognize the names of many of the shows mentioned, and haven't watched many of the shows whose names I do recognize.

So I am now officially old and out of touch :( .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
poker27

Post by poker27 »

I never thought I could get into TV shows. Then maybe 9 months ago I watched House of Cards, wow.

Walking Dead, its very entertaining, but I'm not crazy about this season.
Sons of Anarchy, it started to drag at the end for me, and there were so many ? marks that it got to me, but still entertaining.
Breaking Bad, I just started and am on the 2nd season, I'm sure I will like it.
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

If you liked the show Farscape, you may want to check out the sci-fi show Dark Matter, which has a similar feel (but without the variety of life forms).
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
tj

Post by tj »

Dulocracy wrote:If you liked the show Farscape, you may want to check out the sci-fi show Dark Matter, which has a similar feel (but without the variety of life forms).
I liked the first season. It got weird after that. Which is odd because most shows struggle the first season...
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

tj wrote:
Dulocracy wrote:If you liked the show Farscape, you may want to check out the sci-fi show Dark Matter, which has a similar feel (but without the variety of life forms).
I liked the first season. It got weird after that. Which is odd because most shows struggle the first season...
Then check out Dark Matter on Netflix. You will likely enjoy it.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

poker27 wrote:I never thought I could get into TV shows. Then maybe 9 months ago I watched House of Cards, wow.
Yes, TV has come a long way since HBO pioneered with The Sopranos and Band of Brothers. What was considered revolutionary back then is now par for the course, especially on cable channels. But even the legacy networks have upped their game in recent years.

There's still lots of manure in the 500 channel TV universe but thankfully nowadays there are also a few good horses buried in there.
sesq

Post by sesq »

jginseattle wrote:Fargo. Season 2. Episode 4 airs tonight.

I heard an FX exec on the radio last night complaining that he feels he has the best show (Fargo) and no audience. He was suggesting we are in a TV bubble and there is just "too much" tv out there. The funny thing to me was that because there is so much quality out there I am happily letting all the Fargo episodes pile up on my DVR as Netflix has taught me I don't like waiting a week between episodes. Meanwhile I am watching Justified (another FX show) on amazon.

Its a classic tragedy of the commons if the good shows don't make it to broadcast due to a lack of ratings due to a lack of urgency. Social media is one counter-move as I stay current on the Walking Dead to avoid spoilers.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

tj wrote:
Although, to be fair, Farscape got pretty weird at times too.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
tj

Post by tj »

JupiterJones wrote:
tj wrote:
I was referring to Farscape.
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

tj wrote:
JupiterJones wrote:
tj wrote:
I was referring to Farscape.
Ok, so, if you liked the first season of Farscape, you would like Dark Matter. Geez. Oh, and I liked Harvey more than I should have, but there is no equivalent in Dark Matter.
ShenziNation

Post by ShenziNation »

Mrs. Brown's Boys
Citizen Khan
Indian Summers
Wheeler Dealers
The Wonder of Britain
The IT Crowd
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

F A R G O is the best series on TV this year. Last year also.

" I'll have a chocolate glaze please... He's payin for it"
Last edited by mickeyd on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

The new season of Adventure Time has begun, so I recommend that.

Earl
Blues

Post by Blues »

mickeyd wrote:

F A R G O is the best series on TV this year. Last year also.

" I'll have a chocolate glaze... He's payin for it"
Can't disagree. (That was a great line, by the way. :beer ) We're also enjoying the current season of Homeland as well.
deadlymonkey

Post by deadlymonkey »

Game of Thrones - HBO
The Last Ship - TNT
Castle - NBC?
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Documentary Now! A very funny show that parodies well known documentaries. Starring Bill Hader and Fred Armisen.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

We think Homeland gets better every season.

Would like to start watching Fargo but "On Demand" doesn't have the first few episodes.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Blood & Oil
DanDav

Post by DanDav »

My wife and I have been watching Blindspot and Madam Secretary (even our 16 year old daughter joins us for this one!)
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

The Expanse on Syfy. The pilot was absolutely phenomenal. The most promising scifi I have seen in awhile. Pilot is released on streaming and officially in the air later this month.
avenger

Post by avenger »

oneleaf wrote:The Expanse on Syfy. The pilot was absolutely phenomenal. The most promising scifi I have seen in awhile. Pilot is released on streaming and officially in the air later this month.
I saw the pilot yesterday. I admit it is pretty good. We'll see how it turns out.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, BND, VTEB, SV fund]
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Jessica Jones
River

I really enjoyed these two shows. Both new on Netflix
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Bustoff wrote:We think Homeland gets better every season.

Would like to start watching Fargo but "On Demand" doesn't have the first few episodes.
Check On Demand again about the availability of Fargo. I believe that just last night I saw that Episode one of the new season is now available.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I've finished seasons 1 & 2 of House of Cards on Netflix. I'll start season 3 tonight. I'm enjoying them all. I just wish I was better at keeping some of the minor characters straight.

I may go back and watch The Wire. I really enjoyed each season, focused on a different perspective of the Baltimore drug and political scene. The Wire was a reason I switched to close captioning years ago. It gave me a chance of understanding the street dialog. I just couldn't follow it without seeing the words on screen. Now I've become so dependent upon it.

I continue to generally enjoy The Good Wife, though its not the series that it was several years ago. I particularly like Eli Gold.

Fargo (season 2) is good, but the 90 minute format of each episode is a little too long.

I continue to watch the original Law & Order series. How could they have cancelled it and kept the spin-offs? I've also tried the Dick Wolf series set in Chicago: Chicago Fire, Chicago PD. The latest is Chicago Med, which includes Epatha Mertherson as a hospital administrator.

My other go-to reruns are Two & a Half Men, but only the Charlie Sheen episodes. Jon Cryer is great, as is Angus Jones in the middle episodes.
rixer

Post by rixer »

We like..
Expedition Unknown
Gold Rush
The Last Man on Earth
blueblock

Post by blueblock »

I watched Episode One of The Expanse yesterday, too. Great special EFX. It's available free here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvZeQD1Vf2s

Over the 4-day Thanksgiving Weekend, we binge-watched Season Five of The Good Wife via Amazon Prime. It was terrific. Many hold-your-breath, palms-sweating dramatic situations. (We'd already seen Seasons 1-4.)
DDMP20

Post by DDMP20 »

Do they ever broadcast Twin Peaks on any stations today? I know you can get it on DVD.

It was a great show.
"An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens." -Thomas Jefferson
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

The Last Kingdom on BBCA, season 1 just finished in 8 episodes with gore and language. I read the first 3 books of the Saxon series by Bernard Cornwell. Picture quality wise, it is not up to HBO GOT series but some might find it had too much emphasis on sex and nudity.

The pacing of The Last Kingdom is better/faster but some might even prefer 10 episodes to cover Book 1 and 2. This season covered the early period of Alfred the Great.

For comparison, I preferred the Vikings' story line, though totally fiction. Do not like the Bastard Executioner at all; it's just pure gore.
rterickson

Post by rterickson »

DDMP20 wrote:Do they ever broadcast Twin Peaks on any stations today? I know you can get it on DVD.

It was a great show.
It was still available on Netflix streaming as of last Sunday. Really looking forward to the Showtime sequel (now scheduled for 2017).
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Found this on Wikopedia Re Twin Peaks
On January 12, 2015, Kyle MacLachlan was confirmed as returning to the series.[14] Other returning cast members reported to return are Sheryl Lee (Laura Palmer),[102] Richard Beymer (Benjamin Horne),[103] Dana Ashbrook (Bobby Briggs),[104] Mädchen Amick (Shelly Johnson),[105] Everett McGill (Ed Hurley),[105] and Wendy Robie (Nadine Hurley).[105] Sherilyn Fenn (Audrey Horne) has been offered to reprise her role.[106]

In October 2015, it was confirmed that Michael Ontkean, who portrays Sheriff Harry S. Truman, would not return for the revival because Ontkean is retired from acting. It is reported that Robert Forster will either take over the role or be playing a new sheriff.[107] In November 2015, it was reported that Miguel Ferrer would reprise his role as Albert Rosenfield, and that Richard Beymer and David Patrick Kelly would reprise their roles as Benjamin Horne and Jerry Horne, respectively.[108] In addition, actors interested in returning or have had conversations with Lynch about returning include, Harry Goaz (Andy Brennan), Kimmy Robertson (Lucy Moran), Joan Chen (Josie Packard), Michael Horse (Tommy "Hawk" Hill), Ian Buchanan (Dick Tremayne), Kenneth Welsh (Windom Earle), Ray Wise (Leland Palmer), Chris Mulkey (Hank Jennings), Peggy Lipton (Norma Jennings), Piper Laurie (Catherine Martell), and Brenda Strong (Thomas Eckhardt's assistant, Miss Jones).[105][109][110]

Russ Tamblyn (Dr. Lawrence Jacoby) underwent open heart surgery in late 2014 and was still recovering as of 2015. Lynch and Frost were still hoping Tamblyn would join the cast for the new season.[111] On September 28, 2015, Catherine E. Coulson, who was planned to reprise her role of the Log Lady in the new series,[112] died of cancer.[113]

Amanda Seyfried, Balthazar Getty, Robert Knepper, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Bailey Chase have been cast in recurring roles, all playing new characters.[114][115][116][117][118] It was reported that Peter Sarsgaard had been cast,[119] however, he later revealed that "I'm not doing Twin Peaks" and it "was a rumor that was not founded on nothing."[120]
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I'm about half way through the sixth season of The Good Wife. I'm watching it on a DVD I borrowed from my library. If I didn't have a final coming up next week, I'd be binge-watching this. It's that good. I think it says lot about this series, or any series, that in its sixth season, it hasn't lost its edge.
Gordon
Blues

Post by Blues »

gkaplan wrote:I'm about half way through the sixth season of The Good Wife. I'm watching it on a DVD I borrowed from my library. If I didn't have a final coming up next week, I'd be binge-watching this. It's that good. I think it says lot about this series, or any series, that in its sixth season, it hasn't lost its edge.
We'll have to agree to disagree about that. My wife and I stopped watching it earlier this season because it finally just went beyond ridiculous (in our humble opinions). Frankly, the last couple of seasons were already heading downhill to our way of thinking so it didn't come as a shock.
Beezthree

Post by Beezthree »

The Man in the High Castle - Amazon Prime

based on the Philip K. Dick book, speculative historical fiction about post WWII America if Japan and Germany had won the war. love it so far.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Beezthree wrote:The Man in the High Castle - Amazon Prime

based on the Philip K. Dick book, speculative historical fiction about post WWII America if Japan and Germany had won the war. love it so far.
You have considerable impulse control if you haven't binge-watched the whole series already. Good show, with above average acting.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Way back in July, bengal22 mentioned Catastrophe on Amazon Prime. We finally watched (er, devoured) the show. We are not usually romcom fans, but this is a show with chemistry, intelligence, and cojones. Written by the two lead actors, after the last episode my wife, for whom the series started slowly (don't make a decision until at least an episode or two), just wanted another season, now!

ETA: if you're really conservative, the show might offend you in some places.