TV show recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gkaplan

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby gkaplan » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:40 pm

I pretty much binge-watched the thirteen-episode initial season of Bloodline on Netflix. This Netflix original drama is dark but quite good.
Gordon

yolli71

Postby yolli71 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:24 am

Just finished watching Making A Murderer on Netflix. It's a 10 episode documentary...riveting!

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:32 am

We are watching "Orange is the New Black" and also "Prison Break" on Netflix and are enjoying both.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

bru

Postby bru » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:12 am

DDMP20 wrote:We cancelled our cable subscription about five years ago. Most of today's TV shows are mind numbingly idiotic.

Critics, reviewers and frankly anyone with a cursory knowledge of television says this is the best era for television ever. Just read this thread. In addition to all the excellent suggestions many have said exactly this, there is (almost) too much quality television available now to watch it all.

Living in the past when it comes to television is fine but don't assume your opinions about today's content are valid for everyone else.

rterickson

Postby rterickson » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:11 pm

abuss368 wrote:We are watching "Orange is the New Black" and also "Prison Break" on Netflix and are enjoying both.

If you like OITNB, I would recommend checking out the Australian women's prison drama "Wentworth". Netflix just released Season 3.

SpringMan

Postby SpringMan » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:28 pm

Most recently enjoyed BBC series Survivors and Top of the Lake on Netflix. Justified on Amazon was good. Same actor that played Seth Bullock in Deadwood (Tim Olyphant).
Best Wishes, SpringMan

Nicolas

Postby Nicolas » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:32 pm

I've really enjoyed Detectorists from the BBC. It's a slow-paced comedy mainly about two loser metal detectorists that can be alternately hilarious and touching. I've been a detectorist myself so it's especially appealing to me. There are two seasons, the first of which may now be streamed in the states via Netflix. It won a BAFTA in the 2015 British Academy Television Awards for best situation comedy. Hopefully there will be a third season but still awaiting a decision. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detectorists
Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro. -- Aesop

MNGopher

Postby MNGopher » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:51 pm

I might be biased being from Minnesota, but I think Fargo is the best show since Breaking Bad. Ya, you bet, for suure.

Blues

Postby Blues » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:02 pm

MNGopher wrote:I might be biased being from Minnesota, but I think Fargo is the best show since Breaking Bad. Ya, you bet, for suure.

What's that then? :)

I agree. The missus and I are really bummed that the new season just ended.

Long live the "Butcher Of Luverne"! :sharebeer
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

jrtexas

Postby jrtexas » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:33 pm

Me Robot. Stream the whole season on the USA App on Apple Tv

scubadiver

Postby scubadiver » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:35 pm

Some current, some not so current:

Battlestar Galactica
Breaking Bad
Bloodlines
Burn Notice (ok, last season or two was a chore, but liked it overall)
Dexter
Firefly (only one season, but it was outstanding)
House of Cards
Lost
Stargate SG1
Sons of Anarchy (currently watching and loving every minute of it)
Supernatural
The Walking Dead

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:07 pm

rterickson wrote:
abuss368 wrote:We are watching "Orange is the New Black" and also "Prison Break" on Netflix and are enjoying both.

If you like OITNB, I would recommend checking out the Australian women's prison drama "Wentworth". Netflix just released Season 3.

Hi rterickson,

Thank you for the suggestion. I will look for the series on Netflix.

Best.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Mingus

Postby Mingus » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:17 pm

bru wrote:
DDMP20 wrote:We cancelled our cable subscription about five years ago. Most of today's TV shows are mind numbingly idiotic.

Critics, reviewers and frankly anyone with a cursory knowledge of television says this is the best era for television ever. Just read this thread. In addition to all the excellent suggestions many have said exactly this, there is (almost) too much quality television available now to watch it all.

I agree with this. There seems to be an abundance of really good television shows being produced now. Thank god the reality tv show craze has died out. Those were clearly the dark days.

Compound

Postby Compound » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:55 am

I watched the first episode of "The Worricker Trilogy" on Amazon prime last night. Within the first ten minutes I knew I was hooked; I'm looking forward to watching the next two shows.

Bylo Selhi

Postby Bylo Selhi » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:02 am

After a two year hiatus a new episode of Sherlock aired in the UK a couple of days ago. Starring Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock and Martin Freeman as Watson. The Guardian's review sums it up nicely. Sherlock’s back and it's fast, fun, flashy, fantastic
Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat built 90 minutes of the fastest, funniest, flashiest, cleverest, most demanding, ridiculous and brilliant drama there is likely to be until … well, possibly until the next Sherlock comes along, sometime in 2017 we are told.

A real treat. I have no idea when it will air in North America. (I couldn't wait ;))

Blues

Postby Blues » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:23 am

Currently splitting non-sports related TV between the final three episodes of "Foyle's War" and "Making A Murderer" on Netflix.

I must say, as a retired federal law enforcement officer, that "Making A Murderer" is pretty compelling stuff. I am frequently astounded and dismayed by the actions of both the law enforcement officers and agencies, the lawyers, (for both the prosecution and the defense (in at least one instance), and the judges. :oops: :shock:

Worth a look.

I guess tonight we'll begin watching the last season of Downton Abbey. (I sure hope Mr. Bates can finally have more than just a moments peace.)
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

scubadiver

Postby scubadiver » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:19 pm

Mingus wrote:
bru wrote:

I agree with this. There seems to be an abundance of really good television shows being produced now. Thank god the reality tv show craze has died out. Those were clearly the dark days.

Though technically reality tv, a genre that I generally dislike, Shark Tank has been a lot of fun to watch. Many good entrepreneurs out there with great (and some not so great) ideas. The show has a lot of good discussion with perhaps just a little director induced drama. Overall, very well done show.

TomatoTomahto

Postby TomatoTomahto » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:22 pm

I agree that much reality TV is worthless, but I like the following:
Top Chef - still interesting, and I admit that I have a crush on Padma Lakshmi.
Alaska, the Final Frontier - lots of footage gets reused and sometimes the producers seem overly active, but this follows a family of homesteaders who have genuine love and respect for each other. As opposed to most shows, I would welcome any of them to my home
SurvivorThis is the most over-produced and manipulated of the shows, but it offers a view into how different people react in a difficult and artificial setting. There is a reason that this show has been on TV for so long.

poker27

Postby poker27 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:38 pm

We binged watched making a murderer. 10 episodes within 10hours. I'm a big fan of dateline mysteries, so this was right up my alley. Sad it's over

dbCooperAir

Postby dbCooperAir » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:23 pm

Getting back to the Doctor Who Series on Netflix, great show. At one time they had all the old Dr. Who shows from the beginning (the old black and white shows), I may take a jag on some of those.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-

bru

Postby bru » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:13 pm

Recently binge watched S1:The Man in the High Castle. S2 premieres later this year.

Currently about to finish S1: Mozart in the Jungle then on to S2.

As I said too much good TV to watch it all or even catch up (i.e. binge) on. How can I fit in four seasons (10 or more episodes per season) of X show, mostly hour dramas, multiplied by a half dozen or more shows? Our plan is to try and watch a series before too many seasons go by but its not always possible. Especially when our TV viewing is limited to after the kid goes to sleep.

Jim Profit

Postby Jim Profit » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:38 am

Jim Profit wrote:I've really been enjoying a new show this summer called "Mr. Robot" airing on the USA Network. Best way to describe it is a combination of the movies "Fight Club" and "The Matrix" with a sprinkling of "American Psycho" thrown in. Basically a psychological thriller involving hacking, social media, and the impact of all this technology on people's lives. The series was renewed for a second season before the pilot episode even aired so it will be around for awhile.

Wow, thought I was the only one who was watching Mr. Robot. In a big surprise, Mr. Robot took the Golden Globe for Best TV Drama Series and cast member Christian Slater also won for Best Supporting Actor in a TV series.

bru

Postby bru » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:01 pm

Jim Profit wrote:Wow, thought I was the only one who was watching Mr. Robot. In a big surprise, Mr. Robot took the Golden Globe for Best TV Drama Series and cast member Christian Slater also won for Best Supporting Actor in a TV series.

In a similar vein Mozart in the Jungle and its lead actor Gael Garcia Bernal won Golden Globes for Comedy series/actor. Amazon has not announced if it will get a third season but I have to think yes.

I keep going back to my best era of television comment. I was just reading about 13 "must watch" new series on Netflix. 13!! And then there are their continuing shows. And that's just Netflix. Add in Amazon, Hulu, Showtime, HBO, etc., the "traditional" networks (Shades of Blue on NBC showed promise) and it is head spinning to keep up with it all.

reggiesimpson

Postby reggiesimpson » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:12 pm

Ive burnt out on cable news. Its back to my old standbye.......Anthony Bourdains Layover, No reservations. I never thought a food/travel show would be preceded by a warning!

Dleex84

Postby Dleex84 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:10 pm

GOT, Mr. Robot, Billions, American Horror Story, House of Cards.

You will enjoy all of these these. (Subjective, however Im sure you will).

mickeyd

Postby mickeyd » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:40 pm

Season #2 of "Better call Saul" begins Monday 2/15. I liked season one.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

profnot

Postby profnot » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:57 pm

My favorites - some series have finished. I get the DVD sets from the library.

No particular order:
Foyle's War
Waking the Dead (British cold cases reinvestigated)
Heat of the Sun
Downton Abbey
Rizzoli & Isles (fun)
Castle (fun)
Prime Suspect
Sherlock Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch)
Luther
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries (fun from Australia)
Commissario Brunetti (Set in Venice. Based on Donna Leon books.)
Detective Montalbano (Set in Sicily)
Borgen (Denmark)
The Killing
Homeland
Zen (Set in Italy, Rufus Sewell)
Murder in Suburbia (fun)

rob

Postby rob » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:00 pm

Bylo Selhi wrote:After a two year hiatus a new episode of Sherlock aired in the UK a couple of days ago. Starring Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock and Martin Freeman as Watson. The Guardian's review sums it up nicely. Sherlock’s back and it's fast, fun, flashy, fantastic
Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat built 90 minutes of the fastest, funniest, flashiest, cleverest, most demanding, ridiculous and brilliant drama there is likely to be until … well, possibly until the next Sherlock comes along, sometime in 2017 we are told.

A real treat. I have no idea when it will air in North America. (I couldn't wait ;))

It was on just after new year..... Don't get your hopes up too high for this one (stopping there).
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

Bfwolf

Postby Bfwolf » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:23 pm

Any fans of Alone? Seasons 2 started tonight.

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:35 pm

I saw Happy Valley and Hinterland on Netflix, each the second series and each very good.

I saw Season Two of Bosch, the show based on the Michael Connelly novels, on Amazon. Season One was quite good, but Season Two was better.

Saving the best for last, I borrowed the Season Four DVD of Homeland from my library. As good as the first three seasons were, Season Four was even better. Absolutely riveting, at least for me. I'm really looking forward to Season Five, which I believe has ended, but I'm not sure when the DVD will be out.
Gordon

heartwood

Postby heartwood » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:58 am

I liked the first couple of episodes of People of Earth, a comedy about alien abductees (but they're not allowed to call themselves that).

Otherwise I'm down to watching Poldark on PBS. Divorce on HBO is well done despite Sarah Jessica Parker. This is Us is good so far. I've tried most of the new shows (Pure Genius, The Good Place and many others) without finding a keeper.

I slogged through the first 6 episodes of Westworld, but have faltered recently. What is the story? I mentally compare it to Deadwood because of the western themes and it comes up so short for me despite my love of sci-fi.

I've got access to several other premium channels as well as Netflix, Amazon and Hulu. I'm just inept in finding things to watch on the latter and find the controller works so poorly compared to cable.

Waiting for Game of Thrones and House of Cards to resume.

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:34 am

I am watching Maria la del barrio. It is mindless and silly, but it is genuinely improving my Spanish (I need simple dialogue in Spanish).

House Blend

Postby House Blend » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:20 am

Has anyone else stumbled across 30 degrees in February?
Available for streaming on Netflix.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1677734/

It is essentially three separate dramatic narratives about Swedes in Thailand: an older couple on vacation, a single mom recuperating from a stroke and accompanied by her two daughters, and a middle aged man looking to buy a wife.

Most of it appears to be set in and around the beaches of Phuket with occasional detours elsewhere in Thailand and back in Sweden. Can't go into any detail other than to say that it gets very dark. Perhaps this should be expected for any Scandinavian production, even one set in a tourist destination.

As I got deeper into Season 1, I kept waiting for the three narratives to become intertwined, but it appears (midway through Season 2) that aside from occasional brief incidents, there is no such intention.

In any case, highly recommended.

(If the title is puzzling, remember to translate "30 degrees" into American.)

mickeyd

Postby mickeyd » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:12 pm

The Walking Dead continues to top my list of current shows. Along with Negan, and his enforcer "Lucille," one never knows what to expect next.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

foreverihope

Postby foreverihope » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:37 pm

life in pieces, imo, best show on today

FRANK2009

Postby FRANK2009 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:38 pm

Fans of OITNB may want to give Wentworth a try. It may take more than a few episodes to "get it". It's on Netflix streaming.

Jim Profit

Postby Jim Profit » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:08 am

heartwood wrote:I slogged through the first 6 episodes of Westworld, but have faltered recently. What is the story? I mentally compare it to Deadwood because of the western themes and it comes up so short for me despite my love of sci-fi.

My interest in Westworld also started to falter at episodes 5 and 6 as the series got off on some silly tangents (Pariah), but I stuck with it and highly-rated episode 7 "Trompe L'Oeil" was incredible and very clearly defines what the story is. I couldn't figure out why there was such a huge jump up in series quality in episode 7 and beyond, until I found out that all production was shut down for several months after episode 6. The official statement was that they needed the scriptwriting to catch up with the shooting, but reading between the lines sounds to me like they retrenched extensively and in my opinion got the series back on track bigtime.

I think Westworld will indeed be the next "Game of Thrones" for HBO, although they will need some awfully deep pockets if they are going to be spending $100 million per season as they did for season 1...

oldcomputerguy

Postby oldcomputerguy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:26 am

Drama: JAG, NCIS (the original)
Comedy: The Big Bang Theory, Are You Being Served (British), MASH
SciFi: Stargate SG-1, Star Trek, Doctor Who (Tom Baker, David Tennant, or Matt Smith, not to start a flamewar...)

Oh, and anything from Aaron Sorkin (Sports Night, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, The Newsroom, The West Wing)
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

Blues

Postby Blues » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:06 am

Just finished season 2 of "The Missing" and it was very good. (BBC / Starz)

mhalley

Postby mhalley » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:39 pm

If you liked Westworkd you might give Humans a try. Another take on sentient androids. Season 2 just started on AMC.
"based on the award-winning Swedish science fiction drama Real Humans, the series explores the themes of artificial intelligence and robotics, focusing on the social, cultural, and psychological impact of the invention of anthropomorphic robots called "synths".

jginseattle

Postby jginseattle » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Season 3 of the very entertaining Fargo started last night.

http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainme ... -of-fargo/

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:49 pm

I watched the first season of Jane the Virgin. This is an incredibly good show. I heartily recommend it.
Gordon

Nova1967

Postby Nova1967 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:42 am

Bill O Reilly and Keeping up with the Kardashians

bloom2708

Postby bloom2708 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:44 am

Nova1967 wrote:Bill O Reilly and Keeping up with the Kardashians

You have to use the :wink: icon after recommending a canceled show. :wink:

+1 for Fargo (season 3). Better Call Saul (season 3) also just started. This is the prequel to Breaking Bad.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead | | Want to buy something? Watch this first: https://vimeo.com/41152287

Dave55

Postby Dave55 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:37 am

Harry Bosch season 3 is available on Amazon Streaming today. I loved season 1 and 2. (And the books are fantastic too).
Dave

ajjulee

Postby ajjulee » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:43 am

Have been binging on Britbox - a new subscription based app for BBC and ITV content. Amazing library. Morse, Inspector Lynley(spelling?), Frost, Faulty Towers etc., among many programs.

AL
What I write on this forum is sometimes the truth, maybe the whole truth, and not always nothing but the truth, for the purposes of online anonymity.

Nova1967

Postby Nova1967 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:12 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Nova1967 wrote:Bill O Reilly and Keeping up with the Kardashians

You have to use the :wink: icon after recommending a canceled show. :wink:

+1 for Fargo (season 3). Better Call Saul (season 3) also just started. This is the prequel to Breaking Bad.

He'll be back

staythecourse

Postby staythecourse » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:38 am

Right now I'm binging on "Friday Night Lights".

Would second "Bloodlines".

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

staythecourse

Postby staythecourse » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:43 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
triceratop wrote:The Honourable Woman (BBC)

It's a mix of Syriana and State of Play. Highly recommend. Stephen Rea plays my favorite spook ever, he belongs in a le Carre book.

I agree; first-rate acting throughout (my crush on Maggie Gyllenhaal reinforced by her acting).

I'll 3rd that. My wife made me start watching and I got hooked. Great show and terrific acting my Maggie Gyllenhaal.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

wassabi

Postby wassabi » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:35 pm

I've been really enjoying Vikings. It can be a little violent, so not for the faint of heart.

Also watching The Crown and very much enjoying it.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”