TV show recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JonnyDVM

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby JonnyDVM » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:02 pm

dl7848 wrote:
midareff wrote:NCIS and NCIS LA, ...... and of course Jack is back for another 24

NCIS - the show that never dies.

I'm amazed it's still on. Not that it's not a good show, but it's longevity is unreal. The commercials all say it's the "most popular show on TV", which I think is a bit of hype...and I know nobody that watches it. But it's been on since 2003. That's quite a run.

A show that never dies? Try the Simpsons. I can't believe that show is still on. I loved it as a kid in the early 90s. It's been unwatchable (to me anyway) for 15 years at this point. I'll never be able to watch reruns in syndication because 80% of episodes are mediocre or worse. At this point it exists only to perpetuate itself.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

placeholder

Postby placeholder » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:20 pm

It doesn't matter whether your circle watches it the ratings in total viewers is what matters.

RustyShackleford

Postby RustyShackleford » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:59 pm

In my opinion, Deadwood and The Wire are in a class by themselves. (Many would put The Sopranos with them, but I don't, acknowledging that it could simply be fatigue from glorification of Italian-American psychopaths, and also acknowledging that it broke new ground by demonstrating that cable allowed much more intelligent and sophisticated programming than the best of network drama, e.g. NYPD Blue and The West Wing).

There are many shows that are a half- or full-notch below those two, but well worth watching. We truly are in the golden age of television, where it is perhaps surpassing "film" as an artistic medium: Mad Men, Game of Thrones, True Detective, Breaking Bad, Homeland, Boardwalk Empire, Friday Night Lights, Rome.

In comedy, Modern Family is wonderful, even though it's network TV. And the new comedy from Mike Judge (Beavis & Butthead, King of the Hill, Office Space, Idiocracy), Silicon Valley, is brilliant.

dl7848

Postby dl7848 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:14 pm

placeholder wrote:It doesn't matter whether your circle watches it the ratings in total viewers is what matters.

Understood. (I think your comment was addressed to me.)

I even know enough to know that we've just had May Sweeps. :D

It's just that even diehard viewers eventually get tired. I watched NCIS for a long time, but it becomes formulaic after awhile. The producers know that that happens and sometimes try to shake it up with cast changes or clever gimmicks. (I'm looking at Criminal Minds for the first, and Lost for the second). Those sometimes have the effect of the show instantly jumping the shark. I can only imagine in the case of NCIS, that the outflow of viewers tired of the show have been replaced by new viewers (brilliant deduction ;)), especially those who got onboard with NCIS Los Angeles -- a show that seems to have lost the "N" part of NCIS, but is more "cool", I guess.

Jerrybaby

Postby Jerrybaby » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:39 am

I have a category where I rank the best shows of all time for me. It is called "Please, please add another season!" The shows in that category:

Lost
Breaking Bad
Firefly
Dexter

I was beginning to think that no other show would rank in that category. I just finished "The Wire", and it absolutely deserves to be in that category. A seriously great show.

All I have left is season 3 of "Suits" and the last installment of the Jesse Stone series, then I'm not sure there's much else for me.

midareff

Postby midareff » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:12 am

9 PM tonight... another episode of Jack Bauer.

Johm221122

Postby Johm221122 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:20 am

Just started The Wire (from Netflix).Thanks to those who recommended it
It's got me hooked already
John

RustyShackleford

Postby RustyShackleford » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:42 pm

Johm221122 wrote:Just started The Wire (from Netflix).Thanks to those who recommended it

Wow, I was not hooked until I got into the 2nd season. In the first season, I could barely comprehend what was going on, mainly due to the difficulty of understanding both the words of the dialog and their meaning (lots and lots of slang and lingo). I probably identified more in the 2nd season, because it's much more about white folk - though of a completely different socio-economic class than myself.

The beautiful thing about David Simon's work is that I genuinely believe it makes you a better citizen. I feel like I now have at least some comprehension of the trials and tribulations of growing up black and poor in the inner city. Similarly with his following work, Generation Kill, which gives you some view of the experience of the people who almost solely carry the burdens of our nation's recent military adventures (even if, as in The Wire, you are sometimes outraged at what they actually do). But it's all still entertaining as hell.

House Blend

Postby House Blend » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:30 pm

RustyShackleford wrote:
Johm221122 wrote:Just started The Wire (from Netflix).Thanks to those who recommended it

Wow, I was not hooked until I got into the 2nd season. In the first season, I could barely comprehend what was going on, mainly due to the difficulty of understanding both the words of the dialog and their meaning (lots and lots of slang and lingo).

It wasn't until maybe the 3rd season that I realized that The Wire is much easier to follow with English subtitles turned on.

That said, it didn't live up to the hype for me. I still put the Sopranos and now Breaking Bad above it as better series.

LazyNihilist

Postby LazyNihilist » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:35 pm

House Blend wrote:
RustyShackleford wrote:

Wow, I was not hooked until I got into the 2nd season. In the first season, I could barely comprehend what was going on, mainly due to the difficulty of understanding both the words of the dialog and their meaning (lots and lots of slang and lingo).

It wasn't until maybe the 3rd season that I realized that The Wire is much easier to follow with English subtitles turned on.

That said, it didn't live up to the hype for me. I still put the Sopranos and now Breaking Bad above it as better series.

I simply love The Wire and Treme. Then Game of Thrones and True Detective.
Everything after The Wire is downhill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-yziyKwC44
The only problem is Entropy, leading to the eventual heat death of the universe. [Seen on /.]

RustyShackleford

Postby RustyShackleford » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:50 pm

House Blend wrote:It wasn't until maybe the 3rd season that I realized that The Wire is much easier to follow with English subtitles turned on.

True dat.

Jerrybaby

Postby Jerrybaby » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:05 pm

Wanted to add Luther to my list of TV show recommendations. Idris Elba of "The Wire" fame carries the show. Only three seasons and 14 episodes, but a film adaptation is in the works.

Bustoff

Postby Bustoff » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:37 pm

The Untouchables
77 Sunset Strip
Route 66
Twilight Zone
Gunsmoke
Manix
Columbo
Rockford Files

Some of those theme songs were great.

kayanco

Postby kayanco » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:18 pm

Game of Thrones
Homeland

RustyShackleford

Postby RustyShackleford » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:27 pm

kayanco wrote:Game of Thrones

Damn, I thought The Wire was tough, but the number of characters (and their allegiances and people) in GoT is utterly bewildering.
Homeland

The first season was just about the most edge-of-your-seat exciting thing I've ever seen, TV or movies. The 2nd season pretty good. I've been told that it kinda goes downhill from there.

kayanco

Postby kayanco » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:29 pm

RustyShackleford wrote:
kayanco wrote:Game of Thrones

Damn, I thought The Wire was tough, but the number of characters (and their allegiances and people) in GoT is utterly bewildering.

GOT is incredible! You must watch it if you haven't!

Homeland

The first season was just about the most edge-of-your-seat exciting thing I've ever seen, TV or movies. The 2nd season pretty good. I've been told that it kinda goes downhill from there.

You are right, 3rd starts a bit slow....but it gets pretty good around the middle, and end's great! Highly recommend if you liked season 1,2

placeholder

Postby placeholder » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:59 am

kayanco wrote:GOT is incredible! You must watch it if you haven't!

Eh ... I don't like High Fantasy much and I have enough TV to watch without getting sucked into that series.

d0gerz

Postby d0gerz » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:40 am

The new Cosmos with Neil deGrasse Tyson. I find it incredibly fascinating. The subject matter it covers is quite varied, including astrophysics, history, biology, chemistry, all woven together in a compelling narrative.

kayanco

Postby kayanco » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:14 am

And Breaking Bad obviously! :)

Mad Men...but I feel I need to have more patience to watch it, and try to follow it more carefully.

Prison Break Season 1.

Friends....best comedy. I tried to watch the recent comedy like, How i met you mother, Big Bang. I just don't find these funny at all. Don't even come close to the Friends. I can watch reruns and still enjoy.

obgraham

Postby obgraham » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:18 pm

Jeopardy!

There's nothing else on.

dl7848

Postby dl7848 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:30 pm

obgraham wrote:Jeopardy!

There's nothing else on.

What is a TV show that matches answers with questions?

bhramar

Postby bhramar » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:33 pm

Lilyhammer on Netflix. Love the opening music.

mhalley

Postby mhalley » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:38 pm

Fargo on fx is a great blackcomedy on FX. The season ends next week, not something you can jump in on, but if they run a marathon check it out.
Mike

SuperGrafx

Postby SuperGrafx » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:37 am

I've recently gotten into the Sherlock reboot from BBC.
It's Sherlock Holmes set in today's world complete with cell phones and modern technology.
Pretty entertaining stuff and some very well-thought out storylines.

Wannaretireearly

Postby Wannaretireearly » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:44 pm

Finished Luther and Sherlock - both brilliant.
will check out the wire - love this thread!
Buy Low, Sell High

protagonist

Postby protagonist » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:55 pm

I learned about Orphan Black from this thread. Its star, Tatiana Maslany, is amazing. Truly amazing. She's from Saskatchewan of all places.

I'm happy about Tyrion's fate, which I will not discuss for fear of spoiling it for others. Phenomenal TV that Game of Thrones. Though Denaerys Targaryan (sp?) is not holding my interest to the extent that she did in earlier seasons.
Last edited by protagonist on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Hastibe

Postby Hastibe » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:57 pm

Just finished watching Exile (on Netflix)--it's a British mini-series that aired on the BBC, and I thought it was excellent--great, suspenseful story about a journalist returning home to face a family mystery.

William4u

Postby William4u » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:03 pm

In order...

The Wire
I Claudius
Slings and Arrows
Deadwood
Foyle's War
The Sopranos
True Detective
30 Rock

Why, why has no one mentioned the comedy Slings and Arrows? Slings and Arrows is one of the best shows ever, especially if you enjoy theater and Shakespeare. The show was written by people from the famed Stratford Shakespeare Festival...

Season 1: Hamlet
Season 2: Macbeth
Season 3: King Lear

The show is about the actors and people who put on the plays, and it is very funny and witty.

protagonist

Postby protagonist » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:13 pm

William4u wrote:In order...

The Wire
I Claudius
Slings and Arrows
Deadwood
Foyle's War
The Sopranos
True Detective
30 Rock

Why, why has no one mentioned the comedy Slings and Arrows? Slings and Arrows is one of the best shows ever, especially if you enjoy theater and Shakespeare. The show was written by people from the famed Stratford Shakespeare Festival...

The show is about the actors and people who put on the plays, and it is very funny and witty.

I agree that Slings and Arrows was good. Of your list, of those I have seen, I would put Deadwood on top. I loved Swearingen. I'm surprised by the lack of interest (or awareness) in Farscape. OK, the ending was horrible....they cancelled it abruptly. And the movie was even worse. But ignoring that, IMHO it was the best sci-fi series ever. Ever. It ramps up a bit slow, but the second and third seasons in particular were phenomenal. Firefly was in the same league, but it died too prematurely to fully develop.

There was also a ridiculous sci-fi series around the early 2000s called Lexx. If you like offbeat culty stuff, it was addictive.

William4u

Postby William4u » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:32 pm

protagonist wrote:
William4u wrote:In order...

The Wire
I Claudius
Slings and Arrows
Deadwood
Foyle's War
The Sopranos
True Detective
30 Rock

I agree that Slings and Arrows was good. Of your list, of those I have seen, I would put Deadwood on top. I loved Swearingen.

I have friends that agree that Deadwood is the best (and I can't blame them). I admit that Deadwood's Swearingen is one of the best written and acted characters in TV history.

JonnyDVM

Postby JonnyDVM » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:30 pm

More than halfway through the second season of "orange is the new black" on Netflix- gotta say I'm kinda disappointed. :? Just not interested in some of the characters and they went over the top with the lesbian stuff IMO.

Sherlock is up next for us.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

protagonist

Postby protagonist » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:21 pm

There is a miniseries I saw listed on imdb.com called Band of Brothers that got a user rating on imdb of 9.6 , That would be tied with Breaking Bad (the highest rating of any TV show I have seen listed on imdb), and above Game of Thrones (second place with a rating of 9.5).

It is about Easy Company in WW II.

Has anybody seen it and care to comment? I never heard of it before now.

Ged

Postby Ged » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:39 pm

protagonist wrote:There is a miniseries I saw listed on imdb.com called Band of Brothers that got a user rating on imdb of 9.6 , That would be tied with Breaking Bad (the highest rating of any TV show I have seen listed on imdb), and above Game of Thrones (second place with a rating of 9.5).

Band of Brothers is based on a book by Stephen Ambrose. It is related through that to the Spielberg film "Saving Private Ryan" for which Ambrose was the historical advisor and also his book "D-Day". I highly recommend both of these books.

He wrote a number of other histories, one on the building of the transcontinental railroad which I have read. I'm not so sure I'd recommend that as I have a family connection to one of the characters so I have an interest not everyone would share.

There is also a follow-on TV series called "Pacific". Not as good in my opinion.

RustyShackleford

Postby RustyShackleford » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:03 pm

William4u wrote:I have friends that agree that Deadwood is the best (and I can't blame them). I admit that Deadwood's Swearingen is one of the best written and acted characters in TV history.

Yes. It's an interesting coincidence that the other amazing character that David Milch created, Andy Sipowicz on "NYPD Blue", has the same initials. And a coincidence it must be, as Andy is fictional and pre-dates Al, who is based on a real person (as are many if not most of Deadwood's characters, such as Calamity Jane, Wild Bill Hickok, Seth Bullock, and George Hearst).

To me the most amazing thing about Deadwood is the language in the show. It is poetry, just beautiful. I have memorized some of the speeches. I know of nothing else like it, TV or movies. Shakespearian. Yet oddly it's also about the most incredibly profane thing ever written, almost every line of dialog containing some variant of the f-word, though they're oddly squeamish about curse-words related to excretory functions ("we'll take a break for nature").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgaEYyIjykM

Skip to 4:00 or so if you want to avoid the celebration of the cursing. Still, a lot of my favorite stuff is missing, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAZ1bKU-vx0

But all the production values, sets, costumes, extras, everything, are amazing. The shot at 8:50 (in the first link) or so could be a painting.

Oh yeah, and there's acting, skip to 3:30 or so in the following, where a woman tries to seduce a man she's married to and loves, but doesn't love in a boy-girl sort of way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2JaVChtWhs
Last edited by RustyShackleford on Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.

RustyShackleford

Postby RustyShackleford » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:03 pm

JonnyDVM wrote:More than halfway through the second season of "orange is the new black" on Netflix- gotta say I'm kinda disappointed.

Yep, we pretty much quit the 2nd season after a few episodes.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:05 pm

Tried the new show The Last Ship in TBS and it was not bad. I will watch the next episode.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Jerrybaby

Postby Jerrybaby » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:41 am

protagonist wrote:There is a miniseries I saw listed on imdb.com called Band of Brothers that got a user rating on imdb of 9.6 , That would be tied with Breaking Bad (the highest rating of any TV show I have seen listed on imdb), and above Game of Thrones (second place with a rating of 9.5).

Highly recommend Band of Brothers. Seen it several times. I served in the 101st (not during WWII), and it brought a tear to my eye more than a few times. Great characters. Agree that Pacific is a step down.

RustyShackleford

Postby RustyShackleford » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:06 pm

Highly recommend Band of Brothers. Seen it several times. I served in the 101st (not during WWII), and it brought a tear to my eye more than a few times. Great characters.

I was on an commercial air flight in 2004 or so. It was pretty bumpy, slightly nervousness-inducing even for a normally fealess flyer. Started talking to the elderly gentleman next to me. Turns out he was headed to (or from) a reunion of his old unit: I can't recall if it was the 82nd or 101st Airborne. He'd been on one of the parachute landings in the wee hours of D-Day. So much for being nervous about some bumpy air ! I asked him what he thought about the recent US invasion of Iraq; I appreciated his answer but shall not repeat it here in deference to forum policy. After de-boarding I realized I hadn't thanked him for his service; I caught up to him on the walk to baggage claim, but it wasn't that easy.

Fun fact about the 101st Airborne: Jimi Hendrix was in it. He got his Screaming Eagles patch but was later honorably discharged due to "unsuitability". Legend has it that he was trying to imitate the sound of the wind during a jump with his guitar.

likegarden

Postby likegarden » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:20 pm

'Swamp People' to relax before falling asleep.
Life as a retiree is stressful enough, do not need a stressful TV show or movie.

Dave55

Postby Dave55 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:33 am

If you like the Wire, be sure to watch "Homicide Life On The Street"

It's got me hooked already
John

reggiesimpson

Postby reggiesimpson » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:23 am

For me nothing beats Deadwood and Al Swearingen. Ian McShane was chosen for this role as a result of the criminal he played in Sexy Beast (an underrated movie). When he won the Emmy for his role as Al he beat out several top American actors and left the entire audience befuddled as to who this interloper was. He stated after the series that he would leave any movie/TV series/stage play he was involved in if the opportunity to play Swearingen came up again.

chaz

Postby chaz » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:32 am

SuperGrafx wrote:I've recently gotten into the Sherlock reboot from BBC.
It's Sherlock Holmes set in today's world complete with cell phones and modern technology.
Pretty entertaining stuff and some very well-thought out storylines.

Yes, and it's on PBS.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Bylo Selhi

Postby Bylo Selhi » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:04 am

Good news for Sherlock fans, although it will be a bit of a wait: Sherlock back for Christmas special, says Martin Freeman and Sherlock: Fourth series to follow a special in 2015

In the meantime, you can get more of Martin Freeman on Fargo, an excellent TV series in its own right.

bradshaw1965

Postby bradshaw1965 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:17 am

I just started and am enjoying "Halt and Catch Fire". It's set in the 80's in Sillicon Prarie Texas with the personal computer revolution as a backdrop. I went in thinking that it would give me a bit of a retro nostalgia kick, but I'm a few episodes in and I'm getting sucked into the characters and story as well.

Bylo Selhi

Postby Bylo Selhi » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:38 pm

bradshaw1965 wrote:I went in thinking that it would give me a bit of a retro nostalgia kick, but I'm a few episodes in and I'm getting sucked into the characters and story as well.

Yes, it does seem to be getting better with each episode. My initial reaction to the first episode was that the story was too esoteric and too geeky to interest the general public. I'm hoping that the quality of the writing and acting will keep getting better and be able to keep the show alive.

As for the nostalgia, beware that there are many inaccuracies. Most are relatively trivial. But some are fundamentally wrong. One example is the need to reverse-engineer the IBM PC BIOS code. That wasn't necessary in real life because IBM published a Technical Reference manual for the PC (and later XT, PCjr, AT...) that included a full BIOS listing, wiring diagrams, interface specs, etc. As the show says, IBM's objective was to keep the architecture and specs open so as to encourage others to develop software and adapter boards. The reason clone manufacturers like Cardiff in the show and Compaq in real life had to independently develop their own functionally equivalent BIOS was because IBM's version was copyrighted.

RustyShackleford

Postby RustyShackleford » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:04 pm

reggiesimpson wrote:For me nothing beats Deadwood and Al Swearingen. Ian McShane was chosen for this role ...

I've read Milch quoted as saying he wanted the part to go to Ed O'Neill ("Married with Children") but HBO vetoed. Milch later used him in "John from Cincinnatti", where he was great, as he is in "Modern Family". Speaking of which, I'd also recommend JfC, but it's an acquired taste: strangest thing ever on TV drama, with possible exception of "Twin Peaks".

hoops777

Postby hoops777 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Been catching up on 24.....I am enjoying it.Jack is back and he is SERIOUS.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

tigerman3

Postby tigerman3 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:05 pm

I second the kudos for

Fargo
Sherlock (BBC)
Breaking Bad
House of Cards
Justified

reggiesimpson

Postby reggiesimpson » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:26 pm

RustyShackleford wrote:
reggiesimpson wrote:For me nothing beats Deadwood and Al Swearingen. Ian McShane was chosen for this role ...

I've read Milch quoted as saying he wanted the part to go to Ed O'Neill ("Married with Children") but HBO vetoed. Milch later used him in "John from Cincinnatti", where he was great, as he is in "Modern Family". Speaking of which, I'd also recommend JfC, but it's an acquired taste: strangest thing ever on TV drama, with possible exception of "Twin Peaks".

Ed O'Neill?....... That would have sunk Deadwood!
When i saw the coming attractions for Deadwood during a Sopranos break i jumped for joy. While the other 10 people in the room had no idea who he was i was quite familiar with his talents and suggested everyone should certainly check into Deadwood. No one was disappointed.

willie838

Postby willie838 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:15 pm

if you have netflix and are looking for a show to watch try "Boss". kelsey grammar stars as the mayor of chicago.

it's a political intrigue show that pretty obviously laid the groundwork for house of cards.

there are only 2 seasons because starz cancelled it.....which they always do and why i don't bother investing in their series (party down- arguably top 5 best comedy series of all time, and magic city also got clipped last year i believe- after 2 seasons)

starz puts out some great stuff, loses faith in their underproducing and gets rid of them before people like me even catch on that something was awesome while it was still being created.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”