TV show recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
rob
Posts: 2770
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:49 pm
Location: Here

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby rob » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:16 pm

Sorry - didn't read the millions of past replies before responding :-)

The Newsroom - Just got the 1st season so far and cracker of a first episode with real news sprinkled in.
Life on Mars - (The UK version... have not seen the US version) - Absolutely Friggin Brilliant for a child of the 70's :-)
Person of Interest - Not too bad - little repetous after the first season.
Michael Palin - Any of his travel shows... even the first steam train one is okay :-) His group projects were not 1/2 bad either 8-)
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

jginseattle
Posts: 656
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby jginseattle » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:38 pm

I'm enjoying Fargo.

texasred
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby texasred » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:14 pm

So many great mentions but we have forgotten Mary Tyler Moore Show

Bracket
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:50 pm

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby Bracket » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:11 pm

My favorite show was, is, and will always be Seinfeld.

Others that I consider great are :

Sopranos
Rome
Game of Thrones

reggiesimpson
Posts: 1526
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby reggiesimpson » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:37 am

Sherlock

More than 100 years later Sir Arthur Conan Doyles detective still wows his audience.

chaz
Posts: 13589
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby chaz » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:49 am

Seinfeld. Currently, Suits.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

User avatar
HardKnocker
Posts: 2063
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:55 am
Location: New Jersey USA

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby HardKnocker » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:04 am

Agents of Shield
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett

minesweep
Posts: 1101
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:17 pm
Location: PA

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby minesweep » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:49 pm

The countdown continues for "24":

24: Live Another Day

User avatar
runthetrails
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:51 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby runthetrails » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:07 pm

For those who have Netflix, check out Lilyhammer - a quirky crime dramedy IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes. Love this show.

On mainstream TV I have been enjoying

The Americans
Homeland
Archer
The Venture Bros
Count Arthur Strong (IMDB)-- found season 1 online and thought this was a riot. Apparently this was a long-running British radio program and is just making the transition to TV.
Justified
Luther - great cop drama on BBC; too few episodes per season
Orange is the New Black
Sherlock

I recently re-watched the full runs of Blackadder and The Vicar of Dibley on DVD. I sure wish they made more shows like these.
My all-time favorites are also British:
1) Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie in Jeeves and Wooster
2) Rumpole of the Bailey with Leo McKern

cacophony
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby cacophony » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:13 pm

My current favorites are:

Suits
Parks and Recreation
Orange is the New Black
House of Cards
Game of Thrones

HIinvestor
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:23 am

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby HIinvestor » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:48 pm

Sleepy Hollow and Grimm are the two favorites in this household. Sadly, not enough episodes are shot of either and there are so many breaks between episodes!

User avatar
oneleaf
Posts: 2237
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:48 pm

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby oneleaf » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:21 pm

Favorite current shows are Orphan Black, True Detective, Hannibal, Game of Thrones, and Arrow.
Previous: Breaking Bad, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica
Some great seasons, but not my favorite overall series: Boardwalk Empire, Homeland, Heroes, Lost, 24

User avatar
leonidas
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:58 am
Location: Mansfield Township, NJ

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby leonidas » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:31 pm

My wife and I Enjoy the good wife and scandal. I like the walking dead even though the quality of the episodes is somewhat uneven.

snyder66
Posts: 1055
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:46 pm

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby snyder66 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:43 pm

jginseattle wrote:I'm enjoying Fargo.

I loved the first episode. The second was a bit slow and boring. Hopefully, It will improve...

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 5938
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby TomatoTomahto » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:26 pm

snyder66 wrote:
jginseattle wrote:I'm enjoying Fargo.

I loved the first episode. The second was a bit slow and boring. Hopefully, It will improve...


I put Fargo up with my current favorite shows: The Americans,Nurse Jackie, Boardwalk Empire, The Bridge, and Homeland.

mhalley
Posts: 4507
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby mhalley » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:45 pm

Just discovered Orphan Black, watched the first season when they did the marathon prior to launching the second season. Great performance by the actress that plays the lead as multiple clones of herself, interesting mystery regarding who is doing the experiment to make the clones and why someone is out to kill them all.
Mike

Jerrybaby
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:36 pm

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby Jerrybaby » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:08 am

HIinvestor wrote:Sleepy Hollow and Grimm are the two favorites in this household. Sadly, not enough episodes are shot of either and there are so many breaks between episodes!


I thought Grimm was great in season one. For me personally, season three has gotten so bad that I may not watch anymore. You can say, "Oh no, not a Slacklefargen!!!!" only so many times before it loses its affect. Highly recommend the first season, though.

Jerrybaby
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:36 pm

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby Jerrybaby » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:11 am

Sorry to say, but I had to give up on Justified. I like a little more "John Wayne" in my main characters and a little less...well, I'll leave it at that.

gd
Posts: 1190
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:35 am
Location: MA, USA

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby gd » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:02 am

I found it sad to read comments scornful of the special effects on a site streaming The Outer Limits reruns; it was magnificent zeitgeist. But if you all get bored, feel free to redo Wikipedia during commercials next weekend:
http://boingboing.net/2008/04/27/death- ... itcom.html

User avatar
Teetlebaum
Posts: 455
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:27 pm

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby Teetlebaum » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:48 pm


User avatar
JupiterJones
Posts: 2478
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:25 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby JupiterJones » Wed May 07, 2014 3:19 pm

oneleaf wrote:Favorite current shows are Orphan Black, True Detective, Hannibal, Game of Thrones, and Arrow.
Previous: Breaking Bad, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica
Some great seasons, but not my favorite overall series: Boardwalk Empire, Homeland, Heroes, Lost, 24


By the way, if you're a fan of BSG, Lost, and Heroes, you should check out the current version of Hawaii Five-0.

Not because it's a "great" show (although it's a decent enough), but because it's nice to see some of the actors from those other shows:

  • Daniel Dae Kim ("Jin" from Lost) is a main character.
  • Grace Park ("Boomer/Athena" from BSG) plays his cousin, also a main character
  • Masi Oka ("Hiro" on Heroes) is a main character
  • Lost's Terry O'Quinn ("John Locke") and Jorge Garcia ("Hurley") both play recurring characters.
  • One-off guest stars from Lost include Henry Ian Cusick ("Desmond"), Tania Raymonde ("Alex"), and Jeff Fahey ("Frank Lapidus")
  • Heroes' Greg Grunberg ("Matt Parkman") guested on an episode
Stay on target...

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 11267
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby abuss368 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:20 pm

JupiterJones wrote:
oneleaf wrote:Favorite current shows are Orphan Black, True Detective, Hannibal, Game of Thrones, and Arrow.
Previous: Breaking Bad, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica
Some great seasons, but not my favorite overall series: Boardwalk Empire, Homeland, Heroes, Lost, 24


By the way, if you're a fan of BSG, Lost, and Heroes, you should check out the current version of Hawaii Five-0.

Not because it's a "great" show (although it's a decent enough), but because it's nice to see some of the actors from those other shows:

  • Daniel Dae Kim ("Jin" from Lost) is a main character.
  • Grace Park ("Boomer/Athena" from BSG) plays his cousin, also a main character
  • Masi Oka ("Hiro" on Heroes) is a main character
  • Lost's Terry O'Quinn ("John Locke") and Jorge Garcia ("Hurley") both play recurring characters.
  • One-off guest stars from Lost include Henry Ian Cusick ("Desmond"), Tania Raymonde ("Alex"), and Jeff Fahey ("Frank Lapidus")
  • Heroes' Greg Grunberg ("Matt Parkman") guested on an episode


We always watch Hawaii Five-0. Good show.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

goalie
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:09 am

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby goalie » Wed May 07, 2014 3:32 pm

Walking Dead
Arrow
Orphan Black on BBC

Reubin
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby Reubin » Thu May 08, 2014 5:49 pm

"24" is back in all it's glory! Jack Bauer is darker than ever....as is Chloe. Love it!

User avatar
tennisplyr
Posts: 1182
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:53 pm
Location: Sarasota, FL

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby tennisplyr » Thu May 08, 2014 6:11 pm

Everyone Loves Raymond

Shark Tank
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Jerrybaby
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:36 pm

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby Jerrybaby » Fri May 23, 2014 12:47 am

FYI, Amazon Prime now has a bunch of HBO TV shows. I'm watching The Wire right now.

hoops777
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby hoops777 » Fri May 23, 2014 10:04 pm

SOOOOO thankful for my Directv Genie DVR which enables me to watch way too much tv..... In no particular order current shows....NCIS,Good Wife,Modern Family,White Collar,Game of Thrones,Scandal,Amazing Race,Survivor,Person of Interest,Arrow,Orphan Black,24,Suits,Grimm,Shark Tank,Blue Bloods,Marvel Agents of Shield,The Voice,Elementary,Americans and Homeland
Last edited by hoops777 on Mon May 26, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

User avatar
Ged
Posts: 3176
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 1:48 pm
Location: Roke

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby Ged » Fri May 23, 2014 10:17 pm

gd wrote:I found it sad to read comments scornful of the special effects on a site streaming The Outer Limits reruns; it was magnificent zeitgeist. But if you all get bored, feel free to redo Wikipedia during commercials next weekend:
http://boingboing.net/2008/04/27/death- ... itcom.html


Sacrilege. The first TV series I ever had on optical media was a collection of Outer Limits episodes on Laser Disc!

I later re-bought it on DVD. The episode titled "Demon With a Glass Hand" one of the major landmarks of TV SciFi. Written by Harlan Ellison and starring Robert Culp.
Last edited by Ged on Fri May 23, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobbyrab
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:47 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby bobbyrab » Fri May 23, 2014 10:17 pm

Fargo, the new Breaking Bad.
Remember - the tortoise DID beat the hare.

BigTom
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby BigTom » Sat May 24, 2014 6:22 am

The following (great new show , everyone should be watching )
True blood
Dexter (might be my favorite series ever )
Ink masters (reality show)
Modern family
Boardwalk empire (amazing show but tough first season setup , second season on was awesome )
The league (hilarious)

Johm221122
Posts: 4880
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 6:27 pm

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby Johm221122 » Sat May 24, 2014 8:31 am

I see Homeland mentioned a couple of times, I am watching it from Netflix.Love it :!:
John

User avatar
Frugal Al
Posts: 1657
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 10:09 am

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby Frugal Al » Sat May 24, 2014 9:40 am

Really enjoyed first and second season of The Americans. Great acting, characters, sets, story telling, but I thought the finale jumped the shark with Jared's character.

LynnC
Posts: 781
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:01 pm
Location: California

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby LynnC » Sat May 24, 2014 12:46 pm

House of Cards (Netflix)

Blue Bloods

Person of Interest

Dexter

LynnC

MoonOrb
Posts: 780
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:58 pm

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby MoonOrb » Sat May 24, 2014 5:23 pm

Okay! I've been watching a lot of TV shows on Netflix/Amazon/DVD over the last several years, and here's a list, in rough order, of shows (all dramas, no comedies or reality TV) that I think are engaging and highly worth watching (depending on your taste of course :) ) Shows at the top remain among the best I've ever seen, shows closer to the bottom are shows that greatly entertained me but I concede are probably not quite as good:

The Wire
The Sopranos
Foyle's War
The Shield
Mad Men
Friday Night Lights
Justified
The Americans
Breaking Bad
House of Cards
The West Wing
Battlestar Galactica
Boardwalk Empire
Sherlock
Jericho (Season 1)
Homeland (Seasons 1-2)
Twin Peaks
24
Prison Break (Seasons 1-2)
Rubicon
Alias
Luther
The Walking Dead

exoilman
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby exoilman » Sat May 24, 2014 6:11 pm

jginseattle wrote:I'm enjoying Fargo.


+1

rm
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:09 pm

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby rm » Mon May 26, 2014 10:12 am

house of cards - a fast paced political thriller

lampshade
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:32 pm

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby lampshade » Wed May 28, 2014 7:00 pm

The Americans
The Big Bang Theory
The Black List
Elementary
Intelligence

User avatar
htdrag11
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:22 pm

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby htdrag11 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:56 am

Game of Thrones - gore, sex and politics, what more can I guy want?
Sherlock - only 3 seasons and 9 episodes, each about 100 minutes long
True Detective - 8 episodes, very dark
Twin Peaks - Lynch's strange series
Shogun - just released in Blue-ray

User avatar
parsi1
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 8:03 am

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby parsi1 » Thu May 29, 2014 8:39 am

Any reality show related to Alaska, buying Alaska, selling Alaska, Alaska bush people, Kodiak….
I have never been there, but I love alaska, I wish it wasn't so cold :D

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 11267
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby abuss368 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:20 am

MoonOrb wrote:Okay! I've been watching a lot of TV shows on Netflix/Amazon/DVD over the last several years, and here's a list, in rough order, of shows (all dramas, no comedies or reality TV) that I think are engaging and highly worth watching (depending on your taste of course :) ) Shows at the top remain among the best I've ever seen, shows closer to the bottom are shows that greatly entertained me but I concede are probably not quite as good:

The Wire
The Sopranos
Foyle's War
The Shield
Mad Men
Friday Night Lights
Justified
The Americans
Breaking Bad
House of Cards
The West Wing
Battlestar Galactica
Boardwalk Empire
Sherlock
Jericho (Season 1)
Homeland (Seasons 1-2)
Twin Peaks
24
Prison Break (Seasons 1-2)
Rubicon
Alias
Luther
The Walking Dead


Rubicon! I remember that very short lived show from AMC!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

tony44
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 6:19 am

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby tony44 » Thu May 29, 2014 10:29 am

Maybe I missed it but no fans of the History Cannnels Vikings? This show is historically accurate, of movie quality and well acted. I highly suggest Vikings. Get the Season One DVD from the library and start from the beginning. It explodes right from the opening scene.

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 11267
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby abuss368 » Thu May 29, 2014 10:30 am

tony44 wrote:Maybe I missed it but no fans of the History Cannnels Vikings? This show is historically accurate, of movie quality and well acted. I highly suggest Vikings. Get the Season One DVD from the library and start from the beginning. It explodes right from the opening scene.


History Channel disappoints me anymore. Years ago it had real history programs. Now it has become more like MTV with reality oriented programs. To have Pawn Stars playing (which is a funny show) on Memorial Day is unfortunate.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

tony44
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 6:19 am

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby tony44 » Thu May 29, 2014 4:02 pm

abuss368 wrote:
tony44 wrote:Maybe I missed it but no fans of the History Cannnels Vikings? This show is historically accurate, of movie quality and well acted. I highly suggest Vikings. Get the Season One DVD from the library and start from the beginning. It explodes right from the opening scene.


History Channel disappoints me anymore. Years ago it had real history programs. Now it has become more like MTV with reality oriented programs. To have Pawn Stars playing (which is a funny show) on Memorial Day is unfortunate.


Agreed!
but this show is an exception

User avatar
bru
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby bru » Thu May 29, 2014 7:39 pm

Has Veep been mentioned?

Great writing and acting. And I imagine it is a fairly accurate depiction of what goes on in D.C.

Now that Selina is running for President it is even more hilarious.

User avatar
JonnyDVM
Posts: 1554
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:51 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby JonnyDVM » Sat May 31, 2014 10:23 pm

The new season of Orange is the New Black comes out next week. It's a decent show. Also I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but one of my favorite comedies is Arrested Development. Perhaps it's an acquired taste- but I and many of my friends found it consistently hilarious.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

denovo
Posts: 3027
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby denovo » Sat May 31, 2014 10:51 pm

For at least every show I'd recommend, there's a common theme. The early seasons were usually great, with a noticeable down trend in quality towards the later seasons, in some circumstances , rendering them almost unwatchable. There are a few exceptions as I'll note below.

The West Wing (Seasons 5-7 watchable, but not as good as the first 4)
Everybody Loves Raymond (one of the exceptions, remained hilarious throughout the entire series, in fact I think Season 1 was the least impressive)
House (first 4 seasons great, the rest barely watchable)
Desperate Housewives (Seasons 1-5 great, the rest stale)
How I Met your Mother (Noticeable fall in quality by the end of season 5, worst series finale in tv history)
Sopranos (consistent quality throughout the entire series)
Big Bang Theory (starting to get stale over the last 2 seasons, rehashing jokes)
The Good Wife ( I think this last season is going to be the peak because of cast changes)
Stocks (80% of portfolio): 30% US Large, 4% Mid Cap, 6% Small Cap, 20% Emerg Market, 10% Asia Developed, 10% Europe, 5% Intl Small Cap, 10% US RE, 5 % INTL RE | Bonds (20%): US Interm Bond Index

User avatar
midareff
Posts: 4659
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:43 am
Location: Biscayne Bay, South Florida

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby midareff » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:28 am

NCIS and NCIS LA, ...... and of course Jack is back for another 24

FedGuy
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:36 pm

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby FedGuy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:02 pm

midareff wrote:and of course Jack is back for another 24


Actually, he's only back for 12. He's taking a half day. (It's a 12-episode mini-season.)

I second the recommendation, though.

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 11662
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby Toons » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:39 pm

Charlie Rose,C-Span in general
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

dl7848
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:46 am

Re: TV show recommendations?

Postby dl7848 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:08 pm

midareff wrote:NCIS and NCIS LA, ...... and of course Jack is back for another 24


NCIS - the show that never dies.

I'm amazed it's still on. Not that it's not a good show, but it's longevity is unreal. The commercials all say it's the "most popular show on TV", which I think is a bit of hype...and I know nobody that watches it. But it's been on since 2003. That's quite a run.


Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 3feetpete, Bing [Bot], bluebolt, Carolina Shagger, cusetownusa, pindevil, RudyS, sc9182, WildBill and 90 guests