Outdoor fire pit? Yea or Nay

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Jerrybaby
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:36 pm

Re: Outdoor fire pit?

Post by Jerrybaby » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:32 am

shawcroft wrote:This thread is about two years old and I am curious if any of my colleagues have gotten ( or built) a fire pit since these comments were posted. One of our neighbors gave me a Frontgate catalog and the copper fire pit they offer really looks nice...just pricey.
Shawcroft
Last year I went the route of a cheaper version to see if we would really use one. Paid $100 on Amazon, and it was surprisingly very sturdy and well built. And yes we did end up using it more than I expected.

User avatar
stemikger
Posts: 4718
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:02 am

Re: Outdoor fire pit? Yea or Nay

Post by stemikger » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:29 am

I didn't read the other replies yet, so forgive me if this was covered.

My brother-in-law put one in last summer and had it lit at night. I'm not a fan. I had to take a shower before I went to bed because I smelled of the fire. The smell was in my nose and I was also coughing a lot. I rather do without it.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

likegarden
Posts: 2520
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Outdoor fire pit? Yea or Nay

Post by likegarden » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:33 am

When I want a fire in my backyard I do a barbecue. The smoke gets into my eyes, I smell afterwards, family might not like how I did the meat and how I smell. Then I have to take care of the ashes and clean up. But luckily leaves and rain water can not collect in it.

User avatar
bru
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Outdoor fire pit? Yea or Nay

Post by bru » Mon May 05, 2014 2:16 pm

New neighbor moved in last December. Hardly saw them through the long cold winter.

Yesterday a pick up was in their driveway and they were unloading deck furniture. My heart sank when I saw the fire pit set up on their deck less than 15 feet from my house. Prevailing winds will blow the smoke right at me (also noticed there is at least one cigarette smoker in the house, smelled their smoke even in winter).

In a subdivision with close together houses fire pits should not be allowed.

User avatar
LH
Posts: 5490
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:54 am

Re: Outdoor fire pit? Yea or Nay

Post by LH » Mon May 05, 2014 3:28 pm

Great.

Mine is easy to maintain, I will do nothing until it disintegrates, then pay some 100-200 bucks to remortar it

So far it's been 4 years, mine is just about a 4x4 pit of natural stone about 1-2 feet high

AUAstroMan
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Outdoor fire pit? Yea or Nay

Post by AUAstroMan » Mon May 05, 2014 6:17 pm

Obviously, as the varying posts in this thread indicate, it completely depends on how you think you'll use it, what kind of neighborhood you live in, and how friendly you are with your neighbors.

We put one in last summer - as part of a large stone patio we had built - and when it is warm we use it several times a week. We have children, and live in a neighborhood with a lot of young families, and like moths to a flame our neighbors often come join us around the fire. It has been a great way to get to know the families that live around us, and the kids love roasting marshmallows.

It is definitely not for everyone, and depending on the type of wood we are burning I sometimes need to take a shower before heading to bed because of the smoke.

If you think that you will use it, enjoy having people over, and can deal with occasionally smelling "smoky" then I very much recommend it.

Cheers,
AUAstroMan

User avatar
scubadiver
Posts: 845
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Outdoor fire pit? Yea or Nay

Post by scubadiver » Mon May 05, 2014 7:38 pm

AUAstroMan wrote:Obviously, as the varying posts in this thread indicate, it completely depends on how you think you'll use it, what kind of neighborhood you live in, and how friendly you are with your neighbors.

We put one in last summer - as part of a large stone patio we had built - and when it is warm we use it several times a week. We have children, and live in a neighborhood with a lot of young families, and like moths to a flame our neighbors often come join us around the fire. It has been a great way to get to know the families that live around us, and the kids love roasting marshmallows.

It is definitely not for everyone, and depending on the type of wood we are burning I sometimes need to take a shower before heading to bed because of the smoke.

If you think that you will use it, enjoy having people over, and can deal with occasionally smelling "smoky" then I very much recommend it.

Cheers,
AUAstroMan
We invited our neighbors over last weekend to enjoy the fire pit with us. We both have two daughters of similar ages. This was a great opportunity for our kids to play together and for the adults to get to know each other.

I can see how if the homes are in very close proximity that there could be issues, but we have sufficient acreage that this is not an issue and for us it has always been a great time with family, friends and neighbors.

westcoastinvestor
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Outdoor fire pit? Yea or Nay

Post by westcoastinvestor » Mon May 05, 2014 10:48 pm

We have one and use it about every other month. It is great with the kids for roasting hot dogs and marshmallows. We bought an inexpensive one from Home Depot. As soon as it rusts through, we will get another one. I made sure to get one that is used for both fire and for cooking. It is a little deep for charcoal, but I added sand to the bottom. I live in the SF Bay Area, which has some of the most stringent wood burning restrictions. However, fires for cooking are exempt from "Spare the Air" requirements.

musbane
Posts: 390
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:14 am

Re: Outdoor fire pit? Yea or Nay

Post by musbane » Tue May 06, 2014 4:35 am

We have had a fire pit for the past 12 years. We cook on it often and even keep supplies of different firewood (maple,alder and mesquite) on hand.

We invite our neighbors over for dinner around it several times a year and have had no complaints.

WhyNotUs
Posts: 1237
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:38 am

Re: Outdoor fire pit? Yea or Nay

Post by WhyNotUs » Tue May 06, 2014 8:13 am

We have a chiminea and use it 2-3 times a year. I enjoy those times but am glad that I do not have much into it and can get rid of it or move it as my outdoor space uses evolves.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

kaudrey
Posts: 902
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:40 pm

Re: Outdoor fire pit? Yea or Nay

Post by kaudrey » Tue May 06, 2014 8:44 am

We have a built in fire pit in our patio. We use it all the time, especially in spring and fall when the nights are cool but not freezing (in mid-Atlantic).

It would depend if you like fires and your lifestyle adn what you like to do. My DH loves building fires, and we both love sitting around it at night looking at stars drinking a glass of wine or something.

User avatar
Epsilon Delta
Posts: 7263
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: Outdoor fire pit? Yea or Nay

Post by Epsilon Delta » Tue May 06, 2014 12:09 pm

scubadiver wrote: I can see how if the homes are in very close proximity that there could be issues, but we have sufficient acreage that this is not an issue
Very close proximity and sufficient acreage are in the lungs of the beholder. I've lived in rural areas where 640 acre lots were not sufficient. Or possibly my neighbors were burning plastic and old tires.

User avatar
scubadiver
Posts: 845
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Outdoor fire pit? Yea or Nay

Post by scubadiver » Tue May 06, 2014 6:48 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:
scubadiver wrote: I can see how if the homes are in very close proximity that there could be issues, but we have sufficient acreage that this is not an issue
Very close proximity and sufficient acreage are in the lungs of the beholder. I've lived in rural areas where 640 acre lots were not sufficient. Or possibly my neighbors were burning plastic and old tires.
640 acre lot insufficient??? What the heck were they burning? Anyone know off hand how big the Chernobyl exclusion zone is?

For the record, the type of fire I'm thinking about is the type that I would let my five year old roast a marshmallow over. Perhaps you were thinking of something more like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ-fBgzwikA

BTW, for those who may be concerned, the driver escaped with only minor injuries.

Post Reply