Molar: repair or extract?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hippodrome

Molar: repair or extract?

Post by hippodrome » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:39 pm

I am due to have some work done on one of my rearmost molars. My dentist estimated that it would take him about 45 minutes to complete the work. Alternatively, he said he could quickly extract the tooth. He implied that it wasn't really that important of a tooth, and offered to extract it for no charge.

My immediate gut reaction was to keep the tooth. Why not? I've had it for years. OTOH, extraction seems so easy. Is there any reason why I shouldn't have it extracted?

hippo

FrugalInvestor

Re: Molar: repair or extract?

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:41 pm

I would save the tooth if the prognosis for it remaining for the foreseeable future is good.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:59 pm

Every dentist I've ever visited always gave the same advice - if the bone structure is in good condition, there is no need to remove it. It seems to me that your dentist is looking for an easy way out and likely a far bigger bill for extraction as opposed to repair.

My two cents - is to obtain a second opinion on the tooth from another reputable dentist. My dentist friends wouldn't be so nice - their advice has always been to "run out of the dentist office asap" if you don't receive a thorough answer that satisfies your queries. A statement like "oh you don't need it" doesn't cut the mustard unless the molar in question is a wisdom tooth that is creating other problems for your teeth or pain when chomping.

I had a root canal done last year, I had the option - extraction or root canal. I received 3 opinions, all three were against extraction even though it was the "easy out" for the dentist.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

chaz

Post by chaz » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:15 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:I would save the tooth if the prognosis for it remaining for the foreseeable future is good.
I agree.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

mackstann

Post by mackstann » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Once it's extracted, there's no getting it back... implants are complex, expensive, and not covered by insurance. I'd try to keep it as long as it's not completely toast.
It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

SteveB3005

Post by SteveB3005 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:50 pm

Seems like an odd recommendation unless the opposing molar is already gone, then it's not doing anything anyway.

Tony

Post by Tony » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:30 pm

I've always been advised to keep every tooth I possibly can. You may find you need it in the future if you lose teeth in front of it or for some other reason.
If a dentist implied it didn't matter, I'd find a dentist who knows it does matter.
Tony

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:36 pm

Medical conditions are not permitted in this forum. Refer to Forum Policy:
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I'd like to suggest you start with the Top 100 List: Health Websites You Can Trust maintained by the Consumer and Patient Health Information section of the Medical Library Association.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.