My Samsung Plasma TV quits after 13 months.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
stev

My Samsung Plasma TV quits after 13 months.

Post by stev » Mon May 28, 2012 8:38 am

What a bummer! Warranty is 12 months.
I was watching TV last night... then I heard: click click click... and TV turned off and will not turn back on.
Checked everything, batts, plug, etc. Even looked for reset button, but could not find one.

Put another flat screen TV in its place, hooked it up to my Dish Receiver and all worked fine.

Gives me second thoughts about buying another Samsung !!! :annoyed

S&L1940

Re: My Samsung Plasma TV quits after 13 months.

Post by S&L1940 » Mon May 28, 2012 8:41 am

sometimes 12 months may not be the limit

I would contact the place you bought it and call Samsung starting at the US CEO's office
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

Optimistic

Post by Optimistic » Mon May 28, 2012 8:48 am

Sorry to hear that. Many credit cards extend warranties. Do you remember which credit card you used (if you used one) to purchase the TV?

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Mon May 28, 2012 8:49 am

I'd keep trying to get it going. That doesn't sound right.

Did you buy it with a credit card that might extend the warranty? I'd still contact the manufacturer.

Good luck,

JT

Hat

Post by Hat » Mon May 28, 2012 8:50 am

Check your credit card's extended warranty coverage. Most Amex, Visa, and MC extend the manufacturer's warranty by one year.

Drain

Post by Drain » Mon May 28, 2012 8:52 am

Even if the warranty coverage isn't extended, having the TV repaired might be cost-effective. Partly depends on what you paid for the TV to begin with.
Darin

linuxuser

Post by linuxuser » Mon May 28, 2012 9:27 am

Interestingly Samsung settled(?) a class action lawsuit for their TVs recently.
http://www.samsung.com/us/capacitorsett ... ice%20.pdf
You might want to poke around on the internet.

trico

Post by trico » Mon May 28, 2012 9:28 am

Funny I bought a RCA Color Trac in 1986 and it still works like new.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Mon May 28, 2012 9:41 am

My Toshiba did the same thing. It turned out to be the power supply. Replacing that was cheaper than buying a brand new TV.

HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker » Mon May 28, 2012 9:48 am

This is why I paid $88 for an additional 3 years warranty (total 4 years).
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett

Imperabo

Post by Imperabo » Mon May 28, 2012 9:53 am

Costco gives you a 2 year warranty on all TVs. You can buy an extra 3 for $100 or less, depending on price of TV.

Also, you can return TVs to Costco for 3 months, which is great when you realize you want a bigger size.

Topic Author
stev

Post by stev » Mon May 28, 2012 10:00 am

thanks everyone.

I got the TV at a Fund Raiser/ Dinner. Paid $800 cash at the auction at event.
TV was donated by Walmart.
Walmart still sells the same TV for $479, but has been updated to an "E" in the product number instead of "D" shown on mine.
I took the cash deduction for the cash difference on my 2011 taxes.

My TV is 43 inch Samsung Plasma
Manufactured March 2011.
PN 43 D 450

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Mon May 28, 2012 10:11 am

Imperabo wrote:Costco gives you a 2 year warranty on all TVs. You can buy an extra 3 for $100 or less, depending on price of TV.

Also, you can return TVs to Costco for 3 months, which is great when you realize you want a bigger size.
Yes, but driving 400 miles round trip to Costco isn't that appealing. I don't think costco offers free shipping on TVs, but I could be wrong.
Imperabo wrote:This is why I paid $88 for an additional 3 years warranty (total 4 years).
For that to be worthwhile, you would usually have had to a specific justification to do so. For example, I recently bought a product for $1k, with a reputation for an extraordinarily high rate of failure, and paid $20 for a 2year warranty extension (to 3yrs total.) Although it was a manufacturers warranty, it includes a $20 per incident "shipping and handling" copay (which the 1year warranty doesn't), which I didn't know about (until getting the paperwork), and I'm not a huge fan of that. I might be able to get the $20 back during the 2nd year from the credit card extended warranty; I'm not sure. So, you have to be careful when buying extended warranties, even OEM.
Steelersfan wrote:My Toshiba did the same thing.
Had a Vizio with a componenet failure after 20 months - except that even after only one year, parts seemed to be unavailable (perpetually backordered.) And the part price (plus labor) was 70% of a replacement TV. Sadly, no credit card extended warranty.

Paul

beyou

Post by beyou » Mon May 28, 2012 12:34 pm

Bought two LG flat screens in last couple of years.
First/older one is still going like new.
Second/newer one had in home warranty replacement of the screen.
Still nervous wondering if the newer one will last.

ej76az

Post by ej76az » Mon May 28, 2012 3:17 pm

You should contact Samsung. High-quality manufacturers such as Samsung often provide warranty service even after the warranty has expired, as a matter of customer relations, reputation, and good will.

SnapShots

Post by SnapShots » Mon May 28, 2012 3:31 pm

Steelersfan wrote:My Toshiba did the same thing. It turned out to be the power supply. Replacing that was cheaper than buying a brand new TV.
Ditto on a Vizio. Took it miles out-of-town to get fixed. Turned out to be the power supply. :oops: New TVs don't last as long as those big ol' heavy box things. If they went out you just banged on them to get 'em working again.
the best decision many times is the hardest to do

bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 » Mon May 28, 2012 6:27 pm

SnapShots, I had forgot "bang on it" TV repair, thanks for the reminder.

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Mon May 28, 2012 6:46 pm

Our experience with Samsung flat panel monitors has been so positive that it's the primary brand we consider for televisions. We have two Samsung televisions (one LCD and one LED), Samsung microwave and a washer and dryer. We love all of them. From a marketing & engineering perspective the company just clicks with us.

All monitors have been LCD/LED-type displays and not plasma.

Just gave my dad an ancient 12" Samsung LCD computer monitor/tv combo I'd had for a decade still working like new. I remember working at work with the monitor & watching the first gulf war unfold in the nifty little picture-in-picture TV feature it has. When I got my first company laptop 7 years ago it was pressed into duty as my wife's bathroom morning TV. Now it's living it's third life in the boondocks of southern Indiana so the old man can surf and email.

'Course none of that it like the old days when you could go to the hardware store and buy the tube you needed to get the TV working right agin (sic).
Moderator Warning-Free Since 2017.

Drain

Post by Drain » Mon May 28, 2012 7:47 pm

This isn't important, but for those who say their "ancient" or "1986" TV is still working like new...no, it isn't. :) Okay, I know what you mean: the TV turns on and off reliably, it tunes well, all the features work, and so on. For the record, though, I'm pretty sure the color has faded. I think that's unavoidable. It also has little to do with your post, so no big deal.
Darin

MidnightX

Post by MidnightX » Mon May 28, 2012 9:38 pm

Samsung fixed my out of warranty tv and I did not have proof that I purchased it. I believe they go by the date it was manufactured and then add a reasonable time in which it would have been sold and, therefore, didn't need the receipt. Be prepared to give them the model number and serial number when you call.

[Now to break my new wanna-be-like-Chaz resolution.] I approached the call by asking them, if I turn on the tv and I hear the sound but no picture, does that mean it's broke or is there a button I pushed in error. Before I knew it, they had scheduled an appointment to come to my home and replaced the entire guts of the tv. So Sansung is okay in my books. [Well, I'm getting better but still can't say anything in ten words or less. :) ]

magellan

Post by magellan » Tue May 29, 2012 8:19 am

linuxuser wrote:Interestingly Samsung settled(?) a class action lawsuit for their TVs recently.
http://www.samsung.com/us/capacitorsett ... ice%20.pdf
You might want to poke around on the internet.
Thanks for that link. I've known about this issue for a while, but didn't hear of the settlement. As it happens, I have one of the covered models, but I've been just living with it. The biggest problem is that it takes the TV 3-5 minutes to turn on. DW jokes that we need to 'preheat' the TV before we can watch a show. Based on info online, I planned to wait for the TV to die completely, then I'd perform a do-it-yourself repair.

As for Samsung, IMO this is a brand-killer moment for them where they revealed their true attitude toward quality and fair-play. The Internet has been aflutter with info on this problem since 2009, including several photos and videos of the bulging/leaking capacitors. There's absolutely zero doubt in my mind that this is a design defect and several EEs have commented on exactly what they got wrong (wrong sized capacitors). Packaged do-it-yourself capacitor replacement kits are available from third parties that use properly sized capacitors. Yes, there's a whole market for repair kits to fix a design problem that the manufacturer refuses to acknowledge.

Samsung dragged their feet for 4 years on this problem, repeatedly turning away customers with slightly out of warranty units. For a while, they quietly repaired units with a stealth warranty extension, but only for customers that made a stink. Later, as repair costs mounted, they limited repairs to 2 years past the original warranty expiration. Even when they did cover repairs, folks with 37" and smaller units had to pay to have their TVs shipped for service. This is for a documented design flaw that isn't seriously disputed, except by Samsung's legal team. Is it ok if for a company to leave customers stuck with a known design defect on an expensive TV that's nearly guaranteed to flare up and kill the product within 4-5 years?

After watching Samsung's response to this, I've decided that they're not a company I'll be quick to trust again. Maybe all manufacturers are the same, but I specifically chose Samsung over cheaper no-name brands because I wanted better quality and a company that would stand behind their product. I was wrong about Samsung.

Jim

linuxuser

Post by linuxuser » Tue May 29, 2012 8:40 am

Bulging/leaking capacitors can be a design flaw i.e. using the wrong value chosen by the entineer in the initial design or a manufacturing flaw i.e. the capacitors were of correct values but the materials in the manufacture were wrong.

A few years back, Dell had similar problems with capacitors on their PC motherboards, and it reportedly was the latter.

Last year I replaced a bulging cap on the PC board of a DVD player I bought 10 years ago. Fortunately it wasn't surface mount, so I was able to desolder and remove it and bought a replacement on eBay.

In my 2004 Honda Accord there apparently was a "recall" on the radio. Unfortunately, even though my radio displayed the same symptoms, Honda wouldn't repair mine since it was (a) not part of the recall and (b) it was beyond the extended warranty date.

Jay69

Post by Jay69 » Wed May 30, 2012 12:11 pm

In most cases new/old tv's or for that matter many devices its the power supply. Many flat screens are getting to the point its not worth fixing them unless your a DIY type of person. I find if I can fix the power supply at the board level its worth my time. The last power supply I priced for my TV was around $350 for new or $250 for a referb.
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein

samwer1

Post by samwer1 » Thu May 31, 2012 1:46 am

My Videocon also did the same thing. But I was saved from spending extra money because I had taken an extended warranty for 3 years.
But this is really unfair and seems a trick to dupe people having 1 year warranty for their products. :| :annoyed

tjstogner

Post by tjstogner » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:16 am

The click click is definitely the power supply. Very common, and very unfortunate. If you used a credit card, a lot of times they double the manufacturers warranty. I would look into it. I thought it was only with AMEX, but it happens to also be that way with my VISA. Good luck

TT

Post by TT » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:14 am

Samsung TV's are Junk