Anti-Spyware & Anti-Virus Program

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
FlyHi

Anti-Spyware & Anti-Virus Program

Post by FlyHi » Sun May 27, 2012 11:18 am

Does anyone know of a good Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware program (free or otherwise).
“If you want to feel rich, just count the things you have that money can't buy”

Sidney

Re: Anti-Spyware & Anti-Virus Program

Post by Sidney » Sun May 27, 2012 11:20 am

Microsoft Security Essentials (Anti-Virus)
Malewarebytes (Anti-Spyware)

are two that I use.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sun May 27, 2012 11:28 am

Top from Consumer Reports

Avira Free Antivirus see here --- 62
AVG Anti-Virus Free 2012 see here --- 58
Avast! Free Antivirus see here --- 57
Microsoft Security Essentials

You should have ONLY ONE anti virus, but anti malware you should have at least one in addition to the antivirus. I
use Malwarebytes.

for pay suites here are their recomendations
this is for 3 users
plus if you look online you can usually find coupons
to get 40-60% off.

I currently use two anti virus (only one is active, the other does a manual weekly scan) plus two anti spyware. Malwarebytes and super antispyware.
Avira Internet Security 2012 $90 66
G Data Internet Security 2012 $45 65
Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 $80 63
ESET Smart Security 5 $80 63
BitDefender Internet Security 2012e $70 59
Avast! Internet Security 6 $70 58
AVG Internet Security 2012 $70 56
Norton Internet Security 2012 $70 55

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Sun May 27, 2012 11:49 am

Sidney wrote:Microsoft Security Essentials (Anti-Virus)

are two that I use.

I use these two and Spybot Search and Destroy. MSE is available only on newer systems (Windows 7), right? I did not have it on my previous XP system.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun May 27, 2012 11:51 am

FlyHi wrote:Does anyone know of a good Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware program (free or otherwise).

As others have said Microsoft Security Essentials

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... essentials

In conjunction with Malwarebytes(FREE version)

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

5 computers those are the only two I use

Keep on Truckin :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

chaz

Post by chaz » Sun May 27, 2012 11:53 am

Toons wrote:
FlyHi wrote:Does anyone know of a good Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware program (free or otherwise).

As others have said Microsoft Security Essentials

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... essentials

In conjunction with Malwarebytes(FREE version)

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

Keep on Truckin :happy

These are what I use also.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Sun May 27, 2012 11:55 am

scrabbler1 wrote:
Sidney wrote:Microsoft Security Essentials (Anti-Virus)

are two that I use.

I use these two and Spybot Search and Destroy. MSE is available only on newer systems (Windows 7), right? I did not have it on my previous XP system.

I have used it on XP, Vista and W7.

Firewood42

Post by Firewood42 » Mon May 28, 2012 2:59 pm

Add Spybot to Malware Bytes and AVG.

HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker » Mon May 28, 2012 3:08 pm

Avast.

It's free.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett

tc101

Post by tc101 » Mon May 28, 2012 3:30 pm

I have the paid version of F-Secure which I got when I bought my win 7 computer. It expires in 20 days and I want to switch to Microsoft Security Essentials (Anti-Virus) and
Malewarebytes (Anti-Spyware). I know there can be a problem if you are running more than one thing at a time. What is the best process for shutting down F-Secure and starting up the other two?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

archbish99

Post by archbish99 » Mon May 28, 2012 4:04 pm

tc101 wrote:I have the paid version of F-Secure which I got when I bought my win 7 computer. It expires in 20 days and I want to switch to Microsoft Security Essentials (Anti-Virus) and
Malewarebytes (Anti-Spyware). I know there can be a problem if you are running more than one thing at a time. What is the best process for shutting down F-Secure and starting up the other two?

Download Security Essentials, uninstall F-Secure, then install Security Essentials. Don't use the computer to browse the web or read e-mail during the hand-off.

Personally, I don't see a point to multiple anti-malware programs either, since Security Essentials does both, but to each their own....
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Mon May 28, 2012 4:16 pm

archbish99 wrote:
tc101 wrote:I have the paid version of F-Secure which I got when I bought my win 7 computer. It expires in 20 days and I want to switch to Microsoft Security Essentials (Anti-Virus) and

Download Security Essentials, uninstall F-Secure, then install Security Essentials. Don't use the computer to browse the web or read e-mail during the hand-off.

Personally, I don't see a point to multiple anti-malware programs either, since Security Essentials does both, but to each their own....

Because no one package catches everything. I run multiple consecutive scans overnight, once a week. I have things caught, usually not a high level risk, but caught by different programs.
So, more than one active anti virus is a "no-no". But more packages, especially malware, to me is a definite.

dickenjb

Post by dickenjb » Mon May 28, 2012 4:18 pm

I use AVG free and am very happy with it. It caught a virus that Norton had missed.

k-slice

Post by k-slice » Mon May 28, 2012 5:45 pm

Yeah, 1. buy a mac 2. run your pc on ubuntu linux, or linuxmint, etc. instead.
Google runs desktops on ubuntu at their headquarters. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for you.

lwfitzge

Post by lwfitzge » Mon May 28, 2012 5:49 pm

kimboslice wrote:Yeah, 1. buy a mac 2. run your pc on ubuntu linux, or linuxmint, etc. instead.
Google runs desktops on ubuntu at their headquarters. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for you.

+1

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Mon May 28, 2012 6:27 pm

I had McAfee Security and Anti-virus. Then I read their sweep findings of 5 trojans, and they did not do anything about it. I also have Spysweeper and Window Wash which did not discover that malware. Then my computer had problems.
The Computer Geek said I had malware and several viruses and cleaned my computer. He gave me Malware bytes and avast!Free Antivirus, called them the best and said that Spysweeper is one of the best too and I should keep it. I did not download McAfee again!

bluelight

Post by bluelight » Mon May 28, 2012 8:01 pm

We have used the free versions of Avast anti-virus and Spybot Search and Destroy for years. Both are excellent products.

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Mon May 28, 2012 8:21 pm

Rob5TCP wrote:Because no one package catches everything. I run multiple consecutive scans overnight, once a week. I have things caught, usually not a high level risk, but caught by different programs.
So, more than one active anti virus is a "no-no". But more packages, especially malware, to me is a definite.

+1.

This was crucial back in 2004 when I first learned about spyware - my system was infected with many pests which were slowing down my system. I used Spybot S&D as well as Webroot (Spysweeper, free for a while with my ISP) to clean out all the pests. After I ran one, the second one found some more things.

My friend has Spybot and Malwarebytes and they both found a bunch of things just last week when we ran the scans. His antivirus (Symantec) found some more things so it was a triple play.

ejvyas

Post by ejvyas » Tue May 29, 2012 4:11 am

Totally depends on your OS and sys req

drewstealth

Post by drewstealth » Tue May 29, 2012 5:59 pm

Well I clean up virus infections for a living. So here is my suggestion.

If you have a relatively fast computer(not a p4 or lousy single core CPU) and want something free I would use either Free AVG 2012 or Avast, Avira is good also but has a lot of false positives. If your computer isn't the fastest or you want something that slows the computer down the least go with Microsoft Security Essentials. All 3 work pretty well.

If your looking for the best protection and are willing to pay $40-50 a year I would suggest Norton AV 2012. Not Internet security or 360, just the AV with spyware protection. IMO it does the best at protecting the computer and getting rid of viruses, the nice thing is it checks for updates every 15 minutes so you constantly up to date. If you do not like Norton then I would get Kaspersky AV 2012. They are both very good but I just prefer Norton as that's what we use to get rid of all the nasty Viruses.

Lastly if you want a little more protection. Download Malwarebytes, the free version is only an on-demand scan type of deal which I rather have. It's the best at removing Malware/Spyware/Adware that the AV software programs aren't looking for.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue May 29, 2012 6:02 pm

Don't forget SUPERAntiSpyware free edition.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

drewstealth

Post by drewstealth » Tue May 29, 2012 6:09 pm

yes SuperAntiSpyware free is very nice as well.

bru

Post by bru » Tue May 29, 2012 6:33 pm

drewstealth wrote:If you do not like Norton then I would get Kaspersky AV 2012. They are both very good but I just prefer Norton as that's what we use to get rid of all the nasty Viruses.

While not exactly the same Kaspersky has a free scanner that can be run to clean up an infected system. Of course it's better to not get infected in the first place but if one doesn't want to pay there are several on demand scanners, Bit Defender, ESET, Hitman Pro, TDSSKiller (another Kaspersky product) to name a few. Of course I'm not saying to not use an AV, just some additional options if you get in to trouble and don't want to pay.

FWIW I use MSE for real time AV. Also Malwarebytes (On Demand), SAS (On Demand) , SpywareBlaster and CCleaner. So far so good (knocking wood).

Saphomd

Post by Saphomd » Wed May 30, 2012 10:13 am

My HP Pavillion crashed every 2 minutes I was online. I took it to Officemax where a free diagnostic and cleaning was done (Bestbuy wanted to charge me $75 for a diagnostic).Anyway they installed a "PC Protection" which provides comprehensive restoration services, security checks, and malware and spyware removal, plus one year of technical support. It cost me $100, but everything works beautiful now. After one year, I was instructed to buy it again or just pay $40 for the one year Macafee.

I dont know how this compares to Norton, Avast, or the other recommendations. :|

tc101

Post by tc101 » Wed May 30, 2012 12:07 pm

This review of free anti virus software in PC magazine doesn't even mention MS Security Essentials.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372369,00.asp

Any idea why?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

serocs

Post by serocs » Wed May 30, 2012 1:51 pm

I do malware research for a living and have to say that the particular virus scanner you use is somewhat inconsequential. Virus scanners only catch ~70% of infections (though this increases another 10% or so 6 months after the virus is in the wild). As others have said, you shouldn't have more than one virus scanner on your system, but any of the big names will work fine (MSE included).

The point is to make sure you have SOME virus scanner and not to open suspicious emails.

jpecci

Post by jpecci » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:53 am

I was told by our Comcast tech not to put an anti-virus on our PC because the Comcast service has its own antivirus. Told a new one would conflict. When I painstakingly uninstalled Norton the machine ran a lot better. I have no independent confirmation of the Comcast techs claim but I am going with it for now.

FlyHi

Post by FlyHi » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:51 pm

I downloaded both Malwarebytes & Microsoft Security Essentials on both mine and my partner's computers and they both have been running much slower since then.
“If you want to feel rich, just count the things you have that money can't buy”

tc101

Post by tc101 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:40 am

MS Security Essentials wants to know if I have Win 7 32-bit or 64-bit. How do I know which I have?

bru

Post by bru » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:46 am

Click the Start Orb, right click Computer, select Properties and under System it should list System Type. It will say either 32 or 64-bit Operating System.

tc101

Post by tc101 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:48 am

Thanks for the info. It is 64-bit.

tc101

Post by tc101 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:50 am

I was given these instructions a while back about how to make the transition from F-Secure to MS Security Essentials.

Is there any way to do this so I keep F-Secure just in case I ever want to use it again?

chaz

Post by chaz » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:09 pm

FlyHi wrote:I downloaded both Malwarebytes & Microsoft Security Essentials on both mine and my partner's computers and they both have been running much slower since then.

those didn't slow mine down. Maybe something else is slowing yours.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

tc101

Post by tc101 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:43 pm

I ran the full scan with MS Security essentials. It found this malware that my previous security software missed

http://www.microsoft.com/security/porta ... 2147647429

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:07 am

chaz wrote:
FlyHi wrote:I downloaded both Malwarebytes & Microsoft Security Essentials on both mine and my partner's computers and they both have been running much slower since then.

those didn't slow mine down. Maybe something else is slowing yours.

Mine doesn't slow things down either. MSE takes about 30 seconds to run once per day. I run Malwarebytes weekly.