visiting Nashville TN - any advice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sanfran2012

visiting Nashville TN - any advice

Post by sanfran2012 » Thu May 17, 2012 6:29 pm

my family and i will be spending a weekend in nashville at the end of the month... anybody from nashville? favorite places to eat? things to do ? (we have 2 small kids, 1 teenager)....

edit

more info: we are staying in a small town outside of nashville

will have rental car

travelling with two 4 year olds and a 15 year old

whenever we travel we really like to try the "local" food favorites - hopefully not the tourist restaurants

will probably have only one afternoon and evening in nashville proper..

thanks
thanks
Last edited by sanfran2012 on Sat May 19, 2012 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

gkaplan

Re: visiting Nashville TN - any advice

Post by gkaplan » Thu May 17, 2012 6:44 pm

Grand Ole Opry

Hermitage (Andrew Jackson's home)
Gordon

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Thu May 17, 2012 6:46 pm

I live in Nashville. What sort of things are you interested in? We have a world class symphony, some good jazz spots, and a some nice art museums. But we also have a lot of country music and honky-tonks. :-)

What type of food are you looking for? "Southern" cuisine? Ethnic food? Gourmet? A wide variety available here.

JJ
Stay on target...

rec7

Post by rec7 » Thu May 17, 2012 7:46 pm

Go see Dave Ramsey do his talk show he is great.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

rdmayo21

Post by rdmayo21 » Thu May 17, 2012 8:34 pm

Opryland Hotel is actually really cool to visit :D

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Thu May 17, 2012 8:43 pm

But don't park at the Opryland Hotel. Instead take advantage of free parking at the large shopping mall next to the hotel and park there and walk five minutes to the hotel. Hotel charges $16 just to park in their lots. :annoyed
Tom D.

Nukeboilermaker

Post by Nukeboilermaker » Fri May 18, 2012 12:14 am

rec7 wrote:Go see Dave Ramsey do his talk show he is great.
I want to go visit Nashville and do a 1 year after debt free update on how much one can accumulate living within their means.

xerty24

Post by xerty24 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:15 am

Don't carry much cash with you - the TN cops have been seizing it from innocent non-residents under flimsy-but-legal grounds. This guy lost over $20k and didn't get it back til the media got involved.

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/18241 ... rofit-case

Others have had to "settle" for giving up a few thousand in extortion payments, er, settlement fees to recover their own property.
No excuses, no regrets.

HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker » Fri May 18, 2012 6:52 am

xerty24 wrote:Don't carry much cash with you - the TN cops have been seizing it from innocent non-residents under flimsy-but-legal grounds. This guy lost over $20k and didn't get it back til the media got involved.

Others have had to "settle" for giving up a few thousand in extortion payments, er, settlement fees to recover their own property.
Unbelievable!
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett

billw

Post by billw » Fri May 18, 2012 8:02 am

TN/Nashville has high sale tax.

Second recommendation about parking fee's.

Lots of tour programs in area.

TnGuy

Post by TnGuy » Fri May 18, 2012 8:05 am

You and your family may enjoy a visit The Parthenon.

A wonderful place to have breakfast or brunch is the Pancake Pantry. It's a bit pricey compared to your basic greasy spoon, but the food is very good. Be prepared to wait in line on the weekends, though - especially in the 8-11AM range.

And if you visit downtown and are in the mood, Jack's Bar-B-Que is always a popular spot for such fare.

David
Last edited by TnGuy on Fri May 18, 2012 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Fri May 18, 2012 8:05 am

HardKnocker wrote:
xerty24 wrote:Don't carry much cash with you - the TN cops have been seizing it from innocent non-residents under flimsy-but-legal grounds. This guy lost over $20k and didn't get it back til the media got involved.

Unbelievable!
Not right, but not unbelieveable. In many states, carrying much less than that carries with it a presumption of illegal drug activity.

OP, let us know what kind of things you'd like to do and we can give you some suggestions.

JT

rec7

Post by rec7 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:36 am

[quote="xerty24"]Don't carry much cash with you - the TN cops have been seizing it from innocent non-residents under flimsy-but-legal grounds. This guy lost over $20k and didn't get it back til the media got involved.

Others have had to "settle" for giving up a few thousand in extortion payments, er, settlement fees to recover their own property.[/quote]

I have heard this happening is some other states too. I guess if the police budget is low and your wallet is fat that is not a good combo.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

Soonerintn

Post by Soonerintn » Fri May 18, 2012 9:18 am

billw wrote:TN/Nashville has high sale tax.

Second recommendation about parking fee's.

Lots of tour programs in area.
But we don't have an income tax.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:47 am

Sanfran2012,

Where are you staying, will you have an automobile to tour the area, what are your tastes and budget in food, etc.? We could give you some better ideas as mentioned by JupiterJones if we had more information.
Tom D.

redarmymembe

Post by redarmymembe » Fri May 18, 2012 11:49 am

Loveless cafe, very busy on weekend but well worth the wait.

Be sure and visit the store and buy some ham and bacon to take home.

HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker » Fri May 18, 2012 11:54 am

If you travel in Tennessee with a large credit line do they confiscate your credit cards until you make a payoff?

"Son, you can have your Amex card back for a $2,000 fee, charged to your card of course."
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett

sanfran2012

Post by sanfran2012 » Sat May 19, 2012 3:52 am

thanks for the advice

more info: we are staying in a small town outside of nashville

will have rental car

travelling with two 4 year olds and a 15 year old

whenever we travel we really like to try the "local" food favorites - hopefully not the tourist restaurants

will probably have only one afternoon and evening in nashville proper..

thanks

22twain

Post by 22twain » Sat May 19, 2012 2:39 pm

sanfran2012 wrote:whenever we travel we really like to try the "local" food favorites - hopefully not the tourist restaurants
This may not qualify as "local" food, but when I happened to stay overnight near Nashville a couple of years ago, I stumbled upon a Bosnian restaurant near my motel: the Cafe Bosna, on Old Hickory Blvd. just north of Exit 221 on I-40, east of downtown. It's tucked in a little shopping center at the corner of Old Hickory and Central Pike.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Mon May 21, 2012 2:45 pm

sanfran2012 wrote: whenever we travel we really like to try the "local" food favorites - hopefully not the tourist restaurants
Well, Pancake Pantry and the Loveless are going to be chock-full-o-tourists. The food's good, but prepare for lines.

Other suggestions...

Monell's -- I prefer the Germantown location. Great southern food for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. So it's a perfect substititue (or addition) to Loveless or Pancake Pantry. You sit at a big table with complete strangers and pass bowls of food around. I'm full just thinking about the place.

The Pfunky Griddle -- The tables have griddles built into the middle of them. They bring out batter and toppings, and you make your own pancakes. If I were a four-year-old, I'd think this was the best place ever. :D

Fido's -- Right down from the Pancake Pantry, so it's a good "plan B" if the line for pancakes is too long. (The food is arguably better too.) Really, the whole Hillsboro Village area is worth a look-see. Neat little shops, restaurants, and even a historic movie theater. Plus a nearby park with a dragon!

Prince's Hot Chicken -- I've never had Nashville's famous "hot chicken" (I'm a vegetarian), but it's one of those local food things that the adults and teenager are probably going to want to try (too hot for the young'uns). There are several places to get it, but Prince's is one of the first and most authentic. The neighborhood can be sketchy, and the wait might be long, but that's all part of the experience.

Bobbie's Dairy Dip -- An old-school, 50s drive-in type of place. Some of the best soft-serve ice cream you'll ever have. Burgers and that sort of thing too.

There tons of what we call "meat-and-threes" in Nashville that you can try to get some of the local food vibe. Arnold's is probably the best, but it gets crowded. You could also hit Swett's, Sylvan Park, or the Pie Wagon, to name a few.

That should get you started. Enjoy your visit!

JJ
Stay on target...

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Mon May 21, 2012 3:04 pm

I second many of JJ's recommendations. Other local stops are:

Loveless Cafe
Rotier's
Brown's Diner
Elliston Place Soda Shop
Margot's Cafe
The Patterson House (drinks for Mom and Dad, although I understand they have a restaurant now, too. I'd check ahead to see if kids would be allowed in the restaurant)
Mad Platters
Germantown Cafe
If you try Jack's Barbacue, I understand the Hermitage location is the one to go to.

Other things to do:

Bicentennial Mall and Farmer's Market

The Parthenon is good, but seasonal. Call ahead to see if it's open.

The Frist

Country Music Hall of Fame

There's a bunch of things I'm sure we've all forgotten, but this gives you a good place to start investigating.

Good luck,

JT