Does anyone own a Hyundai?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
veritas10

Does anyone own a Hyundai?

Post by veritas10 » Mon May 07, 2012 6:09 pm

Sadly, my 1996 Volvo appears to be on its death bed, so I'm in the market for a used (and possibly certified) car. Haven't heard much about Hyundais but, from what little I have heard, they are reliable and safe. Also, I understand that new models come with a 10-yr/100k warranty. For those of you who do own a Hyundai, what have your experiences been?

Thanks very much.

BigD53

Re: Does anyone own a Hyundai?

Post by BigD53 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:06 pm

See if you can find a copy of the Consumer Reports annual auto review (March or April issue?) It's packed with good information on the reliability and safety of new & used cars. Hyundai's usually receive good ratings.

I was looking at used cars on the Hertz rental car sales website. You can find a few 2011's with only 22,000 miles or so. And I saw 2011 Hyundais's at my local Enterprise rental car sales lot with less than 25,000 miles.

bru

Post by bru » Mon May 07, 2012 7:21 pm

After only owning Honda vehicles for over 20 years we purchased a 2012 Hyundai Elantra in March. I know another post said that the looks of a vehicle shouldn't matter, but c'mon it has to have some impact on purchasing decisions and we loved how the Hyundai looked in comparison to the Civic and other compacts.

Of course the fact that it is rated 40 mpg highway, has a six speed auto tranny, the 10 year warranty, etc. and the value (purchase price of barely $18K) made it a slam dunk purchase.

Hyundais do depreciate a bit more than Hondas and Toyotas so maybe you can find a decent deal on a used one but keep in mind seven of their models are new in the last 24 months. So if you want the up to date technology it may make sense to buy new.

If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer.
Last edited by bru on Mon May 07, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Saphomd

Post by Saphomd » Mon May 07, 2012 7:21 pm

I bought a 2012 Hyundai Accent 3 months ago. I have no complaints at all so far and love that it gets up to 40 mpg on the freeway. Actually last weekend on my way to Napa, it registered 44 mpg. Hopefully there wont be any recalls, and I hope to keep it at least 10 years. :beer

veritas10

Post by veritas10 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:43 pm

BigD53 wrote:See if you can find a copy of the Consumer Reports annual auto review (March or April issue?) It's packed with good information on the reliability and safety of new & used cars. Hyundai's usually receive good ratings.

I was looking at used cars on the Hertz rental car sales website. You can find a few 2011's with only 22,000 miles or so. And I saw 2011 Hyundais's at my local Enterprise rental car sales lot with less than 25,000 miles.
Thanks to all for your responses. Will find the Consumer Reports annual auto review edition. Regarding potentially buying from a car-rental company, aren't you concerned about the way those cars are treated by renters? I've always shied away from used cars that previously were owned by the rental agencies, but maybe you know something that I don't. Would think that buying a car that's rolling off of a three-year lease would be less risky.

scubadiver

Post by scubadiver » Mon May 07, 2012 7:45 pm

Bought a new 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe for the DW. We only have 36K miles on it, but so far it has been a great purchase.

Quasimodo

Post by Quasimodo » Mon May 07, 2012 8:23 pm

We bought a used 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe in 2006 and have been happy with the reliability and comfortable ride.

John
Many wealthy people are little more than janitors of their possessions. | | Frank Lloyd Wright, architect (1867-1959)

Dave76

Post by Dave76 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:47 pm

I have a 2012 Elantra Touring.

Problems:

Problem 1 -- Creaking noises coming from rear and side doors.
Repair -- Foam placed in sides and rear. Fixed.

Problem 2 -- Fuel door wouldn't open.
Repair -- Dealership replaced parts on inside of fuel door and latch 3 times; eventually had to remove rocker panels and carpet to replace wiring. Dealership had car 2 days. 5 trips to dealership for this one. Experienced problem in cold weather, so not sure it if it has been fixed. I'll know next winter...

Problem 3 -- Internal part on tail lens piece came loose, fell down.
Repair -- Entire lens replaced. Fixed.

Dave76

Post by Dave76 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:04 pm

BigD53 wrote:
Fleet cars are abused. Having worked for two rental car companies, I've seen it all. Drag races, neutral dropping, brake-stands. Customers smoke pot in the cars, leave needles in the cars...you name it...

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Mon May 07, 2012 9:07 pm

We have a 2012 Elantra, but only 5mo old, 5k miles. No issues so far. With Elantras, you may get a korean or alabama-built car, which have slightly different features. The main disappointment so far was lack of factory spare tire option. The interior does have some cheap-ish aspects to it. Recently I rented an almost identically equipped Focus, which is a very similar car. Overall I preferred the Elantra, but both are nice cars.

Paul

investorjunkie

Post by investorjunkie » Mon May 07, 2012 9:44 pm

I have a 2010 Genesis and love the car for the price.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:28 pm

bru wrote:After only owning Honda vehicles for over 20 years we purchased a 2012 Hyundai Elantra in March. I know another post said that the looks of a vehicle shouldn't matter, but c'mon it has to have some impact on purchasing decisions and we loved how the Hyundai looked in comparison to the Civic and other compacts.

Of course the fact that it is rated 40 mpg highway, has a six speed auto tranny, the 10 year warranty, etc. and the value (purchase price of barely $18K) made it a slam dunk purchase.

Hyundais do depreciate a bit more than Hondas and Toyotas so maybe you can find a decent deal on a used one but keep in mind seven of their models are new in the last 24 months. So if you want the up to date technology it may make sense to buy new.

EDMUNDS.COM forums has a lot of complaints of people not getting anywhere 40 MPG Highway as claimed. Are you?

Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn » Mon May 07, 2012 10:39 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
bru wrote:After only owning Honda vehicles for over 20 years we purchased a 2012 Hyundai Elantra in March. I know another post said that the looks of a vehicle shouldn't matter, but c'mon it has to have some impact on purchasing decisions and we loved how the Hyundai looked in comparison to the Civic and other compacts.

EDMUNDS.COM forums has a lot of complaints of people not getting anywhere 40 MPG Highway as claimed. Are you?
I wonder if they use 100% gasoline when they do those MPG tests. If you are using gas with 10% ethanol in the car, the mileage will go down.
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:48 pm

This wasn't any one test. It was a compilation of posts from various owners all over.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Mon May 07, 2012 10:56 pm

My first (and only) new car I ever bought was a 1994 Hyundai Excel.

Never had a single problem with it. Bought it new for $7000, sold it 6 years later (and 100,000 miles) to a college kid for $1000.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue May 08, 2012 4:02 am

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct ... x=.f24916b

Here is the EDMUNDS thread with multiple posters from all over complaining about the MPGs being way below the EPA sticker. Even people who actually got the EPA numbers on prior older model Elantras.

orlandoman

Post by orlandoman » Tue May 08, 2012 8:04 am

Have a 2003 Santa Fe, 106,000, bought new. Great vehicle & would buy a Hyundai again without a 2nd thought!
"Not everything you read on the Internet is true", Abraham Lincoln

Kika_In_DC

Post by Kika_In_DC » Tue May 08, 2012 8:21 am

I bought an Accent in 2002, sold in 2006 and it was in perfect condition - never had any issues even though my commute was 3 hours long 5 days a week. I bought a Tucson in 2006 and it has 60k miles on it now. It's just starting to show minor issues (radio stopped working, door handle broke, battery needs replacement, etc) but I suppose any car with this mileage with require the same type of repairs. My husband bought an Elantra in 2002 when I bought my Accent. I am not very happy with the performance and issues but I believe my husband caused them :annoyed Anyway, they are very reasonably priced plus they have a lot of items standard that other makers have as optional. My only complaint is how loud it's when you are driving in a highway and suspension could be a bit better.

MDfive21

Post by MDfive21 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:37 am

i bought a used 2007 sonata in 2008. it had ~20K miles on it at the time and carfax said it had been a rental. it now has 66K miles and i have paid $0 for maintenance other than regular oil changes etc.

the only complaint i have is the creaky dash, but that is probably because it was rear-ended and things tend to shift a little or loosen up when a car has been in an accident. it's really not even that bad.

i get 20-25 mpg in the city and i don't drive like a boglehead. i get 35ish on the highway going 65-75 mph.

i would definitely buy this car again.

compounder

Post by compounder » Tue May 08, 2012 10:54 am

We recently (reluctantly) traded in our 2000 Volvo S-80t for the '12 Sonata. Can't express enough how much we love the new car! It was a fantastic decision. The warranty is phenomenal. http://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance/ame ... ranty.aspx Great deal on the price. The features and safety are remarkable. Highly recommend.

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Tue May 08, 2012 11:44 am

Leesbro63 wrote:http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct ... x=.f24916b

Here is the EDMUNDS thread with multiple posters from all over complaining about the MPGs being way below the EPA sticker. Even people who actually got the EPA numbers on prior older model Elantras.
And the fuelly.com numbers back that up too http://www.fuelly.com/car/hyundai/elantra/2012 . The common theory is that they're trying to build an efficiency curve around the EPA tests, but I have no idea. A lot of people also defend the Hyundais and say they get great mileage, but there are certainly more complaints than the average high mileage subcompact.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:15 pm

I think the issue isn't that the car gets bad mileage...actually the numbers are similar to Corolla and Civic, Elantra's main competitors. The issue is that the number is not the EXPECTED mileage. I guess it proves that there is no free lunch.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Tue May 08, 2012 12:51 pm

Be aware the 10 year/100k warranty only applies to the first owner. Warranty drops to 5 year/60k for second owners.
We have an 09 Hyundai Sonata GLS. When DW drives it, she gets the advertised 25 mpg mixed. When I drive it, I get 33+ mpg higher than the EPA's 32 hwy but I hypermile. One of the trunk struts broke after 1 year of ownership and was replaced under warranty. Power steering started making swishing sounds at 30k miles. But I don't think I would have noticed if the car wasn't so eerily quiet. The car is smooth and reasonably reliable. AC blows cold and outward visibility is excellent. The trunk is enormous. It's absolutely no fun to drive. I'd much rather have an Accord with it's more engaging driving experience but it would have cost $3k over the Sonata. Overall, I'm satisfied with the purchase but appalled at its resale value. It's worth $10-11k with 36k miles on it. My less expensive when new Civic was worth $13-$14K with this many miles. I'm going to keep a it while longer so it's no big deal but I think my next Hyundai will be used despite the shorter warranty.

BigD53

Post by BigD53 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Dave76 wrote: Fleet cars are abused. Having worked for two rental car companies, I've seen it all. Drag races, neutral dropping, brake-stands. Customers smoke pot in the cars, leave needles in the cars...you name it...
Thanks, Dave. I would definitely only buy one with low mileage, and thoroughly drive-test it first. Hertz allows you to drive the car for 3 days, and if you decide to buy it, they refund the rental fee. I'm sure all the cars are not as abused as you suggested.

camden

Post by camden » Tue May 08, 2012 1:59 pm

I have a 2010 Genesis coupe, with 30,000 miles now. Like it a lot. No problems at all.

Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn » Tue May 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:I think the issue isn't that the car gets bad mileage...actually the numbers are similar to Corolla and Civic, Elantra's main competitors. The issue is that the number is not the EXPECTED mileage. I guess it proves that there is no free lunch.
It's not just Hyundai. Honda was sued for something similar.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46228337/ns ... 6lyquhYu4E

"The Southern California owner of a Honda hybrid car won her unusual small-claims court lawsuit against the automaker over the vehicle's failure to deliver its stated fuel economy.
Los Angeles Superior Court Commissioner Douglas Carnahan awarded Heather Peters $9,867 on Wednesday, saying Honda did mislead her about the expected mileage."

The EPA tests are done with 100% gas, not the E10 most of us use. So, that would lower your actual MPG vs the EPA numbers.
From the US Dept of energy:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/info.shtml

The EPA fuel economy tests use 100 percent gasoline, and no adjustments are made to account for ethanol. Most conventional vehicles using E10 (10 percent ethanol) will experience a 3 to 4 percent reduction in fuel economy.
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:34 pm

The Honda issue is only about Hybrids. Which I guess is the same issue, but perhaps slightly different in that with the hybrid, you are paying a premium SPECIFICALLY to get better mileage vs the same (or similar) car. It would appear that while non-hybrid Elantra owners are indeed damaged if the car gets less mileage than claimed, the are paying about the same as a Corolla or Civic and getting similar mileage as those cars. What they are not getting is the promised "free lunch" of BETTER MPGs in the same size/style car for the same money.

Still a valid claim, if I were a juror. But I would punish Honda worse.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:40 pm

Jerilynn wrote: The EPA tests are done with 100% gas, not the E10 most of us use. So, that would lower your actual MPG vs the EPA numbers.
From the US Dept of energy:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/info.shtml

The EPA fuel economy tests use 100 percent gasoline, and no adjustments are made to account for ethanol. Most conventional vehicles using E10 (10 percent ethanol) will experience a 3 to 4 percent reduction in fuel economy.
Yet another reason so many people are suspicious of government stats. Since most gas sold is E10, the EPA should test with what we buy. The EPA always seems to be behind the curve on MPG stats. They are much closer to reality, however, than before.

At any rate, many Elantra owners are saying they actually got the EPA numbers with their OLD model Elantras doing the same driving with the same gas as their new Elantras that they DON'T (get the EPA) numbers. So E10 is probably not the main issue.

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Tue May 08, 2012 3:06 pm

I've thought the hyundai's I've driven as rentals have been pretty good. I know that's only slightly better than a test drive. :wink:

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Tue May 08, 2012 4:59 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:I think the issue isn't that the car gets bad mileage...actually the numbers are similar to Corolla and Civic, Elantra's main competitors. The issue is that the number is not the EXPECTED mileage. I guess it proves that there is no free lunch.
Right, that's what I was getting at. Observed mileage < EPA or expected mileage by a factor greater than that of other cars.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Tue May 08, 2012 5:13 pm

We have a 2007 Elantra. Very good car for the price; have had some minor issues with rattles but that's about it.

I recently drove the new Elantra as a rental car for a week, and have also had a Sonata as a rental. Did not get 40 mpg, naturally - probably 35 mpg or so with fairly conservative driving (was doing much of my driving in an area where the speed limits are watched extremely closely). Better than our 2007 gets, but don't expect magic. I don't know if that's a better or worse discrepancy than other cars; I think my Prius experiences have had similar discrepancies from published mileage values.
Retirement investing is a marathon.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Tue May 08, 2012 5:55 pm

ryuns wrote:
Right, that's what I was getting at. Observed mileage < EPA or expected mileage by a factor greater than that of other cars.
Popular Mechanics did a test of the Elantra and Focus with regard to MPG claims: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/ne ... -6651300-2

Our Elantra has so far gotten somewhat disappointing mileage in normal driving, on 100% gas, but I'm guessing that the newer cars may be more "tuned" to the EPA test - and not just Hyundais. Also they may be more sensitive to driving habits than previous vehicles. It's also possible that MPG will improve after the first 5k, 10k, or some other number of miles.

Paul

bru

Post by bru » Tue May 08, 2012 10:00 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:EDMUNDS.COM forums has a lot of complaints of people not getting anywhere 40 MPG Highway as claimed. Are you?
Edmunds is full of posts about problems with vehicles.

I just read an article about gas mileage and how much it can vary based on driver habits. Some numbers were as much as 40% lower than the estimate. The Elantras 40 mpg value is an EPA estimate. I have to assume it was a valid number when published. Certainly no better or worse than any other EPA estimate. Or are you implying Hyundai manipulated an EPA test?

The link in the above post seems to bear out the numbers.
Leesbro63 wrote:It would appear that while non-hybrid Elantra owners are indeed damaged if the car gets less mileage than claimed, the are paying about the same as a Corolla or Civic and getting similar mileage as those cars. What they are not getting is the promised "free lunch" of BETTER MPGs in the same size/style car for the same money.
The Civic is rated 39 mpg, essentially the same as the Elantra. The Corolla is rated 34 mpg. Each costs anywhere from $1000-$2000 more than a similarly equipped Elantra. So number one, the Elantras estimated mileage is not a "free lunch" as compared to the Civic. And number two, I don't consider a $1-2K (~5%-10% of the purchase price) price difference the "same".

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Wed May 09, 2012 6:15 am

We bought a 2008 Sonata new primarily because it was more than $3k cheaper than Camry. We have owned several Camrys and loved them. The Sonata was ok but was not in the same class as our 2004 Camry. The Camry was quieter and had a better ride. The appointments in the Sonata seemed cheaper. My wife drove the Sonata and was never happy with it. We finally traded it for a 2007 Avalon which we both love (obviously upscale and not comparable). Sonatas do not hold their value well unlike most Toyotas.

The Sonata is a good value based on its price and performance but is not comparable to the Camry or Accord, although you will pay more for those.

fisher_man89

Post by fisher_man89 » Wed May 09, 2012 6:59 am

Dave76 wrote:
BigD53 wrote:
Fleet cars are abused. Having worked for two rental car companies, I've seen it all. Drag races, neutral dropping, brake-stands. Customers smoke pot in the cars, leave needles in the cars...you name it...
Cars are not like relationships with people. Once damaged or worn out, they can be easily fixed for a price. The question is whether the discount for buying a rental is worth the possible (and probable) problems.

I bought a former Toyota Camry rental at ~30k mi. 4 years later it's at over 80k mi. and I've had not one issue with it. There is only so much drag racing that can be done with a 4 cylinder. And all the leftover needles have been removed. And as long as former renters refrain from smoking pot inside the car while it's in my driveway, I can live with that.

Seriously though, having a trustworthy mechanic makes buying used cars a different game. Buying a rental sports car would require a larger discount, in my opinion, than a boring, underpowered daily driver.

Does anyone who stays in hotel rooms make sure to get a room history to ensure nothing improper was done on the premises? I would argue that a car is bought for its function and "as-is" state, not past history or use, though there can definitely be a connection.
Last edited by fisher_man89 on Wed May 09, 2012 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

investorjunkie

Post by investorjunkie » Wed May 09, 2012 7:02 am

johnep wrote:We bought a 2008 Sonata new primarily because it was more than $3k cheaper than Camry. We have owned several Camrys and loved them. The Sonata was ok but was not in the same class as our 2004 Camry. The Camry was quieter and had a better ride. The appointments in the Sonata seemed cheaper. My wife drove the Sonata and was never happy with it. We finally traded it for a 2007 Avalon which we both love (obviously upscale and not comparable). Sonatas do not hold their value well unlike most Toyotas.

The Sonata is a good value based on its price and performance but is not comparable to the Camry or Accord, although you will pay more for those.
The quality from the 2008 to the 2010 is much different.

bru

Post by bru » Wed May 09, 2012 8:57 am

johnep wrote:Sonatas do not hold their value well unlike most Toyotas.
Yes Hyundais will have a lower resale value than a Toyota or Honda and several other makes as well. However considering we have kept our last three cars an average of 12 years (other current vehicle is 10 years old) resale doesn't typically come in to play for us. Besides the other factors that led me to an Elantra I figured that by buying a Hyundai we could save $1-$2K on the initial purchase (vs. Toyota or Honda) and that was money in our pocket.

Of course the flip side of higher resale value is that you pay more for a used vehicle as you found with the Avalon.

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Wed May 09, 2012 9:00 am

Our choice, at the price point we wanted to meet, was either:

A brand new Hyundai Elantra
A Civic or Corolla with 50-60k miles on it

It was a pretty easy choice. From my experiences driving and riding in the Toyota and Honda compacts, the extra cost wasn't even close to worth it.

Can't compare current models, but I know that Hyundais continue to improve.
Retirement investing is a marathon.

bru

Post by bru » Wed May 09, 2012 9:15 am

kenyan wrote:Can't compare current models, but I know that Hyundais continue to improve.
2012 Elantra = North American Car of the Year. 2012 Civic = No longer recommended by Consumer Reports (yes, that is only one opinion).

Believe me as a Honda loyalist and HMC shareholder I couldn't believe I went for a Hyundai. I am confident it was a good purchase.

LearningToSpend

Post by LearningToSpend » Wed May 09, 2012 11:07 am

Genesis: $44,000 for a Hyundai ?
LOL !! FUHGETTABOUTit

Elantra? $20,000 for basically a Corolla?

Talk about a BUBBLE.
Sheep say BAAAAAAAAA !

Find the right contrarian play, my friends....
Last edited by LearningToSpend on Wed May 09, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alanf56

Post by alanf56 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:17 am

LearningToSpend wrote:Genesis: $440,000 for a Hyundai ?
$440,000 seems a bit much for ANY car I would consider. :D

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:40 am

LOL !! FUHGETTABOUTit

Talk about a BUBBLE.
Sheep say BAAAAAAAAA !

Actually, 35 years ago you could have said that about Corolla versus the "accepted standard" Ford, GM, American Motors (Pinto, Vega and Gremlin).

Madd Hatter

Post by Madd Hatter » Wed May 09, 2012 12:24 pm

Wife's had 2 Hyundais. Old enough that our anecdote may not be much help in regards to brand new models, but I think illustrates the overall upward trend in quality starting in 2000's.

2001 Elantra bought new - driven until 2006 and 65k miles when it was totaled (otherwise one of us would still be driving it). Only problem I can recall was one instance of very rough running...took it in and found Hyundai wasn't kidding about replacing fuel injectors at 30-40k, problem solved.

Took the accident money and put it towards a 12k mile-used 2006 Tucson GLS that she loves and still drives, 51k miles currently. ...I can't recall this one giving us any problems at all...last month she had a full break in the middle of a plastic slab that makes up the console lid, that was sort of weird, but oh well, won't matter to the two of us driving the car into the ground. She pulls 20-22mpg nearly all-city driving (non-ethanol blend)....which is what I pull in a 2001 Maxima.

Have been dreaming of getting a 2012 Sonata Turbo Limited for myself, everywhere I turn I hear all good things, but just can't rationalize the $28k cash drop + insurance costs of full coverage again + state registration fees that hate new cars, when I drive about 5k/yr.

ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg » Wed May 09, 2012 2:37 pm

We've owned a 2002 Santa Fe for the last 10 years. ~100K miles. Besides a radio that won't pick up anything but the strongest radio stations, we have had no issues at all. Great value.

bru

Post by bru » Wed May 09, 2012 2:47 pm

LOL !! FUHGETTABOUTit

Talk about a BUBBLE.
Sheep say BAAAAAAAAA !

So buying a Hyundai is akin to a stock market bubble? Can't agree with that.

Please get your numbers right. My Elantra (purchase price well below $20K) cost at least $1000 less than a comparably equipped Corolla.

You are aware that Corollas (and Civics) can easily cost $20K so what if an Elantra also does (The Elantra Limited will)? They are all compact cars competing against each other. How much different should the price be?

If you are implying a Corolla is "better" than an Elantra, the Elantra has received accolades from every corner of the automotive world. The Corolla is an older design that is having trouble competing with all the new compacts (Elantra, Mazda3, Impreza, etc.).

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:09 pm

I think Elantra, Corolla or Civic are all great cars. But you made a comment that Corolla is having a problem competing with "newer designs", yet they still fetch $1000 more per car. So how does that support the "trouble competing" comment?

bru

Post by bru » Wed May 09, 2012 5:26 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:I think Elantra, Corolla or Civic are all great cars. But you made a comment that Corolla is having a problem competing with "newer designs", yet they still fetch $1000 more per car. So how does that support the "trouble competing" comment?
I was talking in terms of mechanical/features. It's a fact people buy Toyotas and Hondas in much greater quantities than Hyundais. Without looking up the exact figures in the US I think there were 60K Elantras sold last year and 120K Civics (maybe even more).

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Wed May 09, 2012 6:12 pm

bru wrote:
Leesbro63 wrote:I think Elantra, Corolla or Civic are all great cars. But you made a comment that Corolla is having a problem competing with "newer designs", yet they still fetch $1000 more per car. So how does that support the "trouble competing" comment?
I was talking in terms of mechanical/features. It's a fact people buy Toyotas and Hondas in much greater quantities than Hyundais. Without looking up the exact figures in the US I think there were 60K Elantras sold last year and 120K Civics (maybe even more).
Still, if Corolla was really "behind" Elantra, people would not be willing to pay more.

bru

Post by bru » Wed May 09, 2012 6:16 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
bru wrote:
Still, if Corolla was really "behind" Elantra, people would not be willing to pay more.
You're assuming the car buying public is making informed decisions. I'm sure many do, but many others don't. Toyotas and Hondas sell because of their names. It's not the only reason but it is a reason.

I think you can find a lot of evidence that the Elantra is considered more up to date than the Corolla. I'm not making it up but you seem to want to argue the point.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Wed May 09, 2012 6:21 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
bru wrote:
Assuming that people pay more for Corolla,and I have no idea if that's the case, it may have nothing to do with Corolla not being "behind." There have always been products that have commanded higher prices due entirely to reputation, or image, or any number of factors that have nothing to do with current features or quality.

Paul