Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Curlyq

Post by Curlyq » Tue May 01, 2012 12:13 pm

Last edited by Curlyq on Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flossy21

Re: I'm worried about my dad getting spammed to "invest"

Post by flossy21 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:43 pm

One idea would be to get him an Ipad. It will let him email, surf and check balances. No need for virus software or any of that kind of stuff. He could also do Facetime/Skype video calls with you or other loved ones as well.

You could also have his email client send a duplicate copy of each email to a gmail account that only you can access. That way you can monitor his email. Since you are POA this should not be a legal issue. You can decide on the morality of this approach for yourself.

Tom_T

Post by Tom_T » Tue May 01, 2012 1:01 pm

I'm curious about the e-mail. Most big ISPs (Comcast, Verizon to name a couple) catch most spam before it reaches your inbox, but sometimes you have to explicitly turn on the no-spam option via the ISP's Web interface. Is it really spam? Or does Dad belong to some online financial community where you end up getting bombarded with e-mail solicitations?

Also, Gmail does a very good job of catching spam. What about switching Dad to Gmail? You could set up his old e-mail to forward everything to his new Gmail account until he's completed the cutover.

AVG is good. Just make sure you've got the latest free version.

The idea about an iPad is good, although that means you'd have to either pay for the data plan, or set up a wireless network in the house.

E-mail forwarding: if you don't want a copy of everything, you could set up a filter that sends a copy only when the e-mail subject contains certain keywords ("invest", "stock", etc.)

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Tue May 01, 2012 1:32 pm

The iPad might solve some of the problems, but I'd add a couple more caveats to those mentioned here: If your dad has problems with eyesight, as most people do at his age, he should get the latest new iPad. If he has arthritis, the iPad may be more difficult to handle and type on.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Curlyq

Post by Curlyq » Tue May 01, 2012 2:42 pm

Last edited by Curlyq on Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curlyq

Post by Curlyq » Tue May 01, 2012 2:43 pm

Last edited by Curlyq on Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curlyq

Post by Curlyq » Tue May 01, 2012 2:46 pm

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Tue May 01, 2012 5:05 pm

A few years ago we went to the in-laws and I found a number of "You've Won The UK Lottery" emails on their computer, and the FIL had printed out a form and had it partially filled out with his personal information to mail to the scammers. I set up rules to divert and delete emails that might contain such enticements in the future, and then periodically monitored it using the free remote access tool LogMeIn, which also allows me to fix most computer problems they have. He didn't really understand that he was being set up for ID theft, as he was in early dementia.

I think switching email to Gmail is a good idea as it will cut off him from the scammers who currently has his email address, and Gmail offers very good junk mail capturing and various forwarding options if you want to monitor it real time.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

Jeanz

Post by Jeanz » Tue May 01, 2012 7:49 pm

If he is using an email client you could try the forwarding options from gmail. You could leave the messages in the inbox so that you could monitor them and set up filters where you thought best. What it would do with the spam I don't know, but I'd be kind of surprised if it sent it to the client's inbox.

(I haven't done this for years, so I do mean try.)

theduke

Post by theduke » Tue May 01, 2012 8:44 pm

If your dad is an using email through cable internet. Maybe you could access the email account online by going to the cable providers website. Then you could see the emails he's receiving and maybe delete the ones you need to.

awval999

Post by awval999 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:52 pm

theduke wrote:If your dad is an using email through cable internet. Maybe you could access the email account online by going to the cable providers website. Then you could see the emails he's receiving and maybe delete the ones you need to.
I think this may be the best idea. Just log in daily and delete what you think is inappropriate. Again you are the POA.

kksmom

Post by kksmom » Tue May 01, 2012 8:57 pm

Curlyq wrote:
I tried to find some kind of elder net nanny software, to no avail. I'm looking for some way to let Dad still enjoy his computing (mostly email, surfing the web, and checking his online balances) without having him get into some kind of trouble. Any ideas? How have others handled this? I'm particulary concerned about the emails targeting him for "investment" money. Thank you.

Have you tried http://www1.k9webprotection.com/? I had found it useful for restricting kid usage of internet. Its free and may be suitable for your needs. Other options as others mentioned maybe email forwarding/administrator access etc.

Curlyq

Post by Curlyq » Tue May 01, 2012 9:17 pm

tractorguy

Post by tractorguy » Tue May 01, 2012 10:10 pm

You can switch your father to gmail in such a way that he won't notice the change.

I switched my wife's and my e-mail accounts to gmail about 5 years ago. My wife strongly prefers the Outlook interface so I have Outlook set up to download from gmail using the POP option. As far as she's concerned, the e-mail program, her address book, etc. never changed. She only looks at the Gmail interface when we're traveling and she's forced to use my laptop. Spam never gets to her computer and as far as she's concerned, it doesn't exist.

During a two month transition, I had Outlook polling the inboxes on both the new gmail account and the old ISP e-mail address. From gmail, I sent an e-mail to everyone in her address book telling them the new address. Anything that she cared about that came to the old address during the transition also got the same e-mail. By the end of the two months, the good e-mails to the old address had stopped.

The biggest pain was going through all of the web accounts (Amazon, credit card, etc.) that had her e-mail address on file and changing it. If your father doesn't have a list, you can probably construct one by looking at who is sending him e-mail. Most of these places send notices monthly or more often.

After the switch, the spam was much, much less. I also am a big fan of Gmail's antispam filters.
Lorne

investor1

Post by investor1 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:13 pm

Setup an account on his machine which you have access to, and enable Windows Remote Desktop. This will allow you to login to his computer remotely whenever it is on. If Remote Desktop doesn't jive with you, try VNC (such as TightVNC), which is free. If your Dad is willing to share his account with you, you can skip the setting up your own account step.

Once you have remote access, just use his email client to access his email, and unsubscribe him from or delete email which he receives. If you have time, go through as much as you can with him, so he learns what to look out for.

If you don't want to access his computer remotely, you may be able to access his email via the web depending on his service provider (as others have suggested). However, remote access will make it easier for you to help him with other computer related issues.

AVG is aces. Stick with that.

Your admin account idea is also aces. Go for it!

Honestly, I suspect your Dad is surfing for various things and signing up for a number of these types of emails. This is why going over what to watch out for will be useful.

If all else fails, change his email address. Gmail or otherwise. Then the spammers won't have his email address. It might be possible to get his ISP to give him a new one if that is the one which he is currently using.

Also, make sure his firewall is enabled. The one which comes with XP is a good start. The one on his router will help too!

If you have more specific questions, just ask!