Board dog or let him wing it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Mr. Gatti

Board dog or let him wing it?

Post by Mr. Gatti »

The Gatti's are planning an upcoming weekend getaway and we were wondering what to do with our 9 year old yellow lab. We have always boarded him in the past but we now have a back porch he can come in and go out as he pleases. DD (dear dog? D*** dog?) is spoiled and has always slept inside except for a few times a year ago he had to stay outside. This dog would put Marley to shame in his younger days (broken through porch door, dug underneath fence, etc.) but seems to have mellowed in the past year or 2. We have underground electric fence installed so digging is not a problem anymore (knock on wood).

We will be gone for 2 nights this trip and I have somebody that can come check on him a couple of times during the day. Should we let him stay home and have the yard to roam around but he will have to sleep outside or should we just pay the $25-30/ night and let him stay at the vet? DW says it is ok with her if he stays at home, but if he destroys the new furniture on the porch we will be spending $800 to replace it.

What say you, Bogleheads?

Edited to add: If a thunderstorm arises, all hell will break loose with the dog.
livesoft

Re: Board dog or let him wing it?

Post by livesoft »

My son dog sits for a couple of neighbors. Let someone come and check on him. Move new furniture into the garage though.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Edited to add: If a thunderstorm arises, all hell will break loose with the dog.
Isn't this your answer? Isn't it possible the dog will just go through the electric fence and run away if frightened?

No possibility of leaving the dog inside and have someone come let him out a couple of times a day?

The other problem with electric fence is that it does not protect the dog from other dogs coming in for a fight. Could this be an issue if you are gone?
Topic Author
Mr. Gatti

Post by Mr. Gatti »

retiredjg wrote:
Isn't this your answer? Isn't it possible the dog will just go through the electric fence and run away if frightened?

No possibility of leaving the dog inside and have someone come let him out a couple of times a day?

The other problem with electric fence is that it does not protect the dog from other dogs coming in for a fight. Could this be an issue if you are gone?
Sorry, I should have been clearer. We have a fenced in yard with the underground fence buried just inside of the wooden fence to discourage digging. I'm not really worried about him running off as much as him destroying something...and to replace the furniture inside would be a whole lot more than $800. :D
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Well, that does make a big difference. :D

Where is the dog when nobody is at home? Is the dog accustomed to being alone for more than an hour or so? Does the issue boil down to just being outside at night and that being something sort of new?

I use a pet sitter so my animals can stay where they are accustomed to being. It works for us!
Topic Author
Mr. Gatti

Post by Mr. Gatti »

Example of why this dog is not allowed to stay inside by himself:

We had bought a new house and were trying to sell our old house. We finally got some buyers under contract. We come home from work one day after thunderstorm. DD has ripped up carpet and padding to half of the master bedroom.

Another time before that, the dog had got into the pantry closet, into the garbage, ate some chicken salad that had been thrown out, tried to get out, destroyed blinds and carpet of one of the guest bedrooms.

Wow, the more I think back to what all he has destroyed, $25/night is cheap!

He really is a good dog though.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

You could always strap him to the roof of the car and take with? ... just kidding - I used to trade dog-sitting w/ my neighbor - my bull terrier had a dog door into a fenced acre - her Shepherds had a kennel/run - worked
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Mr. Gatti wrote:He really is a good dog though.
Yeah, right.

He seems to need a crate when you are not home or needs to stay outside.
Last edited by livesoft on Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
Mr. Gatti

Post by Mr. Gatti »

retiredjg wrote:
Where is the dog when nobody is at home? Is the dog accustomed to being alone for more than an hour or so? Does the issue boil down to just being outside at night and that being something sort of new?
This. He is fine outside and alone for several hours at a time. Overnight for 2 nights is what concerns me.
Topic Author
Mr. Gatti

Post by Mr. Gatti »

livesoft wrote:
Mr. Gatti wrote:He really is a good dog though.
Yeah, right.

I will clarify- He really is a friendly (though sometimes destructive) dog.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

I'd get him an outdoor kennel and have him used to it before trying w/out you being there.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Ok, so you have a really nice and friendly but destructive dog. If the issue is the cost of the kennel, pay it and know that your dog and your stuff will all be safe. That is certainly not a lot of money for the assurance that things go well.

If the issue is where the dog will be most comfortable, it's hard to say. But if he stays home, I'd probably move the porch furniture to the garage or something.

What about paying someone to stay at your house at night?

I think it is too late for crate training or a new outdoor kennel. He might get frantic and hurt himself.
Toons

Post by Toons »

I would pay the 25-30,peace of mind is worth it :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
BlueEars

Post by BlueEars »

Mr. Gatti wrote:The Gatti's are planning an upcoming weekend getaway and we were wondering what to do with our 9 year old yellow lab. We have always boarded him in the past but we now have a back porch he can come in and go out as he pleases. DD (dear dog? D*** dog?) is spoiled and has always slept inside except for a few times a year ago he had to stay outside.
Let's face it, you are the pack leader and have to make a good decision here. Your dog is trusting you to do the right thing. Give him a break, he needs social interaction and some feeling of protection -- it's not a matter of being spoiled. Maybe boarding at the vet is the ticket.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

A dog door + an at-least-daily dog-sitter could be a long term solution. Dog doors are good for a "house-dog".
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I don't have dogs anymore, but I always boarded them whenever I went away. Too many things can happen if they are left alone. My wife and former husband had a dog they left alone for just a few hours, and delinquent neighborhood kids beat it and broke it's front leg while they were gone. Had to put it down.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I trade dogsitting with friends that have dogs. Works out pretty well, I've never had to use the boarding kennel.

I'd never leave a dog unattended for a weekend.
BarbInSD

Post by BarbInSD »

I agree: It is definitely not a good idea at all to leave a dog unattended for a weekend.
It doesn't matter whether it is a good dog or not.
They are social creatures and don't do well left alone for too long.
If stressed by being alone, the dog will do damage - inside or outside.

There are two good options:

One is to get a pet sitter to come over at least twice a day.
You can find one through this website: petsit.com - which is petsitters international.
At the top of the home page, very top right, click "locate a pet sitter" which is by zip code.

The other option is to again leave the dog at a good kennel.

A good pet sitter is preferable to a kennel because the dog is in their own environment, with some supervision.

The petsitter may cost a little more than a kennel, but it's only 2-3 days, and your dog's welfare is taken care of.
milestogo

Post by milestogo »

We have a couple of friends who help us out. They come by 3 times a day and hang out for 30 minutes or more as well as feed and walk. We trade off or provide gift cards. Last time we took our dog to the kennel had a $500 dolllar vet bill from kennnel cough and some kind of GI issue so never using a boarding situation again! Your dog would probably prefer to stay at it's own house!
ilmartello

Post by ilmartello »

some dogs get sick at kennels, find a friend to check up and leave the dog indoors
Patchy Groundfog

Post by Patchy Groundfog »

I think the vet's is a fairly stressful place for dogs to stay. They associate those smells with shots and having their temperature taken. ("What is wrong with these people?!).

We have several "pet resorts" and doggie day cares in our area, where the dogs get a lot of outdoor recreation and socializing. Maybe you could find something like that for your golden, so he could have a mini-vacation, too.
The best things in life aren't things.
camiboxer

Post by camiboxer »

I vote for hiring a professional pet sitter but I own a pet sitting company so I am a bit biased.
In certain situations a boarding facility is the best alternative. It would seem that your dog might suffer from some separation anxiety and or boredom. Hard to gauge what led to the destructive behaviors. The thunderstorm anxiety also needs to be considered.
Leaving a dog home alone unattended with free access to the outside can present multiple issues. Additional destructive behavior (he is bored or anxious) can't be ignored especially with a dog with a history of the same behaviors. A gate could be left unsecured (meter reader perhaps, someone up to no good, etc....). Then of course you can't neglect to consider the various possibilities of injury (bee sting/bug bite for example) that he might have a reaction to which would require medical intervention.
Here is just a short list of some of the things my clients have come home to PRIOR to hiring me. They all left their dogs unattended with access to a fenced in "secure" yard.
A raccoon was brought into the home by a Lab. It was killed eventually and torn apart inside the home. A bloody mess ensued. Dog had to be treated by a vet due to bite wounds.
A Boxer died from anaphylactic shock (found wasp nest).
Terrier Mix hanged itself (collar got stuck on fence). Death.
Golden Retriever was picked up by animal control due to escaping "secured" yard resulting in a fine and boarding fees.
Two Pugs were removed from the yard by animal control due to repeated reports of continuous barking. Fines resulted.
German Shepard pup broke through glass window. Neighbor heard commotion (dog screaming in pain) and got it to a vets office. Surgery required, glass needing repaired. Home left open until owners return.

I could go on but you get my point. Some of these dogs had been left alone previously with no issues so owners had no reason to suspect anything would happen. At least you have some previous history to help you make a decision.

Some dogs do well in a boarding facility while others stop eating and get depressed. Others pick up various health issues (parasites/bacteria) and need treatment after the fact. Hiring a professional sitter has no guarantees but it sure as heck helps to level the playing field (for lack of a better description). It is more expensive than a boarding facility, especially for just one dog but sometimes peace of mind doesn't equate to dollars.

The national organization another posted listed is a good start but not the only place to look. Some professional companies utilize other organizations. petsitusa dot com is just one other alternative. You can also easily Google "pet sitter and your zip code".
beardsworth

Post by beardsworth »

I keep wondering about this what-to-do-with-the-dog question from an OP whose name is Italian for "cats."
fandango

Post by fandango »

I don't like boarding our dog. He spends 80 to 90% of the time in a crate or cage and only gets out two or three times for a walk or to do his business. Also, staying at the vet exposes your dog to all kinds of things. I don't care what they say -- sanitation procedures are not perfect.

We have a neighbor who dog "sits". Price is reasonable, and she treats him better than we do (often cooks him a fresh chicken breast to eat).

If you don't have a good dog sitter, now is the time to start cultivating one. This is a much more humane way to treat your dog when you have to leave him behind for a few days.