Advice on retirement...not financial, but what to do all day

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
daytona084

Re: Advice on retirement...not financial, but what to do all

Post by daytona084 »

WOW... what a range of answers.

I have been retired about 1 year and never bored. And I don't have a lot of "hobbies"...

My first reaction... (sorry if this sounds offensive). If you really can't figure out what you want to do except work, maybe you should just keep working.

My day is similar to some previous posters.... Couple cups of coffee, read the news, work out (very important!) , shower, make breakfast (by now it's about noon).... attack ever-growing to-do list. Maintain lawn, maintain home, miscellaneous projects, maintain computer, check investments, ... (no golf!) . Read if there is time. Cook nice dinner or have dinner with friends. After dinner, meet with friends, walk, enjoy time with wife, TV, glass of wine, go to bed much too late because so much to do! Of course there are special times for vacation or visiting kids and grand-kids.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Leave tomorrow for Lisbon and will visit some retired friends in the Algarve for a few days of golf. Then back to Lisbon to catch a cruise ship doing the Med and ending in Monte Carlo. Played Water Volleyball for two hours today before packing for trip. Usually play on Monday, Wed & Fri. Pickleball I play on most Tues. & Thurs and golf on Friday or Saturday. Evenings are getting warmer so it will be Bocce Ball several evenings a week when I get back from Europe. In between these activities my wife & I will see a movie or two spend time on the computer, read a book or two, babysit a grandchild. I enjoy cooking and do most of the meals. These past 22 years of retirement have been a blast and despite the presently creaky knees I am looking forward to at least 22 years more. Life is good.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Very interesting all,

I too have a very interesting job that has taken me around the world in some unusual circumstances. However I will remodel my house in the States later this year and try to adapt to life there. I do not need to work further for financial reasons but like many here I wonder what things of value will fill my days. Some travel to places I would like to explore a bit more, however I do not see cruises in my future. Or playing endless rounds of golf (not very good anyway). I have recently thought about moving to Cape Town.

The prior comments about one's health are well taken. My current thought is to keep compiling my list of what things I would wished that I had done, if I was not able (for either health or financial reasons) and then do them. Most importantly I intend to remind myself everyday of what is really important, and try to not let the routine 'activities of life' rule my day.

Not a bad idea to have a special index item in this forum for continued ideas on this topic. I value the opinions and experiences of the BH in all areas and see value in keeping this dialog running.

_D_
Truth and clarity are important in all things...
SGM

Post by SGM »

People knocking reading about retirement? Reading has been such an enriching activity for me, I cannot imagine not reading about a new stage of life. I am on the cusp of retirement and am looking forward to creating a completely new identity. I have already done that in changing careers every 10-15 years and enjoyed each one of them. I don't recommend it for those who want to maximize a pension, but it worked for me.

Reading is as natural to me as breathing. I taught myself to read from comic strips before I entered kindergarten. I can still recall the joy of realization that I could understand the written word for the first time.

I am also seeking out recent retirees locally for discussions. When you go from a structured day to complete freedom, some tutelage may help. Congrats to the OP on closing in on retirement. :sharebeer

I am planning on painting, learning to play an instrument, travel, volunteer, make new friends and visit old ones, take courses, learn to cook, exercise, play games, learn a language,sail,kayak, be entertained, write,build things, get very healthy, see family, garden, and maybe start a little side business if I want to. I cannot say for sure what I will be doing, but it will certainly be much different than what I am doing now.
"Let us endeavor, so to live, that when we die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I have 14 years in retirement of not having enough time to do everything I would like. Money has never been a problem to do everything thankfully.
1. I enjoyed traveling. I still do, but we haven't had foreign travel since 2008 because of my wife's walking health. We do a lot of auto trips now though.
2. I enjoy horticulture so there has been more time to pursue that.
3. We enjoy the theater, sports and the arts. We have season tickets to college basketball, professional football, symphony and university visiting entertainment programs. We attend at least 20 other concerts and shows every year outside of those.
4. I enjoy doing all of the home maintenance...always have....except now, I don't climb on the roof anymore.
5. I volunteer regularly an average of 3 days a week (<6 hours a day) at such places as the Children's Museum, volunteer tax preparation, and retired senior volunteer program. In addition, I volunteer on as many Rotary projects as I can.
6. When I retired, I became more health concious, so I exercise more.....I walk and jog several miles a day.
plus I am here.
Jim
All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

The first year of retirement was a blast. Just doing whatever I wanted to do. I kept plenty busy doing not much of anything important. Lots of reading. Lots of studying investing (since that was now my "job").

The thrill started wearing off after a year. I am not a traveler. I'm a homebody. Still enjoyed it, but started to feel a bit unfulfilled. Still couldn't imagine going back to work though.

More recently I've been writing a lot, and feeling very fulfilled and way too busy. Want to do much more than I have time for. Posting here, writing my investing blog, starting to work on the Bogleheads wiki. Also helping family and friends with their investments. Life is very full again. No desire to make more money (other than from my investments), just want to help others be more rational investors.

Bottom line: find something you are passionate about and pursue it.

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)
don1066

Post by don1066 »

I am 63 and i retired 3 years ago. I am so happy to own my own time that i never think about working ever! Its a true luxury having this time and the options to basically do whatever you want. At this age i dont get philosophical about being "productive". I am alive, healthy, have an imagination and the wherewithal to enjoy the last one third. A great read you may want to get in to "Younger Next Year" by Crowley and Lodge. Its funny and serious all at the same time.
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Kevin M posted
That is the Chaz-sized answer to life, be it work or retirement.

Studies have shown that people are happier when they find something larger than themselves to participate in. If that happens to be a paid job, I encourage those people to continue working in order to stay happy. For me, I used up the happy part of my job before I finished the asset accumulation phase of my life. If you think you will be bored and unhappy in retirement, you probably will be.

Retirement has been the best years of my life.
chaz

Post by chaz »

heyyou wrote:
Kevin M posted
That is the Chaz-sized answer to life, be it work or retirement.

Studies have shown that people are happier when they find something larger than themselves to participate in. If that happens to be a paid job, I encourage those people to continue working in order to stay happy. For me, I used up the happy part of my job before I finished the asset accumulation phase of my life. If you think you will be bored and unhappy in retirement, you probably will be.

Retirement has been the best years of my life.
You got that right.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
covertfantom

Post by covertfantom »

As a 27 year old, it's hard to fathom not knowing what to do when I don't have to go into the office from 9 to 5. I just hope I have the money and physical ability to do everything I have in mind! :-D. Seems that playing hockey into my 60s might be a stretch though...
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

Input/Insight on this subject continues to be outstandings..so may I ask a follow up questions to those who are currently retired?

What is it that you can do in retirement now that you couldn't do while you were working? I know some of you mention being on your own time and the freedom to come/go as you please. Got that. But what else? What are those things that every once in a while you sit back and ponder...wow, if I as still working, I wouldn't be able to do this?

Also, curious to know how many of you retired based on health reasons?

Thanks again..and Thanks to the OP for posting such an interesting question.
The question isn't at what age I want to retire, it is at what income. - George Foreman
btenny

Post by btenny »

Some of the best things about being retired...

Wonderful mid morning sex several days a week...........

Great 12:30PM start baseball games on Wednesdays.....

20-60 days of snow skiing every year........

20-30 days out boating and sailing every year......

Sleeping in most mornings until I wake up.. NO ALARM clocks and no need for watches......

I could go on but you get the idea and I don't want to rub it in too much...

Cheers..
Bill
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

backofbeyond wrote:Input/Insight on this subject continues to be outstandings..so may I ask a follow up questions to those who are currently retired?

What is it that you can do in retirement now that you couldn't do while you were working? I know some of you mention being on your own time and the freedom to come/go as you please. Got that. But what else? What are those things that every once in a while you sit back and ponder...wow, if I as still working, I wouldn't be able to do this?

Also, curious to know how many of you retired based on health reasons?

Thanks again..and Thanks to the OP for posting such an interesting question.
My volunteer work is midday on weekdays so if I were working full-time I would not be able to do any of it. Even while working part-time, it was a juggling act to fit in the volunteer work with going to work.

Because my commute was so long and tiring, it was very difficult to do my evening square dancing on days I worked. If I wanted to go out dancing, I had to leave work at 4 PM so I could get home by 5:30 PM and get a nap so I could dancing. And if the dancing started at 7 PM then forget about it. This was particularly true for my Tuesday night dancing, and I almost always worked on Tuesdays even on the part-time schedule.

I often was able to schedule my midday volunteer work on the days I danced at night in the part-time years but that still left me unable to do everything I wanted to.

Yeah, I retired for health reasons......I was SICK of working and SICK of the dag commute! :sharebeer
Lon

Post by Lon »

Work & Identity--------------- I have always thought that some men's concerns about retirement centers around what they feel is a loss of their identity when they retire, particularly those that were in authoritative or management positions. They no longer have others to control. Answer? Seek out a new non employment identity.
sizematters

Post by sizematters »

For me the answer is a serious commitment to photography. Here are some of the benefits I get from it:

1. It's a great way to express your creative side, without requiring the patience of painting and many other art forms.

2. It offers a great breadth and depth of new skills to study and master, from composition to post-processing to display.

3. You can mix the artistic and technical aspects of photography in any desired ratio, in line with your interests.

4. There are many genres of photography to explore, from street candids to fine art. When you get bored with one, you move on to another.

5. It provides a great excuse to travel to exotic locales in search of fresh subjects.

6. It involves you in a certain amount of light exercise, but with a purpose.

7. It can keep you busy either indoors or outdoors, depending on the weather.

8. You can enhance your social life by offering to photograph local events, presenting travelogues at the library, or showing your work at the camera club.

In one respect, however, photography is like being a musician. It has become very hard to earn an income from it.
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

Lon wrote:Work & Identity--------------- I have always thought that some men's concerns about retirement centers around what they feel is a loss of their identity when they retire, particularly those that were in authoritative or management positions. They no longer have others to control. Answer? Seek out a new non employment identity.
Couldn't agree more with this statement. I'm someone at work..the Boss. At home, I'm just a means to an end. :happy
The question isn't at what age I want to retire, it is at what income. - George Foreman
desertbandit442

Post by desertbandit442 »

Actually read the newspaper and magazines
Read Boglehead Boards
Read self-help, nonfiction, and fiction books
Go to the fitness center 1-2 hours a day
Do some laundry
Driving range/golf
Road trip for 2-3 days whenever you want
Vacuum a couple of days a week
Study asset allocation
Take an afternoon nap
Cook dinner - found I actually enjoy cooking now that I have the time
Watch the whole movie in the evenings
Do own yard work
Do fix-it projects around the house

Actually I find my days pretty full from about 6:00 am until 11:30 pm, but it's what I/we want to do--except for some honey-do items now and then
bb

Post by bb »

I wonder if this debate comes down to "how we are wired". Seems
like if you are wired to be doing something productive "filling" your
time may not scratch that itch. Maybe some people have that
inherent need to fullfill and others don't. Seems like to some
people playing golf everyday sounds great and to others it
seems like drudgery. Does it come down to whether you
have a goal orientation or not?
GregLee

Post by GregLee »

bb wrote:Does it come down to whether you
In my opinion, it's a matter of habit. After being concentrated on work for many years, learning to play takes time and practice. (I don't think some people ever do concentrate on work -- the ones you might say don't have a goal orientation.)
Greg, retired 8/10.
Ozonewanderer

Post by Ozonewanderer »

bb wrote:I wonder if this debate comes down to "how we are wired". Seems
I think this is an astute observation. I do have that inner need to build things and achieve goals. So now that I'm retired, golf has taken up a larger spot in my life. I'm constantly trying to improve my game, hoping that each game I play will be my personal best. That is a terrible way to play golf. It is unfulfilling and frustrating. If I have a great game the pleasure is momentary; if not, I get mad. I guess golf is a terrible solution for me.

I think the challenge is not to simply find some activity that keeps us healthy and busy, but to find what that poster gets from his part time job: something to look forward to each day. He sounds like one of the luckiest people here! It will be different for each one of us, as you suggest, depending on how we are individually wired.

And as I think about it, if it doesn't involve work - some personal investment of effort that builds upon itself, it probably won't be that satisfying; pleasurable maybe but not fulfilling.

As you see, I have no answers but I appreciate this discussion as it may advance the search!
Topic Author
Dave C.

Post by Dave C. »

bb makes a very good point.....it depends how we are wired. This has been a very informative topic. Some folks gave a run-down of a common day, and they sounded relaxed & peaceful. Others took different paths, each sounding just as happy.

The bottom line I draw from everyone is.....think about how you are wired (what trips your trigger) and start from there. Man-O-Man, I like the thought of those easy flowing days, ignoring the morning alarm, doing just what I feel like doing.

But, for me that would be wonderful for a month or two. So, as a result of all the above comments and thoughts and experiences, I volunteered this morning with a local hospice group. If helping out makes me feel the way I expect it to make me feel, when I retire in a couple years I will keep it up.

I am the orginal poster on this thread, and we will move southwest in 2014 or 2015. Thanks to each one of the very wide variety of posters. You each helped me get in touch with my own "wiring". :wink: 8-)
Easy does it/Live & Let Live/One day at a time. Thanks Bill.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Dave C. wrote:

bb makes a very good point.....it depends how we are wired. This has been a very informative topic. Some folks gave a run-down of a common day, and they sounded relaxed & peaceful. Others took different paths, each sounding just as happy.

The bottom line I draw from everyone is.....think about how you are wired (what trips your trigger) and start from there. Man-O-Man, I like the thought of those easy flowing days, ignoring the morning alarm, doing just what I feel like doing.

But, for me that would be wonderful for a month or two. So, as a result of all the above comments and thoughts and experiences, I volunteered this morning with a local hospice group. If helping out makes me feel the way I expect it to make me feel, when I retire in a couple years I will keep it up.

I am the orginal poster on this thread, and we will move southwest in 2014 or 2015. Thanks to each one of the very wide variety of posters. You each helped me get in touch with my own "wiring". :wink: 8-)
And in retirement, you'll have time to further develop that "wiring." :D
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
j920

Post by j920 »

Toons wrote:Todays schedule
Up about 8
Couple cups of coffee on back porch looking at leaves
Sat on front porch for third cup of coffee
Read several newspaper articles, couple boglehead threads on internet
Made breakfast,washed dishes,discussed dinner plans with spouse
Decided to go play golf.
Washed honda fit
Cleaned golf clubs,grabbed a few energy bars
Got to course about 11:30
Practiced chipping, putting bout half hour
Played till about 3:30
Drove to state park went for a brisk walk,and to take pictures (I like photography)
Drove to Walmart for a few items
Got home about 5pm
Cooked out on the grill
Coffee after dinner
Removed wasp nest from front porch
Bout 7:30 decided to go for drive with wife
Home at 9
Cleanup,sit down in lazy boy with galaxy tablet surfin the web
Will find a netflix movie to watch
Then its lights out :happy

When you retire you MUST find ways to stay active and involved,self motivation is paramount
I do find time to relax, but on the other hand I never find myself bored
Hobbies,volunteer work,exercise, are all valuable tools helping you enjoy your retirement :D
That schedule sounds just about perfect. Only one problem: I'm 23 years old!

Add on to that more reading and a motorcycle for periodic road trips, and I've got my plan all figured out.