Advice on retirement...not financial, but what to do all day

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Dave C.

Advice on retirement...not financial, but what to do all day

Post by Dave C. »

We've got 2 or 3 years until retirement, i will be 63 and my wife will be 62. I've spent many hours using various tools to gain confidence that we will have a comftable, though not extravagant, pile of treasure to live on. That work continues.
But what am I going to do all day? I want to retire, but I've worked at some type of job for over 45 years. I like golf, I like to relax, read, travel a bit, take a trip to see the kids and grand kids once in awhile and stuff like that.
Do some of you Bogleheads get work, part time or full time? (I don't need the pay). Is puttering around the house suddenly fulfilling? We'll move to the southwest for warmer weather, so I'll have new friends and loads of relatives from Chicago visiting till they get tired of it.
Are there good books to read on the topic? Do some of you Bogleheads have experience in real life retirement on this topic?

I realize there is no simple answer.....but I hope, "Where should we have dinner tonight" isn't the highlight of my day.

:shock: 8-)
Easy does it/Live & Let Live/One day at a time. Thanks Bill.
livesoft

Re: Advice on retirement...not financial, but what to do all

Post by livesoft »

This is a FAQ that has an easy answer. Just go over to the Early Retirement forum ( http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f21/ ) and read away.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
gatorking

Post by gatorking »

Check out this book:
http://www.thejoyofnotworking.com/about.htm
I remember it having a few pages of activities called a "Get a Life Tree".
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Do some of you Bogleheads get work, part time or full time? (I don't need the pay).
I've been retired 8yrs, was able to get a P/T job 6 years ago and it's the only thing I look forward to doing.
All the Best, | Joe
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I think it varies considerably depending upon the person.

I retired nine years ago at age 50 and am exactly as busy as I want to be every day. I can't say that I'm ever bored. Sometimes my 'to-do list' even gets longer than I like. I have neither the time nor inclination for golf - I like productive activities and golf doesn't seem to fit the bill. (Edit: My feelings toward golf may have something to do with my skill level.)

I now have the time to do most of my own home and auto maintenance as well as upgrades to the house (painting, new crown molding and baseboard, etc.). If it's more than I want to tackle I hire it out (new flooring). I built a shed and a pergola and care for a fairly large lawn and gardens. I just got done digging out a tree a couple of days ago.

We take driving trips, spend about 3 months in warmer climes, usually fly to the east coast to visit family once a year (sometimes combined with a Bogleheads reunion ) and go to Alaska to visit our son and grand daughter a few times a year (my wife more than I).

Our mornings are spent getting going slowly (reading newspapers online and having breakfast) and then working out, especially if I don't have other physically demanding activities planned during the day. I'm in better physical condition than I've been most of my adult life and my health is excellent. My doctor often remarks positively.

When I get old and feel like slowing down I'll probably start taking cruises or something. :D

On the other hand I've known many people who have retired and ended up working again within a year because they are terribly bored. I don't understand that at all.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
JustBill

Post by JustBill »

joe8d wrote:
Do some of you Bogleheads get work, part time or full time? (I don't need the pay).
I've been retired 8yrs, was able to get a P/T job 6 years ago and it's the only thing I look forward to doing.
Wow, that is as profound and telling statement that I've read in a while. Perhaps because I'm afraid that will be me.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I teach my old dog new tricks. That's good for at least a couple hours a day.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

I retired from the Navy at age 50, then tried my hand at making nuclear weapons for three years but didn't like it. Then worked in the ski industry in sales first, then as an instructor for twelve years. "Worked" as a fly fishing guide full time for eight years.

Now, at 68, I walk two hours a day or ride my bike three or four hours. I fly fish a lot in summer and dive into my wood shop in the winter. Spring keeps me busy cleaning up the yard, fertilizing triming tress and bushes. Fall has me doing the same.

We have deliberately avoided moving to the South West because other than golf at 5:00 AM, there isn't much to do besides sitting around the pool until it get too hot and you gotta go indoors. :D

I'm sure Michael L and a bunch of others will disagree. :wink:

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

A friend has recommended these two books:

I cannot wait to put them to use,

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
ilmartello

Post by ilmartello »

You can always volunteer or participate in a cause you are interested in.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Todays schedule
Up about 8
Couple cups of coffee on back porch looking at leaves
Sat on front porch for third cup of coffee
Read several newspaper articles, couple boglehead threads on internet
Made breakfast,washed dishes,discussed dinner plans with spouse
Decided to go play golf.
Washed honda fit
Cleaned golf clubs,grabbed a few energy bars
Got to course about 11:30
Practiced chipping, putting bout half hour
Played till about 3:30
Drove to state park went for a brisk walk,and to take pictures (I like photography)
Drove to Walmart for a few items
Got home about 5pm
Cooked out on the grill
Coffee after dinner
Removed wasp nest from front porch
Bout 7:30 decided to go for drive with wife
Home at 9
Cleanup,sit down in lazy boy with galaxy tablet surfin the web
Will find a netflix movie to watch
Then its lights out :happy

When you retire you MUST find ways to stay active and involved,self motivation is paramount
I do find time to relax, but on the other hand I never find myself bored
Hobbies,volunteer work,exercise, are all valuable tools helping you enjoy your retirement :D
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Topic Author
Dave C.

Post by Dave C. »

Holy cow...I am the orginal poster on this site and the 10 or so replys so far (in about 15 minutes) have been across the entire board, from glad to not-so-glad, advice on good reading to thoughtful musings on the current state of discovering retirement!

I thank those who have posted and shared their thougths and I look forward to a good selection more! :D
bearwolf

Post by bearwolf »

Dave C. wrote:We've got 2 or 3 years until retirement, i will be 63 and my wife will be 62. I've spent many hours using various tools to gain confidence that we will have a comftable, though not extravagant, pile of treasure to live on. That work continues.
But what am I going to do all day? I want to retire, but I've worked at some type of job for over 45 years. I like golf, I like to relax, read, travel a bit, take a trip to see the kids and grand kids once in awhile and stuff like that.
Do some of you Bogleheads get work, part time or full time? (I don't need the pay). Is puttering around the house suddenly fulfilling? We'll move to the southwest for warmer weather, so I'll have new friends and loads of relatives from Chicago visiting till they get tired of it.
Are there good books to read on the topic? Do some of you Bogleheads have experience in real life retirement on this topic?

I realize there is no simple answer.....but I hope, "Where should we have dinner tonight" isn't the highlight of my day.

:shock: 8-)
I recommend duplicate bridge. It is a very challenging and enjoyable game. There are local club games and tournaments, and even regional and national tournaments. I've been playing for about 3 years now and enjoy it very much. I've been to a couple of regional and national events and even came in first place in a few events. Masters points are the coin of the realm. If you enjoy playing cards you might give it a try.

BearWolf
Khanmots

Post by Khanmots »

Parents have recently done a road trip from Texas to Alaska and back. Mom's doing the Appalachian Trail. They're doing lots of travel and, my mom at least, is doing all the hikes she's always wanted to do.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Dave C. wrote:We've got 2 or 3 years until retirement, i will be 63 and my wife will be 62. I've spent many hours using various tools to gain confidence that we will have a comftable, though not extravagant, pile of treasure to live on. That work continues.
Do some of you Bogleheads get work, part time or full time? (I don't need the pay). Is puttering around the house suddenly fulfilling? We'll move to the southwest for warmer weather, so I'll have new friends and loads of relatives from Chicago visiting till they get tired of it. ...
I've boldfaced your comments that I think hint at what you'll be doing, at least to start, simply because it's what you like to do. And finally doing what you like to do as much or as little as you want to do it is what's so great about retirement - the TIME to do it all and the TIME to discover new interests. I retired in '01 and am still finding new things to do and usually without even looking. New opportunities come along and I've got the time to seize them - and you and your wife will, too.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
hq38sq43

Post by hq38sq43 »

It is such a relief not having to answer the bell each morning and endure the endless meetings. When I took early retirement from federal SES, I worried about the reduced pension. Shouldn't have. There really is life after government service (or whatever service you're in). You'll love it. Read Paul Terhorst's Cashing In on the American Dream. It's a classic on early retirement (or any retirement).

Best regards,
Harry at Bradenton
blacktupelo

Post by blacktupelo »

I retired six years ago; before that I worked 20 hours a week for the 10 years after I decided full time employment was no longer my ideal, and began to find my non-work interests. One of those turned into a part-time volunteer job that now takes 12-20 hours a week. I also have been on the local library board for nine years, the past year as its president.

I've also gotten to visit my elderly parents more often before my mother died three years ago; now dad and I have lunch once a week when I visit to keep his Mac in tip-top shape and assist him in his use of the internet to access his investment accounts. I've exercised more, read, enjoyed leisurely breakfasts, and lived life at my own pace. Been there for my wife who has health issues that need my involvement with our home affairs.

Luckily, through the years, steady guidance from our fee only, passive management investment advisor has put us in a financially solid position.

There's plenty to do; just look.
Larry
rai

Post by rai »

i'm still a long way from retirement so can not say but what I am looking forward to is more time to do things such as walk would like to walk one hour a day, read I have over 1000 books to be read so I would have time to catch up, also watch movies probably more than 1000 movies are made each year and over 100 years of movies have been made so I could easily watch one movie a day for the rest of my life if I had the time. I'd like to take more time on vacations, currently I have to fit my travel into one week windows and don't get to see as much of the country as I'd like to. I'd like to drive around the country taking my time and seeing what there is to see of this country and others.

As well I'd play computer games, surf the internet, play more live poker, see more live sports and plays and concerts as well as go back to college just for fun to take up literature or creative writing.

I guess my work life now is preparing to save up for my retirement.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon. | | "You say that money, isn't everything | But I'd like to see you live without it." - Silverchair
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

Similar to blacktupelo, I worked part-time for 7 years before I retired 3 years ago at age 45. It was in those 7 years that I regained control of my life, resurrecting a long-dormant hobby (advanced-level square dancing) and starting a new one (volunteer work with the local school Scrabble program - see my sceen name?). I also help out at a local college's square dance class. It was tough at times fitting these things into even a flexible part-time work schedule, as I often had schdeuling conflicts. It is also easier for me to get together with those closest to me in my everyday life which include my ladyfriend, my best (male) friend, and my dad. I have also been able to do more reading (of books), something else I like. In the summer, I can go out to my co-op's pool where it is nice and quiet in the late morning.

But the best part of not working is not having to make the long, tiring, often sickening and just plain awful commute. :)
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

joe8d wrote:
Wow, that not what I was hoping to hear.
(I'm in similar situation to the OP...)
Attempted new signature...
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I retired at 62, then worked part time at a similar job in the same company until 69. I always liked to work, it is good for the brain.
We have our 8 year old grandson living with us since he was born. My wife and I went through raising him during daytime when his dad, my son, was at work. There is no problem with not enough activity in this household. Think about going to playgrounds, teacher conference, Mac Donalds, flying a kite, doing homework and projects for school, we are feeling like parents again, keeps us young. Playing golf all day would be meaningless to us.
Plus I love fixing the house and do landscaping and gardening, have 70 conifers and 300 hostas. There are activities for you to pick up to make your life interesting. Good luck!
Muchtolearn

Post by Muchtolearn »

I am nearly 59 1/2. I just went to half time work. My time is now fully busy because of father with advancing dementia about 2 1/2 hours by NJ transit and NYC subway/bus (I hate to drive). And helping kid settle in the city. So I haven't had time to get bored. I now rent and even if I buy have zero incliniation to pass my time doing yardwork and fixing up the house. To me that's work and I might as well work. I don't play golf. I run and could shift to long walks. I read a lot. I am not sure how I will really fill the time. But we must all realize that we never know when we will die (well it really doesn't matter than) or start losing phsyical or mental skills. So I guess we are all smart enough to figure out how to fill a day without having to have it planned in advance. But seeing elderly people deteriorating mentally gives me pause and I will stop work relatively soon.
doublenickel

Post by doublenickel »

As to good books, I recently read the following and found it helpful to stimulate thinking about a lot of retirement issues:

What Color is Your Parachute - for Retirement

By Nelson & Bolles.

Your library should have it.

Happy reading!
investor

Post by investor »

Been retired 16 years. Keep active with: volunteer work at several museums, playing duplicate bridge, taking adult education classes and some woodworking in addition to maintaining my home. You can be a busy as you want to be but you do need hobbies. Finances are not a problem though investing is still a rewarding hobby..

investor
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

My experience has been that one thing leads to another and that a retiree has the time to explore those opportunities.

My Mom's occasional volunteering as a typist at local blood donation drives in the 1960s lead to my donating a couple of times a year. In retirement, I donate on schedule, six times a year, because I have the time for those periodic appointments.

When I first retired, I read 10-14 hours a day by choosing an author, then reading his lifetime works consecutively. Tony Hillerman, Edward Abbey, John Grisham, Michael Crichton, Patrick OBrian, and James Michener took awhile.

Picking up roadside litter in my neighborhood lead to steady volunteer work at the local national forest office. To lose weight, volunteer hiking trail maintenance lead to meeting older, experienced long distance hikers. Last year, I backpacked 1100 miles including a border to border walk across my state. I go hiking when the weather is good, usually about five days between the periodic storms, not constrained by work days. I feel sorry for those weekenders who can only go in Saturday, out Sunday, because of their jobs. That was me for thirty years.

My sister sent me a book about sea kayaking the length of the Baja Peninsula. Now, I'm planning a multi-week, rowboat circumnavigation of Lake Powell, a large scenic reservoir with over a thousand miles of shoreline. My rowboat hull is long and narrow, a good design for distance rowing.

Retirement has been the best years of my life and I wish the same to you.
BikeFan

Post by BikeFan »

I'm not retired, but I do plan on living near (but not in) a major city, to have access to a wide variety of museums, concerts, exhibits, plays, and other cultural opportunities that you might not get in a smaller town. We currently live in the Washington DC suburbs, and though I've been here for many years, I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of the things to do in this city. Just a thought . . .
fandango

Post by fandango »

I have been retired for two years.

Once you get out of the rat race (I was on call 24X7, worked about 60 hours a week), you slowly begin to wind down and find other interests. Many are those you used to have before you started working.

For me:

Weight and aerobic training 10 hours per week
Reading for about 10 hours per week (bought a $79 Kindle and really enjoying it, read at least a book a week)
A couple of new hobbies (acrylic painting and glass fusion)
Enjoying the company of my neighbors (cards, social events, just talking, etc.)
Church activities (attending church, just about to complete a 34 week study of the entire Bible, working on church outreach efforts)
Volunteer work (local food pantry, soup kitchen)
Routine home and auto maintenance

It is nice to have the time to do what you want when you want to do it.

I don't think about my former "life" very much. Occasionally my work friends call me and ask me about life on the "outside". I tell them that it is beyond my wildest expectations. To those who can retire and want advice, I always tell them: "you know how much money you have, but you don't know how much time you have". It is surprising to me how many people have remembered that comment and are now joining me in retirement.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Retired four years ago at 60 ( I had a good role model,, my father called it quits at 59 and lived a happy retirement until he died at 91) from my work at a local hospital. Before retiring I made some connections in China where my wife and I spend 4-5 months a year, I consult with hospitals and outpatient programs developing mental health and drug abuse programs ,all as a volunteer.

Back in Vermont we rent a small apartment on 18 acres of land and the April-October period is filled with gardening, putting up winter firewood, biking, hiking, reading, and visiting with friends. Each night I make a late dinner, sometimes with friends, sometimes the two of us, a bottle of wine and life is SO good.

Our son is 6 hours away and we spend at least a long weekend with his family every six weeks or so.

Not sure how I managed to squeeze work into the schedule.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

I've just finished reading a book called "Get a Life" by (?) Warner - NOLO books, which has it's major premise that a key factor in retirement
is the NON_FINANCIAL factors. ( Likely available at your local library. )
( BTW, he's clearly promoting vanguard funds as the best financialproducts for the financial aspects... so he passes the BH hurdle.)
Juniormint

Post by Juniormint »

I'm a long long way for retirement, but I've always thought I'd like do a couple years in the peace corps. I wish I had done this right after I had graduated with my bachelors, but didn't - so it's a plan for the future.
gwrvmd

Post by gwrvmd »

I am surprised that no one has mentioned fraternal organizations as centers of retiree activities. I retired near Myrtle Beach and there are 2 Moose Lodges, 2 Elks lodges, 2 American Legions and 2 VFWs all of which are social centers for retirees social nites, bus trips, activities to support local schools, museum trips, parties for Super Bowl, World Series, Triple Crown, Masters, NCAA etc. There are more charity activities here than there are recipients. If you are bored, a fraternal organization will put you to work on the Grounds committee, running the website, managing the kitchen, filing their income tax, editing the newsletter,
working on the Post/Lodge/Home Maintance Committee. And they are all group activities with new friends....Gordon
Disciple of John Neff
Ozonewanderer

Post by Ozonewanderer »

I must say that a lot of these responses sound like make busy work - doing something just to have something to do. Taking the time to exercise and stay healthy to do more days of filling up time. I know this life. I'm living it.

I retired 4 years ago. I exercise, read, play golf, go out to eat, and ride motorcycles. That's probably my biggest accomplishment - taking a one month solo ride cross country. Enjoyable, but exhausting.

I think my point is this: some here have made comments about the poster who took up a PT time and said that it is the only thing he looks forward to. I think that's wonderful that he has something that he really looks forward to. It sounds like I, and several others, are staying busy, but I don't hear a passion or eagerness in what we're doing..,.
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

bearwolf wrote: I recommend duplicate bridge. It is a very challenging and enjoyable game. There are local club games and tournaments, and even regional and national tournaments. I've been playing for about 3 years now and enjoy it very much. I've been to a couple of regional and national events and even came in first place in a few events. Masters points are the coin of the realm. If you enjoy playing cards you might give it a try.

BearWolf
+1

I am at the Gatlinburg Regional as I type. Last night in the second round of the Swiss Teams my partner and I played Eric Rodwell and Jeff Meckstroth. They are probably the top two bridge players in the world. Only sport I know where for 11 bucks you can compete against the world's finest players. (we lost the match of course).

I also highly recommend Road Scholar (f/k/a ElderHostel). Great trips with interesting people.

I also just started consulting. We will see how that goes.

Retired 18 months ago at 55. Have not been bored yet but I did my homework before pulling the plug.
Lon

Post by Lon »

It's my opinion that if a person needs to read a book or get advice from others on how to or what to do with their retirement time, they will have a difficult time adjusting and probably would be happier to continue working full or part time.
People with a curious and imaginative personality will have no difficulty in seeking out new things to do and new challenges to meet. 22 years I have been into retirement and I love it. It's like school recess and I don't have to go back to class. :happy
Topic Author
Dave C.

Post by Dave C. »

Lon wrote:It's my opinion that if a person needs to read a book or get advice from others on how to or what to do with their retirement time, they will have a difficult time adjusting and probably would be happier to continue working full or part time.
People with a curious and imaginative personality will have no difficulty in seeking out new things to do and new challenges to meet. 22 years I have been into retirement and I love it. It's like school recess and I don't have to go back to class. :happy

Lon.....really? Reading a book or seeking advice and talking to others about their retirement experiences means that person should skip retirement?

You actually said that people that read books and seek advice are not curious and are not imaginative.

I like you line about long-term "recess"......but maybe you need to read a book or get some advice on your feelings about people who do such unheard of things in the pursuit of direction.

Dave C. (orginal poster). :wink:
Lon

Post by Lon »

Dave C. wrote:
Lon wrote:It's my opinion that if a person needs to read a book or get advice from others on how to or what to do with their retirement time, they will have a difficult time adjusting and probably would be happier to continue working full or part time.

Lon.....really? Reading a book or seeking advice and talking to others about their retirement experiences means that person should skip retirement?

You actually said that people that read books and seek advice are not curious and are not imaginative.

I like you line about long-term "recess"......but maybe you need to read a book or get some advice on your feelings about people who do such unheard of things in the pursuit of direction.

Dave C. (orginal poster). :wink:
No, taking advice from others or reading a book on retirement doesn't mean that person should skip retirement, just that they would probably be happier if they continued working.

There are some things that reading a book or seeking advice from others just won't do. Like how to make love, how to develop a healthy appetite, how to breathe. :wink:
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Lon wrote: No, taking advice from others or reading a book on retirement doesn't mean that person should skip retirement, just that they would probably be happier if they continued working.

There are some things that reading a book or seeking advice from others just won't do. Like how to make love, how to develop a healthy appetite, how to breathe. :wink:
I think I disagree on this also.
Reading books on retirement lifestyle with a critical frame of mind is good; I just borrowed the Parachute book yesterday.
More knowledge is never a bad thing, it's just a matter of determining how it applies to you...
Attempted new signature...
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Lon wrote:There are some things that reading a book or seeking advice from others just won't do. Like how to make love, how to develop a healthy appetite, how to breathe. :wink:
There are some helpful books on each of these topics.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
midareff

Post by midareff »

I officially retired last Thurday but have been out of the office more than in this year, using vacation time I was owed, and have not been to work at all in three weeks now. As a point of reference I am 64 and worked through college, and never stopped. .. that's 46 years now. First, instead of having to crawl out of bed at 6 AM I sleep, alarm clock free, until about 8 AM +/-. I fell MUCH better mentally and physically for the extra sleep.

The day starts with coffee, a couple of cups of Starbucks House Blend (at the moment, but always a premium ground bean). I like to get on the computer and read several "papers" to get the news while I start my day, including market futures. By 10 AM I am ready to go out for my exercise walk, generally about an hour, followed by a shave and shower and before you know it, it is lunch time.

I have started handling projects in the afternoon that I could never seem to get to. Have had the carpets cleaned, the master bathroom patched and repainted and this afternoon rewired the cable service to cover another room by using a remote extender I had for years instead of renting another cable box (no monthly money, very Bogelish). I have also spent a great deal of time researching mixes of bond funds to see if there are more optimum mixes of duration and SEC than the TBM standard.

I am now planning the replacement of several items (all electronic stereo gear) that have been destroyed by voltage spikes over the last three years or so, and am looking forward to having some time to seriously listen to lots of albums I would like to catch up on. An hour a day if I can find the time. I would also like to find the time for more reading..... an of course there must be hundreds of movies I have missed, that are on the bazillion cable channels my condo supplies with the monthly maintenance.

I am also planning a two month trip to Thailand for this summer. I spent 16 days touring Kenya and Tanzania in February, so I have to mention planning for International travel as well. Then there is my photography .....

If all else fails there is always comedy on TV .... some guy on CNBC named....... LOL!

So much to do, so little time. Don't even have time for an afternoo nap so far.
MOBY DICK

Post by MOBY DICK »

Dave,
You need to think about re-purposing yourself. If you've got smarts enough to be here and prepping for the plunge into retirement forget all this nonsense about seeking out more work. We as a group probably live better than 99% of the planet.
Perhaps its time to give back...lean your thinking towards volunteering for a cause that's close to your heart. There are plenty of individuals out there who need assistance in one form or another. Nothing will make you feel as good as this will and may only take up comparatively little of your time.
I'm 10 years from retirement but work in an industry that has many "oldtimers" and I've seen many messy retirements that were nothing like what was planned and yes,their lack of imagination led them back to work.
As a final note I would recommend "How to retire Happy, Wild, and Free" by Ernie J. Zelinski.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

What? You have a career and work for decades so you can retire. Then the first thing you think of to do is to go back to work? I wouldn't read a book for recommendations unless you lived your life waiting to be told what to do. Look in the mirror and ask that person what you want to do.

I have been out of work for two and a half years and have not ever been bored. I look forward to each day, filling time that now belongs to me and not the company. Because it is my time, I look for quality and meaningful things to do. No one can tell you what you should do.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

Interesting reads and one I’ve been wondering about myself. What to do when I retire?

I’m eligible for early retirement from Federal Government at age 56. But the wife and I have discussed what exactly would I do when I do retire? I’m one of those guys that get bored after a long 3 day weekend. I’m both a lark and an insomniac, so its not like I have any desire to sleep in. Because I only require 4-6 hrs of sleep a night, I spend a lot of time reading and watching TV. Don’t play golf. Already exercise 2 hrs a day.

Oh and I actually like my job. As I move every 2 to 3 years, usually to a new country, its always interesting.

It then boils down to what do I like to do when I’m not working, and the answer comes back to travel. I love going to places I’ve never been before. In my current career, I’ve been able to live in 6 countries, with access to travel in neighboring countries. All while keeping a fulltime job and 6 weeks of annual leave a year. So why would I quite a career where I can travel for a lot less?

So my rhetorical question to myself is why in the world would you ever want to retire? And the only reason I can come up with is, if my health declines and I’m forced to. That’s my 2 cents worth.
The question isn't at what age I want to retire, it is at what income. - George Foreman
hudson

Post by hudson »

heyyou wrote:My experience has been that one thing leads to another and that a retiree has the time to explore those opportunities.

My sister sent me a book about sea kayaking the length of the Baja Peninsula. Now, I'm planning a multi-week, rowboat circumnavigation of Lake Powell, a large scenic reservoir with over a thousand miles of shoreline. My rowboat hull is long and narrow, a good design for distance rowing.
I'm interested in details about your rowboat. I went on a test ride in a Little River Heritage 15"...more of a classic rowboat and liked it. I'm also interested in their Cambridge Shell. I didn't get to test a shell...but I've rowed an Alden Ocean Shell a number of times. I'm not on the water so I'd have to find a way to transport a boat. I could car top a light shell....maybe a separate rowboat discussion is needed?
pjstack

Post by pjstack »

I retired at 44 (I was single then and for a long time thereafter) and never found myself bored.

I do admit I spent too much time doing unhealthful things, like staying at bars too long and too late, but I also did a lot of fun things like serving as a grunt worker on various archaeological and paleontological expeditions. Those trips (and others) took me to places I'd never been before and gave me a sense of accomplishment.

Don't take your present good health for granted! It can vanish in a moment and you may not be able to do much of anything when it does, so do what you can now while you're able. (I speak from experience.)

If you get under your wife's feet too often, she'll probably be happy to suggest some activities!!
pjstack
sometimesinvestor

Post by sometimesinvestor »

I am surprised that to this point there have been lots of posts with no one recommending adult education courses or auditing courses at a local college (often at a very low cost for retirees), I think this activity is potentially of great value for a few hours/week. In the last year I have learned things about the history of India,the demographics of voters, the difference between whatwe think we know about the civil war and what is true etc.None of the information will improve portfolio performance but all courses have helped stimulate my thoughts.
pjstack

Post by pjstack »

I forgot to mention Adult Education courses, which are a great way to get additional knowledge. I actually had some GI bill left over and went back to college full time to study anthropology and earth science. It was wonderful!
pjstack
sport

Post by sport »

Three previous posters have mentioned duplicate bridge. It is a great hobby. It keeps your mind active, and you meet interesting people. You can also play as much or as little as you wish. If you want more information, see www.acbl.org.

Jeff
beyou

Post by beyou »

No disrespect to your question, but after working at a high stress job 50-70 hrs/week for almost 3 decades,
I ask myself the opposite question... how much longer can I take it.
What to do with my day when I retire is the only thing i do NOT worry about !
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

A couple of things can be added by everyone that will increase energy and keep you moving. Join a health club or figure some way to exercise daily. Learn to cook or cook healthily. Figure out why you are retiring before doing so. I say I never retired, just shiften my prioriies. I was fortunate enough to be able to go from five to four to three to two days working weekly which provided an opportunity to fill in time with desired things while still working. Now work half a day weekly, keep up the house and yard, fish and have recently purchased a recreation property. Wife still works full-time but is planning retirement. It is very nice to move downward in sequences if your job allows that.

Tim
GregLee

Post by GregLee »

pjstack wrote:... did a lot of fun things like serving as a grunt worker on various archaeological and paleontological expeditions. Those trips (and others) took me to places I'd never been before and gave me a sense of accomplishment.
So, where all did you go?
Greg, retired 8/10.