are polarized sunglasses worth the extra $$?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Go Blue 99

are polarized sunglasses worth the extra $$?

Post by Go Blue 99 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:30 am

I'm in the market for a new pair of sunglasses. They will be for occasional outdoor use, but the primary use will be for driving. I have heard a lot of people say polarized sunglasses are the way to go for sharper vision. But they are also more expensive. Do you think polarized is the way to go?

flossy21

Re: are polarized sunglasses worth the extra $$?

Post by flossy21 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:35 am

Yes -- every penny -- especially for driving -- you will noticed a big difference in the clarity and lack of haze/glare between polarized and non-polarized sunglasses.

Mortgasm

Post by Mortgasm » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:43 am

Absolutely worth it.

hand

Post by hand » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:47 am

Absolutely worth it for driving or for water / snow!

Before buying, be sure you know what type of sunglass owner you are.

Frequently lose / break / replace for fashion reasons? There are plenty of quality bargain brands out there, and you can save some money by buying plastic lenses.

Take good care and use for years? Buy high quality glass lenses. I'm partial to Revos for driving as they highlight brake / stop lights, but know the brand has gone through significant changes in the past couple years, so may longer be as strong from a quality perspective.

Topic Author
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:05 am

hand wrote:Absolutely worth it for driving or for water / snow!

Before buying, be sure you know what type of sunglass owner you are.

Frequently lose / break / replace for fashion reasons? There are plenty of quality bargain brands out there, and you can save some money by buying plastic lenses.

Take good care and use for years? Buy high quality glass lenses. I'm partial to Revos for driving as they highlight brake / stop lights, but know the brand has gone through significant changes in the past couple years, so may longer be as strong from a quality perspective.
I tend to take good care of my sunglasses and have them for 5+ years. I am considering an entry-level pair of Maui Jims. They appear to have excellent reviews as a brand.

SteveB3005

Post by SteveB3005 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:07 am

For fishing it's unquestionable.Image

dickenjb

Post by dickenjb » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:20 am

Go Blue 99 wrote: I tend to take good care of my sunglasses and have them for 5+ years. I am considering an entry-level pair of Maui Jims. They appear to have excellent reviews as a brand.
I love my MJ's. I have Ho'okipa, cost about $150.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:23 am

Definitely....even more$$.

Look at this demo view: http://www.polaroideyewear.com/en/Polar ... nDemo.aspx
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

gatorman

Post by gatorman » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:32 am

Go Blue 99 wrote:I'm in the market for a new pair of sunglasses. They will be for occasional outdoor use, but the primary use will be for driving. I have heard a lot of people say polarized sunglasses are the way to go for sharper vision. But they are also more expensive. Do you think polarized is the way to go?
I really like them for fishing. I can see very far into the water, perhaps 50 feet or so, if the light is right, and can see the fish attack my bait. I think green lenses work best for fishing.

gatorman

swaption

Post by swaption » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:51 am

Definitely yes, but unfortunately have run into a rpoblem with my new pre-owned BMW, where I suppose it was also worth the money to polarize the face of the radio. Unfortunately, when polarized radio meets polarized glasses, you get darkness. So now I have to either take off my sunglasses or turn my head sideways to see the radio. Kind of a pain, but fortunately, the car more than makes up for it :happy .

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:16 am

Go Blue 99 wrote:I tend to take good care of my sunglasses and have them for 5+ years. I am considering an entry-level pair of Maui Jims. They appear to have excellent reviews as a brand.
I'd say go for it. I used to buy $20 sunglasses every six months because I'd lose them. A friend convinced me that I wouldn't lose them if I bought a pair of Maui Jim's and that I'd like them better. He was right and I've had them for more than 2 years.

The biggest thing I like about the glasses - and this probably has at least partly to do with polarization - is that the colors and vision is true on them, almost like not having glasses on. On nice days while driving, I used to take my old glasses off to enjoy the scenery and colors better. I don't have to do that any more.

JT

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:55 am

Go Blue 99 wrote:Do you think polarized is the way to go?
As a professional driver I can say polarized sunglasses are an essential safety item. -- Tet

Puakinekine

Post by Puakinekine » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:59 am

I agree with the above posters. But, if you still are in doubt, try a cheap pair from a fishing store or a drugstore that carries them and see how you like them. I would not have any other kind.

etarini

Post by etarini » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:16 pm

Okay, I'm becoming convinced, and I started with only a casual interest in this thread.

Has anyone found a reliable and reasonably priced source of polarized sunglasses, either in stores or on the Internet?

I wanted to say "cheap," as long as perfomance isn't dramatically compromised. I've tried on my friend's Maui Jims, and they're very nice but I don't want to spend that kind of money. I just want something that cuts glare (and provides the sunglasses function) at the lowest price for that capability.

Eric

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:30 pm

Gordon

tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:43 pm

I have prescription, polarized, Maui Jims and love them for driving, boating, etc. You do get some wierd effects from the tinting on the windows, stereo faceplate, etc. but overall a minor issue.

Go Blue!
(Residency, '07; Fellowship '08)
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister

imagardener

Post by imagardener » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:43 pm

I love Costa Del Sol polarized glasses.
I strongly suggest this is one thing to purchase in-person not online because the fit on your nose and ears is super important and I like to try them on one after the other to narrow it down. I also really need to see a sunny sky (not deep in a mall) to decide quality of lens. I am a photographer and very picky about vision quality.

My last pair I bought at a fishing shop in Sarasota FL because they had many good brands. Yes I had to pay sales tax but the peace of mind was worth it.
Later I broke a lens (my fault) and was able to have it replaced by the company by mailing it back, way cheaper than buying another pair.

dickenjb

Post by dickenjb » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:10 pm

tludwig23 wrote:I have prescription, polarized, Maui Jims and love them for driving, boating, etc. You do get some wierd effects from the tinting on the windows, stereo faceplate, etc. but overall a minor issue.

Go Blue!
(Residency, '07; Fellowship '08)
It has nothing to do with tinting on the windows. It has everything to do with the polyvinyl butyral used in safety glass which itself is a polarizer when oriented. Crossed polarizers = no light.

Go Green! (Michigan State University PhD 1982)

Yipee-Ki-O

Post by Yipee-Ki-O » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:14 pm

Has anyone found a reliable and reasonably priced source of polarized sunglasses, either in stores or on the Internet?

I found Ray-Bans that I liked in Costco. They also have some under their Kirkland label.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:16 pm

Yipee-Ki-O wrote:Has anyone found a reliable and reasonably priced source of polarized sunglasses, either in stores or on the Internet?

I found Ray-Bans that I liked in Costco. They also have some under their Kirkland label.
+1 on Costco for decent polarized sunglasses
Being a boglehead - I chose Kirkland polarized sunglasses - no complaints

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:18 pm

yesss

tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:20 pm

dickenjb wrote:
tludwig23 wrote:I have prescription, polarized, Maui Jims and love them for driving, boating, etc. You do get some wierd effects from the tinting on the windows, stereo faceplate, etc. but overall a minor issue.
It has nothing to do with tinting on the windows. It has everything to do with the polyvinyl butyral used in safety glass which itself is a polarizer when oriented. Crossed polarizers = no light.
Thanks for the info, good to know. I knew that the black lines were due to crossed polarizers, but didn't know this was related to the safety glass.
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:50 pm

Best bargain I have found are the LL Bean polarized sport sunglasses. I have not checked recently, but something like $40-$50. I have never found cheaper sunglasses that are worth anything (to me, tend to be hazy and just enough distortion to give me a headache after a while).

The LL Bean glasses are very good, but they are not as good as my wife's $200 Maui Jim glasses, but close. But if I lose or scratch them up I care about 20% as much...

Someone mentioned a polarized radio that caused some problems. I had a cell phone with the same problem which was a pain as I used the phone for GPS directions - had to take off the glasses to see anything. Fortunately my current phone does not have that problem.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:18 pm

Polarized sunglasses are absolutely worth the extra cost. The difference is night and day. But I don't buy them. My last pair was ruined by my baby nephew. My daughter has already bent at least one of my cheap $5 glasses. I'll continue with cheap until I'm done with babies.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:36 pm

No doubt about it. You want polarized. I couldn't function without them now. I'm spoiled. I tried to wear a older UN-polarized pair last month and found them worthless.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

TheEternalVortex

Post by TheEternalVortex » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:49 pm

I got some nice ones for $17 so it's hardly a huge burden. They are pretty awesome.

Hat

Post by Hat » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:00 pm

I also agree that polarized is the way to go. Bolle is a reasonably priced brand with decent quality.

rob

Post by rob » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:24 pm

Go Blue 99 wrote:I tend to take good care of my sunglasses and have them for 5+ years. I am considering an entry-level pair of Maui Jims. They appear to have excellent reviews as a brand.
Go for it - great glasses. I owned a pair for years and years before I lost them recently :-( Well worth the price!!
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:17 pm

Yes, I think they're very much worth it. The loss of viewing angle with LCDs is a small price to pay most of the time.

I have a dedicated pair of prescription sunglasses, they're polarized neutral gray. They make driving in glare a much easier and less stressful task, though the stress spots in some cars' glass look odd at first.

Glass is best if you are ok with the weight, but good optical plastic (NOT polycarbonate) can be very good as well.

-janet

pochax

Post by pochax » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:58 am

Absolutely Yes, but they are really no more expensive in the "cheap" knockoff-type sunglasses. go to a mall kiosk where you can buy polarized for <$20. they work just fine (btw, i own $250 polarized oakleys for comparison as well - the oakleys are constructed better - not $200+ better though, but the vision/polarization is not significantly difference).

tdogz

Post by tdogz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:23 am

etarini wrote:Has anyone found a reliable and reasonably priced source of polarized sunglasses, either in stores or on the Internet?
I've used Panama Jack polarized sunglasses from Wal-mart for over a decade now (I think I'm on my third pair, which I've had for about 4-5 years). They were about $10-$15 last time I looked. Total, I've spent $30-$35 on polarized sunglasses over 10+ years.

ugakbk

Post by ugakbk » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:25 pm

Absolutlely worth it, especially if you do anything in or around the water. I prefer Costa Del Mar, a fishing sunglass brand, but have some cheapies from WalMart currently that are working just fine. The warranty on Costa's is superb if any defects come up, and they offer "repairs" for damage that you cost which essentially buys you a new pair at a large discount. Last pair of Costa's is somewhere currently on the bottom of Ossabaw Sound. :oops:

norookie

Post by norookie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:26 am

HDepot carries many both safety, and polarized. :mrgreen: under 25bucks 8-)
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:54 pm

Gotta say, I totally disagree with everyone here.

I'm a triathlete and have gone through countless pairs of sunglasses, from priciest to rock bottom. About half were polarized.

The polarized glasses did nothing for me. If anything, they made manhole covers on the road look bizarrely prominent, which was more of a hazard than anything else - the non polarized were definitely better for that feature alone for cycling and running for me.

I have two pairs for driving, and even now, I constantly think, "why the heck would someone pay 2x the cost for polarization, which causes no substantive improvement for me in what I see through the windshield?"

I totally don't think it's worth the extra $$, and at least for me with running/cycling, I vastly prefer nonpolarized lenses since there are less distracting contrasts in the field of view.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:33 pm

Ack, you people. :oops: I was perfectly unhappy with my cheap $2 Big Lots sunglasses. And I wasn't going to do anything about it. And now I bought these. I hope Bogleheads forum is happy with their Amazon referral fee. 8-)

semperlux

Post by semperlux » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:58 pm

hicabob wrote:+1 on Costco for decent polarized sunglasses
Being a boglehead - I chose Kirkland polarized sunglasses - no complaints
+2 on Costco's Kirkland polarized sunglasses. Relatively cheap for polarized sunglasses at around $20, good quality, doesn't hurt as much loosing or scratching them at the $20 price point.

stonefrog

Post by stonefrog » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:26 pm

Absolutely! I switched a year ago (from unpolarized) and will not go back. Since they reduce the intensity of blinding sun reflections off cars, metal, glass, snow, ice etc. I consider them a safety item while driving -- less time squinting or blinking and more time keeping my eyes on the road. The reflections off the windshields of oncoming cars is reduced too and I can see their drivers better so it helps to know where they are looking, if they are holding a cellphone and so on.

wlpotts

Post by wlpotts » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:15 am

lightheir wrote:Gotta say ...

I'm a triathlete and have gone through countless pairs of sunglasses, from priciest to rock bottom. About half were polarized.

The polarized glasses did nothing for me. If anything,.. the non polarized were definitely better for that feature alone for cycling and running for me.

I have two pairs for driving, and even now, I constantly think, "why the heck would someone pay 2x the cost for polarization, which causes no substantive improvement for me in what I see through the windshield?"

I totally don't think it's worth the extra $$, and at least for me with running/cycling, I vastly prefer nonpolarized lenses ...
Lightheir has a point, as a triathlete, the individual is comfortable with using non-polorized glasses for two out of three of his/her events. The third segment of the triathlon may not be applicable since the activity might be swimming, mountain climbing or another challenge that does not require sun protection.

That said, people live in different enviroments and participate in their life experiences differently. If you reside or travel within snowy/icy environments, participate in any alpine winter sports or you're an outdoors person where reflective/refractive light is prevailent, you will burn your eyes without polorization. If you happen to reside near any coastal regions, waterways, or if you participate in any aquatic sport experiences you must protect your eyes and vision with polarization.

Arguably, the human experiece has five senses to live ones life; touch, smell, hearing, taste, and sight. One should not take any of these sensory systems for granted.

While we can fill up up our gas guzzling vehicles at whatever the price of petrol is or purchase whatever self-gratifying product that serves our immediate need, it seems absurd to me to save $3, $5, $10 or X bucks to purchase a marginal product that does not protect our sense of vision. I'd rather enhance my immediate perspective of our world and protect my future by spending the extra $.

Respectfully,
wlpotts
Some have it. Some don't. Either way, here I am!

dvincent1166

Post by dvincent1166 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:31 am

Heck yeah
How else are you going to see the Bass when they are on the beds.

cjackson0

Post by cjackson0 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:58 am

I love my polarized perscription sunglasses.
Sent from my iphone

anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:00 pm

etarini wrote:
Here in Los Angeles, there's a sporting goods store, Big 5, which has clearance glasses from top brands. I've bought two pairs of Serengetis (list at $150 o so) for $50-55. Keep an eye on their weekly ad: http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/ They're also good for Swiss Army watches.

Post by 555 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:02 pm

Why is this a polarized sunglasses discussion? Is there no grey area?

Radnog

Post by Radnog » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:06 pm

Yes, polarized glasses are worth every cent.

Go Buckeyes!