Computer buffs: antivirus for Mac?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Tony

Post by Tony » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:33 am

Hi folks,

We have had Macs for awhile now, and until recently we've felt safe without antivirus software.
But these days, just about every time we check the news, there's an article about lack of privacy online, problems of security, hacking, malware and so on.

So we are wondering: is it time to get antivirus software, and if so, which do you recommend?

Thank you and best wishes!
Tony

Pacific

Re: Computer buffs: antivirus for Mac?

Post by Pacific » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:33 am

I use Sophos Anti-Virus. It is free.

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:00 am

I also use Sophos, but only because my work insists I have anti-virus software to be able to connect to my office Windows computer via VPN. I think of it as like the old Maytag repairman. :)

My biggest security measure is booting with a live CD whenever I do anything sensitive like banking or investments. I've been using the DOD's LIghtweight Portable Security for this, as it conveniently includes a free encryption program, which makes me feel safer e-mailing to myself a downloaded PDF statement from a financial site if I happen to not have a USB thumb drive handy.

tah18

Post by tah18 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:38 am

I've used ClamXav which is also free. I've set up the "sentry" part of it to automatically monitor any folders that may receive new files from the "outside" (e.g., "Downloads", "Mail Downloads", etc...). I really don't know a lot about virus software or computer security, but it seems to work well. Might want to check it out. I have never used Sophos, so can't compare. Would be interested in hearing from others any comparison between the two.

I know that many say that anti-virus software for Mac OS is largely unnecessary, but hey, you never know.

Jake46

Post by Jake46 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:42 am

I've used Virus Barrier for several years.

shawcroft

Post by shawcroft » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:43 am

I have used Sophos, ClamXav, and Virus Barrier. Sophos is the clear winner to me.
Shawcroft

Tony

Post by Tony » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:47 am

Thanks for all the replies so far. We'll look into these and any others anyone suggests.

Best wishes!
Tony

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:55 am

I use nothing. Mac user for many years. My computer is always updated with the latest stuff and I only visit "good websites."

PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:21 am

cheesepep wrote:I use nothing. Mac user for many years. My computer is always updated with the latest stuff and I only visit "good websites."
+1