Blinds or drapes for sliding glass door?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mediahound

Blinds or drapes for sliding glass door?

Post by mediahound »

I have a sliding glass door which leads out to my terrace in my condo.

It currently has old vertical blinds that are breaking so I need to do something to replace them and am considering updating the look.

I don't have any experience with window treatments so am wondering what people's opinions are on what I should get?

I do like to be able to make the room bit dark for say watching a movie in the room during the day.

The vertical blinds have been doing fine for that so far.

Should I change to drapes with a sheer layer instead? Or perhaps some sort of shade system? Or, should I just get new vertical blinds?
Toons

Re: Blinds or drapes for sliding glass door?

Post by Toons »

I've had both over the years for patio sliding door and have found I prefer vertical blinds,easy to clean lightweight :happy :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Vertical blinds are an abomination. They never work right and are always breaking. Just do a poll, you will find that the vast majority of folks hate vertical blind like me. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
norookie

Post by norookie »

Toons wrote:I've had both over the years for patio sliding door and have found I prefer vertical blinds,easy to clean lightweight :happy :happy
8-) me too!
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Hate them or not, they are the best solution for a sliding glass door.
Topic Author
mediahound

Post by mediahound »

livesoft wrote:Vertical blinds are an abomination. They never work right and are always breaking. Just do a poll, you will find that the vast majority of folks hate vertical blind like me. :)
I don't totally hate them and do believe they are fairly functional. That said, I think I may want a change. I just don't know what to change too.

A friend of mine recommended sliding panels. Anyone have any experience with those?
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

You should take a look at J.C. Penny's. They offer the best price/value for window treatments. Go to a store, the web site doesn't have the full range of stuff.

They offer a lot of options. If you have a patio-sized door you can get a fabric "patio panel" drape for about $100. Figure another $50 for the rod.

They sell really nice black-out panels you hang as underliners for drapes and curtains. You definitely want one of these. They make a room completely dark and they're very insulating.

They also sell custom options including blinds. January or February is when they have their big annual sale on those, so unfortunately you just missed it, but sometimes the clerks in the drapery dept. will tell you when the next sale is scheduled.

Penny's offers regular codes and coupons for 15 percent off. You fill out a survey on the web site for instance, print out a barcode and take it into the store. Google "Penny's discount code" or something like that.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

There are vertical blinds that look like drapes when they are closed. You can replace the plastic valance with a cloth valance, matching the color of the blinds to give the illusion of true cloth drapes while retaining the advantage of being able to clean them easily.
edge

Post by edge »

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

jenny345 wrote:I prefer drapes. Someone at Home Depot told me only old people came in for drapes, that they were out of style. In the end we got vertical blinds. They probably look more up to date, but I think the drapes insulated better and were cheaper.

Next time I will get drapes again. I second buying window treatments at J.C. Penney, especially during their window treatment sales. You can get on their mailing list for extra discounts, too. I like the service at our local Penney's store for design help. I would pay extra for that over just ordering something online. The sales person we see there has much better taste than we do. :)
Yeah! :D I recently replaced the drapes in my living and dining rooms and basically let the Penny's sales lady pick them out since I have absolutely no taste. I just brought in a couple upholstery swatches. They look fantastic, and the whole shebang ended up costing me under $300. :D :D Definitely a Boglehead solution.

I love drapes, I love what they do to a room. And I love how they soften the acoustics in a room. But then I'm kinda old-fashioned.
thirdman

Post by thirdman »

If the hardware for the verticals is OK then you can get new slats for the verticals. If the hardware sticks, you can lubricate the mechanisms with silicone spray. Try to not get the silicone on glass, since it is hard to clean. There are many different choices for slats and inserts in slats. You can take a current vertical slat with you when you go to choose, and they can be cut then. Home Depot and other sellers sell and cut the slats.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

Roller shades? I'm happy with the ones I have on our large windows. I guess it depends on how often you want to open and close them. I have 5 in our southwest facing living room and I don't mind rolling them up and down once per day (down in the afternoon in summer to cut down on overheating and down at night in the winter for insulation), but it would bug me to do it every time I wanted go somewhere.

Here's a a short article that is exactly on point: http://blog.blindstogo.com/finding-alte ... ass-doors/ It lists the alternatives as panel tracks, custom horizontals, and various types of shades.
tonsofthorns

Post by tonsofthorns »

My wife convinced me to spend some money on our current house and put in PVC Sliding Shutter Doors on our two sliding doors. I can say I like everything about them but the price. They do keep rooms insulated and keep the light out during the day, if closed.
In my rental, I use vertical blinds mainly because they are economical and are readily available.
I hope this helps.
Good Luck!
imagardener

Post by imagardener »

tonsofthorns wrote:My wife convinced me to spend some money on our current house and put in PVC Sliding Shutter Doors on our two sliding doors. I can say I like everything about them but the price. They do keep rooms insulated and keep the light out during the day, if closed.
In my rental, I use vertical blinds mainly because they are economical and are readily available.
I hope this helps.
Good Luck!
We just replaced the PVC sliding shutters on our living room sliding doors with vertical blinds. The sliding shutters did look classy (previous owner installed them in the living room and big bedroom) but they simply did not let enough view or light in. When they are "open" only half the opening is open because they stack on the sliding door not off it and they are fairly large, maybe 4'+ wide each.

We have lived in several homes with many sliding doors and vertical blinds are our preference and always a shade of white. We order online and self-install.
Drapes are very "old school" and catch dust, but necessary if you have high end decor (we don't).
There is a beautiful sheer fabric panel with wide wood slats and wand to open/close made by Levelor but too pricey for us.

P.S. We did recycle the removed shutter doors. Called the previous owner who came and got the whole shebang, free.