Do you read the Wall Street Journal?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 106

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Do any Bogleheads read the Wall Street Journal on a daily basis?

Do you pay for the internet or print versions, or both?

If not, do you consider the paper to expensive and time consuming?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Johm221122

Re: Do you read the Wall Street Journal?

Post by Johm221122 »

Yes and there was a good article today recommending I bonds for your cash or emergency fund.A little late but.....
I get it free at work
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I read it when I can.
I'd like to be able to access it online, but it costs $200 a year and I can't easily justify that expenditure...
Attempted new signature...
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

I read the print version 6 days a week, thanks to 9 months subscription bought with airline miles. It is a very good paper, except for the editorial section.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

If I can read the articles for free, then I will do so. If I have to pay even 1 cent to WSJ, then I will not do so. There are many ways to read some of the articles for free.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Riprap

Post by Riprap »

I read the Kindle version. I received the print edition for many years, but grew weary of the renewal games, especially after Newscorp took over. I constantly receive 'welcome back" offers for print and online for $10.99 per month which is now much less than the Kindle version. As I recall, my renewal rate was to be >$50 per month. Honestly, I don't understand why WSJ does this to long time readers.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Read it daily and have for years ever since i dropped the N Y Times.
gwrvmd

Post by gwrvmd »

Yes, I read the WSJ and have subscribed for about 6 years,initially for $99.00/year, now about $129.00/year (delivered daily about 1,000 miles from Wall St). It is an excellent business publication and is becoming more of a general newspaper which has made it the largest selling daily newspaper in the US. It surpassed USA Today and The New York Times about 2 years ago.
In addition to good business and finance coverage; on the weekend (Saturday) it has two sections covering: books, culture, science, commerce, humor, politics, technology, art, cooking, style, fashion, design, travel, cars and gadgets
If you live outside a large metropolitan area you don't have much choice: its either CNN or WSJ.
I am now going to apply it Dow Jones/News Corp for my free years subscription :happy Gordon
Disciple of John Neff
dkdoy

Post by dkdoy »

I read the print version daily and have for many years.
chaz

Post by chaz »

No - just read on this forum.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

Well, I used to take the print version for years, then discontinued it in 2011. If I find it free (online or in the public library), then I'll read selected pieces, especially Walt Mossberg on technology.
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld
dcb

Post by dcb »

I read it 6 days a week for its news and views and have for years. Great paper.
Dingle

Post by Dingle »

Once in a while.
rustygunn

Post by rustygunn »

No, not since Rupert Murdoch took possession. Never a big fan of yellow sheets and tabloids. The content just isn't worth the price of admission.
Allocationist

Post by Allocationist »

Yes, although the new ownership seems be taking a more narrow slant on reporting that I don't like.

Also, I've noticed each visit to their web site results in an attempt to load eleven tracking elements to my browser (Firefox with the Ghostery add-on). They apparently sell or distribute their subscriber's E-mail addresses to spammers. The spam usually kicks in within a few weeks of my giving the WSJ a new faux e-mail address so I know the source of the spam.

After their recent large online subscription price increases, I have been letting my annual subscription lapse. Within a month I get a "we want you back" offer of $79 per year that I have taking although I may not renew in the future.

I have subscribed to the New York Times online and have found the coverage much wider in scope and more in-depth than the "new" WSJ.

JMO
SamB

Post by SamB »

I read the print version, and have done so for about 15 years. The financial news was always done pretty badly in other newspapers I read in the 70's and 80's. I expect financial news and a business point of view from the WSJ, and that is invariably what I get. If they ever cease this slant, and try to be the all-around objective, last word newspaper, then I will cease reading it. I have spent enough time with "objective" newspapers, and news media, for that matter.
lovinVG

Post by lovinVG »

Online/iPad edition. Worth every penny for its economic/investing insight without hype
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Johm221122 wrote:Yes and there was a good article today recommending I bonds for your cash or emergency fund.A little late but.....
I get it free at work
I don't get the Journal, but I was interviewed for that article. Anyone have a free link?
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Johm221122 wrote:Yes and there was a good article today recommending I bonds for your cash or emergency fund.A little late but.....
I get it free at work
I don't get the Journal, but I was interviewed for that article. Anyone have a free link?
If you know the wording of the headline a quick google search should get you to it. I'm not sure why that works but it usually does.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I read the print version, usually for six months at a time, when I run across a good deal. As chance would have it I was able to redeem some e-rewards dollars earlier today for a six month subscription. I refuse to pay their exorbitant regular rates.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:
I get it free at work
If you know the wording of the headline a quick google search should get you to it. I'm not sure why that works but it usually does.
Thanks. I was able to find it. I was interviewed for the I Bond section of the article.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

I used to buy a copy whenever I was caught without something to read. I've pretty much quit due to what feels to me like a breakdown in the firewalls between journalism and opinion sections and also a general dumbing down of the whole thing.
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

I read parts when I see decent articles. The financial content has suffered some since News Corp took over, however it is making money and growing when most other papers are going down the tubes. Broadening it's scope would seem to be working from a business point of view. Unlike some, I do not see much of an editorial slant in the non opinion pages.
Just checked my local papers rates $300 annually vs the WSJ @ $140 for both print and online. Am I missing something? why do folks say it's over priced?
Last edited by Padlin on Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards | Bob
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

Alex Frakt wrote:I used to buy a copy whenever I was caught without something to read. I've pretty much quit due to what feels to me like a breakdown in the firewalls between journalism and opinion sections and also a general dumbing down of the whole thing.
Same here. I pick up FT every once in a while. Usually for business news I scan the headlines on Bloomberg.com.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

I agree that WSJ has been dumbed down, but still read it and think its the best daily national newspaper. I don't use WSJ for investing advice.

I like Jason Zweig's column every Saturday.

We have home delivery ($9.92/mo.), and I read WSJ on Kindle ($0.99 per copy) when away from home.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

I browse it free at the library and find an article or two some days I want to read. Some days not.

I never read the opinion pieces, whose positions seem to be scattered more and more around the regular parts of the paper.

There are some good articles in the week-end edition.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

I have read the WSJ for years but not recently. I enjoyed their non-financial articles. Never read it for investing advice.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
j920

Post by j920 »

The Wizard wrote:I read it when I can.
I'd like to be able to access it online, but it costs $200 a year and I can't easily justify that expenditure...
+1.

I paid for the weekend print version for a little while, but could not justify it and subsequently cancelled.
Juniormint

Post by Juniormint »

I borrow it and other magazines from the library. Take it home for two or three days and then bring it back.
Jake46

Post by Jake46 »

I've read the online version for several years. I enjoy the reporting & ignore the opinions.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

I read it everyday. I used to read print version in college but I have migrated online/app on phone.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

I can't keep up with a daily paper. I subscribe to The Economist (weekly) and skim headlines via Google News and my local paper's web site.
jaytheman

Post by jaytheman »

abuss368 wrote:Do any Bogleheads read the Wall Street Journal on a daily basis?

Do you pay for the internet or print versions, or both?

If not, do you consider the paper to expensive and time consuming?
I get it everyday on my ereader. I don't consider it too expensive right now as I have a great deal to learn and am very close to retirement. Basically, I have been ignorant of taxes and investments my whole life and have a lot of catching up to do in a very short period of time.

I think it is mostly too much to get to every day for a working person, once or twice a week would work for a working person. You can get individual copies for $1 on your ereader. I now skim articles and do some research on topics that I need to know more on. I have found it to be very worthwhile.
penumbra

Post by penumbra »

Have a subscription, and read parts of it everyday. Their opinion/editorial page is awful, at least for my politics. But they have good financial articles of all types, a wonderful month end survey of the markets, etc., and a Personal Section everyday that my wife and I love.

Best deal I've found is to buy it with miles. Roughly 3300 miles for a year subscription. At 1 or 1.5 cents per mile, that's $33 or 50/year. I consider it a bargain.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

I read it for years; when I was doing farm work we would take a break for two hours each noon, I would eat my lunch with the Journal and then take a nap before resumng work at 2 PM. I have also suffered from low blood pressure, reading the editorials was the rx my doc gave me :D

With Rupert at the helm it is too much lifestyle, not enough life so it has gone bye bye. For years I was getting it at the educational discount price, I think it was $79 a year and worth that but not a penny more.

The Economist is my must read each week and it is well worth its $79 annual subscription.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
SheebaElwood

Post by SheebaElwood »

It is now garbage fluff.
Eleazer

Post by Eleazer »

I used to. I feel it has become a right wing rag. I got rid of Time and Newsweek because they are left wing rags. When it comes to financials I want the facts, just the facts. I will read other publications for political claptrap.
ElJay

Post by ElJay »

I don't regularly read it, mostly because their paywall seems to keep getting more and more aggressive. The news operation was good at one point, but I haven't really kept up on it in the past few years. The idea of giving News Corp (and the WSJ editorial page) direct payment in the form of a subscription goes strongly against my "moral values."