Prius vs. Camry Hybrid

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Allocationist

Prius vs. Camry Hybrid

Post by Allocationist »

Don't want to hijack the current Prius thread so I'm starting a new one. The essence of the Prius thread seems to be very favorable for that vehicle. I have a couple of friends who own the Prius and they are happy with them although they have mentioned a lack of sound suppression (road/wind noise) and a wide "A pillar" that obscures vision a bit.

The 2012 Toyota Camry hybrid has some significant improvements over the prior model series.

I'm seeking input about the new Camry hybrid including possible comparisons with the Prius. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!
Toons

Re: Prius vs. Camry Hybrid

Post by Toons »

For starters this might be informative :happy :happy

http://www.hybridcars.com/compacts-seda ... rview.html
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
ualdriver

Post by ualdriver »

Allocationist wrote:Don't want to hijack the current Prius thread so I'm starting a new one. The essence of the Prius thread seems to be very favorable for that vehicle. I have a couple of friends who own the Prius and they are happy with them although they have mentioned a lack of sound suppression (road/wind noise) and a wide "A pillar" that obscures vision a bit.

The 2012 Toyota Camry hybrid has some significant improvements over the prior model series.

I'm seeking input about the new Camry hybrid including possible comparisons with the Prius. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!
I have a Prius and my neighbor has the Camry hybrid. Both are nice cars. Do you want a slightly larger car with a trunk that gets 15-20% less mpg's or a slightly smaller car with a hatchback? To me, that is the essence of the difference between the two cars from sitting in them both. Neither he nor I have had any problems with our cars and either choice would be a good one in my opinion.

If I were looking at a new, 4 door hybrid sedan, personally I would give the new, soon to be released 2013 Ford Fusion hybrid a hard look. In my opinion the styling is much more visually appealing, although there is the risk of buying a newly designed car I guess in its first year. The new Fusion should do better on gas than the Camry hybrid as well.
scouter

Post by scouter »

I agree, they're two of the best cars made, IMO. The Camry might be better as a long-trip car, more formal and traditional sedan, while the Prius is more versatile with the hatchback, and has the extra fuel efficiency. I chose the Prius and love it, my wife has decided on the hybrid Camry for her next car!
Richard Kempf

Post by Richard Kempf »

In December I traded in my 2003 Camry LE for the newly redisigned 2012 Camry LE Hybrid and I am extremely pleased with my purchase. The interior is more spacious than the old Camry and it is very quite. Gas mileage is a fantastic 44+ mpg over 2300 miles of mostly city driving with occasional 70 mph highway driving. For an unbiased opinion, check out the April 2012 issue of Consumer Reports which chose the Camry Hybrid as its top perfoming family sedan with a rating of 93. Driving range on a tank of gas is about 700 miles.
scottjspencer

Post by scottjspencer »

I don't have any experience with the 2012 model, but I bought a 2007 Camry Hybrid in July 2007, and I love it. Based on the numbers, it looks like they've made it even better. The newer model has a higher mileage rating, and a significantly larger trunk. (My has a 10.6 cubic feet, while the 2012 has 13.1. That's almost 25% bigger.)

If I were in the market for a new car, I'd still stick with the Camry over the Prius. For one thing, if you ever have passengers in the back seat, the Camry has more space for them. It also has better acceleration, so you aren't so painfully aware that you're driving a "green" car. (I actually drive modestly, and get better mileage than the 2007 is rated for, but it's nice to know the car *can* perform.) It just feels more like a "normal" car, while still getting great mileage.

Either way, though, you'd be making a good choice. It really does just come down to personal preference.