Vitamins and Supplements

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Vitamins and Supplements

Post by Barefootgirl » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:32 pm

Do you take any vitamins or supplements - either to make up anything you're not already
getting in your diet - or as a preventative or curative?

Would love to hear what others take and if possible - how much and why
and who they go to for nutritional guidance.

Peace, BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

Sheepdog

Re: Vitamins and Supplements

Post by Sheepdog » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:15 pm

I take the following with approval, and in a couple of cases, directly prescribed by my physician because of noted deficiences in my blood tests.
Multi-vitamin/mineral supplement (personal preventative, but approved)

Fish Oil 2 1000 mg daily (cardiologist recommended as a preventative)
Calcium +D 600 mg daily (internist recommended as a preventative)

Vitamin B6 100 mg daily (prescribed)
Vitamin B12 1000 mcg monthly injection (prescribed)

I also take potassium, but that is because I am taking a diuretic.
Jim

edit: correction on B12 dosage. It should have been shown as 1000 mcg monthly injection.
Last edited by Sheepdog on Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

chaz

Post by chaz » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:22 pm

A multi-vitamin supplement.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

tyrion

Post by tyrion » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:27 pm

I try to eat a multi-color salad every day. Brocolli, red and green bell peppers, kalamata olives, sunflower seeds, spinach, egg whites, mushrooms, onion, beets, etc. I figure that's more helpful than a multivitamin. I will occasionally have one of the kids vitamins when handing them out after dinner.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:06 pm

Multivitamin (Costco version of Centrum Silver)
Calcium+D (Costco version of Caltrate D) *
Added Vitamin D *
81mg Aspirin
Megared Krill - my wife saw this on some TV medical advice show

* Vitamin D and Calcium on advice of Endocrinologist specific to my medical situation and hostory

fandango

Post by fandango » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:13 pm

I take

2 X 1200 mg fish oil capsules per day

1 X 81 mg enteric aspirin

Both advised by personal physician.

I eat a varied diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables. So I get most of my vitamins from meals.

CV

Post by CV » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:15 pm

Multivitamin (Men's One-a-Day)

Fish Body Oil (Sam's club brand), simply because I eat no fish whatsoever.

VictoriaF

Krill and fish oil

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:17 pm

It's interesting that virtually everybody (so far) takes either fish oil or krill oil. Is it a fad, or it is to stay?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

cinghiale

Post by cinghiale » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:39 pm

Victoria asked:
It's interesting that virtually everybody (so far) takes either fish oil or krill oil. Is it a fad, or it is to stay?
I don't see it as a fad, but the contamination issue will slowly become better recognized, and people will seek better (read: non fish-based) sources of the Omega-3s. Oil is oil, y'all, and fish accumulate toxins, contaminants, PCBs, and heavy metals in their fat cells. There is no way to fully purify the oil of these toxins, despite the claims that companies make on their labels.

For a very clear, research-based explanation of this, see Dr. Michael Greger's 1.5 minute video at nutritionfacts.org:
http://nutritionfacts.org/videos/fish-o ... ed-waters/

You can link to related coverage of the pervasive problem of toxins in seafood on that same site.

(By the way, I write all this with a tear in my eye. I grew up on the water, worked on a fishing boat as a teen, and love all varieties of seafood. It is beyond shameful what has happened to what used to be such an abundant source of high-quality nutrients and protein.)
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Have taken many supplements over the years including most hardcore weightlifting and bodybuilding supplements.

For the most part, these are a complete waste of money and time.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:00 pm

I think Chia seeds may become the alternative to fish oils - and more stable for storage.

bfg
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:29 pm

Multi-vitamin
Vitamins c - 500 MG
Vitamin E - 400 IU
CO Q10 - 100 MG
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:48 pm

I take 2000IU of Vitamin D daily as I try to stay out of the sun to avoid skin cancer (which I have had almost 20X operations) and must get D some other place. We have to have vitamin D and the sun is the best source, but not for me. Or, so I am told.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

SPG8

Post by SPG8 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:52 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:I think Chia seeds may become the alternative to fish oils - and more stable for storage.
There's certainly a line of thought that you don't simply want omega-3, you specifically want DHA/EPA. While chia seeds may be healthy, and have abundant omega-3, it's ALA. To follow along the same lines, the principle benefit of ALA is simply conversion to DHA/EPA. Unfortunately, that conversion is extremely inefficient.

The future probably resides in micro algae and yeast, as mentioned in the video linked in the prior post. Genetically modified yeast could produce contaminant-free omega-3 fatty acids in a sustainable manner that doesn't tax fisheries.

filmtheory

Post by filmtheory » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:05 pm

Cumulative research on the benefits of vitamins is cloudy. Some studies find that those who take multis are healthier but do not control for the fact that vitamin takers may also exercise more, eat better, etc. than the general population. Some studies find them harmful. There is plenty of evidence that just because a micro nutrient (say lycopene) has some benefits, those benefits come from actual foods (tomatoes) but not pills.

My family does not take vitamins but we do try to eat a variety of good foods. As Michael Pollan suggests, shop around the edges of the grocery store: Produce, bakery, fresh meat, dairy. Avoid the middle shelves with the processed and boxed stuff, much of which is more of a food product than a food. Of course brown rice and whole wheat pasta would be an exception to this rule.

tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:07 pm

I would take fish or krill oil, but it gives me nosebleeds. I like to keep my blood on the inside.
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister

scouter

Post by scouter » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:41 pm

I've been seeing more and more articles about recent studies that suggest that the body doesn't "recognize" and make use of vitamins when taken in pill form. So it's better to eat vitamin-rich foods, as filmtheory said. In foods, vitamins are in specific combinations and proportions (with each other and with minerals) that the body needs to utilize them. (I'm not a doc or a researcher, just repeating what I've read in many articles over the last 5 years.)

Balance

Post by Balance » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Fermented Cod Liver oil and Vitamin D3 if there is very little sun out (normally during the winter months).

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:10 pm

I've been taking a multivitamin for the last three years and haven't had a cold or sniffle during that entire time, for the first time in my adult life. It used to come like clockwork every winter and occasionally other times of the year.

I've become a believer.

YMMV

englishgirl

Post by englishgirl » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:20 pm

Vitamin B12 - 500 mcg sublingual (advice out of books - I am a mostly-vegan vegetarian)
Vitamin D3 - 2000 IU (also advice out of books)
Ovega-3 500 mg (vegetarian DHA/EPA - Ovega-3 is the brand of omega-3 that I take, so I didn't just spell that wrong). My doctor told me to take 1500 mg per day fish oil to help reduce cholesterol, but that seems an awful lot and besides, I don't eat fish, so this is my compromise.

I used to always take a multivitamin, but I ran out over a month ago and haven't bothered to replace it yet. Not sure if I will, but I probably will in a few months - a rest from taking them is appealing at the moment.
Sarah

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:02 pm

I take the daily vitamins from Dr. Weil's website. They are a bit higher than some but I like the the different components that make up the pills. Although I don't believe they are a substitute for a healthy diet. Also I take one fish oil pill a day. I previously took a baby aspirin but after reading the problems with gastro-bleeding I decided to quit taking them. I view the daily vitamins more as an insurance policy than anything else.

bru

Post by bru » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:22 pm

Multivitamin and Fish Oil daily.

An occasional Vitamin C tablet during cold season.

InsideTheCult

Post by InsideTheCult » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:58 pm

Placebo snake oil SCAM....

ramsfan

Post by ramsfan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:07 pm

Sheepdog wrote:I take the following with approval, and in a couple of cases, directly prescribed by my physician because of noted deficiences in my blood tests.
Multi-vitamin/mineral supplement (personal preventative, but approved)

Fish Oil 2 1000 mg daily (cardiologist recommended as a preventative)
Calcium +D 600 mg daily (internist recommended as a preventative)

Vitamin B6 100 mg daily (prescribed)
Vitamin B12 100 mcg monthly injection (prescribed)

I also take potassium, but that is because I am taking a diuretic.
Jim

Question about the B-12. My physician recommended a Folic Acid and B-12 daily supplement. I take 500mcg of B-12 with a meal every day. Can I get your input on why you or your physician chose the injection route?

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:34 am

1 Fish Oil once a day
1 Multivitamin once a day
1 Pro Biotic once a day
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:51 am

ramsfan
Sheepdog,
Question about the B-12. My physician recommended a Folic Acid and B-12 daily supplement. I take 500mcg of B-12 with a meal every day. Can I get your input on why you or your physician chose the injection route?
Ramsfan,
I had shown signs of anemia in my quarterly blood tests for a couple of years. (MCV was high and HGB was low) In June of 2010 he suggested a daily B12 pill. In June of 2011, even though there had been improvement, he felt it wasn't enough so he suggested a 1000 mcg monthly B12 injection. (Note: I had typed in 100 mcg on my original post which I have corrected.) He never suggested a folic acid supplement. My last test in late December showed no improvement as my HGB was still low, but the MCV was within the limits, but barely. He said he would review it this spring. I will question him about the folic acid at my next appointment.
Jim
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:21 am

Metamucil,I swear buy it

smpatel

Post by smpatel » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:35 am

Complete waste of money and time. We are truely a pill popping nation! :D

minesweep

Post by minesweep » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:04 am

1 - 1000 MG time release Vitamin C
1 - 2000 IU Vitamin D
1 - 200 MCG Selenium
1 - 1000 MG Fish Oil capsule

I took vitamin E for decades but stopped taking it after a recent study showed an increased risk for prostate cancer.

Mike

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:10 am

Barefootgirl wrote:Do you take any vitamins or supplements - either to make up anything you're not already
getting in your diet - or as a preventative or curative?
No. I get my nutrition from food. Of course, most foods that are not fresh have additives.

My Kellogg's All-Bran contains
SODIUM ASCORBATE AND ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), REDUCED IRON, NIACINAMIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID, THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN B12 AND VITAMIN D.
So I change my answer, I take vitamins, albeit not from a jar, but from these dry little pellets that aren't fit for a hamster.

Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:21 am

Balance,

What is beneficial in a fermented form of fish oil?

Thanks, BFG

SPG8

Post by SPG8 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:04 am

englishgirl wrote:Ovega-3 500 mg
Thanks, looks like exactly what I was searching for. Want to get off the fish oil. Most of the problems with contaminants were associated with earlier versions from livers (e.g. cod liver oil). Seems most now comes from small deep sea fish, anchovies and sardines. All the same, would prefer to reduce potential exposure as much as possible. Thought about krill oil, but interestingly enough, it's not sold at Whole Foods because they contend it's unsustainable. Was even considering looking into how much Lovaza would run.

I'll research it a bit more, but definitely looks promising.

Other than that...

- Probiotics, but mostly from food; full-fat Greek yogurt, kefir, unpasteurized sauerkraut
- glucosamine-chondroitin and gelatin - the glucosamine-chondroitin supplements have been dinged because they are largely ineffective for osteoarthritis. I don't have osteoarthritis. Do a lot of resistance training and just want to hold up as I age. Try to accomplish this with food, too. Occasionally, I'll decimate a whole cooked chicken. By that, I mean ingest virtually everything I can, all the cartilage in the sternum, the articular heads off the long bones, just chew it all up and send it down the gullet.

Got the chicken approach from Lindsey Vonn, who was trying to recover from an untimely injury. Can't say whether it helps, but there's a certain logic behind it, and it amuses me enough that I'll continue until learning otherwise.

porcupine

Post by porcupine » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:21 am

englishgirl wrote:Vitamin B12 - 500 mcg sublingual (advice out of books - I am a mostly-vegan vegetarian)
Vitamin D3 - 2000 IU (also advice out of books)
Ovega-3 500 mg (vegetarian DHA/EPA - Ovega-3 is the brand of omega-3 that I take, so I didn't just spell that wrong). My doctor told me to take 1500 mg per day fish oil to help reduce cholesterol, but that seems an awful lot and besides, I don't eat fish, so this is my compromise.
[...]
As a fellow vegetarian, it sucks that the medical industry has not come up with a way to replace the gelatin in capsules ... or render capsules unnecessary. :( I need to take a capsule a day (not a vitamin).

I use B12 and D3 supplements as well (on Doctor's orders in my case, though).

- Porcupine

brianH

Post by brianH » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:36 am

porcupine wrote:As a fellow vegetarian, it sucks that the medical industry has not come up with a way to replace the gelatin in capsules
They've tried. There are 'veggie caps' available that are made from plant (usually soybean) cellulose. I believe 'VCaps' is a major brand.

The problem with these pills is the inconsistent and delayed release due to our body's difficulty in breaking down cellulose. Gelatin is usually used because our digestive system is fine tuned for breaking down animal products.

pchela

Post by pchela » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:36 pm

[post from banned spammer deleted by admin alex]

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:58 pm

I take no vitamins at all. In fact, I rarely even eat any fruit. Last fruit I had (besides a small slice of watermelon 3 days ago) was a banana 2 months ago.

I do, however, eat plenty of vegetables. Particularly, I eat lots of green vegetables like broccoli, napa, cabbage, bok choy.

I do like to eat black sesame seed cereal which does have a lot of vitamins inside (the non-sugary kind).

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:01 pm

Fish Oil ~ Yuk! I can't stand the taste nor the smell.

For those of you have a health-food store near you, you can get your Omega-3's by purchasing assorted nuts. For example, Trader Joe's has an Omega-3 version of nuts which is much tastier than fish oil.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

JPH

Post by JPH » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:03 pm

Food yes; vitamins no.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:01 pm

Closing re-opened old thread.

Medical issues are off-topic here.