I think NY Giant coach Tom Coughlin is a Boglehead

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TheGuru1

I think NY Giant coach Tom Coughlin is a Boglehead

Post by TheGuru1 »

When asked how his Giants have been able to achieve what they have achieved in this run to the Super Bowl, he responded -- "Staying the course, . . . "
billjohnson

Re: I think NY Giant coach Tom Coughlin is a Boglehead

Post by billjohnson »

G-men contributed $400 towards my retirement over the last two weeks! Eli playing great...
alanf56

Post by alanf56 »

Eli was getting pounded by the Niners D. The game was lost with two uncharacteristic turnovers... One unforced I might add. Luck was on their side for sure.
jb1934

Post by jb1934 »

alanf56 wrote:Eli was getting pounded by the Niners D. The game was lost with two uncharacteristic turnovers... One unforced I might add. Luck was on their side for sure.
Luck is what happens when preparation and opportunity meet. Two very good teams.
jb
alanf56

Post by alanf56 »

jb1934 wrote:
alanf56 wrote:Eli was getting pounded by the Niners D. The game was lost with two uncharacteristic turnovers... One unforced I might add. Luck was on their side for sure.
Luck is what happens when preparation and opportunity meet. Two very good teams.
jb
Luck is also in the way the ball bounces. Literally in this case.
jb1934

Post by jb1934 »

alanf56 wrote:
jb1934 wrote:
jb
A football bounces in a very unpredictable way. All one can do is prepare to carry it, throw it,
recover it or catch it the most efficient way.
jb
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

jb1934 wrote: A football bounces in a very unpredictable way. All one can do is prepare to carry it, throw it,
jb
Or in this case, stay out of the way.
alanf56

Post by alanf56 »

/quote
Or in this case, stay out of the way./quote

Indeed sscritic you were watching! Move away from the ball. A fundamental error by a rookie. Recovered from one but then a second time? Now if that isn't a gift I don't know what is. Fact remains it was still a helluva game!
ramink

Post by ramink »

alanf56 wrote:
jb1934 wrote:
jb
I know it is easy to blame Williams but 49ers need a new quarterback and some receivers (Too bad Josh Morgan was out for the season). 2 irrelevant third down conversions for the entire game is awful.Sure Eli Manning and the Gaints struggled at times but that was against a outstanding 49er defense and punter. With the kind of field position they had all night, they should have done better.
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

I don't see the Niners offense scoring if they were still playing. They looked pretty sad in the 4th and overtime. They may want to look for a new QB. But, Two great games today.
leo383

Post by leo383 »

sscritic wrote:
jb1934 wrote: A football bounces in a very unpredictable way. All one can do is prepare to carry it, throw it,
jb
Or in this case, stay out of the way.
You will hear players yell "Peter, Peter!" on punts that aren't going to be fielded. It comes from Matthew 16:23, when Jesus tells Peter to get the heck away from him. :)

The ball tends to bounce, then come looking for the player who wants it least.
Midpack

Post by Midpack »

Two hard fought games yesterday. The Pats were very lucky to walk away with a win, not pretty, and I'm a Pats fan. You have fo feel for the Ravens kicker (and Kyle Williams) - ouch.

I sure hope it's not a repeat of Super Bowl XLII (cold shivers...).
You only live once...
alanf56

Post by alanf56 »

ramink wrote: I know it is easy to blame Williams but 49ers need a new quarterback and some receivers (Too bad Josh Morgan was out for the season). 2 irrelevant third down conversions for the entire game is awful.Sure Eli Manning and the Gaints struggled at times but that was against a outstanding 49er defense and punter. With the kind of field position they had all night, they should have done better.
I think you should ask Kyle who he thinks gave the game away. It is pretty obvious to even the most ardent Giant's fans that they would not have won that game without the unforced error. As for a new qb?? Did you watch the NO game?? I think Kyle will come out a better player from this and his teammates will undoubtedly help him reach that. That is the kind of team this is. Over and out! :)
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Once again, the Giants are 3 points underdog to the Pats. In 2007, they were 12 points under.

Lets go for yet another upset.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

That's nice, I like contrarian investing. Those who bet on growth are apt to get burned. Will they ever learn?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
JordanIB

Post by JordanIB »

alanf56 wrote:
ramink wrote: I know it is easy to blame Williams but 49ers need a new quarterback and some receivers (Too bad Josh Morgan was out for the season). 2 irrelevant third down conversions for the entire game is awful.Sure Eli Manning and the Gaints struggled at times but that was against a outstanding 49er defense and punter. With the kind of field position they had all night, they should have done better.
I think you should ask Kyle who he thinks gave the game away. It is pretty obvious to even the most ardent Giant's fans that they would not have won that game without the unforced error. As for a new qb?? Did you watch the NO game?? I think Kyle will come out a better player from this and his teammates will undoubtedly help him reach that. That is the kind of team this is. Over and out! :)
No, he's right. Alex Smith is pretty terrible and it showed over and over last night.
alanf56

Post by alanf56 »

JordanIB wrote: No, he's right. Alex Smith is pretty terrible and it showed over and over last night.
Well in that case Jordan and by YOUR standards Eli is pretty terrible as well.
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

Stupid OT rule. I think they should play for 5-7 minutes of OT and then decide. Not on first scoring!!
JordanIB

Post by JordanIB »

alanf56 wrote:
JordanIB wrote: No, he's right. Alex Smith is pretty terrible and it showed over and over last night.
Well in that case Jordan and by YOUR standards Eli is pretty terrible as well.
Nah.

He's not great, but Eli's well above average. Really not in the same discussion as an Alex Smith, but I think you know that.
alanf56

Post by alanf56 »

JordanIB wrote: Nah.

He's not great, but Eli's well above average. Really not in the same discussion as an Alex Smith, but I think you know that.
LOL I don't think you have seen the end of the Niners and Alex Smith but I think you know that... :)
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

ejvyas wrote:Stupid OT rule. I think they should play for 5-7 minutes of OT and then decide. Not on first scoring!!
I believed that the OT rule had indeed changed for playoff. In the past, it's whoever score first. Now one must score either an offensive or defensive touchdown, not cheapie field-goal during the 1st scrimmage.
Zeppcoustic

Post by Zeppcoustic »

Alex Smith won a playoff game. He isn't going anywhere next year.
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

htdrag11 wrote:
ejvyas wrote:Stupid OT rule. I think they should play for 5-7 minutes of OT and then decide. Not on first scoring!!
I believed that the OT rule had indeed changed for playoff. In the past, it's whoever score first. Now one must score either an offensive or defensive touchdown, not cheapie field-goal during the 1st scrimmage.
Still its first TD that decides victory not 5-7 mins (or 15 min) of play time which I believe should be used
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Alex Smith is pretty terrible and it showed over and over last night.
You don't think the fact his wide receivers can't get separation has anything to do with this performance? Vernon Davis probably was doubled most of the night, and Smith's wide receivers still couldn't separate.
Gordon
alanf56

Post by alanf56 »

Zeppcoustic wrote:Alex Smith won a playoff game. He isn't going anywhere next year.
Thanks Zepp and since you have that crystal ball out any predictions for the stock market this year? :D
Zeppcoustic

Post by Zeppcoustic »

alanf56 wrote:
Zeppcoustic wrote:Alex Smith won a playoff game. He isn't going anywhere next year.
Thanks Zepp and since you have that crystal ball out any predictions for the stock market this year? :D
It will oscillate.
chaz

Post by chaz »

TheGuru1 wrote:When asked how his Giants have been able to achieve what they have achieved in this run to the Super Bowl, he responded -- "Staying the course, . . . "
Very BHish.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
alanf56

Post by alanf56 »

Zeppcoustic wrote:
alanf56 wrote:
It will oscillate.
Oh good Zepp... Now I can see for sure you know everything about football and the stock market. I think however that only one of your predictions will come to fruition. Alex Smith and the Niners WILL return to the playoffs.
BlueEars

Post by BlueEars »

Tried to practice low emotional investing in that NY Giants vs 49er's game. As a lifelong 49er's fan the outcome was a bummer. Obviously the wrong coast won.

I'll be rooting for the NY Giants in the Superbowl. My dad was from New Yawk.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

And here I thought Andy Reid took honors for that. He has stayed the course for the past 13 years.

He even experienced a lost decade or more when one considers there have been NO SUPERBOWL WINS!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."